Oracle Database Reviews

Aditya Mohan | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

Oracle Database for critical workloads that can scale

Oracle Database forms the primary database (with MySQL as secondary) that is used for the whole organization. It is used to store both internal data (accounts payable, employee records, etc) as well as used for customer data and analytics data sets.
  • Oracle Database does security and compliance very well out of the box without the need for much configuration.
  • It works very well across on-prem and cloud deployments where we want part of the database in-house (due to compliance reasons) while the rest can be in the public cloud.
  • It is also very good in scaling to large datasets and performance numbers ( time to run a SQL query) are much better than DB2, Microsoft SQL Server etc.
  • Pricing can be improved to make it much more competitive with other RDBMS options in the space
  • Best practices documents and deployment scenarios for running Oracle Database on non-Oracle cloud platforms would be helpful (for example Oracle Database on Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure).
  • Certainly room for better integrated and automated SQL tuning.
Oracle Database is suited for for scenarios where the database is large and there is a need for reliability, security and availability at scale. The pricing reflects this. It won't be well suited and will be expensive for mostly dev and test environments or where reliability is not a factor or issue.
Read Aditya Mohan's full review
February 15, 2020

My review of Oracle Database

A lot of our applications are using Oracle Database as their data store.
  • High stability and reliability
  • A complete set of database features
  • Performance is sub-optimal when data size is large.
  • Non-trivial effort to setup. We have to build some automation so developers can save some time to set it up on their local machines.
Oracle Database should be a good fit for any applications who need a database, especially eCommerce use cases. There might be better choices for lightweight applications or applications with very large data sets.
Yes - I am a member of all three user groups. It's useful to get help from those groups and get to know the latest updates and announcements.
January 13, 2020

Oracle databases in my day to day work

Oracle is the database that stores millions of transactional data generated by the different applications that support the core of the business (health services), ensuring that integration between them is possible. Additionally, it is used to generate and analyze information to respond to surveillance and control entities.
  • Guarantees the reliability and availability of data when required
  • Supports the processing of large blocks of information
  • Licensing prices in additional packages
  • Timely response by the support team when required
The Oracle database is suitable for storing large volumes of information; I have demonstrated its strength in writing data. Enabling and acquiring additional package licenses is very powerful guaranteeing the security and traceability of the information. The Oracle database is less appropriate for processing large volumes of data distributed across multiple instances.
Not yet, but I'm interested in Oracle user groups - It would generate value to the organization by belonging to groups that: 1) Socialize success stories and lessons learned in implementations in Oracle databases. 2) Report updates and important patches. 3) Socialize the use of each Oracle database package
February 18, 2020

Excellent experience using Oracle products over the past 18+ years.

We use Oracle Database for storing relational data for our OLTP/warehouse DBs. We also use it as a high availability solution (Data Guard). It is being used enterprise-wide. It helps to store, retrieve, and run analytics on data. The Dataguard also helps offload the queries from primary and helps with performance.
  • Highly performant/reliable and good technical support
  • ACID -- Supports ACID transactions
  • Non-structured Data -- XML, hard to use
  • High Availability -- Real application clusters are available but it is difficult to set up and maintain
It is highly performant and guarantees data consistency based on ACID compliance. Oracle Active Data Guard allows us to open the standby database for read operations. With Oracle 19c , Oracle also allows to do DML redirection on standby DB which can help with some reports that need temporary tables.
Using XML/non-structured data is not easy and I have noticed performance issues when the XML becomes deeply nested.
Yes - Washington DC Oracle user group NATCAP. I attend local user group sessions and exchange knowledge and it gives an opportunity to socialize.
Lisandro Fernigrini | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 04, 2019

