pfSense is an open source firewall.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/6D/LQ/9RZOGMJAK4DF.pngPfSense decent Open Source Firewall to reduce costs!Pfsense is our layer 2 software firewall that allows us a better control over the overrides for the internet navigation; give us an accurate integration with a ton of plugins you can build your on appliance using a decent desktop; to manage with ease two ISPs, make the load balancing, set the VPN for your external users, reduce the downtime's, backup your config, and restore it in matter of seconds. Pfsense work together with the IPS sensor from the basic to the hard case. It's a 10 in our organization.,Open Source (free). Pay only for support. Plugins are the crown of the product. An extensive dashboard gives you all that you need to have on the first look. Traffic graphics are wonderful.,You can't integrate modem functionality into a pFSense box. I don't want to go completely open source if downtime is a risk factor that could lose more income that supported products would cost. Can be an expensive configuration if you choose to build your own pFsense box for several ISP. For non expertise users is a pain in the neck to manage the web GUI.,9,Moving to a FWaaS solution installed on a decent computer the initial investment was moderate to cover 50 to 250 users, but still being cheaper that a Fortinet, Cisco ASA, or a Sophos UTM. Paying only for support can be a double edge knife, cause you need to identify what's the goal of the request, or your drown into a an endless list of requirements. To stay in the top with the half of a regular investment pFSense gives a wide variety of plugins that will give you a deep knowledge of your security flaws and strong points.,Fortinet FortiGate, Sophos UTM and Cisco ASA,AutoCAD, eTakeoff, VMware vCenter Server, WatchGuard NGFW,2iron firewall for your servicesIn my company we also manage a network of large numbers of users who need a stable server on which they can count at the time of sending a request. This software has helped me to have a Network Address Translation with which I get security in my sub network such that at the time of an attack, it can not reach our servers. It also has helped me to be able to place some services on the network through the property of the server DNS. It also offers the VPN connection so that I can connect from anywhere to check how my services are on the network,stable vpn connection through your web application and easy to use load balancer that allows me to distribute the bandwidth to the ip that I need with more power at the request of the user and less power to users who have fewer requirements dns server that allows me to give a domain name to several applications that I have hosted in my network so that it has a connection from the outside and can be seen by the user,they should improve in creating more manuals of procedures or processes that can be done with this systems since the documentation obtained from this system is small, which makes it difficult to use 100 percent of this system,9,Since it is a platform that is created under Linux a free distribution that does not generate licensing costs and is easy to use for its web environment,Smoothwall SWG,Smoothwall SWGRobust, configurable, feature-rich, and RELIABLE network infrastructure at the perfect price.We are a small business, so we use pfSense to manage our office network. I support ~15 network users, which represent something more like 30-40 devices (after notebooks, mobile phones, tablets, etc are accounted for). pfSense is used as the primary router to our internet connection, as well as our VPN connect endpoint, local DNS resolution, and internet connection failover. Having all of these services bundled in one powerful, well supported, and robust software configuration platform saves a ton of time and makes managing our internal office network very easy.,Point and click configuration for nearly any network infrastructure service you could need Centralized configuration, with documentation, of all firewall rules, dhcp lease rules, vlan routes, etc Fast security updates when vulnerabilities (and patches) are found in any of the software that pfSense uses out of the box Super simple to deploy Light-weight, doesn't need a high end system to run,Some services can be clunky to configure if you're not 100% familiar with the technology Service configuration is bound to the pfSense interface, so if the UI doesn't expose configuration for a feature you need (and the service supports it), it's a significant challenge to configure the service outside of the pfSense system. (Note: this has rarely been an issue for us, once or twice in the entire time we've used the software),10,Using pfSense has allowed us to build a professional network in our small office without needing a lot of proprietary hardware, saving thousands of dollars in IT infrastructure investment. The cost for using pfSense is free, so it's a great option for those who don't have a large IT budget pfSense utilizes all of the industry standard services to provide all of it's functionality, so support for service-level issues is readily available Because of how much work has been put into pfSense to make it rock solid and reliable, we're able to support our network with minimal IT staffing, saving us thousands of dollars/year in personnel alone.,PfSense: A powerful tool in your handPfsense is used in our whole organization. Our main firewall has been made by using Pfsense. Recently we've bought two appliances with pfsense preinstalled. Pfsense is crucial for our enviroment because we're a small company so we cannot buy expensive firewall. After some research and local tests, we've decided to use pfsense.,Web User Interface: With new web UI, based on Bootstrap framework, you can control your Pfsense from everywhere. Scalable: It's an all-in-one solution useful for every kind of company. It's also very easy to set up rules and NAT, and it has several modules like transparent proxy, VPN, and traffic shaping. Community: There's a large community behind Pfsense so you can find a lot of documentation, tutorials, and howtos and also support from the official forum.,Virtualization: We use virtualization on our systems based on KVM enviroment so they could improve Virtualization integration. Export/Import: You cannot import/export all of pfsense modules configuration. And also sometimes pfsense export/import creates conflicts with s Mac address.,10,We have a strong know-how, and we've used this solution with our customers so we can be more competitive than hardware solutions. We can sell to our customers not only hardware but different solutions by using only one product.,Opnsense, Ipcop and Smoothwall,Proxmox VE, Digium Asterisk, MikroTik Routers and SwitchespfSense - ReviewI first learned of PFSense when searching for custom routers. Started from DD-WRT among other products such as zeroshell and pfSense. Some requirements were Dual WAN redundancy, failover and load balancing. In my particular experience I have setup/migrated pfSense in a Dual WAN redundant setup. pfSense was perfect as you can scrape up any old computer with 3 NICS (WAN1, OPT1, LAN). The setup is rather easy. If you are familiar with the setup of Linux, it should be a breeze. You setup a bootable USB stick and boot to USB and install pfSense. The initial setup of the NICs is also easy but you do need some networking experience. Once you get the initial setup completed and connected to the Web UI, you can pretty much go through each option and set to your needs. pfSense supports Multiwan, load balancing both at the WAN level and load distributing level, VPN (IPSEC, OPENVPN), among many other features. I have a client who is using pfSense with Multi-Wan, three separate ipsec tunnels (Datacenter to HQ, HQ to Azure, HQ to another cloud provider). We have basic ACLs rules in place and host a number of servers behind the pfSense. We do not use the load balancing as pfSense is used in Headquarters where we do not host many services that require load balancing behind the router. In anycase for an office it works out well as my client has intermittent ISP issues so the mult-wan comes in really handy. We've had hardware failures where I simply setup a new pfSense box and copied the configs over and was up and running in no time. I would highly recommend pfSense for small to medium size businesses, maybe even large but I have yet to test loads at such high scales. I also have not setup pfSense in a production environment with high load so I cannot comment on that part. Overall, I think pfSense is great! I also used pfSense in a VMware environment for test labs and that worked out great fulfilling all my needs as well!,Great Multi-Wan redundancy. Great control of ACLs Perfect for VPN connections,The tools that come with pfsense are great but I've seen better tools from home based routers like the ASUS routers. Wish we had more pretty graphs, traffic use by user or hostname, etc. The UI is good but seems a little outdated. The graphs and reporting looks more like cacti versus the look of something pretty like Kibana.,10,pfSense is free minus the hardware and support if you need it. ROI is pretty much instant.,,Cisco ASA, SonicWall TZ, Barracuda Web Filter
pfSense

