Tableau Desktop is the rapid-fire authoring environment used to create and publish complex visualizations, reports and dashboards in multiple output formats. Using Tableau Desktop, a report author can connect to multiple data sources, explore relationships, create dashboards, modify metadata, and finally publish a completed workbook to Tableau Server if desired. The Desktop product comprises two editions: - Personal Edition: This edition allows work to be saved locally and supports connections to the following databases: CSV/flat files, Excel, and Access. - Professional Edition: This edition supports a wider range of databases including most traditional relational databases, OLAP databases, Hadoop, and also Salesforce and Google Analytics.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/sv/Ao/PCZWTEQ42WEW.PNGTableau: A robust solution for your reporting needs!Tableau is being used by an entire department. It addresses our need for real-time data and conversion tracking. It allows for all members of our team to tailor reports based on their individual needs.,Allowing users to export data and manipulate the data based on their needs. This means that although there are prepopulated reports, they aren't rigid and inflexible and they allow users to see the data in other prisms. We are able to track users at various stages of the product lifecycle, which means we can see drop-offs, conversions, and other critical touch points.,Allowing for lay users to create individual reports. Currently, we need to request a Tableau data person to mold new reports for us. A drag and drop interphase would be amazing for allowing users to mix touch points as they need. The ability to copy and paste data into Excel as opposed to exporting. We don't always need an entire report.,8,Qlik Sense Cloud,8,10,Qlik Sense, Aurea Campaign Manager (formerly Lyris HQ), Vindicia CashBoxwork tool for presentation of data in chart and professional quality table.Tableau is being used by a department of the company, specifically for the coordination of data analysis for decision making. The systematization of the information in a single database was attended; analysis of the information was represented in easy-to-understand tables and graphs. Thus solving the problem of using other programs that do not offer as many professional quality options as a table. In the same way, it was allowed to solve the problem of the existence of several databases.,It has easy-to-use bar-type graph options that allow you to group a lot of content. It offers the possibility of working with a database in order to position your exact location on your territory and display your information on a map. It has options to superimpose information between two related variables. It has the potential to work with ideal trend data for decision making.,Although it allows you to link variables, I consider that the presentation of the information is not ideal. I think the vendor can work on improving that tool. It is difficult to use the tool for georeferencing data, because it asks you to check many options to apply the task. I think the vendor can work on simplifying the process. They should review the process of linking data sheets with the tools from Tableau. On some occasions, I had to do the work again because I did not recognize the database. Work on simplifying the process please.,8,MATLAB,8,8,Skype, Google Analytics, Micro Focus ALMTableau for the win!We heavily use Tableau to analyze student performance, student retention, and to identify students at risk.,Excellent data visualization tool. Easy to learn and great support from the community. Great ecosystem to manage data for organizations of any size.,Expensive for small organization Product support from Tableau is limited Need more easy to use templates for users who are just starting out.,10,,10,10,Yes,Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation,Nothing. Extremely satisfied.,9,Haven't had such a situation yet, but mostly all questions are answered from community members.,Dashboard publishing Data Connectivity Creating extract to work with local data and avoid connecting live production database.,Fixed calculations are difficult to learn. Containers are challenge to format. Predictive analytics aren't are difficult to understand.,9Tableau Desktop - A Great BI ProductIt is used across the organization. All kinds of departments inside our company use Tableau. It solves hundreds of business problems. Tableau users report on the sales, revenue, quotes, product development and lots of other business processes. Data Sources like SAP BW, and Salesforce are slow when it comes to reporting on millions of rows of data. Tableau makes it easier for us to report on all this stuff.,Scalability of Tableau is amazing. We have thousands of users who interact with the Tableau reports on a daily basis without any major issues. It is exactly like the bigger organizations like us need. Ease of use is another thing that is very good about Tableau. With a very less training, a user can start creating basic reports. As there are many Tableau users around the world, we get a lot of materials, videos online very easily. Beautiful visualizations are the best part of Tableau. Once you get the hang of Tableau, you can impress your boss by creating visually appealing dashboards. Many types of charts are available in Tableau, but if not, you will always find a way to create the visualization you need. Tableau never disappoint you.,When creating a data source that needs several tables to be joined together, Tableau does its thing by loading the metadata, executing a query and loading data for preview. It does it after each and every join condition. Basically, every time you add a join condition you wait for a minute to create another one. God bless you if you are joining ten tables. There has to be way to pause this data load or at least some part of it to make this process faster. We had this issue of connection looping with Tableau. Even with a good connection, Tableau ask us to reconnect to the data source. This thing goes in an infinite loop until you hit "No" or "Cancel". And it doesn't exactly show in the log that why is it doing that. Logging needs to be improved. Tableau doesn't like Star or Snowflake schema even with a columnar database. We have these big Star schema (some of them are a little snowflaked) that we tried to load in Tableau. But they were slow. We converted those to the flat tables and Tableau works great with it.,9,Pentaho and Qlik Sense,9,9,PentahoTableau Desktop great for individual usersInternally, Tableau is mainly used by the analytics team, but we have had some cross-department adoption. Externally, our clients use the dashboards our team produces across multiple business functions. It really depends on the client and how much they are dedicated to investing in the platform at an organizational level. It's mixed between companies with only 1 or 2 stakeholders that care about dashboards, to companies that use Tableau across the organization.,Tableau allows me to quickly explore a dataset and find meaningful visualizations and segments in the data. I find that it's the tool I turn to when I have a fresh set of data and need to quickly pick apart what's important to know about that data. A lot of my business stakeholders can't understand data without being able to see a visualization. Tableau enables me to take structured data and build those visualizations much faster than something like Excel. I enjoy the flexibility in being able to create calculated metrics within the tool. This saves several steps in creating those new metrics within the raw data. The calculated metrics are robust, allowing you to write logic to get at the data that you really need.,I spend a lot of time customizing dashboards for clients to match their branding and aesthetic. The one particularly annoying thing is not being able to change the font colors on the y-axis labels. It seems so simple, but there's honestly no way to do it! I work from a laptop that is a few years old. Tableau software is not a light program and I often run into system memory issues when I'm running Tableau Desktop along with other programs. I probably just need a faster computer, but IT has budget constraints and I'm not sure when I'll get a PC upgrade. Sometimes I could spend a lot of time just trying to find a feature in the tool. Like a lot of other Tableau users, I end up googling my question and finding the answer on a community post or YouTube channel. I know it's not just me, as sometimes formatting and customization are not very straightforward.,8,TIBCO Data Virtualization and Microsoft BI,7,5,Adobe Marketing Cloud, Microsoft 365 Business, Adobe Photoshop
Windows, Mac
Tableau Desktop