Non-stop traffic with Oracle Database

We use Oracle 12c databases to store information from many of the critical modules of our MLFF (Multi Lane Free Flow) tolling solutions. Oracle Database 12c can handle variable workloads, maintaining throughput at peak moments. Our solutions utilize many different technologies, but rely on Oracle Database as a key component.
  • Oracle Database 12c has the ability to scale to support intensive workloads.
  • PL/SQL provides an efficient way to develop data-intensive processes that are able to interact with data without transferring it to an app server
  • Partitioning, Compression and Encryption are some of the optional features that enhance performance, reduce costs and secure the information stored in Oracle Database 12c
  • New (actually it is more than five years old) multi-tenant architecture is not as straightforward as SQL Server, but it has been enhanced in Oracle 12c Release 2 and later 18c and 19c.
  • Many features require additional licensing (either as options or as packs) that increase the total cost
I believe that Oracle Database can be used almost on any scenario, starting with small department solutions to actually any enterprise level system. It includes many features that allow a single database to work as an OLTP and Data Warehouse at the same time, reducing hardware requirements and the need to implement ETL or integration solutions between OLTP and DW.
Yes - I'm a member of AROUG (Argentina Oracle User Group). As a member, I collaborate on the organization of events like the former OTN Tour (now Oracle Groundbreakers Tour) that visits Argentina each year. This allows me to interact with Oracle professionals from other parts of my country, and also with speakers that come from all around the world. It is a great experience that provides both "technical" knowledge but also a lot of new perspectives from people working in different countries.
Read Lisandro Fernigrini's full review
Balázs Kiss | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2019

THE Database and RDBMS

The most robust, stable, and biggest RDBMS I have ever encountered. As the biggest member on the market, and one of the leaders in IT industry, Oracle database is still and probably will be the standard database that everybody would want to use. The enormous knowledge and science and effort and functionality that is put into this product is insane - but for a price.
  • "THE" Database, period. No more robust, secure, and stable relational database exists.
  • Support from a wide range of professionals all over the world. Their academies and documentation is well above the average.
  • Absolute best reliability in the market: ACID was kinda invented by those guys.
  • Thousands of supporting tools, technologies, etc.
  • They moved into the cloud! and are now a quite strong competitor vs. Amazon Web Cloud.
  • The licences around using the DB are quite pricey. But hey, for a high quality, you cannot expect a freeware software...
Although this database is massive, it's the best selection for quite a lot of things. From the automatic query optimization to the physical table lookup, every single aspect is a product of years of innovation. Most of the tools/techniques used today in other DBs were first was implemented in this. Oracle Database can fulfill nearly every database requirement a small, a typical, or a giga-company needs. With the right professionals, this tool can run countries!
Yes - Oracle User group. I am also interested in the Java group, as the local Oracle User group provided a lot of opportunities to meet professionals, participate in meetups, events, and actually brought a lot of contract opportunities. These are a very well formed, elite groups, where every professional is welcome.
Read Balázs Kiss's full review
Eduin Zuloaga | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 20, 2019

Oracle 12c feedback in ERMX

We use Oracle Database 12c in our transactional system named Watts. It allows us to have a reliable platform to handle our car ticket product where users can pay for fuel, reload balances, and obtain consumer reports per vehicle. He have 2 clusters of Oracle 12c to warranty high availability and also to handle our DRP. We recommend Oracle products because the support, price and their technology is very robust and reliable.
  • Replication using GoldenGate. We replicate almost 500k transactions per day between Brasil and México and it works perfectly.
  • Velocity, quality, and support.
  • Relational database to handle financial transaction systems using OLTP when customers pay for fuel.
  • Parallel execution to apply multiple CPU and I/O resources to the execution of a single database operation.
  • It's hard to find Oracle specialists.
  • Oracle specialists are expensive.
We primarily use Oracle in our organization, except for a few applications which use other databases like SQL Server, Redis and MongoDB. Primarily, Oracle Database 12c is used to manage data for various applications all across the organization by multiple applications like Ticket Car, DataMart, ERP for invoicing and master catalog, and for Watts processor by Edenred Brasil.
Read Eduin Zuloaga's full review
Zhann Goloborodko | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 20, 2019

