Microsoft Teams Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Karen Zelzer profile photo
We use Microsoft Teams for group discussions and chats between coworkers who are on the other side of the office. We are phasing out our landline phones which we used to use to page someone at their desk. We are now using Microsoft Teams to have conversations and "page" a coworker instead of trying to hunt them down in the office. We are also working on becoming more mobile and allowing more employees the option to work remotely, Microsoft Teams allows us to see who is online and provides an easy way to contact them when they are away from the office.

Right now our Engineering and Administration departments are the main groups using Microsoft Teams, the goal is to have this be used company-wide.
  • Lets employees know who is online and makes it easy to contact them for questions.
  • Able to see if someone is busy and should not be disturbed which helps save time in trying to contact them or hunt them down.
  • Allows specific groups to be created where we can share ideas and brainstorm without having to interrupt other employees in the office.
  • Wish there way a better way to organize who you see on the side bar, right now I only know of chats being organized by Recent or by Contacts.
  • Wish you could zoom out on the calendar, I like seeing multiple weeks and even the whole month so I know when meetings are coming up. Right now you can only view the calendar in Day, Work Week, or Week mode.
Can have group chats on topics that only concern a few employees. We have a Technology group where we add and brainstorm new applications and software that might be appropriate for our company. It's a good way to organize our ideas and thoughts without having to send out mass email chains and we can discuss the ideas at our next meeting.
Microsoft Teams also lets us efficiently communicate with remote workers since email can lag. This allows almost real-time conversations and collaborations for our employees.
Read Karen Zelzer's full review
Justin Pink profile photo
My organization offers Teams to employees via the Enterprise and Office licensing but has yet to fully embrace the software (I assume this is similar across many other organizations). Employees who are using the application are mostly early adopters and those who see the immense value. My team is using MS Teams to have conversations and centralize a lot of tools that are being used into one place, i.e. Dynamics 365, SharePoint, PowerBI, Skype, Meeting Calendar, etc. The more people who use it in an organization, the more value the tool becomes. It addresses a lot of issues, the main one being it centralizes several tools as I mentioned previously. It also supports more collaboration with its easy and centralized Chanel conversations.
  • Combines several tools into one application.
  • The online platform functionality is exactly the same as the downloaded platform.
  • Rolled into Enterprise & Office 365 licensing.
  • Lack of rollout plans from MS that businesses can use to improve user adoption.
  • Slack still has more connectors.
  • Meetings could more intuitive and most of the screen is just pictures of people.
  • The desktop application is very large and absorbs a lot of system resources.
  • Multiple users cannot share screens at once, one at a time only.
  • Can't choose where to put files from conversations, they automatically are put in a Teams SharePoint.
MS Teams is essential for collaborative work. If you work alone, the value of the tools decreases but still helpful for centralizing several tools into one place. If you want to put conversations in one location, Teams is the recommended tool to do so. It's helpful to remove lengthy conversations that are full of back and forth email. It also saves all attachments to one location, so unlike your email, you can see all attachments from the conversation with one click. Documents and document versioning work off of SharePoint so it's easy to use one file in Teams oppose to multiple version being passed through email.

It's a better alternative than Skype for conversations because it saves the conversation forever (even when you close the app) and conversations can continue while you or others are offline too. Teams also have a great phone app to stay connected to the conversation while on the go.
Read Justin Pink's full review
Sierra Schubach profile photo
Microsoft Team is being used across our entire organization. We use it to communicate between different departments and within our own departments. We did not receive any formal training, so we are just now starting to use it for our conference calls and meetings. We use it to share files and calendar integration is very useful for our company.
  • Outlook integration
  • Outlook calendar integration
  • Creating different teams for communication
  • It isn't as intuitive as I would like, I find myself clicking around a lot when I am looking for a certain task
  • Notifications are limited and don't always work
  • Settings are limited
This tech is well suited for communication between coworkers and teams within an organization. The meetings option is awesome and very user-friendly both on desktop and on a mobile device. I personally love dark mode. The teams options is great for sending mass messages and collaborating. Sharing files is easy and making calls is also great within the program.
