MindManager Reviews

John Griffith | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 13, 2019

MindManager - the center of my digital life

MindManager is the go-to application for at the beginning of "everything". Catching ideas, creating and managing ToDo list(s), planning projects, outlining articles, writing projects, and other business and personal activities. In short I "live" on MM.

I integrated my MindManager tasks with Google Calendar, MS One Note, and Excel.
  • I am lazy (and ADD) - I don't like to re-enter tasks, concepts or plans. By using MM I am able to capture my ideas and plans on the fly - and then return at a later date to refine, focus and organize my thoughts into a more coherent logical "item"... all without being forced to retype any of my original thoughts unless I care to.
  • I use the sort and filter features extensively to 1) Set importance (Must do, important to do, should do, etc) and 2) When (Today, soon, this week, this month). I also use the color coding of items to draw my attention. I also set key project names/categories for each item (no more than 7).
  • The sort and filter then let me quickly identify the items that I must focus on "now" - a "shortlist".
  • In my consulting days, and now with the several non-profit boards that I work with, I use a modified "PowerPoint" version of MM to get my ideas across and to "brainstorm" with my audience (action items, strategies, priorities).
  • For my literary non-fiction writing, I use MM to cast "islands" (random brainstorming), and no less than 3 days later to coalesce these "islands" into "continents", and then to drag the continents into the "proper" order. For my freelance newspaper work, the process is similar - but the organization changes to identifying and featuring the lede.
  • My current "ToDo" file is about 3 MB. I would like to be able to trust that when I send a large "chunk" of work to a linked map that I will not lose that link with LOTS of notification. The loss of the link is my problem (constantly moving large blocks) - but for whatever reason, I'm not being warned enough that I am breaking the link and therefore potentially losing the connection of the thoughts.
  • Nested filtering - that is filtering and fine-tuning and already filtered list does not always work for me. Sometimes it filters only the filtered items, other times, it filters and presents the entire list. With the size of my file- this is a bit of a pain.
  • It would be great to be able to "catch" thoughts, issues, to-do's and brainstorms on the fly - e.g. on my smartphone. I have tried a number of the MM smartphone apps to complete disappointment.
  • MM is superb for brainstorming - individually or with a group.
  • MM is superb for quickly focusing a group down the key elements of a discussion, plan or strategy.
  • I have found MM less useful in making Presentation material for said groups.
  • With each new MM version, the features and options get more refined and useful in the above-mentioned areas.

The notification/alarm function was pitiful and more recently has been vastly improved. It is still not "Google Calendar" replacement material, which I would like it to be.
I have used MM extensively for dynamic generation of project plans, strategic plans and all the way down to simple "ToDo" lists - all on the fly.

MM has improved the quality of the end product of these activities - and it has greatly reduced my stress by reliably catching these thoughts and issues and queueing them in a readily accessible location and format. RE: My earlier comment for the need for a well-functioning Android smartphone ap.
Read John Griffith's full review
August 17, 2019

Excellent and Useful Software

Primary use is for pedagogical purposes in concept mapping. Secondary use is for concept mapping and planning for administrative tasks.
  • Concept mapping for book chapters, lecture outlines, PowerPoint Slides
  • To-Do Lists
  • Modified flow-charting
  • The older versions of MindManager had simpler construction of maps than the current version.
I use MindManager for mapping chapters of books in preparation, for writing lectures, for presenting content in an easily understandable fashion in PowerPoint and other presentation software. The uses to which I put the software work well. I have not used it for any other purposes, so anything less appropriate for its use is unknown to me.
Presenting complex information to colleagues and students is facilitated by MindManager, especially with increased functionality in the ability to add multiple sub-branches and showing relationships between ideas.
August 16, 2019

