Very little not to love
November 11, 2014

Very little not to love

Software Version

Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Desktop

I've developed dashboards for sales and marketing using Tableau, as well as supervised others building dashboards. I generally find it very easy to use. The online tutorials are extremely helpful and have gotten me past most issues I've faced. There is functionality that is still lacking that I would like to see. For example, it would be helpful if you could do multi-step aggregation, which isn't available now. This causes the need to do some aggregations outside of Tableau and create another data source.
  • Visualizations
  • Multivariable filtering
  • Multi-step aggregations
Qlikview, SiSense - I find Tableau to be more intuitive. I found the others to have a steeper learner curve.
Right now, I'm building on my clients' licenses, but I would definitely renew.
Tableau has connectors to a wide variety of data types. I haven't done a lot of merging of data within Tableau itself, but from what little I've done it seems to work well.
Love the built in map functionality. Lots of different visualizations to choose from and suggestions of what works for the dimensions/measures you're working with.
Without having Tableau Server, you can still share dashboards via the Tableau Reader program, which is provided for free on Tableau's website. I've found this to be a great way to get started with showing the benefits of Tableau with a minimum investment. You can really get started with just one Tableau Desktop license for $1-2K.
Tableau Desktop is appropriate for anyone who understands basic data structures. It would not be appropriate for people who do not understand these structures, as they are likely to create visually appealing, misleading output.