Overall Satisfaction with SharePlex
Shareplex is used to replicate data of internet access logs and redirect logs from the point of entry (transaction) to the very end of the back office (data warehouse) for business analytics. It provides data transfer pipelines that move and combine data from geographically dispersed sources to common targets, setting the foundation for a centralized and robust ETL process.
- SharePlex is highly configurable and versatile. It can handle virtually any kind of data replication needs.
- SharePlex is very robust. Its message queuing mechanism provides fast data transfer from the source to the target.
- SharePlex software is very stable and mature, and it is highly scalable and reliable.
- SharePlex support is exceptionally good. We are very satisfied with its support engineers.
- SharePlex could have provided more detailed documentation and examples for its "qview" utility. It is the tool of choice in many cases when we encounter tough issues.
- Faster data ETL process, which in turn speeds up business analysis and decision making.
- Fault-tolerance: when some replicated databases go down, others can stay up with the same data replicated by SharePlex.
- Higher capacity when business ramps up.
SharePlex is more robust than GoldenGate when it comes to replicating the particular transactions in our environment. GoldenGate has the advantage of supporting hetrogeneous databases, but it does not apply to us since we use a single database platform in this setting. In addition, the cost of software licensing of GoldenGate was higher than that of SharePlex at the time we evaluated.
SharePlex is best suited for replicating relatively small but steady streams of data, instead of huge amounts of data surge. Keep in mind that it relies on database logs (redo logs in Oracle) to replicate data in the form of "messages", and therefore it is mandatory to put the database in forced logging mode - that may be a prohibiting factor in some situations.