Start using MindManager, it will make sense of your business

MM Enterprise is the foundation of the whole organization. Tracks complex program progress, HR objectives, and achievements, and acts as a data repository. Allows visual management of the whole enterprise.
  • Enter once, use many: Map roll-up feature gives many options to analyze inputs.
  • Gantt Pro feature gives just the right amount of detail to track progress without having to use the awful MS Project.
  • Ability to format in native maps (blue) and flowcharts (green) has added to the utility greatly. Supporting material can be added or linked easily (though SP environment best to ensure link continuity)
  • It's simple to use: no more difficult than PowerPoint.
  • As maps get big, it gets very slow. Often a result of updating links or feeder maps. Improve processing engine— make it multi-core?
  • Ability to electronically sign and control maps would be good. Passwords ok, need sigs.
  • Multiple screen use has some anomalies like tooltips appearing on the next screen.
  • Flowchart variants (green boxes) need to have version update and revision number capability as base maps (blue) have.
Team sharing of knowledge, program progress or data in general. Visual front end for new arrivals linking everything needed in one place. Remove the need to understand a document directory structure (taxonomy)— the dreaded MS Windows Explorer.
We use a map to share concerns about specific areas of the business. We review as a team. Easy to follow what the issues and potential issues are going to be. Task progress for objectives lets managers track completion. Roll-up of percentage complete gives an overall for both the individual and the team.
August 12, 2019

MindManager is great for using in company workshops for ideating

Used just by me in preparation for workshops where we need to brainstorm and validate a variety of topics.
  • Ease of use on the fly when a group is working live.
  • Nice aesthetics such that maps can be shown in final deliverables.
  • The right amount of functionality.
  • Pop-up tips as you go.
  • Format options that change everything to a pre-defined format.
  • Remove the constant pop-up reminders to upgrade.
MindManager is very well suited for scenarios where you are attempting to organize categorical information, present it to a group, and then subsequently engage in group brainstorming to determine next steps. The response is typically very positive and people want to know what software is being used so they can use as well.
In a recent project, we had to design a digital playbook for a sales force. To do so we wanted to capture a set of key strategic initiatives that buyers care about. In the process of discovery interviews, we began using MindManager to capture hierarchical topics. Then, during a live workshop, we were able to elaborate upon the list and re-organize on the fly.
Fred Greco | TrustRadius Reviewer

Best Mind Mapping software

MindManager is used by me alone in my organization. It solves two important problems: it is the best software I have found that helps with the drafting of sermons. This is because MindManager allows me to get ideas "out" and "on paper" and then to rearrange them in the best and most logical sequence. It is far superior to using a word processor. The second problem that MindManager addresses is "brain storming" in board meetings. I use it to gather ideas from the group and organize them.
  • MindManager allows me to see the big picture while not losing the details.
  • MindManager is a great brain storming tool, allowing participation by a group in strategic planning.
  • MindManager is a great outlining tool, for writing articles and sermons.
  • MindManager could have a more robust and easier to use tablet app
The ideal usage for MindManager is in board and strategic meetings. I do not believe MindManager works as well in the context of administration.
When I am drafting a sermon, I need to have the whole of the sermon in view (big picture). But I must also look at the details. No software helps with this more than MindManager. Its visual interface, for example, allow me to see the balance (or not) in a three-point sermon. I can visually assess whether one portion is out of balance by viewing the whole map.
Read Fred Greco's full review
David Lenef | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 07, 2019

Great tool for quickly organizing complex topics

I am the only person in my company using MindManager. I selected it because it was a highly rated mind mapping program that was offered by our official software provider. I have used various mind mapping programs for a long time, including good old pen and paper before the software was even available. (Yes, I'm dating myself!) I find mind mapping tools invaluable for initially organizing subjects or projects. This gives me an initial understanding and sense of scale.
  • Super easy keyboard-only entry and navigation.
  • Rearrange elements in one click with the "Balance Design" function.
  • Export outlines to Word.
  • Save to PDF would be nice.
  • Show theme preview on mouse hover of available themes.
  • Offer a simple UI option for quick 'n dirty brainstorming when all the advanced features are just noise.
MindManager is actually more advanced and complex than I need, but it was the only mind mapping software that my company agreed to pay for. That said, I am completely satisfied with how it supports rapid brainstorming and organizing. For example, when planning a presentation about one of our product lines, I used MindManager to gather our collective knowledge, organize the facts into categories, and use the categories as a framework for the presentation sections.
I have a creative job role with my primary output being sales tools and marketing pieces. I use MindManager every time I am faced with a project that is large and/or not entirely known by me. My deliverables have a variety of formats, including documents, presentations, and videos. Usually, mind mapping is a tool I use for myself, but I have occasionally shared a map with others to collaboratively develop the basis for a new piece of content. I have also used MindManager as a tool to research other tools or services. For example, when we were searching for a file-sharing system to support our sales team, I was able to more quickly wrap my head around this class of SAAS by researching the topic and collecting my thoughts into a mind map.
Read David Lenef's full review
Willem Kymmell | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 24, 2019

MindManager is great, it lets my mind do the managing without the software getting in the way.