Immensely complicated

The Oracle database is currently used in several places throughout the institute. For starters, it works as our website's back end. We don't store any LOB objects, simply base data types. Similarly, we have developed a handful of custom applications that run on top of Oracle. Each application is a bit unique, but overall the underlying structure isn't too much different from the Website. Lastly, we use Oracle to store one of our largest data provider's information. Currently, this is in the realm of 2 billion rows spread across a small subset of tables.
  • The database itself rarely goes down.
  • Bringing up new Oracle instances is relatively painless.
  • With the help of data pumps, moving data from place to place is a breeze.
  • If you pay for their support, while they aren't the speediest, they are incredibly well informed and are an amazing help.
  • Immensely complicated. Of all the databases we use, this one has by far the most moving parts.
  • It is highly recommended to have a dedicated Oracle DBA on staff if you want your databases healthy. We have no such difficulty with Sybase, SQL Server or SAP IQ.
  • While the Support Team is incredibly informative, they are often very slow to respond and are often unwilling to answer questions that don't directly solve the problem at hand.
While Oracle is more or less a bulletproof database server, if you don't have an Oracle DBA on staff you are in for a lot of trouble. We use Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, and SAP IQ. Of the 4, Oracle is the most painful to troubleshoot when things get weird. Now, if you do have Oracle DBA's on staff, Oracle is a perfectly good database solution, but I can't say that it is in any way better than Sybase and I would say it is a touch less reliable that SQL Server.
Yes - I am in various user groups for Java, where I am often the person asking questions, rarely the person answering them.

I am also a member of Oracle's native user group. However, I find it far more effective to open a support ticket, so this is the direction I tend to lean.
Read Zhann Goloborodko's full review
Tiesong Lu | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 19, 2019

Sr. Oracle DBA, working as an Oracle DBA for 20+ years since Oracle 7.3.4

I upgraded all Oracle production databases (about 15 production databases) from 11g R2 to 12c R2. The Oracle 12c databases are used university-wide, and are really critical to the university business.
  • I believe other users have reviewed the pros already. I am addressing only the Cons of 12c R2.
  • SYSAUX tablespace grows rapidly. I didn't need to add space to SYSAUX last a few years in 11g. But after upgrading to 12c R2 12.2.0.1, SYSAUX grows daily, and I have to add space to SYSAUX regularly, about every 2 weeks. I am currently opening an Oracle SR and working with Oracle Support on this issue.
  • Some of our small databases only use about 5GB excluding SYSAUX. But SYSAUX uses 5GB alone!
  • Almost all universities (if not all) in the USA have been using Banner application. But Banner app users fail to log on 12c Release 2 databases after upgrading to 12c R2 from 11g because of an Oracle Bug related to password-protected profile. I applied an interim bug to work around this issue. However, since Oct 2018, the PSU patching will not work. I must rollback the interim bug, and then patch the PSU, and then apply the interim patch again to resolve the Oracle bug. I asked Oracle to include the interim in the PSU in Oct 2018. But up to PSU Jul 2019, Oracle didn't implement it yet!
One of the features that benefits me is that it is able to set up an audit on specific tables to specific users, via setup Audit policy.
Read Tiesong Lu's full review
Shailandra Vaish | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 19, 2019

Oracle 12c usage feedback for financial sector firm.

We primarily use Oracle in our organization, except for a few applications which use other databases like PostgresSQL, SQL Server, etc. Primarily DB is used to manage data for various applications all across the organization by multiple applications. Now, with some of the new applications, they are using some AWS or third-party databases as well.
  • First of all DB needs to be upgraded to Oracle 12c for support prospective from Oracle.
  • Oracle 12 has some great features with respect to auditing.
  • Keeping the data with respect to hot and cold rows is also a great features helping in managing data well.
  • It had installation issues where it needed to have a patch applied before installation could begin. Downloaded software should have been tested before providing it to the user.
  • Oracle 12.1 was not very stable so we had to migrate it to 12.2 after some time.
Most of the functionality needed by the application was already supported by 12c, so I did not explore any other features needed. I believe 12c may not be suitable for applications with a small footprint due to larger infrastructure requirements. That is why many developers have chosen databases such as PostgresSQL or MongoDB.
Not yet, but I'm interested in Oracle user groups - I will be interested in the following OUG membership. Hopefully, it will help me stay ahead with the new updates in these areas.

