MindManager Reviews

October 21, 2020
Robert Gates | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MindManager to diagram cloud networks for customers. MindManager allows us to provide the customer with a high-level overview of their AWS or Azure systems and drill-down into specific services. We also use MindManager to diagram the security components of the systems. Compliance mandates are identified and outlined at a high-level with drill-down or linking to specific policies.
  • Excellent big picture overview with easy expansion and contraction of map
  • Detailed drill-down capability into separate line-items and notes
  • Publishing capability to share MindManager with other connected or interested parties
  • Convenient and easy to use hyperlink capability that can be launched within MindManager or in a separate window
  • Ability to link to and launch another MindManager from within current one
  • Excellent integration with Outlook
  • Drag and drop within the map sometimes is tricky, making placement, or rearrangement of items frustrating. Maybe a "snap to" type feature could help.
  • Photoshop integration would be great. Specifically, adding a quick insert button to add a Photoshop image and/or a video.
  • Microsoft Project integration would be very helpful.
MindManager is best for an integrated management environment or "IME." I develop code in an IDE, but use MindManager as my single source/pane for project management. My MindManager is architected to provide me with fast, easy access to all my important information. I can also keep track of my Outlook email and calendar and generate reports from my map.
MindManager provides easy-to-understand and use tools that allow me to organize my work in a way that I find beneficial. Starting with a concept, I can brainstorm in various directions by quickly and easily inserting ideas into a map. I can add, move, modify, or delete these ideas until I find the combination that works for me. I can link to outside data sources, launch programs such as Excel or even link to other maps for more information. The ease and convenience of performing these tasks from the map is invaluable.
Fast courteous and meaningful responses to questions I have submitted either via phone or email. The online resources are also very helpful and easily accessible.
MindManager is very intuitive. The user interface is not cluttered and the ribbon icons are easy to understand. Several excellent "how-to" videos are available on the MindManager site as well as on YouTube. MindManager starts quickly and the user interface is very responsive. Launching other programs from MindManager such as Excel is very fast and issue free. The browsing feature is lightning fast. The drag-and-drop capability is also very fast and reliable.
Read Robert Gates's full review
January 05, 2021
Phil Fuster | TrustRadius Reviewer
I utilize MindManager to build templates and tools for my business. Everything from strategic business plans to product/offering roadmaps starts on MindManager. It is an excellent tool for organizing thoughts and building outlines, and then dropping in the content necessary to complete the plan. It is one of the better tools I have come across. I started using MM back in 1998 when I was building the business plan for funding of my internet startup. I raised $8m in funding with the business plan I built. I have used it ever since!
  • Brainstorming: Best tools for organizing ideas.
  • Business Plan/Strategic Plan development: Develop a full document by dropping in content.
  • Meeting Management: Great for capturing thoughts and tasks.
  • Product Development: Tasks, milestones, and ideas all in one map.
  • Could be improved with templates for things like proposals.
  • Direct integration into tasks on Outlook.
Strategic plan development and proposal development. It allows you to visually organize your document and manage the content sent to you but multiple users.
I have benefited throughout the last 22 years from using MindManager in building great business plans for myself or the companies I have worked for. From FedBid to Dell to Rackspace, I have used this tool to improve and refine ideas and business outcomes.
Read Phil Fuster's full review
August 31, 2020
Andrew Pike | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using MindManager for our project teams that work on new business initiatives and development to conceptualize their ideas, present to senior executives, and track project progress.
  • Familiar user interface made with Microsoft style sheets
  • Native support for cloud and local storage options
  • Provides pre-built templates to help users get started
  • Easily accessible help resources
  • No support for team-based project files. Multiple people can only edit simultaneously during pre-scheduled meetings.
  • A project file can be opened by 2 users at the same time, but when they try to save, a conflict is generated and the project file is duplicated with unmergeable changes.
  • Published projects should have some kind of queue on save to ask the owner if they want to also update their changes on the published version.