Tableau Desktop Reviews

Tableau Desktop
TrustRadius Top Rated for 2018
Filter 1270 vetted Tableau Desktop reviews and ratings

Aryeh Brickner profile photo
October 31, 2018

Tableau Desktop Review: "Tableau: A robust solution for your reporting needs!"

• Allowing users to export data and manipulate the data based on their needs. This means that although there are prepopulated reports, they aren't rigid and inflexible and they allow users to see the data in other prisms.
  • We are able to track users at various stages of the product lifecycle, which means we can see drop-offs, conversions, and other critical touch points.
  • Allowing for lay users to create individual reports. Currently, we need to request a Tableau data person to mold new reports for us.
  • A drag and drop interphase would be amazing for allowing users to mix touch points as they need.
  • The ability to copy and paste data into Excel as opposed to exporting. We don't always need an entire report.
Tableau was great for tracking users through the entire user funnel, including connecting it with a Google Pixel. This allowed us to see true conversions based on campaigns, which in turn allowed us to optimize our revenue generating campaigns. One improvement would be the addition of real-time data streams--as it is, they often have a lag of 24 hours.
Read Aryeh Brickner's full review
Andres Meza profile photo
October 19, 2018

Tableau Desktop Review: "work tool for presentation of data in chart and professional quality table."