Oracle OUG
Oracle EBS OUG
Oracle Cloud
Read Shailandra Vaish's full review
Richard Hardin | TrustRadius Reviewer

Oracle and VSE Corp

The Oracle database is currently what houses our data in relation to our corporate ERP system. The database sits on an Oracle Database 12c appliance for ease of access and use. On the ODA, this Oracle Database 12c is 1 of 5. Also running in parallel are another five that run for production, testing, and development. This database and architecture were selected for performance and security reasons
  • Performance - We have several ERP systems all running on various platforms. By far the best performance in terms of consistency being up and available is our Oracle platform. To put into scale, out of all three platforms, since I have been employed, Oracle has not been down once, while the other two have been down multiple times, to the point that my attendance at OOW2019 is focused on migration from other platforms to Oracle.
  • Security - The matter of security is huge. One of the biggest points in choosing an Oracle database and appliance over anything else is the security it provides in counter to anything else on the market.
  • Training - While there is an enormous amount of training available, there are still gaps in terms of availability for classroom-style learning. I have found it more effective to be in a classroom setting where one is held accountable at that moment in time as opposed to self-paced (pure personal preference).
  • Cost - While we love the databases and appliances, the cost of maintaining is becoming an issue when competitors are coming in at such a lower point. Pushing this to a more profits oriented C-level makes justification difficult at times.
Well suited as the base backend structure for any ERP system or for EDW structure in the cloud. Less appropriate for a small business start-up.
Yes - Oracle Group, Huntsville, Alabama
I get large value from being able to bounce thoughts and ideas from others who have gone through or encountered an issue that I may be dealing with. Also, getting feedback on how others have dealt with the cost issues when it comes to presenting to an executive team is great.
Read Richard Hardin's full review
William DeVrieze | TrustRadius Reviewer

Audit and Compliance Automation through Oracle 12c

It is being used across departments. We used it to automate our audit and compliance cases, as well as case management. This year we be implementing 100% of our case management, and all new audits will be worked in the system as well. Currently, 100% of our compliance cases are worked within the database.
  • An automated case management system has eliminated our duplication of effort in most instances.
  • Having electronic work papers has allowed us to access other case files so we have access to more data saving us time and stopping the need for duplicate request.
  • Our compliance cases are very task-oriented and the out of the box flow works very well with these cases.
  • From the audit perspective, we have had to customize a lot to meet our electronic work paper needs.
  • We have quite a few open Oracle service requests that have been outstanding for years.
  • The history around the completed task is lacking out of the box.
For compliance activities, it is very useful. It also works very well for managing all of our different case types. From an audit perspective, I wouldn't recommend it based on all the needed customization. Over customization has also led to performance issues. This may be, in part, a product of our agency as well as some limitations of the database.
Read William DeVrieze's full review
John Wedlake | TrustRadius Reviewer

Johnny Rotten's Oracle Database Review

Oracle Database 12c is being used to store data which is used to process and pay benefits for Canadian military veterans. It is used by the entire organization to provide services and financial support to still serving and released soldiers.
  • It is able to store large amounts of data in a structured environment making complex development and maintenance more manageable.
  • It is able to perform large and complex queries required for display in front-end systems, for reporting purposes and for trouble-shooting. Oracle functions, procedures, and packages are very useful in developing complex functionality for display and input on the client-side.
  • It is very transparent; the data is easy to access, see and understand, which is significant for troubleshooting and maintenance.
  • Upgrades have been relatively painless.
  • SQL Developer is missing some of the easy to use GUI tools used to check dependencies, grants and synonyms, and other simple DBA functions used by developers.
  • SQL Developer interface is slow, and code completion assistant is unresponsive at times.
  • I would like to see a cleaner way to process data results without re-retrieving data in cursors. We are currently using object types.
It is well suited for large enterprise applications, but not for smaller applications.
Read John Wedlake's full review
Nanie Asedillo | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 18, 2019

The most resilient database right now!