MindManager is a well developed, excellent tool for individuals that want to visually conceptualize a project, track tasks, and monitor project progress. I have found that MindManager offers more features and more design flexibility than most of the other cloud-based options that I evaluated.

The software is not well suited to environments where there are project teams that work independently and need the ability for multiple people to update the project file. Collaboration on the same file is only possible through a paid add-on feature, and even then these sessions must be scheduled. Team members cannot work at their own pace from 1 central MindManager project file.
MindManager has helped the efficiency of our project teams, highlight workflow/project dependencies, and help us to more accurately predict project timelines. Another great advantage we have found is the ability to clearly communicate to all stakeholders what a project is, and how it is planned. The mind map visual representation is a communication tool uncomparable to any proposal document or slide presentation. Everyone feels they have a better understanding of what is happening now.
Read Andrew Pike's full review
December 02, 2020
Scott E. Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
I personally use MindManager. Visualization is critical to help understand complex systems and issues. MindManager provides an easy to use interface that helps me organize and communicate business processes and systems.
  • Visualization - You must 'see it' to 'understand it'.
  • Organization - the ability to expand and contract tree branches is extremely important. You just want to show only the data that is relevant.
  • Sorting and Filtering - Being able to sort and filter content prevents 'information overload'.
  • Better integration with Microsoft Teams.
  • Having the ability to import your entire 'File Explorer' in Microsoft Windows so you can better visualize and organize your files.
I consider MindManager one of the most important software applications I use. It is extremely helpful to visualize complex systems or problems to ensure better understanding.
Every time I start a new project, I first use MindManager to visualize the current system. Once I document the current system, I have a client meeting and communicate my understanding of their current system with the MindManager Visualization. On most occasions, clients want to know what software I used for the visualization. People love it!
I have called technical support a few times. During the COVID Crisis, I called a few times repeatedly due to a rush request. The technical support guy called me back in minutes. He somehow knew that I had called repeatedly and wanted to make sure my issue was resolved immediately.
Ease of use is one of the best traits of the software. The ability to easily expand and contract trees is awesome.
Read Scott E. Miller's full review
November 18, 2020
Michael Howard | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using MindManager for project management. Its functionality, easily integrating ideation and managing workflow is amazing.
  • Embedded files.
  • Flow chart.
  • Time Lines and Gantt Chart.
  • Process mapping.
  • The many bells and whistles in the note function are not intuitive enough to be used easily.
  • The color choices for concept are not as designer friendly as they could be.
  • Adding images to the background and maneuvering the whole mind map is a bit clunky.
Designing and creating charts to share with others. Sharing functional html versions of the map is really an amazing feature.
I use MindManager for ideation, strategic planning, and project management. Though there are already a number of templates that are easy to use, I often use templates that come in the style of a "canvas," such as Strategyzer's Business Model Generation Canvas, the Value Proposition Canvas, or even a pitch canvas. I paste the canvas in the background and increasing the transparency of it so that it is light enough not to be distracting, I then place a map of the topic and subtopics so that they can collapse. This allows me to seamlessly move from the ideation stage into the project management stage.
I haven't needed to use customer support very much. The one time I ran into problems, I ended up having to uninstall an older version so that the upgrade would work. I did not find the support very helpful at that time. Otherwise, the support has been mostly intuitive—especially with learning new functions within the program.
One of the main challenges I have faced is changing concepts into topics or other elements easily.
Read Michael Howard's full review
Michael Graff | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use MindManager on my team for brainstorming in team meetings, making project plans, timelines and org charts. One of the most intuitive, user-friendly tools I've ever used.
  • MindManager can help you put thought to screen much quicker than you ever thought possible. Others can view these ideas in a way that makes sense to others who aren't in your head.
  • Mind Manager's ability for complex topic mapping (utilizing icons, tags, embedding files) is extremely robust and useful.
  • The program gets out of the way of the having formatting take up precious time in brainstorming and gives you visually aesthetic diagrams that will be the envy of your colleagues.
  • The integration with Outlook could be improved. This is the least intuitive feature in my opinion but the has the most potential.
  • The SharePoint integration is not as clear to utilize as I'd hoped.