• It has easy-to-use bar-type graph options that allow you to group a lot of content.
  • It offers the possibility of working with a database in order to position your exact location on your territory and display your information on a map.
  • It has options to superimpose information between two related variables.
  • It has the potential to work with ideal trend data for decision making.
  • Although it allows you to link variables, I consider that the presentation of the information is not ideal. I think the vendor can work on improving that tool.
  • It is difficult to use the tool for georeferencing data, because it asks you to check many options to apply the task. I think the vendor can work on simplifying the process.
  • They should review the process of linking data sheets with the tools from Tableau. On some occasions, I had to do the work again because I did not recognize the database. Work on simplifying the process please.
Tableau is an excellent tool for the presentation of data in decision making, therefore, the tool is ideal to present graphs, maps, or tables of the result product of the application of descriptive and inferential statistics of complex character and hard to understand.

Inappropriate scenario: Using the tool for the design of thematic maps of professional quality and that is adjusted to the international standards of cadastre, geography, and cartography, I consider that it does not have the propitious tools to develop such activities.
Read Andres Meza's full review
Aquinov Mathappan profile photo
October 09, 2018

Tableau Desktop Review: "Tableau for the win!"

• Excellent data visualization tool.
  • Easy to learn and great support from the community.
  • Great ecosystem to manage data for organizations of any size.
  • Expensive for small organization
  • Product support from Tableau is limited
  • Need more easy to use templates for users who are just starting out.
If you have some SQL knowledge, possibilities are endless for a data analyst.
Read Aquinov Mathappan's full review
December 19, 2018

User Review: "Tableau Desktop - A Great BI Product"

• Scalability of Tableau is amazing. We have thousands of users who interact with the Tableau reports on a daily basis without any major issues. It is exactly like the bigger organizations like us need.
  • Ease of use is another thing that is very good about Tableau. With a very less training, a user can start creating basic reports. As there are many Tableau users around the world, we get a lot of materials, videos online very easily.
  • Beautiful visualizations are the best part of Tableau. Once you get the hang of Tableau, you can impress your boss by creating visually appealing dashboards. Many types of charts are available in Tableau, but if not, you will always find a way to create the visualization you need. Tableau never disappoint you.
  • When creating a data source that needs several tables to be joined together, Tableau does its thing by loading the metadata, executing a query and loading data for preview. It does it after each and every join condition. Basically, every time you add a join condition you wait for a minute to create another one. God bless you if you are joining ten tables. There has to be way to pause this data load or at least some part of it to make this process faster.
  • We had this issue of connection looping with Tableau. Even with a good connection, Tableau ask us to reconnect to the data source. This thing goes in an infinite loop until you hit "No" or "Cancel". And it doesn't exactly show in the log that why is it doing that. Logging needs to be improved.
  • Tableau doesn't like Star or Snowflake schema even with a columnar database. We have these big Star schema (some of them are a little snowflaked) that we tried to load in Tableau. But they were slow. We converted those to the flat tables and Tableau works great with it.
Tableau Desktop is just for creating visualizations. You can't expect it to clean your data completely. Don't use it if data cleaning is your objective. It is best to give it a cleaned data. You can try Tableau's data prep tool. Use Tableau if you are not a pro SQL coder and you want beautiful visualizations.
December 22, 2018

Review: "Tableau Desktop great for individual users"

• Tableau allows me to quickly explore a dataset and find meaningful visualizations and segments in the data. I find that it's the tool I turn to when I have a fresh set of data and need to quickly pick apart what's important to know about that data.
  • A lot of my business stakeholders can't understand data without being able to see a visualization. Tableau enables me to take structured data and build those visualizations much faster than something like Excel.
  • I enjoy the flexibility in being able to create calculated metrics within the tool. This saves several steps in creating those new metrics within the raw data. The calculated metrics are robust, allowing you to write logic to get at the data that you really need.
  • I spend a lot of time customizing dashboards for clients to match their branding and aesthetic. The one particularly annoying thing is not being able to change the font colors on the y-axis labels. It seems so simple, but there's honestly no way to do it!
  • I work from a laptop that is a few years old. Tableau software is not a light program and I often run into system memory issues when I'm running Tableau Desktop along with other programs. I probably just need a faster computer, but IT has budget constraints and I'm not sure when I'll get a PC upgrade.
  • Sometimes I could spend a lot of time just trying to find a feature in the tool. Like a lot of other Tableau users, I end up googling my question and finding the answer on a community post or YouTube channel. I know it's not just me, as sometimes formatting and customization are not very straightforward.
Tableau Desktop is great for building dashboards that you use yourself. It gets a little harder to use when you want to share dashboards with others. The data that you use in Tableau should already be clean and structured, so if you don't have that or don't have support to get that, you'll need more than just Tableau to be able to use it. There is a bit of a learning curve if you're new to BI or data visualization, but with practice and training, it becomes a very valuable asset for analysis.
Yusmelys Lopez profile photo
June 27, 2018