The database is very robust and resilient. I like that Oracle is continuously developing and improving it's product.
I work mostly on the enterprise and a lot of HA features. RAC has come a long way from its initial release in 9i and has made my job easier when it comes to troubleshooting and fixing issues. ADG has also come a long way and has resolved a lot of our latency issues and performance issues.
  • Active data guard is an awesome feature to have. It helps unload your workload for read-only stuff
  • RMAN backup makes it easy to backup and restore your database
  • RAC has helped us make our application available 24/7
  • Log collection when troubleshooting
  • Grid control is very heavy, we need a lighter version just for monitoring and alert triggering
  • Tablespace fragmentation management tools should be provided
  • One item in my wish list is that Oracle would make it easier to collect diagnostic files in one command whenever there's an issue. It takes a lot of time collecting TFA files and ADRCI is not enough
It is the most resilient database that I've used.
Read Nanie Asedillo's full review
Jatel Desai | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 17, 2019

My experience with the new Oracle 12c

Oracle 12c is being used by DIR to create relational databases for transmission of CA workers comp claims. We use it to manage data regarding any occupational illness or injury. This includes doctors, patients, injury, and prescription information. We then run reports on the data to get analytics on various things like opioid usage and the amount of injured employees in California in a given month.
  • New bug fixes
  • Easy for structure design
  • Easy to switch from older Oracle versions
  • The current private/public cloud options are very black/white
  • Performance was lacking in some cases as wait times increased
  • In moving to 12c, there was a lot of workarounds needed for our current system to be fully functional
12c is appropriate for anyone using an Oracle database already and needs to upgrade. Similar database models can also lateral. The pluggable databases are great for use in both provisioning and portability. For those who need self-service provisioning, 12c is very useful.
Read Jatel Desai's full review
OMAR ROSALES LOPEZ | TrustRadius Reviewer

I Like it

We provide consultancy service to a company's different sectors. In my account, we service a company in the financial sector. We provide services such as change and incident management, we work on service requests to provide access and manage users privileges, and troubleshoot performance issues at the query level to avoid impacts on established SLAs.
  • Provide edge technology.
  • Customer support is sometimes bad and if the ticket is not high priority It could take a lot of time to be attended to.
For data warehouse environments, it is a great option. We used to run it using a non-EXA appliance and batches used to take like 3 to 4 hours but it was reduced to 30 min which helped our customers. I think Oracle has an option for any need that any customer has.
No - all the ones asked for (Oracle, Java or MySQL)
Read OMAR ROSALES LOPEZ's full review
Rui Amaral | TrustRadius Reviewer

Oracle Database is Unparalleled

I support the decision-makers in deciding the database platform to use, both on-premise and within the cloud. The databases are usually operational ones (OLTP) for both custom and ERP applications. Some are enterprise data warehouses. All are to solve business decisions usually within a retail or financial vertical.
  • Complex query - this is true for relational databases but more so for Oracle due to its robust implementation of ANSI-SQL and the relational paradigm for data management.
  • The various options available within the database are second to none. No one has the same level of partitioning as Oracle does for example.
  • Even though some other databases have similar capabilities no one can match Oracle RAC to any real degree.
  • Oracle is slowly moving this was but allowing the database to consume more data repositories and query them all from a single interface would be a great enhancement. Oracle Big SQL has this but is a paid option that sits outside of the database and has access to a small number of repositories (HDFS for example).
  • Make licensing more easily consumable and client-friendly. This is the biggest bone of contention that is pushing customers from what is a truly great product.
Oracle Database is well suited for practically any data store. The hardest portion though is using large objects, such as images, and being able to query those objects.
Read Rui Amaral's full review
Habeeb Akbar | TrustRadius Reviewer