I use it personally to organize almost everything I plan. Probably the most productive has been the application to the authoring of a textbook on a complex topic - Building Information Modeling. MindManager allowed me to not only organize the structure of the book but also to write the majority of the content in that structure and export it to Word for the final editing. Due to the complexity of the subject, the flexibility of MindManager was crucial in allowing the continual evolution of the final structure of the complex content without losing any of the text that was part of the project at any point in the process. The content could be refined without being concerned about the location in the structure and moved as needed to any other part of the organization of the overall project.
  • The ability to apply it to almost any situation that requires the organization of ideas, concepts and/or facts.
  • The ease with which a map can be changed, almost totally if necessary, without the loss of any content.
  • The ease with which the tool is implemented to its full conceptual power.
  • The ease with which ideas are communicated to others who did not do the map building themselves.
  • The potential for collaborative efforts in developing thoughts, plans, etc.
  • It is still not easy (possible) to really schedule with MindManager and have a task develop in multiple sub-tasks and then bring these separate lines back to a main task downstream (in time).
  • Some of the aesthetic (graphic) improvements to a specific map are sometimes difficult to find and somewhat limited.
  • It would be nice to add graphics in the 'notes' field for a particular entry.
Any situation where ideas or concepts need to be developed, either individually or in a group, is ideally suited to the strengths of MindManager. There is really no problem using it live with a group either, it will help keep the discussion on track and productive. A map can always be refined later when the meeting is over and shared with all participants for review. The 'Notes' are great for keeping what was said about the specific issues that appear on the map. Floating tasks can also be very useful for those items not everyone will agree on putting in a specific place yet.
The visual nature of MindManager makes the complexity of information be able to be understood once it becomes organized in a clear way. The flexibility allows a continual restructuring to ultimately arrive at a simple overall organization if that is possible in the particular set of circumstances. The BIM book was restructured numerous times in relation to the relative location of information in the book and MindManager provided the ability to develop an ultimately simple overall structure that was easy to understand for the readers. A copy of the map was included in the book to give the reader a view of the organization of all the material in the publication.
Read Willem Kymmell's full review
Thomas OConnell | TrustRadius Reviewer

MindManager for Managing an Academic Laboratory

I use MindManager in three main ways (1) setup a weekly dashboard for activities and goals (2) organize specific collaborations including, tasks, milestones, etc and (3) to help write papers and grants. For the latter I use MindManager to generate outlines for different sections of grants and papers and fill in details either as topics or associated notes
  • Very easy way to setup a visual "Dashboard" for weekly activities. Much more flexible, interactive and interesting than a simple to-do list
  • Great way to organize collaborations with topics for each project goal and individual tasks.
  • Great way to generate outlines for papers and grants. Each topic can be a specific section and subtopics are piece of information that need to be put there. Then it's easy to rearrange until the structure and flow of the paper is set. From there the actual writing is much easier
  • I would like to be able to readily select groups of topics and apply formatting e.g. circle three topics and have them collectively outlined or colored
  • Would be nice to have a small collection of the icons that I use most frequently in a group on the top bar so I can easily drag and drop
  • Its a bit cumbersome to generate custom formats
  • I've had trouble configuring this latest version to attach emails from Outlook which was a really useful feature for my dashboard
As described earlier - weekly dashboard, managing projects and writing
Its difficult to organize more than a few collaborations with a spreadsheet. My lab has at least a dozen active collaborations at any given time and Mindmanager provides an easy overview of all of my collaborations. This way I can visualize the status of projects e.g. which tasks are underway and which are in the queue. The completion icons and coloring help highlight progress and areas that need attention.
Read Thomas OConnell's full review
John O'Toole (FCIM) | TrustRadius Reviewer

