Overall Satisfaction with Untangle NG Firewall
I use Untangle mostly for homes, and schools and enterprises where internet filtering is required. Untangle does a fantastic job of integrating with AD and creating user/group based policies, traffic rate-limiting/squashing; permitting pertinent social media, but blocking things like Facebook games that add no value to a day to day business environment. The newly created integration of SD-WAN functionality makes connecting your remote offices a breeze (which I've done with a company that manages 10 different apartment complexes in 3 states).
- Web Filtering is strong, and can also do application fingerprinting to allow Facebook, but not Facebook games. Secondly, a separate partition called a "rack" can be set up to give one subnet or group of users different web filtering policies than another. For example, teachers would get more freedom to browse the web than students at a school.
- Built-in SD-WAN connectivity as part of your license. IPSEC tunnel creation is also amazingly easy.
- Will install on any x86 hardware created in the last 5-10 years. Ram and processor requirements per user are very low.
- Reporting is phenomenal, however you can get death by details very easily.
- The UI could be a little flashier.
- Getting your license file moved from one firewall to another can be tough at times... but support is great if you need it.
- Ability to upload reports to a portal versus getting them emailed would be best (some reports can get 100+ Mb depending on all the bells and whistles).
- Easy setup and implementation made ROI easy to achieve. An Untangle HA solution is 1/2-1/3 the cost of a comparable Cisco/Checkpoint/Palo Alto solution.
- non-business internet usage has nearly ground to a halt.
- SD-WAN integration made it easy to connect branch offices quickly without complicated IPSEC configuration.