pfSense Reviews

pfSense
Filter 20 vetted pfSense reviews and ratings
Victor Arana profile photo
February 07, 2018

Review: "PfSense decent Open Source Firewall to reduce costs!"

• Open Source (free). Pay only for support.
  • Plugins are the crown of the product.
  • An extensive dashboard gives you all that you need to have on the first look.
  • Traffic graphics are wonderful.
  • You can't integrate modem functionality into a pFSense box.
  • I don't want to go completely open source if downtime is a risk factor that could lose more income that supported products would cost.
  • Can be an expensive configuration if you choose to build your own pFsense box for several ISP.
  • For non expertise users is a pain in the neck to manage the web GUI.
Pfsense will perfectly fit in to branch offices, mid size companies and will fulfill all the goals to merge all the ISP and have a less exposed web navigation. For those companies that need load balancing, VPN connections with less effort and reducing the cost of licenses Pfsense lets you control the traffic with accurate insight.
Read Victor Arana's full review
germary zambrano profile photo
February 13, 2018

pfSense Review: "iron firewall for your services"

• stable vpn connection through your web application and easy to use
  • load balancer that allows me to distribute the bandwidth to the ip that I need with more power at the request of the user and less power to users who have fewer requirements
  • dns server that allows me to give a domain name to several applications that I have hosted in my network so that it has a connection from the outside and can be seen by the user
  • they should improve in creating more manuals of procedures or processes that can be done with this systems since the documentation obtained from this system is small, which makes it difficult to use 100 percent of this system
The scenarios where this software can be used are where companies have a large number of users in the network, to create reliable network structures for services. It's also well suited in companies that create applications or systems that have to launch them to the internet and this system can be managed DNS server to be assigned to these applications.
In short, this system is very complete and can be used in large, medium or small companies. It is only necessary to have a vision of what is required and this software will cover your needs.
Read germary zambrano's full review
Jim Rubenstein profile photo
September 12, 2017

pfSense Review: "Robust, configurable, feature-rich, and RELIABLE network infrastructure at the perfect price."

We are a small business, so we use pfSense to manage our office network.