Review: "With Tableau Desktop I quickly analyze my data giving efficiency and speed to my work"

In my organization Tableau is used and it has been very useful, collecting data and information, we take it to graphs for its better analysis, helping to make decisions and better efficiency in real way of the situation that we want to show. We make the compilation of different data in relation to different tasks and different areas of the Organization that is carried in turn to graphics which shows us how the different daily tasks are evolving. Tableau is compatible with different systems such as Excel, MS Access, Teredata, Google Analytics, among others and it facilitates the creation of Dashboards by means of data extraction, modifications and quick updates.
  • With Tableau you do not need to have technical knowledge to do the data integration and you get a quick response of what you are looking for, being your visualization of high quality.
  • We can say that it is free software and it is not a limited version
  • Improvements in the fast analysis data engine were designed to make queries much faster
  • We can take more advantage of the capabilities of the source databases to run more queries at the same time; this being a new feature of parallel queries improving the performance of dashboards in Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server.
We use Tableau when we want to obtain a fast and efficient result, since this option allows to work with data in real time or in memory, being able to extract massive data for a limited exploration quickly, using technology of database and computational graphics to analyze enormous sets of data and which is used in the different areas of the organization when we want to have quick results and easy to analyze according to the graphics presented.
Read Yusmelys Lopez's full review
Maria Gabriela Hernandez profile photo
May 18, 2018

"Tableau Desktop Review"

Tableau allows you to work with multiple data sources at high speed, also offering an easy and intuitive designer of dashboards. In addition, it allows to analyze and connect to the data in real time or store them to access. It is a tool that allows you to analyze information easily, interact, filter and deepen the data used, it is an ideal solution for companies and organizations since the tool is designed with tables or graphs and easily published to the different responsible parties, facilitating access to the information they need at the right time
  • With Tableau, you can easily analyze information, interact, filter, drill down and graph data
  • Tableau allows you to work with multiple data sources, allowing you to convert them into visualized information in easy-to-analyze graphs
  • You can use unlimited amounts of data
  • It facilitates access to the information you need at the right time.
  • The information emptied by the users are not totally private
  • Improve the modality of granting permissions to access files
  • The files used for graphics must be updated constantly, it is suggested that this act be automatic
With Tableau, you can create an infinite number of tables, of greater or lesser complexity, and be able to discover and analyze information with very visual graphics. You can use unlimited amounts of data, it is an ideal solution for companies and organizations. The additional information for the users is not totally private, it can be viewed by other users, although there is the modality of granting a permission to access. The files used for graphics must always be updated and must have access to the Internet to access the tool
Read Maria Gabriela Hernandez's full review
Fran Maita profile photo
July 12, 2018

Review: "Our organization has benefited with Tableau Desktop. Excellent tool"

In our organization, we use Tableau Desktop to analyze strategic data and tables to better organize the way in which resources are assigned to other organizations. It is ideal for our workers who strive every day to learn new avant-garde technological tools. Each agency uses this tool to improve the performance in the weekly and monthly management.
  • You can upload files from the PC.
  • Work is an Internet connection.
  • Statistical report of project loads.
  • Daily summary of work volume.
  • Report to the day of project siatuacion.
Tableau Desktop is characterized by improving the performance of the information that we previously made with other technological tools. Through it, we can ignore the format to obtain statistical squares and maps of works, where before we did not. We continue to bet on this useful tool for our organization and it deserves to update supplements that help us to better perform our work.
Read Fran Maita's full review
Chandra Bhanu Pratap Singh profile photo
February 25, 2018