Read Sierra Schubach's full review
Matthew Smith profile photo
Right now, our company uses Teams for daily operations, meetings, and training. We have several groups set up as different departments, each with their own channels set up as projects. Each channel allows multiple tabs, in which we insert OneNote, Word, Excel, and web links to increase efficiency. The chat and screen share function is utilized daily.
  • A place to collaborate.
  • Native workspace to bring in other MS products, and even other web-based sites, and resources.
  • Increases efficiency between multiple MS products and features.
  • Wish you could share/send a channel between other groups.
  • Would like to see better web support for viewing Excel files, or other websites.
  • Can be a bit time consuming when managing the Wiki data, especially when removing old channels from OneDrive.
In a collaborative setting or one that requires information to be shared across offices and locations, Microsoft Teams is well suited. If you like the SharePoint site ergonomics than no, teams is not SharePoint. It's another way to interact with the same information, though.
Read Matthew Smith's full review
Gary Smolyak profile photo
Microsoft Teams is used as our primary interoffice chat client as well as a method for team communication. For now, it is only being used by the IT department. We have several other chat clients that are leveraged company-wide, including Skype for Business and Slack. Microsoft Teams is solving the business problem of having an effective way to communicate with teams as well as having custom channels where each team can collaborate and talk among themselves without disrupting others with tons of notifications.
  • Teams is particularly good at keeping conversation history in sync across multiple devices. Skype for Business, which is Microsoft's other chat client, is particularly bad when it comes to this aspect.
  • The sidebar of the application window makes it easy to switch between all aspects of the application in one click. Easy switching between chat, notifications, and meetings.
  • Integrated hierarchy chart within each chat window easily allows you to see where an unfamiliar person you may be chatting with sits in terms of management level in the organization.
  • Team's mac desktop client could improve on resource management. Currently, the teams desktop app for Mac is very memory intensive and noticeably decreases battery life.
  • The reply to a specific threat box is often hard to see, I've found myself adding a whole new post instead of replying to an existing thread.
  • File uploader can be glitchy sometimes. Have found myself having to re-upload attachments I'm trying to send to someone.
Microsoft Team is great for Inter-team communication and is well adapted to work like Slack in that there is the ability to create different separate threads where different teams can communicate with each other without having to disrupt others. Teams is not as well suited as a meeting software like Skype for Business is. For example, Teams still does not have the ability to remotely request control of one's screen. This is a feature I have found useful in Skype as a last-ditch method of troubleshooting.
Read Gary Smolyak's full review
Melinda Saternis profile photo
We use Microsoft Teams to communicate throughout the company. It's still being implemented in some sections but is rolling out quickly and able to meet our needs.
  • It's fast with very few issues revolving around connectivity
  • It's significantly updated compared to some other chat programs that we also use.
  • There are more features making it more enjoyable to use.
  • I actually haven't come across any true issues with it yet. It's been able to meet all our needs and then some.
In my line of work sometimes I just have a quick question that doesn't necessarily require an email being sent, this is the perfect way to accomplish my task. I'm able to send off a quick chat directly to the person and hear back instantly. My particular space is very quiet and when I need to ask a coworker next to me a question, this makes it easier.
Read Melinda Saternis's full review
Ho'omana Nathan Horton profile photo
Microsoft Teams allows for collaboration and integrates super nicely with other Microsoft products, especially Office. We use it for collaborating on documents especially, and especially when working on projects with smaller teams. Although Google Drive works well too and we've used it for years, Teams is ultimately better for Microsoft integration.
  • As with all Microsoft products of late, Teams integrates very nicely with other Microsoft products, namely Windows, Active Directory, OneDrive, and Office.
  • Since most of our productivity software is from Microsoft, everything pulls together super easily.
