Tableau Server Review 83 of 92
Tableau Server Review: "Tableau from a BI consultant view."
https://www.trustradius.com/business-intelligence-biTableau ServerUnspecified8.1580101
Charles Hooper profile photo
Updated July 07, 2015

Tableau Server Review: "Tableau from a BI consultant view."

Score 10 out of 101

Software Version
Modules Used
Desktop, Public, reader, Server, Onbline

Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Server

As a consultant, I work with many organizations, all using Tableau Sever differently. Some implementations are department oriented, and, some are total enterprise installations.
Tableau Server facilitates the secure, controlled, sharing of work done my Tableau Desktop analysts and developers.
  • Ease of use - connecting to different data sources, and, in visualizing data.
  • Rapid and intuitive analysis.
  • Easy to share (Tableau Server)
  • In Tableau Desktop version 8.1, a direct interface to the 'R' open source statistical library was implemented. This allows for a major enhancement in the ability to do high-end statistics. I would love to see an interface where I did not, also, have to know 'R' syntax. But, for now, this enhancement is great!
Looked at Cognos, Microstrategy and Business Objects. All were too IT / technical intensive. Moved to Tableau due to ease of use.
No question - I am a "lifer"!
  • As a consultant, it is my clients that benefit. NDAs prevent my disclosing details.
I've been to Tableau Customer Conferences. The passion of the customer base is like no other...

Tableau Server Feature Ratings

Customizable dashboards
Drill-down analysis
Formatting capabilities
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Delivery Scheduling
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Predictive Analytics
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Responsive Design for Web Access
Dedicated iOS Application
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile

Using Tableau Server

Users and Roles

1 - I am sole proprietor - only employee.

Support Headcount Required

1 - Sole proprietor. I don't "support it". I use it. It never needs support - it just works.

Business Processes Supported

• I am a BI consultant - use Tableau for my clients (retail, manufacturing, healthcare, education, etc.)
  • Ease of use - allows users that are not technical, but, know their business, to gain insights.

Evaluating Tableau Server and Competitors

Products Replaced

Switched to Tableau back in 2005 when I saw where they were headed. Had previously been a Brio Query user.

Tableau Server Implementation

Implementation

Easy and fast. Desktop and Server can be implemented in well under an hour.

Implementation Details / Implementation Partner

• Implemented in-house
Self service implementation. No issues implementing Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server.

Tableau Server Training

Training Types Used

• Online training
  • Self-taught

Online Training

Tableau has excellent on-demand training material - web based and free....

Ease of Tableau Server Training

It is easy to get started - new users can be productive quickly with an hour of web based, free training. The real power of Tableau is tremendous - not sure anyone could ever learn it all!

Tableau Server Support

Support

My support requests are rare, but, always acted on, and resolved, quickly.

Premium Support

No - Full support is included - no additional charge...

Integrating Tableau Server

Future Integration Plans

• No. Tableau is not an "integrate with" type of tool. It connects to all kinds of data sources to enable rapid and intuitive ad hoc query and analysis, as well as building analytic views/dashboards for sharing.

Relationship with Tableau

Key Negotiation Points

I did not negotiate - felt the price I paid was more than fair.