Tableau Desktop Review: "Tableau- The Data Visualizer"

We are using Tableau Desktop for creating dashboards for MIS reporting. These dashboards are being used by stakeholders and managers for their decisions process. They can see the changes over time and graphs, top performing agents and several similar details which are shown geographically or by state. We usually get requirements to update the dashboards as per their need so that it is easily understandable and conveys more information.
  • Graphs and charts are built very easily.
  • Tableau is very good at showing data visually
  • Easily help make a decision by looking at the pattern
  • The ETL part is missing in Tableau.
  • For huge and ambiguous data-sets, Tableau Desktop is not good.
  • Before analysis data preparation is mandatory.
Tableau is well suited for scenarios where we need to show data visually instead of tabular data. Because Tableau Desktop helps in summarizing the data, and summary data can be well presented in visual form only. If we have tabular data we need to first perform a few calculations and based on that we can create fields which will be used for creating graphs and charts.
Read Chandra Bhanu Pratap Singh's full review
Jennifer Lamas profile photo
June 01, 2018

Review: "Tableau Desktop: the best to present information"

We are using it basically to analyze the data of the projects that the company has in different states of the country. It can be connected to any database of Facebook, Twitter and Google Spreadsheets and many more, which allows us to have the information in a In a fast and safe way, while managing to connect to any mobile device or distance. We can visualize the information through maps, charts, calendars, bar charts, among others, when presenting an information we can show it in a summary through a board, which is very visual and user-friendly. At the moment it is used in a single department of the company, but it is intended to be extended to all departments.
  • Unions between databases: combines data from different sources, such as Excel and Oracle, and creates a data source integrated in Tableau. You can also create a Tableau extraction from this data source and publish it.
  • Tableau Mobile for Android, came to Android phones.
  • Share dashboards on any type of screen, with Tableau you can design, customize and publish a single dashboard with views optimized for tablets and phones, managing to see the information wherever you are.
  • The company can consult data sources and with a single glance, it supervises the statistics of use of the data sources and it is labeled as the favorites that are used the most.
  • Excellent experience to analyze databases that help simplify and summarize jobs in the office.
  • Allows you to create enriched visualizations and control tables using an intuitive drag-and-drop interface that allows you to see each change as you make it
  • When the changes are made, in many cases the error that can be made.
  • The data and visualizations of the users are not completely private.
  • Without internet you can not perform any type of update.
It is appropriate for the office when you can make the heads, summary presentation and you have a very broad database, with Tableau you can make a summary immediately, what is not that you can connect to the Internet can not perform any update.
Read Jennifer Lamas's full review
August 03, 2018

Tableau Desktop Review: "One of the best data visualization tools for established companies."

We use Tableau as an all-in-one dashboard for our business analytics. Everything from our website metrics, to our sales funnel conversions, to email data, etc. We use Tableau to put that data into reports and charts that give us real insights. These insights help us understand how we're doing as a business.
  • Pulling data from multiple sources
  • Create beautiful charts and graphs
  • Saves time by creating reports we would normally have to do in Excel manually
  • It lacks support for certain data hierarchies
  • Too expensive for startups and SMBs
  • The constant updates are a bit annoying
Tableau Desktop is great if you work for a large company with a large analytics budget. In fact most large companies need software like this, it's necessary to visualize your data, and large companies have a lot of it.

But if you're a startup or SMB, you probably don't need all of those functions. If price is an issue, then there are some other solutions that you can make use of until you have more of an analytics budget.
July 16, 2018

Tableau Desktop Review: "Tableau-the best"

Tableau Desktop is used for a team of 10 people for a project in the IT department. It is used to learn how to create dashboards for clients.
  • Data visualization
  • Quickly create interactive visualizations
  • Tableau can handle large amounts of data
  • Can use of other scripting language in Tableau
  • No Custom Visual Imports
  • Static and single value parameters
  • Screen Resolution on Tableau Dashboards
  • Custom formatting in Tableau
Histogram plot helps a lot with visualization.
May 01, 2018

Tableau Desktop Review: "Graphics Graphics Graphics!"