The Power of Team Mindmapping

Every consulting and business project involves a number of mind maps covering all manner of topics but especially good in strategy and digital transformation and large projects. It is the best problem solving, brainstorming tool I have ever found
  • If you have large complex problems or projects where people struggle to see the connectivity between initiatives, the whole picture and where their part fits into it. MindManager can provide a perspective to meet every stakeholder's needs.
  • Good problem solving prevents people/teams from jumping to solutions but rather forces a tight problem definition and a generation of all of the possible solutions to that problem and then an assessment of these potential solutions to arrive at the best one to execute. MindMaps is the best way to do this.
  • In design thinking you need a tool that can help with both the divergent and convergent thinking processing required by the team. MindMaps is the best tool for all the processes in a design thinking project.
  • Any creative problem-solving exercise requires analytical/linear thinking and non-linear thinking - this is where MindMaps excel.
  • Learning/Exploring all of the features in MindManager and the best ways of doing things with it.
  • All of the templates provided/shown are a bit basic and do not demonstrate the power of the tool for that application (relying too much on knowledgeable users).
  • I am actually pretty happy with MindManager that way it is - simple but with endless use case possibilities.
  • Presentation options for when presenting to Corporate clients.
People who see MindManager used well are always interested in it - comes down to those who will pay for a mindmapping program and those who insist on a Free version
We use it for every client engagement and project. Sometimes a Mind Map is the only way to help people see a picture/project fully and all of its inter-dependencies. For creative problem solving and Design Thinking projects Mind Maps are an essential tool because it can do both divergent and convergent thinking processes so well. Most people and teams are good at the convergent, structured, analytical processes but often the real power is in the divergent, non structure more free flowing team processes which can then be rationalised with structured and more analytical processes.
Read John O'Toole (FCIM)'s full review
Koustubh Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 07, 2019

A tool to mirror your mind on the screen! Improves efficiency in planning, implementation and monitoring.

[MindManager is being used for] Planning, management and monitoring of projects, research ideas, manuscripts, developing strategies and describing workflows.
  • Transferring ideas and workflows from mind to a visible form
  • Adding timelines and resource assignment for tasks and projects
  • Converting mindmaps to Gantt charts, Excel sheets, reports etc
  • Develop detailed budgets with sophisticated, smart breakups
  • Better visualization and sharing options for Gantt Charts
  • Better mechanism to populate topics with new Topic Properties (e.g. a new line item that needs to be populated to entire mindmap or entire child chain)
  • More convenient options to move Start-End dates
  • Simpler integration with Google or Outlook Calendar
  • Should have a better presentation mode unlike the one right now that makes it extremely slow and sticky when using big files with photos, videos etc
Very useful tool to develop a new project from the scratch; taking notes during a meeting; plan event management; planning and monitoring etc.
At least in my team, we always conceptualize, brainstorm and discuss project planning, monitoring and budgeting in MindManager. Makes it convenient and easy to visualize. Even when drafting MoUs and joint publications, MindManager allows collaborations during meetings. One missing feature though is that of easy collaboration using cloud computing unless that is a feature which is hidden or out of sight.
Read Koustubh Sharma's full review
Stuart MacBride | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 07, 2019

Analyse your way ahead before instead of after

It is being used by individuals and not for team work assignments. It depends upon the mindset of each individual as to whether the program suits their methods of working i.e. right or left brain dominant. Some staff can only work with lists and not the freeform abilities of MindManager.
  • Allows for "grasshopper" thinking and easy flow thinking capture
  • Planning trips to different parts of the company globally permits adaptation to fit each situation at all stages from planning to visit to reporting.
  • Works as an excellent database in a format that is easier to use and to trigger memory than working with lists.
  • The number of icons and images is well behind the major competitors such as iMindMap and it is falling further and further behind in this area.
  • The layout is not as informal as some of the competitors particularly with the layout and thickness of branches.
  • Printing of large maps can be difficult and an easier way of providing print options would be very welcome.
  • Project planning is considerably simpler when created as a mind map where additional branches and twigs can be added easily.
  • Where a graphic front end is required the other forms of mind mapping are now well ahead of MindManager.
I created a mind map on a brain course just over 33 years ago. The challenge was to make a mind map of the BBC evening news as it was live and to read back the key points to the instructor the next day. After 33 years I can still pull out that mind map and go through everything that was in the news recalling an amazing level of detail.
Read Stuart MacBride's full review
Andrew Egbert | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 02, 2019

MindManager will add +10 to your brainstorming while saving your sanity.