  • Teams also works well (better than Skype for Business in my opinion) for quick IMs to others in the organization.
  • Honestly, the biggest problem I have with Teams (and this isn't their fault), is that we're already invested in lots of other stuff that does all this.
  • It's nice that Teams brings this all together, AND that it's free, but it's a lot to switch over.
Microsoft Teams is great for keeping videoconferencing, IMing, Office collaboration, etc. in one place, all using Microsoft accounts already set up by our organization. We had been using Google Drive\Docs for collaborative file work, Slack for chatting with channels, Zoom for video communication, Outlook for email, etc. Teams can handle almost all of this, and although it's a little tricky to switch over now, this would be super effective and simple long term.
Read Ho'omana Nathan Horton's full review
Sohaib Ahmed Khattak - PCI QIR profile photo
We are using teams for a team of 30-40 people and have found it beneficial as it manages teams very nicely. As we have team sessions as well, we generally are on conference calls. The call quality has been great as compared to Skype for Business (Formerly Lync). I did like the feature of the voice mail being emailed as well and a complete text narration added of the voice message as well. Overall it is a great piece of work.
  • Make Calls and Chats
  • Manage Teams and Discussions
  • Voicemail
  • Status of a user is only refreshed once they are selected
  • When a conference call is joined, the join link opens a browser window even if the desktop app is already installed
  • Login Credentials are not saved
I would recommend the product to any team as it has a lot of features and ease on managing teams plus updating details. The personal chats can be ignored and team chats can be made so all the team is updated with one update and to and fro communication is made limited.
Read Sohaib Ahmed Khattak - PCI QIR's full review
Richard Crane profile photo
Microsoft Teams allows our my company to create virtual groups for collaboration. This is especially helpful for project and interdepartmental work. It also serves as a great chat platform. I can see who's available and chat with them quickly. Very fast and efficient. It even allows collaboration with third-party, outside users to our company. I can add vendors and other stakeholders, such as consultants, to a team for document sharing and other project-oriented work.
  • The chat feature is great. I can see who's available, and if they're busy, I can see when they're free. If they are available, I can chat with them in real-time, no matter where they're located. This is much easier than email, which can get backed up quickly or texting since some team members prefer not to give out their cell number.
  • Documentation sharing and collaboration is really good. I can upload a document and share it with my team. We can review together in real-time, and even make edits to it together. Very easy to use.
  • There's a call feature in Teams as well that is pretty handy. We still use Webex, but if I need I can open a meeting and have a face-to-face virtual call with others in my Team.
  • The third-party apps could be improved. Webex has an app in Teams, but it really doesn't do much of anything exciting. Easier to just use Teams or Webex. I feel like it's trying too hard.
  • People can turn off their availability, or set it to what they want, not necessarily what their calendar dictates. I understand the need for it, but it defeats the chat effectiveness if I don't know if someone's available or not. I prefer everyone to be transparent, but I get it.
Collaboration across locations is a big plus. I work with employees, contractors, vendors, and consultants from across the country. Teams allows me to quickly and efficiently have discussions, plan, share and make decisions without being co-located. Obviously, a face-to-face meeting is preferred (to me at least) in almost every situation, but it's just not practical all the time.
Read Richard Crane's full review
Mary Burke profile photo
September 15, 2019

I'm A Fan!

Microsoft Teams is used across the campus in various ways. It's a great way to collaborate and share work across different groups. I have teams for my individual department, my building, committees I serve on, and, my favorite usage, to control and distribute the work of my student-workers. It allows content to be stored, shared, and edited easily. As one who works with large files, it's so easy to upload content for others to view rather than chasing people down with external drives.
  • Communication - The chat feature allows conversations to be logged about specific projects. These conversations can be referenced easily for clarification.
  • Collaboration - Group work is easy with Teams. Files can be shared and edited across campus without leaving the office.
