Overall Satisfaction with Veeam Backup & Replication
We use Veeam Backup & Replication to back up the Virtual Machines in our environment. We also use it to replicate the servers to our secondary site just in case our primary site goes down. We can also use it to copy our backups to an offsite location to a third site for redundancy.
- Easily integrates with vCenter and vSphere in our environment.
- If a replication job fails, I can just rerun the job after I dig into what caused the issue.
- Able to keep multiple replication points just incase of a virus or ransomware attack.
- It is Windows-based and is vulnerable to ransomware that can find your backups and target them.
- We have been able to recover from instances of updates causing issues on applications in a short time.
- You can use the recovery option to fix only changed blocks. This saves time from having to restore a whole backup when you have application issues.
We have so many locations that we do not use the cloud currently but we have looked into possibly using in the future.
We are able to use Veamm Backup & Replication to copy our backups to an offsite location for DR. We are able to restore servers in a sandbox environment quickly to test and update, then tear down the test servers without pain or issues. We frequently test our backups to make sure they are able to be restored.
I would say that Veeam Backup & Replication can be set up in multiple different environment types. With u=Unitrends, there are specific things you need to do to make it work and it is so complex to get it configured to work properly. Veeam Backup & Replication seems to run backups faster and when a replication job fails you can just rerun the job. With Unitrends if your replication job fails you pretty much have to tear down the replica and start from scratch and some of our replicas take a few days to initially complete, quite a hassle.
We like it in our environment where we have multiple locations and are moving stuff to the cloud. I would say it is best for small and medium-sized companies though I could foresee it getting expensive for larger companies.
Veeam Data Platform Foundation Feature Ratings
Using Veeam Backup & Replication
2 - The users are in the IT department and we maintain the disaster recovery in our organization
2 - No training is needed We have been able to support and lookup an errors on threads to resolve any issues that we have with backups or replications.
- Maintain Backups for all our servers
- Replication of all our servers to our secondary site
- Backup copies to off site location
- Backup copies to offsite location was not expected when we purchased product
- We may look into getting Veeam One to add reporting of our environment
Veeam Backup & Replication is a solid backup solution that will fit most environment sizes. I do not remember the last time I had to contact support for an issue or even the last time i had an issue with backups or replications.
Evaluating Veeam Backup & Replication and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Product Reputation
- Vendor Reputation
Our Vendor showed us the features that it has and advised that it would be great in our environment
I think I would review more solutions but I still think we made the right choice in going with Veeam.
Veeam Backup & Replication Implementation
- Implemented in-house
Change management was minimal - There were no real changes we started up an environment and decided to use Veeam Backup & Replication as our solution.
- There were no issues when implementing Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Backup & Replication Support
I very rarely have to contact support for Veeam Backup and Replication. It is a solid product, but if I do contact them for an issue, it gets resolved quickly.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
No - We do not have any issues really so there is no reason for premium support. Also, they have great support documents on their site.
To be honest, I do not remember the last time I contacted support on an issue with my backups. Most of the time a host just needs a reboot.
Using Veeam Backup & Replication
I use it daily and it is easy to understand if there were any issues and it gives error information for helping troubleshoot if there was an issue.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Easy to use and setup backups.
- Great reports for each job that runs.
- I have not found any difficulty using Veeam backup & Replication.