My graduate school team needed a way to brainstorm exercises in our project management classes, and discovered that MindManager was available in the university's online software shop. I used it to flesh out project specifics and then turned those items into waypoints, and eventually the roadmap for the entire effort. Our team typically used the "Right Map" to brainstorm, which was and still is the most useful tool for me personally, although the others are just as functional. We would've used the Gantt Chart features to guide our project, but it seemed to be more of an afterthought, so we ended up falling back on Microsoft Project for those parts. MindManager is one of my most useful and most used software applications, and I'd really love to see MindJet really dedicate some love to the Gantt-charting capabilities with its own New Document section.
  • MindManager is the best, most capable software for brainstorming. It's easy to use, and it always looks fantastic.
  • It'll easily export to Word, Excel, HTML5, image files, and more, saving the user from countless compatibility headaches.
  • MindManager is particularly adept at many tasks associated with project management, flowcharting, timelines, analysis, diagrams, and much more. And it makes all it seem so easy.
  • MindManager could really benefit by improving the Gantt charting functionality. These should be in their own category and usable on their own.
  • I'd love to see MindManager be able to directly export to EPS, SVG, and actually directly to a CorelDRAW (.cdr) file.
  • I'd love to have the ADDIE development framework, as well as other instructional design frameworks, added directly.
I primarily employ MindManager for the brainstorming process, especially for formal research papers. It helps me to keep important ideas from disappearing from the radar, and gives me an easy way to add and categorize new thoughts as they occur to me.
I own the full Corel Technical Suite, CorelCAD, and the CorelDraw Graphics Suite from X4 through X8. One of these days, I'll upgrade to the latest version. I'd love to have the latest edition of CorelCAD, but it's beyond me at the moment as a graduate student. I'd also like to have fully unfettered cross-functionality between CDR and MindManager.
Read Andrew Egbert's full review
Sarah Jones | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 31, 2019

MindManager Review

It is used for all types of business meetings from brainstorming to project management, we use the ACE template following the Continuous improvement Lean methodology along with Prince 2. MindManager is easy and simple to be understood by all teams from the floor up to the board. They allow for all types of learning from the visual to the spreadsheet people, I would not be without MindManager to support my projects.
  • MindManager is great for brainstorming as people can add to other ideas.
  • Great for root cause analysis.
  • Transfer to the excel does not work as well as it could as it has to be manipulated before it can be sent out.
  • MindManager is not good for detailed Sub Process mapping - I use Visio which is not user-friendly but allows me to subprocess maps to the detail required.
Brainstorming with teams at the start of a project to ensure the entire group is engaged. In particular, shy people can be encouraged to say what they want to and so you are more likely to get diverse thoughts and ideas for improvement. Therefore, projects are more likely to be successful when you get the buy-in from the start.
It worked really well when I was in the role of tendering for new business, keeping all the information together and project managing it during the bid and then afterward with implementing the new business. I built up a library for each type of bid and this saved a massive amount of time for subsequent bids.
Read Sarah Jones's full review
Angel Esquivel | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 29, 2019

Manage your Mind as you use MindManager!

Primarily, it was used to create visuals of our organizational structure. I've asked other members of our team to purchase MindManager so we can expand our use of the software for project management and visualization of trends. The more we continue to learn the program's functions, we'll utilize it to help our mission.
  • MindManager can be a dynamic tool to highlight your organizations greatest assets.
  • The visualization of processes, systems, and plans is a powerful influencer that helped team members catch on and understand our intended message and communicated mission.
  • The software is easy to use and very intuitive.
  • I'd like to see a custom option where the chart or form can be created and crafted freely without a prescribed format or template.
  • I believe there is power in transforming the visual representation into a text format and I love the ability to do that in MindManager. But I feel it lacks in organizing the information in the text format.
  • When adding a floating topic, it's glitchy and feels temperamental.
Well suited for mapping out projects and talking points in a presentation, creating structure for the organization, and strategizing for the future. I haven't used it enough to know where it is less appropriate. I work with people a lot, and I feel that relational aspects of an organization may not be appropriate scenarios where we'd utilize the software.
Creating structure in our organization was incredibly important when we first began the task of merging two organizations into one. MindManager helped us process the needed changes we had to make in our structure. The matter was extremely delicate, as it meant that people had to move from their role into another role, and visualizing that change helped people in the transition.
Read Angel Esquivel's full review
Hoy Chow | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 27, 2019

My mind spilled out onto the screen. MIndManager organized the mess.

We use it as a planning tool across our section for managers.