  • Storage - My computer's hard drive is freed up from files.
  • I haven't experienced an issue yet.
Student-workers help with digitizing and writing the metadata for many of the collections I work with (I work in university archives). Teams allows me to communicate clearly with each student on his/her specific project, and monitor their progress. Each of my student workers has access to their specific project through a folder on our team-site. I am able to track their work, answer specific questions through the chat feature (since we don't always work in the same physical space), and also see what they're seeing. It's a great tool for supervisors. In committee settings, it's a great way to share meeting minutes, ideas, resources, and more, without cluttering up your inbox. I love how organized it all is.
Read Mary Burke's full review
Stephen Wittmaak profile photo
September 15, 2019

Teams works with Teams

As part of our integrated services with Microsoft, it was a cost-effective way to manage projects remotely and between two campuses.
  • Messaging.
  • Organization.
  • Integration.
  • Better notifications setup to avoid missed messages.
  • Make it more robust while separate from the entire suite of MS products
  • More integration with non-MS products.
Team messaging is where, well, Teams excels. You can group your messaging departmentally or individually.
Read Stephen Wittmaak's full review
Nick Tanner profile photo
Microsoft Teams has been a helpful resource to communicate amongst a large group of people and connect with various platforms to share data and project-related information in a single interface. On one particular job team members from project management, field supervision, accounting, spatial coordination can all quickly connect one-on-one or as a group.
  • Individual communication for quick dialogue rather than responding back-and-forth through emails.
  • Connecting to other platforms like Microsoft Planner, Outlook Calendar, and OneDrive makes seamless integration to other applications.
  • Can have multiple teams for different projects all in the same interface.
  • Difficult to find a specific person on a team to send a private message.
  • Can't send an "@everyone" message to alert people (as far as I can find)
  • Difficult to add people outside of your organizational email structure.
I find it fairly helpful but prefer Slack as a primary team communication tool that answers some of the cons previously listed (adding any user, quickly messaging a specific person, alerting the entire team easily).
Read Nick Tanner's full review
Dave Becker profile photo
Teams is used by everyone in our main office, including our call center and support staff. It allows representatives in the call center to share information with one another without interrupting the call they are on. We are also able to share documents and chat in groups, so if several people are working on the same project, they can all contribute even if they are not in the office.
  • The chat platform is great and easy to use. You can attach files directly to the chat and if you'd like to, you can easily go from chat to video call.
  • Teams syncs to your calendar from Outlook, so you don't have to open a second app if you need to check your schedule.
  • Users are able to mention or tag each other in their work, and the mentioned or tagged user gets a notification. It's great to keep people in the loop of what you are working on.
  • Sometimes Teams will suggest contacts from your Outlook inbox for you, but they usually aren't people I need to chat with (i.e. not in my organization).
  • The size of the mobile app is pretty large. As of this review, it's 165.6MB, so it's not easy to convince everyone to install it to their phones.
  • I think the Teams tab should be one of the main options in the sidebar. Instead, you have to click the "see more" button to find it. A lot of the members of my team didn't even know it was there.
If you have a team that needs to share information quickly, Teams is a great option. A lot of our users are on the phone for the majority of their day, so having a webchat is really helpful for them to share information without interrupting their calls. This is also really helpful if you have team members who are not in the office but still need to share information or be kept in the loop. If you are just looking for a chat client so you can occasionally message your co-workers, this might be overkill.
Read Dave Becker's full review
Richard (Ric) Hazel profile photo
We use Microsoft Teams to collaborate, manage files, manage projects, and communicate with each other. We also use it as a method to deliver content to people in the field. Our Podcast and Video team has made extensive use of it as a platform to create channels and series for our podcasts.
  • Organize and transfer files.
  • Manage projects and processes.
  • Collaborate across other teams.
  • More intuitive interface.