Well suited for brainstorming, team meetings, strategic planning.
The dynamic ways of visualizing complex relationships and dependencies are the driving value within Mind Manager.
Read Michael Graff's full review
Robert Klein | TrustRadius Reviewer
All projects are mapped and all meetings are planned and conducted using MindManager to develop the agenda and keep the meetings on track. Tracking assignments and maintaining a record of activities is an essential use of MindManager.
  • Tracks daily task and achievements.
  • I use it for objectives and key results.
  • I use it to prepare myself and others for more productive meetings.
  • I use it for historical records of what occurred in projects and meetings.
  • I used to use a program called MacProject which is no longer supported by Mac. It automatically changed the dates in the progress of project planning when you made adjustments to a scheduled.
MindManager is especially well suited for meeting planning and meeting records. I don't see any scenarios where it is not useful.
Keeping my tasks organized and preventing me from forget key issues makes MindManager indispensable.
Read Robert Klein's full review
September 20, 2020
Martin Steinbereithner | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it for outlining problems; I put all my talk outlines on MindManager. When we brainstorm as a team, I always take notes with it. And for challenging decisions, a mindmap is my go-to tool. Finally, when we come up with a structure of a project, the tree/mindmap is a perfect way to map it.
  • For big projects, making sure we see all the ramifications of the timeline.
  • When we break down a paper/book, this allows us to outline all the chapters and sub-sections.
  • This is a better way to get a talk outline for a 50 min talk onto one page.
  • The integration with Powerpoint is still a bit clunky.
  • The maps work great - the other diagrams I find much less intuitive.
  • A bit more graphic flexibility with maps would be nice
I love the various levels of mindmaps, which allows you to stay general or go very granular. So I outline most complex things on a mindmap. For things that are two-dimensional, such as timelines, I don't find it so useful.
I write book chapters or whole books, and there is no better way than via a Mindmap to visualize the hierarchic nature of ideas in a book (chapter). It also makes it a lot easier to then divide up the work and give each person a chunk and they immediately see how it fits into the overall project.
Read Martin Steinbereithner's full review
September 19, 2020
Veronica Altemus | TrustRadius Reviewer
My organization doesn't use MindManager but I have been actively using it on my projects my entire consulting career, starting with my first consulting job at a different organization. The owner of that firm introduced it to me. I tend to have members of my team use it (if they like it/find it helpful) and my clients are always interested in purchasing copies once they see it in action. I do HR software consulting, and MindManager has always allowed me to outline/sketch/brainstorm processes and solutions. It's more robust than any other tool I've used to capture solution ideas, current state/future state processes, and pain points 'in the moment' of the sessions/meetings.
  • Brainstorming and solutioning (especially "in the moment" during meetings).
  • Capturing processes or workflows, especially with complex relationships.
  • Creating decision trees for key decisions.
  • Capturing configuration/solution decisions.
  • Conversion of process maps to Visio.
  • Ability to allow non-licensed users to contribute to a 'published' map.
  • Ability to set your own shortcuts (my new laptop lacks an "insert" key so I can no longer use that shortcut).
  • Plug-ins for Google Drive/Microsoft Office, etc
Mindmanager is well suited to live/in-meeting brainstorming, capturing processes, outlining actions and/or key decisions, and idea-maps. However, it is limited because you have to have a license to use/participate. So, this makes it hard to use in scenarios where clients need to contribute (as they cannot) without exporting to something like word, etc. It would be great if there were guest "accounts" that you could add to a map to contribute (even if it was limited license/editing capabilities).
I consistently use MindManager to outline current state workflow/process issues and transition to future state workflows/process improvements. I also use it to capture software design decisions, especially in areas that are workflow design-oriented. It's easy to capture actions/to-dos in the moment under a topic and to add more notes/links if needed. My clients definitely respond to this better than attempting to capture these things in Excel or Visio (although I often have to convert these into Microsoft office apps as they are used widely by clients.) The conversion to Word is very helpful in quickly converting the map to a document for team drives/meeting notes, etc.