1. Organizational charting: what if and moving positions around.
  2. Workload discussions: we have several offices across Canada so the equitable distribution of workload is needed.
  3. Brainstorming: scoping out projects. It helps to capture what is in scope and what is out of scope. Ensure that all angles are considered.
  • It is easy to shift points/ideas around and to attached somewhere else. Makes organization easy.
  • Functionality is great. You can customize your map to look professional.
  • It is intuitive. Using Mindmanager is quick and easy to start. It also has features that allow you to do fancier things as you become more confident with using MindManager.
  • Every time I ask, "Can it do this?" and after reading some of the help pages, it can be done. There is definitely more power and flexibility under the surface.
  • I can't think of any at this time. There is more functionality I need to explore.
MindManager is well suited for organizing thoughts, people, and processes. It helps with the "what if" scenarios. Even when the process becomes large and unruly, you can collapse arms to see the bigger picture. If it needs to be organized, use Mindmanager.
We recently are going through a re-organization exercise. MindManager helped us to adjust and move positions and responsibilities around easily. A real time saver.
Read Hoy Chow's full review
Sandy Burgamy(Sims), PMP, | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 27, 2019

MindManager for just about everything!

Personally, I use MindManager as a starting point for almost everything that requires documenting a process, brainstorming an idea, as a template for procedures, etc. One of the biggest pluses of the product is when conducting online/WebEx sessions with business groups, it's very quick to map out processes, decision points, etc. instead of using other options that take too much time for formatting. The audience always appreciates the visual walk-through. In the division I'm in, it is used by business analysts to document requirements.
  • Quick, Intuitive tool to get ideas and processes recorded.
  • Flexible and can be used for a variety if needs.
  • The export to other formats capability makes it very easy to start with MindManager and end-up with a formal text-based document in Word if needed.
  • More styles to select from would be nice.
  • Export to PowerPoint and Visio is a little cumbersome.
Great tool for kicking off processes. Especially, if the user has difficulty getting ideas recorded and then developing them out. Great meeting tool to show graphical organization in a short time.
Again, the use of MindManager in almost every business function brings efficiencies, visual representation and helps get past "thought" blockers.
Read Sandy Burgamy(Sims), PMP,'s full review
Wade Walker, CBIP | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 26, 2019

Feedback on Corel's MindManager Mind Mapping tool

We use MindManager in development and alumni engagement for a number of purposes. In my team, I have used it in my facilitated workshops to identify new initiatives and to influence the direction of my strategic roadmap. In addition, I have used it for understanding professional networks.
  • Network management - document personal connections within a group of people
  • Service management - Identification of services offered and their contribution to the whole
  • Service Planning - Document existing services as an analysis tool to identify gaps and potential for new services
  • None I am aware of. It is a fairly simple tool, in an niche.
[Well suited for] analysis of networks (human, technology and otherwise), brainstorming, ideation and identification of new possibilities for services, products, etc.
I have run facilitated sessions with large groups to define new ideas, plan out our strategic and/or technology roadmap, or synthesize survey feedback into a single visualization to help group common ideas
Read Wade Walker, CBIP's full review
Karen Hill | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 24, 2019

Easy to use and corral your thinking!

I use it for strategic planning and assigning work to my staff. It helps to lay out all the factors I need to consider and arrange them in a hierarchy.
  • I love being able to click things open and closed to change my view easily.
  • When I found the feature to assign resources, I used it to assign my staff to particular goals.
  • Printing is very easy.
  • I did want to have a bunch of things coming in from the left to our mission in the center and then things going out from the right and was not able to find a template for this.
I like to use it for brainstorming. It could be done individually or with a group on a large screen. Anything that fits into a bulleted list or hierarchy is easy to manage.
Read Karen Hill's full review
Thomas Kleinschmidt, CIM(R) | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 23, 2019

MindManager Adds GPS to Your Maps

Currently I'm the beta fish for MindManager; beta testing solo for use by our team here, and then fighting for it.

For 30+ years I've been using 'mind mapping' techniques, starting while at UW, then progressing through
various versions of the software. Incredibly happy with what v2018 offers today (have maintenance package for the 2019 upgrade but yet to install). Much an analog man for early brainstorming on sketchbooks or whiteboards, all ends up in the software.

MM allows for simply moving a branch of a map onto its own. As I hold various roles I need to link maps as I get more granular... I find sharing a map a few levels down is simpler for me than fiddling with a large map, but I haven't tried the new HTML exporting, so I could be behind the bus on that.