In my previous company we managed to streamline a number of financial tasks for our team. It was only used by a few employees but I expect it to be rolled out soon for the entire company. It just makes tracking product sales so much smoother!
  • Allows you to perform queries without the need to write any code.
  • Very useful for weather tracking data.
  • Allows you to utilize maps & data at the same time - very effective graphics.
  • Easy to share data with others both within and beyond your company limits.
  • Slightly better training facilities would help.
It is well suited for anyone who is looking to get vast amounts of data down into a presentation format.
Arlex Guzman profile photo
February 22, 2018

User Review: "Tableau Desktop a tool for BD and BI"

In my work we use Tableau Desktop to do graphical analysis of data associated with the operations of the services we offer, the unit that is responsible for using it is the statistics management, our business is air transport, in specific air traffic services which are required by airlines and airports, the studied data is processed with Tableau Desktop to make graphics that allow us to identify patterns and facilitate content for presentations, reports and operational reports. Tableau Desktop is a fabulous tool for the diversity of types and graphic formats, for the versatility to establish relationships with data from different databases, the interface is intuitive, queries are very easy to do, regardless of the origin of the data, has tools to do data mining and consequently business intelligence, in our case it is very useful to relate things such as the volume of route operations depending on the cost of fuel, or determine the profitability of a route or create different scenarios and study the sensitivity of the operation in its different dimensions.
  • the quality of its graphic tools.
  • the intuitive and easy in the elaboration of database queries.
  • I think Tableau should improve interoperability with document editors such as ms word.
  • Support in multiple languages is necessary.
Tableau Desktop is a graphical analysis tool for Big data and business intelligence, these are areas where you can take advantage of a sognificativa, however I think there are others where it would not be so, for example it would be an opportunity for its developers to get into the field of technical analysis of financial markets, that is, developing tools that allow Tableau Desktop to be used for such applications.
Read Arlex Guzman's full review
Anuj Yadav profile photo
October 10, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "Tableau for Self-Service"

We just started exploring the power of self-service Business Intelligence. As part of that Procurement department, being the pioneer has started using Tableau.
  • Ad-hoc visualization and aggregation
  • Adding Map servers
  • Interactive dashboards using Activities and parameters
It is most suitable for exploratory analysis and data discovery. Also, for presentations.
Read Anuj Yadav's full review
Ryan Olsen 📱 profile photo
September 08, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "So much data coming in at the same time"

It is used as a dashboard for one of our vendors. It allows advanced visualization of performance
  • Pivoting information
  • Displaying different information
  • User interface
  • More design options
You can use it for combining data sources but it is not so good for raw information feeds
Read Ryan Olsen 📱's full review
November 14, 2017

Tableau Desktop: "Tableau Review"

I use Tableau to better help me merchandise our website. I can see which products are selling the best from each category and it helps me make decisions on what product to feature at the top of each category page. I also like having the option to see which SKUs (color or design) are selling better than others and I'm able to use this knowledge when deciding which option I show
as the main focus on the product page.
  • Filter by category & refinement to see which items are the best sellers in the particular field.
  • Able to break down each item number by SKU and see which one is performing better than others.
  • Able to see excess inventory and conversions.
  • There is no search option, if you are trying to find a certain item you will have to use the filters to find it.
  • Some of the category refinements do not match our website. For example, there's a "solutions hardline" category filter and we do not have this on our actual website.
  • You cannot check previous weeks/months of data. This would be helpful to have when comparing product performance.
I use this platform whenever I'm choosing items to feature in our visual navigation. The visual navigation appears in each of our major categories, and we choose 1 item to represent the subcategories inside. Tableau helps me pick these items because I can see which item is the best seller for each subcategory and also which SKU is performing the best.
October 24, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "Tableau - Only BI Tool that you need"