Read Veronica Altemus's full review
December 27, 2020
Clint Rankin | TrustRadius Reviewer
A couple of our depts use this for tracking progress on various projects.
  • Cost effective
  • Works well
  • Intuitive
  • Cost in some scenarios can add up.
  • Fast support can sometimes be a negative experience.
  • Updates sometimes create new issues.
It's well suited for organizations that want a cloud-based solution. Probably less appropriate for tiny companies that don't have complex processes that they need to track. Perhaps a spreadsheet or another less robust piece of software would be more appropriate
We are generally visual creatures and it's not secret that the majority learn through visual contexts. MindManager helps in this regard since it works almost solely through visual/graphical representation.
Read Clint Rankin's full review
August 24, 2020
Mainly using it to design and validate business and IT processes with the client-base. Additionally, using the MindManager to draft organization charts to be used in presentations with proposed organization realignments, creating new departments as well as consolidating/finding synergies for our clients. To some degree, also using MindManager to create timelines for project and non-project based activities. Starting to look into other functionalities such as Work Sessions and Brainstorming.
  • I like the look and feel of the graphics provided by MindManager, especially compared to Visio.
  • The list of templates provides a very good set of accelerators to get a user started quickly.
  • Easy to use, intuitive user interface, without unnecessary gadgets and frills
  • Integration with MS Office products other than Word would help.
  • Ability to export process flows to Visio format, since many corporations use MS products and I would like to avoid having to recreate process flows.
  • More icons would be also beneficial.
  • An online library where a user can search for images, icons, etc. would also help.
MindManager is suitable in a project-based environment as well as continuous improvement initiatives within large/mid-sized corporations. Additionally, organizations undertaking restructuring efforts can benefit from a tool like MindManager. Lastly, for families with busy schedules and who need additional structure, this toolset can prove a very reliable ally in planning and keeping track of family events, kids' schedules, travel planning, etc.
I used MindManager to create several process flows, workflows, organization charts, and project management charts. I find it best to start with a predefined template that MindManager provides out of the box, and enrich/modify to suit my needs. The tool is easy to use, straight forward UI, and for the most part, it provides what I need to get my job done.
December 13, 2020
I have been using MindManager for over 10 years at various companies. It helps me with the critical analysis of both product management and product marketing. I use it to poll problems and symptoms out of stakeholder groups then structure complicated projects in to actionable phases. I also use it to develop product messaging source documents as well as product roadmaps
  • Structuring problem symptoms into actionable groups
  • Gaining messaging clarity
  • Taking notes on the fly
  • Please turn off the spam asking me to upgrade once a week. This is very irritating and I love this product
Developing product messaging me up’s and product roadmap.
Illicitly and driving org alignment
December 02, 2020
A few individuals in our sales and operations groups use the product. It is being used as a brainstorming tool, and a tool to capture the current state of complex clients. It particularly helpful mapping and communicating a strategy that a team of individuals can easily follow across the many departments that support our largest cleints.
  • SWOT analysis.
  • Gap analysis.
  • Customer retention strategy analysis.
  • Make it easier to cut and paste items from one branch to another.
  • Make it easier to reformat many branches simultaneously.
  • Easier to send out versions that people can with edit or make up.
  • Increase the flexibility of the Org Charts.
It's the best tool for brainstorming and getting all the conditions that make up a current state of a business relationship into a single view. Its difficult to use for Org Charts and when collaborations are necessary and a license is not available for the recipient.
I use MindManager to me visualize a strategy I want to use with a client or present a broad range of facts about a current state to others in order to get them up to speed or solicit their perspective on how to best address a problem.
I have never had to use support.
Overall is very user-friendly and intuitive, especially the latest versions. It needs an easier large area formatting functionality. It would be great if it could integrate with Grammarly.
November 10, 2020
MindManager is helping our reseachers plan and brainstorm on complicated reserach projects. Currently, one department is using the software to help plan multiple projects in energy-efficiency in buildings. We have expanded the use of MindManager and hoping to implement it across other research departments as well.