MM also has an intense, immense and impressive ability for me to CODE AND SORT tasks for whatever I need. Beyond the obvious who/what/when the ability to code and sort tasks by font/color/icons/etc/etc/etc means allows for an
insane amount of control. Implementing dashboards is next, so that specific people look at specific things. GANTT I believe will become my new best friend.

Looking forward to sharing via the html functionality with non-MM users. Brilliant strategy to get power users work out there and give a taste to the uninitiated.

Mindjet partner Olympic Limited sells an add-on that makes the above easier. Kudos to Mindjet for their partners.

Regarding Corel, I'm glad they purchased Mindjet! I fondly recall how 30 years ago utterly intuitive Wordperfect on the NeXT platform was daily, as I struggle with MSO. Good on the folks at Corel to pick up these gems.

TK

• Super easy to use; everyone gets the basics and the power behind mind mapping.
  • Incredible flexibility to grow/expand on ideas and then to link them.
  • Dashboards and Gantt charts are polished.
  • Multi-monitor support...could be my setup here but I struggle with super large maps and I find using a set of linked smaller maps to be less grief than scrolling around a large map but I would highly prefer seeing the bigger picture. That or some hotkeys to improve using a super large map.
Brainstorming or ad-hoc meetings.
Complex projects and tasking.
Want to use more for knowledge base and training.
I'll keep it simple: the ability to easily, intuitively add/move topics and tasks around so fluidly isn't possible in Word or Excel
  • Online training
  • Self-taught
Occasionally I do have a bit of a back and forth via email...WHEREAS a quick POTC (plain old telephone call) would probably be best all concerned.

Perhaps a telephone-based Super premium support service (might be there but I might not know about it).
It takes some time to learn the vast functionality beyond simple maps (eg large, complex maps)
Unlimited...issue I had was nomenclature, but info/project classification/methodology address that.
Yes - Easy breezy.
Read Thomas Kleinschmidt, CIM(R)'s full review
Marcus Machacek | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 11, 2019

MindManager makes me look good!

I am not aware that my organization as a whole is using MindManager. I discovered MindManager a few employers ago and have brought it with me wherever I go for my own project management and organizational needs. I have purchased it for myself if the organization itself won't purchase it for me. That's how important it is to my workflow.
  • I love the ability to filter a map based on various attributes. It makes it much easier to distill or prioritize information especially as the maps get more complex.
  • Being able to turn a map into a Gantt chart and/or an outline depending on the situation and the audience really prevents a lot of unnecessary effort in reformatting all the time you have put into a map.
  • Love the newer ability to share a link to a web browser interactive map with people who do not use MindManager. Makes it much easier to convey the intent you had when creating the map (expand/collapse, etc.) to someone who doesn't have full access to the features of MindManager.
  • Over the 9+ years that I have been using MindManager, the application has added all functionality that I have longed for. My biggest one was having to use Microsoft Visio whenever I needed to create a flowchart. Now flowcharts are included as a map type, so I'm good.
MindManager is perfect for "this is such a large/complex problem/project, where do I even start" kind of situations. I can't even count the number of times I've been asked to tackle a problem or plan out a project that just seemed too overwhelming. Just the act of sitting down in front of the tool and throwing things onto a map (regardless of whether they are currently applicable or right/wrong) starts to give a visual that clarifies things and can be built upon. Not only that, the brainstorm session doesn't have to be thrown away as just your personal way of figuring something out. It can be converted into professional-looking diagrams, charts, outlines that allow you to share your ideas with others. No need to start over and recreate your work in another tool.
I'm not even sure where to start because I have used it for this purpose so many times. I have benefited from it personally by getting clarity in my own head as to what needs to be done and how to break things down into smaller tasks. I have also benefited from it professionally when I have used maps to create process flow charts, or migration tracking documents and showed these documents to managers or leaders. They are always impressed with the quality of the work and how professional yet easy to read/understand the outputs are. In short, showing my MindManager work to others makes me look good.
Read Marcus Machacek's full review
Glen Thomas | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 10, 2019

Mindmanger Review

It is used primarily in the IT organization as a part of the Requirements ingestion and Project ideation.
  • Excellent at helping to brainstorm ideas.
  • Intuitive and simple interface.
  • Excellent tool to help to provide a more concrete representation of abstract ideas.
  • Great integration with MS Office applications.
  • Project management capability was a bit weak.
  • Template and map creation is somewhat difficult.
Mindermanager is an excellent tool for capturing ideas in a brainstorming session. The tight integration with MS Office allows you to easily export to Office applications for use in briefing slides.