• Point and click configuration for nearly any network infrastructure service you could need
  • Centralized configuration, with documentation, of all firewall rules, dhcp lease rules, vlan routes, etc
  • Fast security updates when vulnerabilities (and patches) are found in any of the software that pfSense uses out of the box
  • Super simple to deploy
  • Light-weight, doesn't need a high end system to run
  • Some services can be clunky to configure if you're not 100% familiar with the technology
  • Service configuration is bound to the pfSense interface, so if the UI doesn't expose configuration for a feature you need (and the service supports it), it's a significant challenge to configure the service outside of the pfSense system. (Note: this has rarely been an issue for us, once or twice in the entire time we've used the software)
pfSense is great for us, in a small business environment. It offers all the features and capabilities that we need, at the right price.

I'm not sure how pfSense would fare in a larger network environment (multiple hundreds - thousands of users) as I've never supported a network with that many users.

For small - medium sized businesses, with a part time network administrator available, pfSense is perfect.
Read Jim Rubenstein's full review
Paolo Daniele profile photo
May 01, 2017

User Review: "PfSense: A powerful tool in your hand"

• Web User Interface: With new web UI, based on Bootstrap framework, you can control your Pfsense from everywhere.
  • Scalable: It's an all-in-one solution useful for every kind of company. It's also very easy to set up rules and NAT, and it has several modules like transparent proxy, VPN, and traffic shaping.
  • Community: There's a large community behind Pfsense so you can find a lot of documentation, tutorials, and howtos and also support from the official forum.
  • Virtualization: We use virtualization on our systems based on KVM enviroment so they could improve Virtualization integration.
  • Export/Import: You cannot import/export all of pfsense modules configuration. And also sometimes pfsense export/import creates conflicts with s Mac address.
Great scenario is to use pfsense as a router to protect your network from unwanted access. It is possible to integrate some modules like pfBlocker to deny/allow inbound from specific country or to prevent some spam from an IP address in public spam list databases.
It's useful in a SOHO infrastructure but for a very large company with a high constant bandwidth traffic, there are more powerful tools.
Read Paolo Daniele's full review
Rikia Kosaka profile photo
July 27, 2016

"pfSense - Review"

• Great Multi-Wan redundancy.
  • Great control of ACLs
  • Perfect for VPN connections
  • The tools that come with pfsense are great but I've seen better tools from home based routers like the ASUS routers. Wish we had more pretty graphs, traffic use by user or hostname, etc.
  • The UI is good but seems a little outdated. The graphs and reporting looks more like cacti versus the look of something pretty like Kibana.
I would totally be fine with putting pfSense in an operations/office space. I would be hesitant to put pfSense in a production environment. Likely reasoning being hardware, however I've seen many new pfSense hardware coming out in the recent days though I have yet to use them.
Read Rikia Kosaka's full review
Richard Kiernan profile photo
May 09, 2016

pfSense Review: "It's free - what's not to like!"

It's a firewall that will compete with any "enterprise" firewall solution and often kicks the paid-for competition into touch. The fact that it is community supported is a big advantage as it is always at the cutting edge of security and support. It's a firewall for technologists first but once installed even the non-technically minded can take advantage of an outstanding network security solution. The latest version of pfSense provides a much improved GUI that will appeal to the less technically minded but it still retains the same level of rich functionality.
  • Easy and quick to change firewall rules - no painful re-loads or reboots (!) like some firewall solutions
  • VPN support is excellent and so fast as hardware acceleration is supported
  • Large set of free add-on tools
  • Multiple hardware platforms supported
  • Quality of service and traffic shaping setup could be better but the answers are usually on the pfSense forums if you look
  • Non-technically minded will lose patience but it's designed to be a fully-fledged firewall so it's not surprising
pfSense may be deemed too risky an investment for larger organisations as their perceptions that they need to purchase an "enterprise appliance" will carry more gravitas with a CTO or IT head but it's important that potential users understand that most firewall solutions are built off the same Unix derived core code and as such you're paying over the odds for the name not better technology.
Read Richard Kiernan's full review
Jim Nitterauer profile photo
July 27, 2016

Review: "pfSense - A Great Choice for Network Security"

pfSense is used as a security appliance for numerous applications and addresses the problems it was designed to address. (Providing specifics relating to the implementation of security in a public forum is a really bad idea. Asking people to disclose details relating to the deployment of security devices on the network is a really bad idea.)
  • It secures things!
  • It blocks bad things.
  • It is easy to configure.
  • Nothing really. The developers fix thing pretty quickly. They might want to run some vulnerability scanners against a device and fix those minor issues.
It's a great feature rich solution for securing networks.
Read Jim Nitterauer's full review

pfSense Scorecard Summary

About pfSense

pfSense is an open source firewall.