Likelihood to Recommend
Aras PLM works for our company, yet I don't have experience with any other software system. The system does not refresh and update quickly. Often times users need to force a refresh or logout and logon to verify changes and updates. The Lock and Unlock feature needs getting used to.
I work for a contract manufacture and we use Arena for all changes to BOM. This is helpful for customer owned designs and our in house designs. Any company that needs to keep tight revision control of a product should use Arena. It also gives approved employees access to files and documents important to the product.
- Aras PLM definitely controls documents and provides the approval levels needed to be compliant.
- Aras PLM makes organizing and structuring libraries logical and intuitive.
- The search tools in Aras PLM provides quick and efficient access to documents
- Searching. The advanced search is very flexible yet guided to narrow down a search to a short list when you are trying to find something
- Our migration from Agile and Parts and vendors was complex, but well supported. The transition team met with us weekly and responded quickly to our concerns and issues. Our experience may have been extreme, but Arena stood by us and helped us navigate many tough situations.
- Administering and reconfiguring the database is very straightforward and quick. I love the fact that an Engineer can come to me and say, "I need this new parameter for a capacitor" and I can resolve his request in 2 minutes.
- Aras PLM uses terms and labels that can be confusing like Subsystem / Subsystem Version, Project Record Number (PRN). Companies need to understand these terms and develop business processes to set user standards.
- I personally use Aras PLM to manage information technology project documents. In my opinion, Aras PLM is more geared to product and engineering. I would like to see a general project management Aras PLM version with terms and labels that I am familiar with.
- The description field should be made required. Many of our engineers have created records and left that blank because it was not required. This would help with the context or background of each record.
- BOMs... Too many standard BOMs that don't show you the whole picture. Sourcing, Costing, and Purchasing BOMs should NOT be 3 separate things.
- BOMs... customization to show exactly what you want (or exactly what a particular vendor requires) is simply not possible because the fields allowed for customizing your BOM are woeful
- Costs, especially with new designs, are too confusing for most users. We find it hard to view a rolled-up cost estimate for a new BOM because a sub-assembly somewhere got accidentally set to 'quoted + rolled-up' - which is useless and completely screws up costing.
- Options for exporting data. Assumption seems to be made that you will just set up your supplier with access to your Arena workplace and everything will work well. When you have a multitude of suppliers/vendors across the world speaking many languages and possessing different levels of technology, this is definitely not always easy. Some simple data I have been giving to vendors for 20 years are not easily available from Arena.
Engineer in EngineeringComputer Networking Company, 51-200 employees
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 1 answer
Based on 1 answer
Having worked previously with Windchill, I found Arena to be far more intuitive and easy to use, needing much less customization. Though the use of Windchill was at a much larger company, Arena was clear and flexible and able to meet our needs with only a fraction of the time needed for mere introduction of Windchill to its large user base.
Engineer in EngineeringConsumer Electronics Company, 51-200 employees
Return on Investment
- Aras PLM has kept our company compliant and on the right side of audits with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Aras PLM keeps our project document history readily available and works well without stage gate review and approval processes.
- This form .....Irrespective of Arena, we have not looked at ROI. Also, I believe that the people that first started setting up Arena at Novanta made some very poor choices that are causing us pain points. Again, these choices are not a reflection of Arena as a company or as a PLM system. Unfortunately, the Oracle EBS team was in charge of the Implementations / System Configuration. Even though the Arena SA strongly recommended they NOT do some things, they did them anyway. These configuration choices have caused more work and cycle time rather than less, in many cases.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?—
Additional Pricing Details—
Aras PLM More Information
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?