  • Works great across Windows and Mac OSs.
  • Visually appealing and user friendly.
  • Several great features for project planning and visualizations.
  • While the visuals are engaging, some of the graphics can feel overwhelming. Simplification of project maps would be great.
  • Continue update support on Macs more regularly.
If you need to plan complicated projects that can be daunting at the planning phase, MindManager will make this task quite easy. MindManager has helped us draw the complete picture of some of the most challenging pictures. Once you have a big picture of your project, keeping track of deadlines and deliverables becomes more obtainable. It saves a lot of time on projects, especially those involving cross department collabs.
MindManager was recently used to map and visualize info of energy-efficiency project in commercial buildings. The project relied heavily on key info and many small tasks that would have been challenging without the use of software. Luckily, MindManager helped put all that info together in a visually appealing fashion. It helped visualize key deliverables and project goals, along with key info.
Communicating with MindManager support can be slow at times. However, the software is reliable enough that you won't need to bother with support, except when maybe ordering the software and getting your license info. Other than that, we haven't encountered a technical issue that would require MindManager support.
Quite user friendly.
November 05, 2020
I am really only using MindManager as an organizational tool. I wrote a book using MindManager years ago. But currently using it as a brainstorming tool.
  • As a suppository of ideas
  • Move information from one theme to another very easily
  • Getting organized
  • I liked it when it was more interactive (online). For me, it is difficult to collaborate with others with MindManager (who have never used it before)
As mentioned, good at organizing thoughts, ideas, and concepts. Less helpful when attempting to use it to collaborate with people who haven't used it before.
I am just starting out a coaching service and MindManager has allowed me to plug in ideas of how I can serve coaching clients... and then later organize those ideas (potential services) into categories. Very useful and simple (drag and drop).
I've never used the support, so not sure. I thought the buying process was good and the person on the line was helpful.
Very easy and intuitive. I really use it in it's basic form, however. Don't use the more sophisticated bits.
October 30, 2020
We are currently using MindManager to organize and maintain records on our efforts to select partner organizations. Maps are shared online for team members' use (read-only at this time).

We conduct ongoing search efforts to identify candidate organizations to partner with on our annual blitz builds. We have been operating for over 20 years and have built more than 75 homes in total. As Site Selection Director, I use MindManager to keep track of potential partner organizations and progress through our evaluation and vetting processes. I am able to share the maps with my team, which contain links to files they can update regarding contacts, information gained, and status.
  • Easy to manage and use links to pertinent files (Google Drive worksheets, Gantt Charts, Process & Procedure Documentation, Contact Logs, etc.)
  • Visual clarity of viable candidate status
  • Simple filtering based on a variety of inputs (Team Member, Partner Status, Check List Items completed, etc.)
  • Not experiencing any shortcomings at this time
  • I would like to set up a shortcut to invoke a power filter and/or a macro--not sure how
I find MindManager to be very versatile.
With MindManager, processes have been developed, captured, and documented for future use.
No issues, non-profit support has been good.
I find it fairly intuitive but have used it for a long time.
September 30, 2020
MindManager is used by individuals for planning and organizing information during meetings, in workshops and as standalone organizational assistance.
  • Fast collection of info - allows quick grouping of info without having to scroll.
  • Exports to MS Word - saves huge amounts of time by exporting to document for clean up.
  • Can be shared with non-license holders - allows sharing with all participants without worrying about license issues.
  • Options of map organization - would like to be able to lock in locations of items in the map, i.e. always show this item above that item.
  • Standard formats for certain levels, i.e. make all first-level items of a certain font size.
MindManager is an excellent tool to aid in idea generation and information organization. Spend more time adding value and less time figuring out how or where to write the idea down.
I recently had to generate a proposal for a large document package for a joint client engagement. Each client had their own structure requirements for the package. Mind Manager was able to help me show each of them exactly how the documents mapped into each of their own unique structure requirements.
September 25, 2020
I've used MindManager since 2002 across several different jobs and companies - mainly for organizing thoughts and information about complex subjects. I've known very few people who also use MM as extensively as I do, but I find it indispensable when organizing complex strategies, software feature sets, and business plans.