Tableau is used for all reporting purpose and tracking important business metrics across a few departments within the company. A few teams use, it some don't. Tableau does a great job of data visualization. Now all reports are easily shared using tableau server across teams and to executives, and they get automatically refreshed using live data connections and admins can restrict certain dashboards to be viewed by certain people. Building Tableau reports is fast and easy to learn. With just drag-drop feature even non-technical people can now build awesome dashboards.
  • Live data connections and making data blending is just a few clicks
  • Intuitive and fresh design compared to other BI tools
  • Filtering, aggregating data is very dynamic and fast
  • Maps for visualizing data by geographically
  • Number of data source options
  • Drag and drop functionality
  • Still lacks in statistical analysis features
If you are considering BI tool for data visualization then Tableau is software you should buy. You can even do forecasting using tableau. It's a great tool for building organizational level dashboards in any industry provided you have clean and well-designed data. Creating summary report any dimension or by multiple dimensions like region, product line, store, gender etc is very easy with Tableau.
January 12, 2018

User Review: "Tableau Desktop"

Tableau is being implemented in several departments along with other Data Analysis and Visualization Tools.
  • Interactive Reporting
  • Easily prepare and present information in both table and graphical formats
  • Easily modify report and graph parameters
  • Limit table details to those related to specific chart/graph/table points/views
  • Better printing capabilities and more printable formats
  • More control for super users
Well suited for presentations of graphics/charts/etc. Less suitable for 'burst' email charts, printable charts/tables
Ben Lowe profile photo
August 09, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "Not bad"

We use Tableau as a way to visualize data, as well as, just display the raw tables. We have it connected to various data sources like Oracle, HANA, Kyvos, MemSQL. The tool is used across our department and used at many places across the organization. It is a great way to visualize the data on the desktop and with the recent upgrade to 10.3 on our server environment, we have hopes of using the mobile application.
  • Tableau is a good at visualization of data.
  • Fairly straight forward to use.
  • Good at pulling data from a single location.
  • Could be better at handling multiple data sets.
  • Launching Tableau on desktop can take a long time especially if the report has many filters.
  • It should strengthen its data discovery capabilities.
Tableau is good when the data comes from a single source like Teradata or from a single data warehouse. For visualizing data in a semi-static form it is very good for general reporting. Where I find other tools have an edge is in the data discovery area, where Tableau is weaker. The interface is simple enough for a business user to use and with programming it can be adapted for many other graphics and dashboarding.
Read Ben Lowe's full review
Wallace Hu profile photo
August 09, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "What a Tool"

Tableau is used across all departments within the organization. It addresses the daily reporting needs, and the management dashboard for the performance monitoring. Tableau gives more visualized data for the end users to consume information directly and easily. It also enables the trend analysis, and helps the business to do the forecasting.
  • Dashboarding.
  • Visualization of data.
  • Trend analysis.
  • Rich graphic presentation.
  • Should easily include D3.
  • Server performance needs to be enhanced to handle a large volume of data.
  • It's high version needs to be backward compatible.
For a straight forward dashboard, like a comparison of month to month, year over year, with filters are not more than 5; and summarized and aggregated reports, tableau is really standout. There are scenarios where Tableau is less appropriate, such very detailed reports which will load billions of records at a time; or there are more than 10 filters to condition the reports or dashboard.
Read Wallace Hu's full review
Charles Saulnier profile photo
March 20, 2017

User Review: "Warming up to Tableau Desktop"

We currently use Tableau Desktop to provide dashboards to managing departments in an investment company. We use two main types of data sources: an SSAS cube and views on an SQL Server database. Once dashboards are approved, we publish them on Tableau server for the company's internal clients.

At this time, Tableau is mostly used to automate reports analysts and managers used to fill periodically with Excel.
  • Connection to data sources, and variety of connectors available
  • Easy-to-use data blending functionality, once you experiment it a few times
  • Makes visual analysis accessible to a wide variety of users
  • Publication of dashboards on Tableau Server is a breeze
  • Tableau is ill-suited to work with SSAS cubes, at least when you are used to analysis within Microsoft tools
  • Data preparation is not up-to-par with other leading vendor tools (although can be improved through Alteryx if you have access to it)
  • The ease-of-use is true for basic analysis, but rapidly gives way to a steep learning curve with more complex queries or when the business context is more mathematics oriented
With a well curated self-service environment, Talbeau Desktop can empower business users and add value soon after implementation. It is also well suited for intermediate and advanced users when end-users welcome visualization of data over tables. Strangely enough, it is often harder to build tables than visualizations in Tableau.

