SolarWinds Virtualization Manager- saves time and money
Dathon Stokes | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 15, 2018

SolarWinds Virtualization Manager- saves time and money

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager

We have a small group of systems administrators who use VMAN to send email notifications when problems arise with our VMWare Vcenter systems, as well as a quick dashboard that is always displayed giving us a list of potential problems in real-time.
  • Customizable dashboard, giving you only the information you want to see (of course, it's only as useful as the time you put into configuring it.)
  • Customizable email notifications (once again- you have to know what you want to report on, and specify that explicitly.)
  • It also provides capacity management, but this has never been an issue for us, so I haven't really utilized this feature.
  • I would like to see a little more intelligence built into the application. More out of the box reports, notifications and displays that are useful without needing built by the customer. It seems that most Sys Admins are all looking for the same information and notifications- why not have a few build a very useful dashboard, and have that be the default- and then still allow for further customization?
  • We've spent less time troubleshooting issues- when a problem comes up, we check our dashboard first.
  • At times it's allowed us to resolve problems before the customer is even aware of them.
It's allowed us to expand our infrastructure without expanding our staff.
I've tried using capacity reports and the truth is we usually are in favor of under-utilizing our hosts, so capacity is never an issue.
I actually did not know this was a feature... I'll have to look into that.
I've only tried out a few products, but we were already using SolarWinds for other things, and the capability of having all your monitoring products integrated is extremely valuable. Also, it is much easier to work with than VMWare's monitoring tools.
It has a much simpler and easier to use interface than VMWare's product line for monitoring- however, if you're a VMWare shop, and you want to go all VMWare- this could be a redundant product.