  • Integration with Office is very strong and growing since 2002.
  • Mobile experience is improving.
  • Cloud Storage options are adequate.
  • Richer mobile experience would be appreciated.
  • Mobile sync capabilities could be better.
It boils down to how people process information. Many people look at my maps and blurt out how complex they look (in a bad way). A few though see the benefit of visual organization of information. I always explain MM is the most advanced mind mapping tool available. So it's not a great fit for everyone (and that's OK).
It fits how my brain works. I discovered this from reading the book, "How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci" - pointing out that some peoples' brains organize data and information better when it is mapped out.
September 25, 2020
I am the sole user of this product but I think it has worked out great and wouldn't mind implementing it in our routine. It works great for brainstorming and planning out the year ahead. As the year progresses, it can get hard to keep track of projects that we have to put on hold but with MindManager, it's easy to keep up and track changes.
  • It makes organizing projects a cinch.
  • It is great at keeping track of who is doing what.
  • It really helps as far as keeping deadlines.
  • It did take some getting used to.
MindManager is a versatile tool that allows project managers to have a simplified view of future plans and deadlines. It helps that you can keep track of who is doing what on the team. I don't see any reason why most companies shouldn't be able to implement MindManager into their repertoire.
I used the program to help process flows and create organizational charts and project management charts. The predefined templates that come with MindManager are suitable to what needs to get done and has saved me time on organizing projects. The tool is fairly easy to use once you get used to it.
September 24, 2020
MindManager was used as part of our Product Management workflow to brainstorm product ideas mainly, but also later to project manage Go To Market launches, where we used the project planning and Gantt chart views extensively. The product was used throughout a team of 10 people, so the collaboration features through Sharepoint were also brought into play for working on documents within the team. With a distributed team across wide timezones, the product worked as an effective "whiteboarding" tool.
  • Allowing free-form creative thinking
  • Not worrying about formatting information as that is taken care of automatically
  • The task and project management aspects
  • Multiple users working on one document collaboratively (like Google Docs)
  • Removing the reliance on Internet Explorer for publishing features
Once you get into the mindset required to use MindManager, it becomes an essential tool. I now use it for just about every situation where I need to deeply think or strategize about something. I'm also aware that although I consider myself somewhat of a power user, there are still areas of the product that I don't use enough. If we need to do more of a "whiteboard with stickies" type of exercise with multiple people, we still need a tool like Miro, so it's less appropriate for simultaneous collaboration.
This is just simply the ability to allow people to throw in ideas without thinking of structure initially. That structure then comes over time as the ideas develop and get grouped, tagged, icons added. It's also been an effective presentation tool to show the thinking behind ideas.
September 16, 2020
We implemented MindManager to help us in mapping the desired path of our incoming leads and the organizational structure.
  • Easy to use/User friendly
  • Aesthetically pleasing layout looks like it was built in this century.
  • Easy to share with colleagues
  • I haven't noticed anything yet.
MindManager is great for when you are having trouble with understanding how different areas of your work, department, or business interconnect. It does require a bit of input from all areas of the business involved, so I would not recommend using MindManager if you will not be able to dedicate a bit of time in company self-discovery prior to creating anything with MindManager.
Prior to having MindManager we didn't have a set path or plan for receiving new leads. Leads were often forgotten or lost in our back-end system, or the reps would be confused about who should handle the lead, meaning that leads could go a day without hearing from a sales rep regarding their inquiry. We simply couldn't afford to keep losing leads. Once we began using MindManager, we were able to clearly map out how leads were meant to travel through the company, detailing how was meant to handle what type of lead and even including the various touchpoints (such as automated emails or calls) a lead would receive within minutes and days of reaching out to our company.
August 13, 2019
John Griffith | TrustRadius Reviewer
MindManager is the go-to application for at the beginning of "everything". Catching ideas, creating and managing ToDo list(s), planning projects, outlining articles, writing projects, and other business and personal activities. In short I "live" on MM.