I have yet to find a scenario where it is unsuited. So far, the best use we have found for it is to organize all of projects, forms, and processes for a multiple member team. The ease of uploading files that can be viewed, edited, or commented on by the entire team is a huge addition to making us more productive.
Read Richard (Ric) Hazel's full review
Eric Pohlabel profile photo
We are using the application for team meetings across several departments - but are mostly concerned with Salesforce projects and testing. We use it to collaborate on issues and as meeting software for our daily standups. Mostly screen sharing and presentations, not so much for the video.
  • Switching between mobile devices and laptops - I can seamlessly take meetings, chat, etc. wherever I am.
  • I love that I can easily switch to a call/video directly from a chat window.
  • I like being able to add contacts from outside my organization.
  • Call quality isn't great when using computer audio.
  • Sometimes I have to start a call/meeting in order to share a file or my screen - I would rather do that directly from the chat window.
One on one instant messaging to colleagues is huge and an excellent way to communicate. Teams is great because if IM isn't sufficient, I can immediately start a voice or video call, share files or my screen. I also like that I can choose to connect to meetings using computer audio or by calling in.
Read Eric Pohlabel's full review
Heather Robinette, MBA profile photo
Microsoft Teams is our main resource of collaboration, communication, and projects. It is used across the entire organization and it helps cut down on the number of applications we have to use. Everything is slowly being integrated into Teams so it is a one-stop-shop for everything we need. We use it for everything from the channels to chat to scheduling meetings internally and externally.
  • Easy to use platform - It is easy to set up and it is easy for users to learn how to use it.
  • Integrations with other Microsoft Products - I like that it integrates with SharePoint and Outlook. I'm able to easily schedule meetings and share files.
  • It is continuing to evolve - It seems like every few months there is something new.
  • Lacks the ability to make one screen the main screen during a video call, it would be nice to pick a primary one if you have one main presenter and multiple people on the call. We use it to show our white board.
  • I wish the button to take notes for a meeting were more obvious. You have to join the chat to start the notes, which took me a while to figure out.
  • I wish the file structure integrated a little better with SharePoint and new folders weren't necessarily created.
Microsoft Teams is well suited for almost every scenario I can think of. Whether it is a large or small team or a non-profit/for-profit business or even a college, I think it can be a very valuable tool for everyone because of the way it promotes collaboration and gets you away from email. It is a lot easier to track conversations.
Read Heather Robinette, MBA's full review
Leonard Johnson profile photo
Teams has been a better part of our MSP team for over a year. We used Teams to discuss IT related issues with one another. It solves the issue of having a secluded place for our MSP team to discuss issues. We can easily create multiple chats and improve workflow.
  • Easy to use.
  • It utilizes Microsoft Office.
  • It's very reliable.
  • The overall user interface could use some work. It's kinda confusing at first (at first!)
  • It needs to be a bit more intuitive.
  • FAQ could use some work.
It is very reliable. Skype can be unreliable with its saved message history. Teams has all the features you need for your business. You can chat with other users one on one, or invite them to join a group. Teams has all the capabilities of Skype, but it's compacted into one program.
Read Leonard Johnson's full review
Jill Liegghio profile photo
We are rolling out Microsoft Teams as a collaboration tool across our organization as a possible replacement for Skype. We have beta users who have rolled it it out to their teams and I currently use it with my AP Team.
  • Easy links to Box and Sharepoint
  • Easy storage of internal Wiki info
  • Integration of group OneNote notebook
  • I do not like only having the option for persistent chat. I would like an option that really replaces Skype rather than documenting all conversations.
  • I wish we could have links in Wiki rather than only having notes
  • I wish the Wiki notes would collapse so that we can see just the head line of the the note rather than all the details
Teams works really well for internal groups who have documents they all need to access and share. It works well with other Microsoft products so you can access them through the Teams interface rather than searching through your internet browser or your internal network folders.
