Microsoft Teams Reviews

Karen Zelzer | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2019

Microsoft Teams, connecting employees both in and out of the office

We use Microsoft Teams for group discussions and chats between coworkers who are on the other side of the office. We are phasing out our landline phones which we used to use to page someone at their desk. We are now using Microsoft Teams to have conversations and "page" a coworker instead of trying to hunt them down in the office. We are also working on becoming more mobile and allowing more employees the option to work remotely, Microsoft Teams allows us to see who is online and provides an easy way to contact them when they are away from the office.

Right now our Engineering and Administration departments are the main groups using Microsoft Teams, the goal is to have this be used company-wide.
  • Lets employees know who is online and makes it easy to contact them for questions.
  • Able to see if someone is busy and should not be disturbed which helps save time in trying to contact them or hunt them down.
  • Allows specific groups to be created where we can share ideas and brainstorm without having to interrupt other employees in the office.
  • Wish there way a better way to organize who you see on the side bar, right now I only know of chats being organized by Recent or by Contacts.
  • Wish you could zoom out on the calendar, I like seeing multiple weeks and even the whole month so I know when meetings are coming up. Right now you can only view the calendar in Day, Work Week, or Week mode.
Can have group chats on topics that only concern a few employees. We have a Technology group where we add and brainstorm new applications and software that might be appropriate for our company. It's a good way to organize our ideas and thoughts without having to send out mass email chains and we can discuss the ideas at our next meeting.
Microsoft Teams also lets us efficiently communicate with remote workers since email can lag. This allows almost real-time conversations and collaborations for our employees.
Read Karen Zelzer's full review
Hilary Hobbs | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 25, 2020

Microsoft Teams for Teams is A++

Teams if being used across our entire organization, which is over 200 people. It is perfect for being able to quickly get ahold of anyone in any department. HR can also send a company-wide chat if something urgent needs to be addressed but doesn't need to be formal enough for an email. It also helps to know if someone you need to talk to is in a meeting or away from their desk. If I need to get ahold of my manager (who is in a completely different building) I can check teams to see if she is in a meeting or away from her desk by looking at her status. It saves a ton of time and relieves a lot of the stress of trying to communicate efficiently.
  • The ability to have a private chat with one person or a group message with everyone in your department.
  • All of our important documents are held in the 'wiki' portion of teams, which allows things to be easily accessed and all in one place.
  • I like that you can use GIFs right in the messenger. It adds a little fun to your usual chats.
  • Teams will randomly close for no particular reason throughout the day on my computer. It's a bit of an annoyance.
  • The activity portion confuses me time to time on which chat it is notifying me since I have private chats with the same people in group chats. Causes a little confusion.
  • It took me a while to realize that there is a sidebar for the wiki portion. I was only seeing one file when I knew there was more but couldn't find them.
Companies with a large population should seriously consider using Microsoft Teams to communicate, especially if you are already using Microsoft programs like Outlook and their calendar. It all connects together inside of teams. So if you have a meeting on your calendar, Teams will automatically place your status as red (which is 'in a meeting). If you have a very small company and/or don't already utilize Microsoft programs, Teams may not be best suited for your needs.
Read Hilary Hobbs's full review
Gabriela Band | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2020

Great for big businesses

Microsoft Teams is being used in all of the organization. It has exceeded our expectations in terms of user adoption and engagement. It has allowed for more collaboration and, being a big company, it helps with remote work at other locations. It integrated seamlessly with the rest of the Microsoft suite of products. Microsoft Teams is easy to use and customer-centric. It has a lot of benefits.
  • Integrated with all of Microsoft's suite of products
  • Great mobile functionality
  • Upon opening a Skype invitation, it does not automatically open in Teams. Not very user-friendly on that.
  • You can't delete a sent message on the chat tab.
Microsoft Teams is useful for big companies. It is possible that from small enterprises the expensive costs outweigh the benefits, but for big corporations, it works great to unify the company on a central hub and standardizes the tools needed for work. Software like SharePoint, OneNote, and Excel, which are vital for the day-to-day, are now spread across all of the organization and all of the team uses them.
Read Gabriela Band's full review
Shanti Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2020

The undefined truth

The main aim of Microsoft Teams is to connect staff and enhance collaboration. It has provided an alternative to email communications. I think this is a digital transformation of an office space. It has provided a safe space for our company communication, which provides many options for sharing documents, files, etc. Before this our organization was using emails or general messaging applications which has many limitations and some fear of breach too. In our organization every department has their own Teams account and it is controlled by their heads, so there is no fear of collision between them.
  • The best part of Microsoft Teams is that they keep all records of conversation within the meetings. So there is no need to use any screen recorders or any other application to record the chats, whether you are one on one or you are with a group.
  • The command box which is used to search anything within Microsoft Teams is very useful. You don't need to navigate all chats, you just have to search for the name in the command box and it will show you that.
  • It doesn't have a group calendar option, which is pretty annoying.
  • I have found that the permission settings are pretty confusing.
Microsoft Teams is important because prior to its introduction, the company had only modest success in establishing a collaboration tool beyond email. There is Sharepoint for document collaboration, and there is a real-time communication and meetings from Microsoft which is Skype for Business, and now rolled into Teams. These are some good business social networking tools which are used by almost every organization.
Since it is a part of the Office 365 family, it also integrates with other Office 365 apps such as Word, Excel, presentation and many more. Microsoft is also focusing on security as well. The Data from Teams is encrypted which is avoiding data breaching.
Read Shanti Sharma's full review
Charles R. Coggins III | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 23, 2020

