Overall Satisfaction with Sophos UTM
We used Sophos UTM to provide a common manageable firewall infrastructure across over a dozen sites across the globe. It allowed us to protect the sites with URL filtering and anti-virus protection and create a global VPN for a competitive cost. The interface was easy to learn for our engineers and the central management tools helped me monitor the entire estate.
- IPSEC VPNs are very easy to set up and I managed to get them to work with several different manufacturers on the other end.
- The user interface is reasonably clear and easy to search complex configurations.
- High availability is very easy to set up.
- When they were Astaro the customer service left a lot to be desired and the hardware could have some quality control problems. Support got much better when Sophos took over.
- It allowed me to add additional controls to my internet access, reducing my malware risks and allowing me to control access to websites easily.
All firewalls take some learning to get used to the interface, but the Sophos UTM makes more sense than the Cisco ASA or the SonicWall interface. As an experienced engineer who has used dozens of different routers it was easy to figure out how to configure what I needed. Sophos Tech support is excellent.
It is easy to set up, and easy to learn, especially as you can get a free home license to use and play with. I use the virtual appliance at the moment and it just works.