Read Jill Liegghio's full review
Oluwakorede Daramola profile photo
Microsoft Teams is used as a collaboration app that helps teams in my organization stay organized and have conversations—all in one place. It is being used across the whole organization. It has helped my organization address the issue of employees having to work remotely and monitor their productivity which is a very important.
  • Access to the latest versions of Office software (Word Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.). It also allows you to use the most advanced features in these applications that have seen significant improvement (e.g., Direct Translation of Text in a Second Language in Word, Using Geo Cards in Excel).
  • Availability of your files to you from any computer, tablet, and on your phones, sharing files with colleagues and working on the same file from different locations at the same time. These features have helped to significantly reduce the number of sent emails.
  • Saving files in the cloud ensures that the copy of your disc is saved.
  • Improvements have been made to make Microsoft Teams easier to navigate and use.
  • There are limitations when using the online Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel, etc.), the locally installed version on my laptop performs better.
  • Cloud services tend to be vulnerable to data breaches, so I might have some reservations as to being comfortable with cloud service.
  • A single window only- means I cannot open more than one item at a time. So, if I am in the middle of editing a document and I receive a chat message - I have to exit the document to look at the chat message (and respond) then go back into the Teams file folders and revert back to the specific document. This ends up wasting my time and making the whole process cumbersome for me.
  • An appropriate situation to use Microsoft Teams is when there is a need to multitask in editing a document or putting together a proposal or report that needs to be submitted in a limited time frame.
  • A less appropriate situation would be if just one person needs to work on a document and decides to do it on Microsoft Teams instead of just using a Microsoft office software installed directly on his/her computer system.
Read Oluwakorede Daramola's full review
Hilary Hobbs profile photo
Teams if being used across our entire organization, which is over 200 people. It is perfect for being able to quickly get ahold of anyone in any department. HR can also send a company-wide chat if something urgent needs to be addressed but doesn't need to be formal enough for an email. It also helps to know if someone you need to talk to is in a meeting or away from their desk. If I need to get ahold of my manager (who is in a completely different building) I can check teams to see if she is in a meeting or away from her desk by looking at her status. It saves a ton of time and relieves a lot of the stress of trying to communicate efficiently.
  • The ability to have a private chat with one person or a group message with everyone in your department.
  • All of our important documents are held in the 'wiki' portion of teams, which allows things to be easily accessed and all in one place.
  • I like that you can use GIFs right in the messenger. It adds a little fun to your usual chats.
  • Teams will randomly close for no particular reason throughout the day on my computer. It's a bit of an annoyance.
  • The activity portion confuses me time to time on which chat it is notifying me since I have private chats with the same people in group chats. Causes a little confusion.
  • It took me a while to realize that there is a sidebar for the wiki portion. I was only seeing one file when I knew there was more but couldn't find them.
Companies with a large population should seriously consider using Microsoft Teams to communicate, especially if you are already using Microsoft programs like Outlook and their calendar. It all connects together inside of teams. So if you have a meeting on your calendar, Teams will automatically place your status as red (which is 'in a meeting). If you have a very small company and/or don't already utilize Microsoft programs, Teams may not be best suited for your needs.
Read Hilary Hobbs's full review
Middleton Lisa profile photo
Microsoft Teams is being used across the whole organization. We have several campuses located in SC. With Microsoft Teams we are able to chat, schedule meetings, share and access files remotely. This has been very convenient in saving time and money due to traveling from one campus to another.
  • Accessing files has proven to be very valuable.
  • Meeting and communicating with other employees remotely via Microsoft Teams saves times and money, especially when team members are in different locations.
  • The cloud storage component allows for the uploading of larger files that can't be sent via email.
  • I have found that Microsoft spreadsheets do not perform as well in the platform. It has been problematic.
  • I would like for Microsoft Teams to send notifications by email or an alert when new activities take place and not only within the software.
  • I would love for team members to be able to make changes to files in the absence of a team leader. This proved to be a problem.