I currently use version 9.3 of Tableau at work, we will soon migrate to version 10.2, therefore my comments do not reflect the latest version's characteristics.
Read Charles Saulnier's full review
sanjeev pandey profile photo
July 10, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "Best BI tool to do things really quickly and get insights from data very easily."

We have used tableau desktop to find the key reasons for customer churn in one of the largest telecom companies in the word. We have integrated it with R programming to forecast potential customers that can be churned in next few months. This way the client customer support team can focus more on those customers [in order] to retain them.
  • Very easy to come up with the dashboard, you can develop the dashboards in a few minutes.
  • Good support to database connections, the best thing is that it supports R.
  • It's fast when you use one sheet as a filter for other sheets in the dashboard.
  • Median calculation using live data(version 8.0, now it has) - although we found a workaround to get this functionality, it would be good if we had an option to use it directly.
  • Editing font and color of text is really complex. The user needs to do it all manually so there should be an option so that you can apply styles in a complete sheet and dashboard at once.
  • When you try to work quickly and switch from one sheet to other, it crashes.
This is the best tool if you want to get some dashboards really quickly. You will get all dimensions and measures separately along with the hierarchical information like date and time or the product and its subcategories. The visualization provided by it is really great. One area where I want improvement is its support for HTML, CSS and JavaScript so that it has more flexibility towards the other charting styles and client side validation for input parameters.
Read sanjeev pandey's full review
Diana Doan profile photo
July 19, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "Tableau for marketing leadership"

Tableau dashboards are being created to track marketing efforts and high-level summary views of impact for the organization for both senior level leadership discussions and for front line individual contributor to identify specific areas to focus improvement efforts.
  • Flexibility of views
  • Easy to learn - intuitive
  • Variations in visualizations
  • Connection to big data/Hadoop
  • One too many data points between two table joins
Appropriate for visualizations for dashboard summary views but not great for multiple row display. Minimal statistical capabilities compared to [tools] like Domo.
Read Diana Doan's full review
Linda Stacy profile photo
February 27, 2017

Tableau Desktop Review: "Great product"

We use it for complex data interpretation.
  • Multiple data sets configuration and interpretation.
  • Graphing.
  • Ease of use.
  • Beginning learning curve for staff.
  • Can become too complex.
  • None other. It's a good product.
Multiple data sources that need to be combined in a easy to interpret output.
Read Linda Stacy's full review

Pixel Perfect reports (73)
Customizable dashboards (88)
Report Formatting Templates (77)
Drill-down analysis (85)
Formatting capabilities (87)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (60)
Report sharing and collaboration (83)
Publish to Web (75)
Publish to PDF (80)
Report Versioning (50)
Report Delivery Scheduling (58)
Delivery to Remote Servers (13)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (79)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (78)
Predictive Analytics (59)
Multi-User Support (named login) (70)
Role-Based Security Model (54)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (62)
Single Sign-On (SSO) (15)
Responsive Design for Web Access (59)
Dedicated iOS Application (40)
Dedicated Android Application (35)
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (55)
REST API (11)
Javascript API (11)
iFrames (11)
6.7
Java API (8)
Themeable User Interface (UI) (11)
Customizable Platform (Open Source) (8)

About Tableau Desktop

The Desktop product comprises two editions:

• Personal Edition: This edition allows work to be saved locally and supports connections to the following databases: CSV/flat files, Excel, and Access.
  • Professional Edition: This edition supports a wider range of databases including most traditional relational databases, OLAP databases, Hadoop, and also Salesforce and Google Analytics.

Tableau Desktop Competitors

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Personal$999per user
Professional$1,999per user

Free trials are available for both editions.

Tableau Desktop Technical Details