Based on 280 reviews and ratings
Both products aim to help organizations with project ideation, organization, tracking, and execution. A key difference between these two products is that MindManager offers desktop applications while MindGenius offers both desktop and web-based applications.
Both products offer mind mapping features with embedded project management capabilities. These include various mindmap templates, the ability to export maps into Microsoft Office applications (.e.g Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint), and the ability to view map information in a Gantt chart. Each product also has a user-interface made to mimic the look and feel of Microsoft Word.
Compared to MindManager, MindGenius has a wider range of use-case specific map templates (e.g. employee performance reviews, coursework preparation, dissertation planning, etc.). It also allows users to apply formatting/styling to the full map or all topics on one branch and set a default template type. Users have the option of creating a mindmap, Gantt chart, or Kanban board at the beginning of their workflow creation process.
MindManager offers a wider variety of non-use-case specific map styles than MindGenius. These include ven diagrams, funnels, and onion charts. It also has a set of project planning and management features such as adding resources and priority markers to topics, topics task tags, start & end dates, task duration and effort levels, and the ability to assign tasks to other users.
Compared to MindManager, MindGenius has a few limitations such as it’s web-based application lacking certain capabilities included in the desktop applications. For example, mindmaps created in MindGenius Online cannot be downloaded to PCs or to Microsoft Office applications. Users also can’t create project reports using the online application, though they can by using MindGenius20 desktop applications.
MindManager also has a few limitations when compared to MindGenius. These include the lack of an online application and the real-time collaboration capabilities that web-based applications make possible. For example, users don’t have the freedom of using the program on any PC with an internet connection or do multi-user editing.
Both products provide a free trial, though MindGenius offers a 14-day trial while MindManager offers a 30-day trial. MindGenius offers both subscription and perpetual licensing for its desktop applications, and subscription pricing for its online version. The one-time license fee for the desktop application is $256 and subscription prices start at $16 per month for the web application.
MindManager has a one-time license fee of $349 for Windows and Mac desktop applications. It also has a ‘special licensing program’ for enterprise and government users, though prices for these plans are not disclosed on MindManager’s website.
Provided by the TrustRadius Research Team
Published on July 9, 2020
Likelihood to Recommend
Feature Rating Comparison
Project & financial reporting
- GOAL SETTING: Because of the available templates, it is easy to set goals and then revisit them for revision or follow through. I like to brainstorm while I set goals and then come back and annotate my goals with changes, improvements, or add/substract them as needed.
- STRATEGIC PLANNING: MindGenius is terrific for working through ideas and parameters. I can either use a freelance screen or a template and brainstorm through the goals that I need to meet. Then I can branch out from each objective with the required facets of each one. I am visual so color coding and using shapes to organize the parts of the objective (i.e. the resources needed, people/stakeholders that are involved, missing pieces etc.). When organizing a project or research, I find it invaluable.
- BRAINSTORMING: MindGenius is a wonderful visual to use in a small group or classroom to brainstorm or record ideas. I also adjunct teach and I find MG a wonderful visual for planning a paper or demonstrating how to support ideas in a paper or to verify that research is completed properly. it is a teacher's must-have.
- Workshop capture and management: a fluid data capture tool that is unsurpassed for planning and recording information captured on the fly.
- Content planning and organisation: the ability to develop large and complex output documents by beginning with an unstructured set of ideas that gradually take on shape and structure as you progress because of the ease in which you can reorganise your thoughts and information.
- Ability to generate output in multiple formats: being able to generate output of maps in a range of formats including Word documents, drilldown maps, table-like structures, etc. means that there is always a way of disseminating the content of maps to any audience.
- MindGenius is not as intuitive as I would like it to be. Although there is a quick-key stroke or movement that will replicate a shape or field if I want to make a parent or child block, I never remember what it is. I always use the manual insert by clicking with the mouse and it takes longer. If CONTROL ENTER created a new shape field like "the last one" or the one where the cursor is blinking, that would help considerably.
- Changing the default visuals for a template or making a new template is overly time-consuming. Although I understand these details may only matter to someone as ULTRA-VISUAL a I am, if the font is too small or the shapes need to be visually altered, there is not a way to quickly grab those boxes and change the settings in one fell swoop. Although there is a way they can be changed, I have to navigate inside this and then inside this to get to the screen and then I have to figure out which changes the lines or the inside color of the shape etc. These details are a little overwhelming.
- It would be great if I could make one shape in the font and layout I want and then replicate that pattern to other shapes or apply a different color scheme to it entirely. If these features already exist, i cannot find them and I consider myself to be rather tech savvy.
- I find formatting a challenge. Example, make all the boxes the same format and fonts so when you add a box, it understands the format of the top level box.
- I have played around with some of the templates but find creating my own each time is better route. The project plan template is very good but I find myself deleting boxes and again, takes more time than creating a new map every time.
- I try to get colleagues to use MM but they are intimidated by the UI. I am really comfortable with it but to them it can look more complex than it really is.
Likelihood to Renew
Corel purchase. With the huge advance of sharing via browser HTML even 1
user can affect many. And, actually, using MM kind of forced my rigid
brain to rethink how I categorize and classify information/projects.
idea of paying $69USD for an annual cost is more than fair and a great
model for Corel/Mindjet to keep rolling out improvements!
Reliability and Availability
Return on Investment
- I have not tracked the positive or negative impact of MG on my overall business objectives. I have successfully used it in the aspects of my personal and professional management.
- MG helps me stay on track with my research and personal editing. It keeps me accountable so that I meet my deadlines. Although I have not applied a dollar value to it, it helps me signficantly.
- Productivity - Shortening my thinking time to an outcome - when I have a problem to think through, my first choice is MindManager. It gives me the space to simply get everything down on the page and then sort it all out.
- Quality - The quality of our thinking is improved when we think together using MindManager - we never stop at first answers and MindManager allows us to think deeper and find connections that were not previously considered.
- Control - Often we will use MindManager to maintain a list of client requirements and success factors in a single place. This has helped us out many times from an engagement management and control standpoint.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
MindGenius Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
MindManager Editions & Modules
|Organizations||Contact sales team|
- per perpetual license
- per year