Maximize insight and free up time.
Updated July 17, 2020

Maximize insight and free up time.

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM)

ARM is being used by our IT department mainly for auditing of Active Directory, file server permissions, and Exchange mailbox access. ARM has allowed for visualization of permissions that allow users access to specific resources. Being able to visualize the permissions and access through a single view has been helpful for internal auditing and maintenance purposes. We are currently in the process of developing the custom JSON scripts to allow for one-click provisioning of users.
  • Auditing is simplified for user permissions and access to corporate resources. The flow diagrams show which group is granting access.
  • Provisioning if user accounts is simplified and standardized along with easy detection of scope creep.
  • Developing of a self service password reset portal would make ARM even more critical to our infrastructure.
  • Overall positive. I have used ARM to develop our active directory permissions and group assignments to be used in a new domain for the company.
Selected Solarwinds arm because we were already heavily invested in Solarwinds products. The brand speaks volumes and ARM did not disappoint. It has performed as expected and been a useful tool in preparing reports for auditors.
We are in the process of developing this portion of access rights manager, but preliminary testing shows there is a high probability of the impact being undeniable.
Detection of scope creep for internal users and lower level admins.
  • SolarWinds Log & Event Manager
  • SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
  • SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor
  • SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer
  • SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
  • SolarWinds Kiwi Syslog Server
It has been smooth overall. Utilizing a single product allows for easier integration, reduces complexity, and gives us a greater ROI. We have been able to implement monitoring solutions for multiple sites across the globe.
Auditing of ad permissions, exchange permissions, simple provisions of end user accounts and mangement if users as they move from department to department within the company.

SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM) Support

Solid and responsive support. It is a fairly new product and the quality of support will only get better.
Assistance with upgrade your environment (where applicable) - NA
It helps us to evaluate if we are leveraging our solution to the best of our and the products ability. Furthermore, it is beneficial to ensure the solution is properly deployed and is scalable for future demand.
The support is always good. One time does not specifically stand out due to the consistency. I have never had an issue I opened a ticket for that was not resolved within the same day.
I have not used support for upgrades. The upgrades are fairly straight forward, but knowing support is there to assist is comforting. Solarwinds documentation is excellent and when combined with the thwack community, is nearly flawless.

SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM) Smart Start

I used smartstart at my precious company and the engineer I worked with went well above and beyond. Orion was deployed the week before we started our sessions, so, we were able to use the smartstart time to go over the Orion platform and other products purchases in greater depth and detail. I would highly recommend smartstart to those purchasing Solarwinds products for the first time. For those willing to dive right in, Smartstart is best utilized when you attempt to setup the products on your own. Read the documentation and come with questions so you can make the most of it.
Direct interaction with Smart Start technician - Outstanding experience. I have now done two full blown ground up implementations of Solarwinds ARM and Orion products and my knowledge of it would not be where it is today without having used smartstart on my first deployment. If used appropriately, you will definitely get the most out of it.
The deployment was done before the smartstart sessions began. This allowed me to ask detailed questions over the allotted time on specifics such as:
best practices for managing and maintaining
customizing views, dashboards, and permissions
writing custom queries for reports or views
creating custom reports utilizing report builder and swql
server side tools to assist with troubleshooting
troubleshooting snmp related issues utilizing snmp walk and uploading the appropriate mibs.

All of the above. I gained invaluable confidence and knowledge about Solarwinds because of it and the engineer I worked with. From uncovering new features, sharing ideas for custom solutions, building dashboards, implementing alerts with apis, auto remediation for some basic troubleshooting issues, create views specifically for other departments to monitor their infrastructure and more.
Easy as pie. Clear cut instructions.

ROI

• Product Features
  • Product Usability
  • Product Reputation
  • Prior Experience with the Product
  • Vendor Reputation
  • Existing Relationship with the Vendor
The single most important factor was likely prior experience with the product. The company I currently worked for experienced a major outage resulting in an abundance of meetings where one of the CAPAs was to implement a monitoring solution for files to track in detail and alert on certain thresholds. I recommended ARM because having implemented and utilized when the product was first acquired from 8MAN and management was comfortable knowing there was a resource familiar with the product which reduced time to production and allowed for business and auditing needs to be met.
Unfortunately, we have not taken advantage of this due to an in house application that is in the process of being phased out.
It has helped more to identify security lapses especially with permissions in sharepoint online, AD, and restricted file shares and quickly resolve the issues before they are reported. It has also allowed us to provide access to other functions within the IT department to view permissions without having to give more access than needed.
I don’t know how much time was saved

Using SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM)

20 - IT Compliance
Systems Engineers
Director/Executives
SAP
Developers
helpdesk
security
1 - Systems engineer with prior ARM experience. Also, the one that supports our Solarwinds environment.
  • Auditing
  • Reporting
  • Alerting
  • We need to have additional people to develop the product. One systems engineer wearing multiple hats really prevents ARM from what it could and should be.
Everything said earlier.
SolarWinds Kiwi Syslog Server, SolarWinds Security Event Manager (SEM), SolarWinds Serv-U, SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM), SolarWinds AppOptics, SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer, SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (VMAN), SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor, SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA)

Evaluating SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM) and Competitors

SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM) Implementation

Change management was a major issue with the implementation - People want things but don’t want to change the process they perform.