It is well suited for companies that have multiple locations. It brings the employees together in one place within the platform and eliminates the need to travel to multiple locations. My organization loves it and we use it across campus for various team settings. It's probably less suited for sharing files that contain sensitive information.
Read Middleton Lisa's full review
Michael Gibson profile photo
Microsoft Teams is a key part of our team management and our whole business uses it. We have a fully distributed team and no fixed hours. This is our tool for discussion, chat, pushing tasks "hey how is this task going? ", etc. We can see when a team member is online and catch up on how they are going and they can ask questions about tasks
  • It was very easy to get the whole team set-up and using Teams. The transition from Stride was the day we decided to start using Teams.
  • Online Team Meetings are a natural extension of the Team Chat. We use this feature to have team meetings as well as one-on-one chats. Our team is based in Australia and overseas so we have found audio-only works best, but we have done video meetings with no problem as well.
  • Chat Rooms set up by user groups and teams are vital for keeping business chat focused. We have some specific chats for key team members as well as our general Team chat.
  • Gifs and emoticons are a part of life for Millennials these days so this feature does help the team spirit and encourages involvement. This makes a difference to productivity so it improves ROI. And its fun.
  • Just like Stride, the Search feature in Teams is not great. I even use a keyword in my chats as we discuss different topics in the one room so search should work. Any key information/decisions are better placed elsewhere (we use JIRA and Confluence).
  • I hate jumping back through the chat to piece together the comments on one topic. Threads are a much better option for keeping detailed discussions together. But we still like the central dashboard approach of rooms. A room lets you catch up on recent chats more easily than a lot of threads. And status flags help us know when Team members are online. We are yet decide if we move to software that handles this. I'd like both!
  • Some chat is light and doesn't need to be kept. However, Stride let us Flag key comments, Decisions made and Action flags. Stickers is maybe useful here. Even if we had this feature, I suspect key decisions need to be copied over to a more appropriate medium. Perhaps a download transcripts options that can be edited out to create Meeting Minutes.
  • Low-cost, easy to start team chat tool. It is a quick to get rolling and intuitive to use. If you have nothing, or are using email chains, this really adds value. Great to keep our team in touch with each other - team connections matter.
  • It doesn't replace effective minute taking for meetings, detailed discussion of topics to arrive at better processes nor should it replace project management processes.
Read Michael Gibson's full review
Bryan Goodyear, PMP, CSM profile photo
Microsoft Teams is leveraged across the organization for instant messaging, conferencing, collaboration, and we'll soon be using enterprise voice. Microsoft Teams is great for keeping operational and project-based collaboration. I use it in my projects and program management. It's great for communicating the current status of projects, as well as leveraging other apps like Planner, OneNote, etc. to help the team in their execution. These apps integrate extremely well into Teams, making it the one-stop location for everything needed (documents, notes, conversations, tasks, etc.).
  • Collaboration: integrated apps into Microsoft Teams sites keep everything in one place.
  • Administration: users can be added into Teams by owners, rather than going through the help desk to administer permissions via methods like Active Directory.
  • Conferencing: it works consistently well, and you can add other features like external dial-in and enterprise voice with an upgraded license.
  • Performance: Microsoft Teams can be slow to react, but this has greatly improved since its initial release.
  • Multi-Tasking: When organizing my work, I'm used to having multiple windows open. Teams typically only lets you have one app or Team open at a time.
  • Guest access: It takes a very long time to switch organizations if you're listed as a guest in another organization. It'd be good if switching organizations was a faster process.
Microsoft Teams is well suited in operational & project-based collaboration. Departments like Information Technology or Finance can leverage Teams to notify employees of what's going on in the organization and track operational tasks. Project Teams can leverage the conversations and file repository for project work -- once the project is concluded, artifacts should be archived, and all living documents should be moved to an 'operational home.'
Teams is less suited for collaboration with external partners. As stated earlier, guest access is a challenge, especially when switching organizations.
