Dataminr Reviews

December 16, 2019
Billy Hawkins | TrustRadius Reviewer
Dataminr is used by the various editors (digital, news, features) to identify breaking stories and keep up to date with content we should be producing. It is vital to nearly all the news content we produce, which drives a large portion of traffic to talkSPORT.com. It solves the issue of having too many sources to track by placing everything in one very easy to use interface. There is no other piece of software that does this job as well as Dataminr, in my opinion.
  • Collating various sources into one interface makes keeping track of breaking news remarkably easy.
  • The live update feature means updates from breaking stories are fed directly to the consumer. This means users do not have to go out their way to find out every last detail of a story, and can instead use their time writing the story.
  • Setting up Dataminr can be relatively obtuse. Although basic functions are easy to use, the more in-depth aspects require research and training to use correctly.
  • Topics are very broad, which can be a negative at times. It would be useful to have 'football' as a topic rather than 'sport', for instance.
For any news editor, Dataminr is a must. It is the only platform I have used which I would 100 percent recommend to anyone who needs constant access and notification to all that is going on in the world's media.
Various other platforms provide information, but Dataminr collates all these other platforms together into one easy to use interface. It is remarkably quick to check Dataminr after receiving a desktop or email notification and find out what is going on regarding a specific subject. As a news editor, I am required to manage a news team that produces copy for breaking stories, and Dataminr allows me to find news and commission it faster than any other platform I have previously used.
Connection issues/downtime occur but they are rare and generally quickly fixed. There are frequent seminars and tutorials to teach the platform. This is an excellent decision from the company and has made me more willing to learn how to use Dataminr correctly. As a result of this, I use the platform more than I would have if I had been forced to learn everything myself.
Read Billy Hawkins's full review

What is Dataminr?

Dataminr is an social analytics tool that analyzes the public Twitter stream looking for breaking news and emerging trends.