Oracle Database is the best

Our ERP is running on Oracle Database. We have 11 companies using the database, from the finance department, HR, and supply chain. We have issues with optimization and replicating due to slow links.
  • OLTP transactions are so very fast. We have 5,000 concurrent users and results are shown so fast.
  • Compatible with different application vendors and require less configuration. We are using SharePoint, Sales Online, and other applications.
  • Data replication with ADG is very powerfull and requires less latency. Currently, we have real-time replication without much interference.
  • Oracle should have a single implementation method for all platforms regardless of different operating systems.
  • Migration tool for other databases should be quick, without a user interface.
  • Data cleansing and data validation tools needed.
Oracle database is a perfect choice when customers have Oracle hardware and they're looking for relaible OS like Linux and Solaris. Customers who have Oracle applications will find appropriate to have Oracle Database due to single point of support and fewer resource requirements to maintain the data.
Oracle Database will be less appropriate for customers who have a smaller budget and hardware with slower performance.
Not yet, but I'm interested in Oracle user groups - I am a member of IT groups in Saudi Arabia and the middle east. I'm happy to join an Oracle technology group to know the benefits and latest features.
Being a member of the user group, we share the correct way to maintain and manage the technology. We get to know the best practices and methodologies for future solutions.
Read Habeeb Akbar's full review
Holman Cárdenas, M.Eng, TOGAF®, ITIL® | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 05, 2019

Oracle Database review

As a leader in the healthcare field, Oracle Database 12c is used in the whole organization. It is used to host all of the data for our in-house and several external software solutions, along another Oracle solutions (i.e. ODI), in order to address the performance, services and daily tasks of our business.
  • Secure - Great security by itself and along additional packs (Advanced Security).
  • Excellent perfomance and availability
  • Lot of add-in packs that complement and strengthen the ecosystem
  • Complex - not easy to find qualified Oracle administrators
  • Oracle training is very expensive
  • Complicated interface - should be more user-friendly (yes, even for tech users)
Oracle has been the top choice and the best relational database solution in the market for years..for companies that can afford to pay for it. Every Oracle component is very expensive, so it is not as well suited for a small company which cannot afford to have a large budget for it.
Read Holman Cárdenas, M.Eng, TOGAF®, ITIL®'s full review
greg van stekelenburg | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 23, 2019

Oracle DB

Cornerstone utilizes Oracle DB at our organization as well as recommends to other organizations for purchase as well as manages existing Oracle DB installations. We provide managed services for organizations that have the Oracle DB. Additionally we upgrade older versions to the newer version of the DB.
  • Growth capability- Will allow you to grow and upgrade from std to enterprise edition as needed for functionality
  • Security options available
  • Enterprise level product
  • Can be pricing if run on commodity servers when you don't need full capacity because of licensing
  • Std Edition has limited features and often needs to be upgraded to Enterprise edition
  • Can be complicated to install properly
Standard edition for small organizations that don't need partitioning or multi-tenant capabilities. Runs best on Oracle engineered systems and has much more licensing flexibility
Yes - Oracle Atlanta User Group. Good contacts - good information on other Oracle technology uses
Read greg van stekelenburg's full review
Binu Nair | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 02, 2019

Tekvista's Oracle DB 12 c Review

Oracle Database 12 C is used by our entire organization. It is used for our data repository. Oracle 12c has number of features and easily scalable for enterpise requirements. Along with the features, support is provided for integration with different platforms which helps in building applications with different technologies possible.
  • Large set of data can be stored & retrieved easily
  • Cloud based so can retrieve from anywhere, anytime
  • Difficult for beginners to learn
  • Not optimized for low performance systems
  • License is expensive
Oracle 12c is not optimized for low performance systems and makes it difficult for beginners to try it when learning.
Read Binu Nair's full review
Raul Molina | TrustRadius Reviewer