Read Bryan Goodyear, PMP, CSM's full review
Che Odom profile photo
Currently, MS Teams is being used as our internal instant messenger and file sharing option, as well as our meeting option for conference calls and screen shares. This product is used by all members of our company, and it is a simple way to enable instant communication and sharing and to ensure that conference calls and meetings are using the same tool by everyone rather than having multiple different software options in use as we have had in the past.
  • Instant messenger.
  • Instant file sharing.
  • Contact information within an organization.
  • Creation of teams for specific project communication.
  • I think that in the meetings tool it would be best if once the administrator joins the meeting, that all people joining thereafter or waiting are automatically admitted, having to monitor the people attempting to join the meeting and "admit" them from the "lobby" adds complexity without any reason, and in some cases some people are not admitted because the administrator starts the meeting and is not able to easily monitor who is "waiting".
  • Creating a chat could be a little easier, it is not as intuitive as I want it to be.
  • It would be nice to be able to search contacts external to the organization for MS Teams membership and be able to instant message them somehow.
Microsoft Temas is great for internal communication and meetings with both internal and external people.
The instant messenger is not suited for external communication, and in fact, that is not an option within Teams. It would be great if that were an option that was available.
It is great for meetings because the screen sharing is intuitive and the sound (when using the computer as the audio source) is always automatically picked up and works without error when with other conference call/meeting options using computer audio can be complicated and does not always work properly.
Read Che Odom's full review
Rick Lupton profile photo
Microsoft Teams is used by our department and across campus for chat and collaboration features. We were previously using Skype for Business, which was widely accepted as a successor to Microsoft Lync and Windows Communicator. Teams provides additional features over basic Instant Messaging clients or Conferencing platforms. Many features that are common to Microsoft SharePoint such as collaborative file editing and sharing have been implemented in the product. As the name of this product implies, the focus is on developing teams of people that you can work with together on projects and other tasks. You can hold a group meeting, phone call, edit files together and many other features.
  • Document collaboration.
  • Group chat.
  • Instant messaging.
  • Project communication.
  • Online meetings.
  • Employee directory.
  • User presence.
  • Status updates.
  • Integration with phone.
Microsoft Teams is good for an IT department working together on a project. It has great features for collaboration, file sharing, video chat, and task check-ins. It is possible for one person to be a part of multiple project teams or just a general chat group.

Communication with persons outside of your organization may be slightly more difficult than with using Skype or Cisco Jabber. Also, the lack of VoIP phone integration leaves something to be desired.
Read Rick Lupton's full review

High quality audio (66)
High quality video (66)
Low bandwidth requirements (63)
Mobile support (69)
Desktop sharing (64)
Whiteboards (38)
Calendar integration (69)
Meeting initiation (69)
Integrates with social media (34)
Record meetings / events (46)
Slideshows (40)
Live chat (66)
Audience polling (30)
Q&A (32)
User authentication (55)
Participant roles & permissions (55)
Confidential attendee list (37)

About Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams combines video conferencing software with team collaboration tools. The communications platform allows MS Office users to conduct conference calls and share files via SharePoint, and join or initiate a group chat.

Microsoft Teams features three tiers of pricing. The first is a subscription-less, free option that offers the same features as the other two tiers but does not offer administration tools like analytics and access to on-premise servers, or support features like 24/7 phone and web support. The second and third tiers are based on the size of your business and its conferencing needs. Its “Office 365 Business Premium” option starts at $12.50 a month per user, with a required annual commitment, and its “Office 365 E3” option for enterprises starts at $20 a month per user, also with a required annual commitment.

Key Features
Meetings: Meet with teams of 10 or 10,000. Host audio, video, and web conferences with anyone inside or outside your organization or go big with live events.

Calling: Its Phone System feature enables PBX capabilities including call control in Office 365 and replaces on-premises PBX. Its calling features are customizable to fit your organization’s unique needs.

Microsoft Teams Technical Details