I integrated my MindManager tasks with Google Calendar, MS One Note, and Excel.
  • I am lazy (and ADD) - I don't like to re-enter tasks, concepts or plans. By using MM I am able to capture my ideas and plans on the fly - and then return at a later date to refine, focus and organize my thoughts into a more coherent logical "item"... all without being forced to retype any of my original thoughts unless I care to.
  • I use the sort and filter features extensively to 1) Set importance (Must do, important to do, should do, etc) and 2) When (Today, soon, this week, this month). I also use the color coding of items to draw my attention. I also set key project names/categories for each item (no more than 7).
  • The sort and filter then let me quickly identify the items that I must focus on "now" - a "shortlist".
  • In my consulting days, and now with the several non-profit boards that I work with, I use a modified "PowerPoint" version of MM to get my ideas across and to "brainstorm" with my audience (action items, strategies, priorities).
  • For my literary non-fiction writing, I use MM to cast "islands" (random brainstorming), and no less than 3 days later to coalesce these "islands" into "continents", and then to drag the continents into the "proper" order. For my freelance newspaper work, the process is similar - but the organization changes to identifying and featuring the lede.
  • My current "ToDo" file is about 3 MB. I would like to be able to trust that when I send a large "chunk" of work to a linked map that I will not lose that link with LOTS of notification. The loss of the link is my problem (constantly moving large blocks) - but for whatever reason, I'm not being warned enough that I am breaking the link and therefore potentially losing the connection of the thoughts.
  • Nested filtering - that is filtering and fine-tuning and already filtered list does not always work for me. Sometimes it filters only the filtered items, other times, it filters and presents the entire list. With the size of my file- this is a bit of a pain.
  • It would be great to be able to "catch" thoughts, issues, to-do's and brainstorms on the fly - e.g. on my smartphone. I have tried a number of the MM smartphone apps to complete disappointment.
  • MM is superb for brainstorming - individually or with a group.
  • MM is superb for quickly focusing a group down the key elements of a discussion, plan or strategy.
  • I have found MM less useful in making Presentation material for said groups.
  • With each new MM version, the features and options get more refined and useful in the above-mentioned areas.

The notification/alarm function was pitiful and more recently has been vastly improved. It is still not "Google Calendar" replacement material, which I would like it to be.
I have used MM extensively for dynamic generation of project plans, strategic plans and all the way down to simple "ToDo" lists - all on the fly.

MM has improved the quality of the end product of these activities - and it has greatly reduced my stress by reliably catching these thoughts and issues and queueing them in a readily accessible location and format. RE: My earlier comment for the need for a well-functioning Android smartphone ap.
Read John Griffith's full review
August 07, 2019
Fred Greco | TrustRadius Reviewer
MindManager is used by me alone in my organization. It solves two important problems: it is the best software I have found that helps with the drafting of sermons. This is because MindManager allows me to get ideas "out" and "on paper" and then to rearrange them in the best and most logical sequence. It is far superior to using a word processor. The second problem that MindManager addresses is "brain storming" in board meetings. I use it to gather ideas from the group and organize them.
  • MindManager allows me to see the big picture while not losing the details.
  • MindManager is a great brain storming tool, allowing participation by a group in strategic planning.
  • MindManager is a great outlining tool, for writing articles and sermons.
  • MindManager could have a more robust and easier to use tablet app
The ideal usage for MindManager is in board and strategic meetings. I do not believe MindManager works as well in the context of administration.
When I am drafting a sermon, I need to have the whole of the sermon in view (big picture). But I must also look at the details. No software helps with this more than MindManager. Its visual interface, for example, allow me to see the balance (or not) in a three-point sermon. I can visually assess whether one portion is out of balance by viewing the whole map.
Read Fred Greco's full review
August 07, 2019
David Lenef | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am the only person in my company using MindManager. I selected it because it was a highly rated mind mapping program that was offered by our official software provider. I have used various mind mapping programs for a long time, including good old pen and paper before the software was even available. (Yes, I'm dating myself!) I find mind mapping tools invaluable for initially organizing subjects or projects. This gives me an initial understanding and sense of scale.