However, it does not seem to be extremely effective when using as a PM tool
Great use of contextual information management (tags, group of tags, icons, attachments, links, notes). There is great integration w/ MS Office (Outlook, Excel). Excellent time saver and provide quality visual management capabilities.
Read Glen Thomas's full review
Phetsile Dube | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 29, 2019

Lifesaver

It helps to organize notes from meetings, share information. You can add rectify and advise, create almost everything. It just makes our lives easier. You are able to do tasks with deadlines and all, track it and the other users can feed the information on the system. In meetings we do not take minutes anymore, Mind Manager does that for us and more.
  • Strategic Planning
  • Process Mapping
  • Meeting management
  • Tracking tasks and projects
  • I need to be able to send information to users that don't have it
Management - well suited. Junior staff do not really use it a lot.
When people are given projects they can update on that particular project so that if their supervisor needs to check or to support them they know exactly whats going on
Read Phetsile Dube's full review
Wilson Alvarez | TrustRadius Reviewer

MindManager: Excellence in creating strategies

I am a technology consultant focusing on marketing and digital media in South Florida. I have been using MindManager for 10+ years. The best way that I can describe it is that it helps me defragment my thoughts. Once I have all of my thoughts on MindManager, it is very easy to move and maneuver and strategize the next plan of action. For my clients, I am able to shine by strategizing their thoughts, I defragment their thoughts and sample the right path for their success.
  • Strategizing
  • Process
  • Brainstorm
  • SWOT
  • Online training
  • Support (how can I?)
Best for brainstorming and strategizing.
Benefits are that your client appreciates your knowledge by doing a SWOT and other analysis. You really bring out the information from them with the ease of MindManager.
Read Wilson Alvarez's full review
Robert DuPuy, MBA, PMP, RMP, CSM, CCBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 26, 2019

Convert a book into MindManager

I use mind manager to organize content of reference books and create value charts.
  • Dynamically organize information.
  • Help identify strategy gaps.
  • Maintaining mind maps in the cloud.
  • Improved process mapping.
  • Support for Scrum.
Very well suited for organizing content. I took content of book and dynamically organized chapters by relationships. Still a bit difficult to do process mapping and Scrum.
I took the BABOK guide and completely transferred all the content, text, chapters and illustrations into a mind map. I can see relationships between various chapters much more easily.
I rarely need support, but when I need support, I get quick response
Very useable on Mac version, plays well with Microsoft 365
Read Robert DuPuy, MBA, PMP, RMP, CSM, CCBA's full review
Brad Batten | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 18, 2019

MindManager Review - Great for organizing thoughts and visualizing an argument

We use MindManager to better communicate work flows and processes, document decision-making, and think through a variety of scenarios. We also use it to outline content before creation.
  • Excellent at helping to brainstorm ideas
  • Outlining an argument or research piece before constructing it
  • Makes it easier to weight various scenarios and options in a decision making process
  • Some of the formatting could use improvement
  • Make some of the controls more user-friendly
Well suited for brainstorming, weighing pros and cons, decision making, and process mapping.
Allows you to better visualize an argument as you are constructing it. Helps to visualize a workflow or business process. Also helps to visualize and organize thoughts in a brainstorm session or in the decision making process.
Read Brad Batten's full review

About MindManager

MindManager helps individuals, teams and enterprises do the right work, faster and better, by simplifying the way they capture, process and share information. Transforming unstructured ideas and data into dynamic visual maps, MindManager says it gives people a clearer understanding of and greater control over their time, work and world.

The vendor says that MindManager’s flexible, intuitive design supports freeform thinking, fluid organization and holistic understanding; its cross-platform functionality and third-party integrations enable a more streamlined, seamless work experience. Millions of users across thousands of global organizations brainstorm ideas creatively, plan and execute projects efficiently, communicate knowledge effectively, and drive more positive, profitable business outcomes with MindManager.

Key capabilities and benefits include:

- Creativity & Problem Solving

Has featureInformation Presentation
Has featureKnowledge Management

MindManager Screenshots

MindManager Video

Uncover possibilities, unite teams and unleash productivity with MindManager 2019. Empower yourself or your team with the most robust, customizable visualization software available, FREE for 30 days at www.mindmanager.com/MyFreeTrial

MindManager Downloadables