Oracle Database Review

Oracle Database is the principal database engine for the operations of my company because is a big enterprise, it is managing millions of records of information about final users. Great features combined like Real Application Clusters, Dataguard, and ASM are just a few of the great things that Oracle Database offers. In addition, we are an Oracle partner and deploy Oracle database in the infrastructure of external customers.
  • Complex engine with powerful flexibility.
  • Recoverable at the lowest level.
  • Works worldwide.
  • SQL plus rendition like in Windows environments.
I would recommend it for telecommunication companies due to the volume of information managed by these companies.
Not yet, but I'm interested in Oracle user groups
Read Raul Molina's full review
Seshagiri Parupalli | TrustRadius Reviewer

Oracle Database 12c Review

We use Ellucian Banner for the college. The backend is an Oracle database. We are currently on 11.2.0.4 and are planning to upgrade to 12.2.0.1. I also have some databases on 12.1.0.2.
  • Easy to manage and maintain.
  • Backup and cloning to development instances are easy.
  • Restoring a full database or a particular table is easy.
  • Performance was better compared to 11gR2.
  • Oracle LOBs is still an issue.
  • Function-based indexes are still a problem
  • Query optimization needs improvement.
Higher education is well suited for Oracle Database 12c. We also recommend 12c to the HR and Financial Aid departments within our college.
Read Seshagiri Parupalli's full review
Frank Lupercio | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 18, 2019

Oracle and Visual Studio 2019... no developer tools yet!

Multiple departments use Oracle and different software use connections to multiple databases that are in Oracle. It allows connectivity with all applications and it's useful for all the reporting tools we have. We can keep all our customer data in one central location.
  • Oracle allows you to connect to multiple reporting tools.
  • Oracle has extensive patches and distributes them in a timely manner when they release them.
  • They can handle multiple databases and hold tons of data history.
  • It is very reliable and doesn't crash like other products.
  • SQL Developer lacks functionality that would be useful, like displaying all records at once when you query
  • SQL Developer crashes a lot and it is buggy. We would love to use it more but it is hard to use at times.
  • They haven't or don't release Oracle Data tools for Visual Studio 2019. We are almost at the end of the year 2019 and still no data tools yet.
  • Connection to .NET is kind of complicated and not very easy as compared to Microsoft SQL Server that allows you to connect easier.
  • Oracle, in general, doesn't compare in terms of use with SQL Server. Data takes a little bit longer to get pulled when you create .Net applications.
  • Connections have to be opened and closed or else you can end up with multiple connections open. As opposed to SQL Server where it opens the connection and it is closed immediately with very little code.
  • Oracle doesn't provide many examples of how Oracle implements and interacts with .NET.
Well suited for large data and for complex applications. It is great, secure, and support, in general, is good.

Not well suited for small companies (cost) and for home projects. There is not a smaller version of Oracle available for home use like SQL Server. You can find many free options for your home or small business without having to pay thousands of dollars compared to Oracle.
Read Frank Lupercio's full review
Ken Turner | TrustRadius Reviewer

Oracle Database 12c Rocks

80-85 percent of data from the university is stored on an Oracle Database and all apps connect to our DB.
  • Recovery. Recovering the database is more reliable than any other I know of.
  • Speed and performance.
  • Reliable.
  • Querying large amounts of data, fast.
  • Recovery of a database to a point in time needs to be easier.
The Oracle Database is well suited in any environment that needs to store large amounts of data or support multiple applications across different platforms.
Yes - GitHub & Oracle
Read Ken Turner's full review

About Oracle Database

The Oracle Database, now in edition 19c, is presented by the vendor as an industry leading database that delivers leading-edge innovations, including machine learning to enable self-driving data management. An enterprise, database cloud service, it is designed to support mixed workloads through any deployment strategy, on premises or in the cloud.

For more information visit https://www.oracle.com/database