  • Super easy keyboard-only entry and navigation.
  • Rearrange elements in one click with the "Balance Design" function.
  • Export outlines to Word.
  • Save to PDF would be nice.
  • Show theme preview on mouse hover of available themes.
  • Offer a simple UI option for quick 'n dirty brainstorming when all the advanced features are just noise.
MindManager is actually more advanced and complex than I need, but it was the only mind mapping software that my company agreed to pay for. That said, I am completely satisfied with how it supports rapid brainstorming and organizing. For example, when planning a presentation about one of our product lines, I used MindManager to gather our collective knowledge, organize the facts into categories, and use the categories as a framework for the presentation sections.
I have a creative job role with my primary output being sales tools and marketing pieces. I use MindManager every time I am faced with a project that is large and/or not entirely known by me. My deliverables have a variety of formats, including documents, presentations, and videos. Usually, mind mapping is a tool I use for myself, but I have occasionally shared a map with others to collaboratively develop the basis for a new piece of content. I have also used MindManager as a tool to research other tools or services. For example, when we were searching for a file-sharing system to support our sales team, I was able to more quickly wrap my head around this class of SAAS by researching the topic and collecting my thoughts into a mind map.
Read David Lenef's full review
July 24, 2019
Willem Kymmell | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it personally to organize almost everything I plan. Probably the most productive has been the application to the authoring of a textbook on a complex topic - Building Information Modeling. MindManager allowed me to not only organize the structure of the book but also to write the majority of the content in that structure and export it to Word for the final editing. Due to the complexity of the subject, the flexibility of MindManager was crucial in allowing the continual evolution of the final structure of the complex content without losing any of the text that was part of the project at any point in the process. The content could be refined without being concerned about the location in the structure and moved as needed to any other part of the organization of the overall project.
  • The ability to apply it to almost any situation that requires the organization of ideas, concepts and/or facts.
  • The ease with which a map can be changed, almost totally if necessary, without the loss of any content.
  • The ease with which the tool is implemented to its full conceptual power.
  • The ease with which ideas are communicated to others who did not do the map building themselves.
  • The potential for collaborative efforts in developing thoughts, plans, etc.
  • It is still not easy (possible) to really schedule with MindManager and have a task develop in multiple sub-tasks and then bring these separate lines back to a main task downstream (in time).
  • Some of the aesthetic (graphic) improvements to a specific map are sometimes difficult to find and somewhat limited.
  • It would be nice to add graphics in the 'notes' field for a particular entry.
Any situation where ideas or concepts need to be developed, either individually or in a group, is ideally suited to the strengths of MindManager. There is really no problem using it live with a group either, it will help keep the discussion on track and productive. A map can always be refined later when the meeting is over and shared with all participants for review. The 'Notes' are great for keeping what was said about the specific issues that appear on the map. Floating tasks can also be very useful for those items not everyone will agree on putting in a specific place yet.
The visual nature of MindManager makes the complexity of information be able to be understood once it becomes organized in a clear way. The flexibility allows a continual restructuring to ultimately arrive at a simple overall organization if that is possible in the particular set of circumstances. The BIM book was restructured numerous times in relation to the relative location of information in the book and MindManager provided the ability to develop an ultimately simple overall structure that was easy to understand for the readers. A copy of the map was included in the book to give the reader a view of the organization of all the material in the publication.
Read Willem Kymmell's full review

What is MindManager?

MindManager aims to bring clarity and structure to plans, projects, and processes.

With it, the vendor says users can transform scattered ideas and information into dynamic visual mind maps, flowcharts, concept maps, matrices and other diagrams. They state users can also take control of their work, synthesize vast amounts of data, collaborate and communicate more effectively, and boost productivity to gain a competitive edge.

MindManager is presented as a suite of intuitive visualization products that helps individuals and teams think more clearly, make better decisions, and get on the path to personal and organizational success.

MindManager Features