MS Teams a wonderful small business application

MS Teams is being used by our entire organization. We mostly use Teams as a form of communication between all the employees. There has been plenty of times though where we use the video chat functions to do meetings with members of the teams who are out of state. We were looking into using VoIP that is also built-in, but this is super expensive even for a small company like ourselves. The business problem this solves for us is the ability to quickly communicate with each other without having to send out an email and hoping the other user gets it. This also allows you to see in Teams if the user is available, busy, away, or just not online at all.
  • Teams is excellent for a business where employees in the company are not located in the same building and need to communicate with each other.
  • Team's does Video and Audio calling really well. We have not experienced any issues with quality as of yet.
  • The biggest downfall with Teams is some users experience slowness with this product. I personally have not had an issue, but I am the IT person who goes around and fixes issues in-house and I sometimes see Teams causing huge CPU and Memory spikes and watch the software lag on peoples PC's for no reason.
  • I also don't like the way it stores attachments. If you add an attachment to a message it will store it in a folder and sometimes that folder is really hard to find.
I really think MS Teams is well suited for any organization. I don't have experience with Slack or any other actual business messaging service though. If you have people you need to speak with frequently then this is a great solution. It works really well for IT Support especially when we have new staff that always require help. They can just send screenshots of what they are seeing in a message to a group of support people (you can create groups and add a bunch of people to the group) and someone can help them out pretty quickly.

The only thing I can think of that would not be a good scenario would be if you are running mostly Linux desktops. Teams did just come out with a Linux version though, but I have not had a chance to use it. Also if you didn't like to use MS Products there are other options out there.
Read Charles R. Coggins III's full review
Zack Uzzle, ITIL, ATD Master Trainer | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 21, 2020

Teams: A robust collaboration suite that helps you get things done!

The majority of departments at my organization use Microsoft Teams even though we haven't officially implemented it. Primarily, my department uses teams to organize our work, hold weekly team meetings as well as integrate with other platforms such as Trello and Microsoft Planner. In terms of collaborative work, Microsoft Teams has been really helpful in condensing various tool sets into one simple platform.
  • Voice and video quality
  • System integrations
  • There are a lot of different functions within Teams, so there's a bit of a learning curve.
  • It would be nice if there were different color themes to choose from (a dark theme would be excellent).
Microsoft Teams' integration with Outlook (specifically calendar) and the ability to hop into a video meeting quickly and easily is a great time saver. Organizing work through various team pages and ability to attach or sync files makes it super simple to share work and collaborate. While Teams is great for use with teams (hence the name), I don't know that I'd use it independently.
Read Zack Uzzle, ITIL, ATD Master Trainer's full review
Chris Carpenter | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 21, 2020

Microsoft Teams is the robust and integrated collaboration platform I have been waiting for.

Microsoft Teams is being used by our entire portfolio and across all operating companies. I work for an operating company within a portfolio of companies for a large holding company, Danaher. At the highest level, we use Teams as a meta collaboration platform for messaging, contextual collaboration as a progression from SharePoint (we still use SharePoint), as a meeting center that replaced Skype and WebEx, and as a cross-OpCo collaboration platform. It is, for us, the early stages of moving from a collaboration model that is primarily SharePoint based to Teams. One of the surprising uses is as an enablement tool for some of the Office 365 tools like Planner.
  • It handles meetings really well--both video and audio.
  • The mobile client is a very nice value add.
  • The ad-hoc SharePoint that can be used in Teams is not integrated under the governance of existing enterprise versions, so users can get confused about what they are using.
  • Integration of Office 365 tools is not fully functional like their standalone instances.
Microsoft Teams is particularly well suited for communications - chat, web conference, video conference, and telephony. Teams does a great job of creating some robust ad-hoc contexts for communication (chat + files), and it allows us to communicate across operating companies efficiently and effectively. Teams also is great for integrating (in channel tabs) some of the other Microsoft Office 365 tools like Planner, SharePoint, etc.
Read Chris Carpenter's full review
Quentin Goin | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 21, 2020

Communicate quickly and efficiently.

We are using MS Teams across a small team of 3 people. My last organization was using it across a team of 10-15 people and were moving more people to Teams as Skype for Business was the standard for years and being moved over to Teams eventually. I wish the move over to Teams would have been an organization decision rather than the grass roots impact like it was.
  • Voice quality is typically really good.
  • Sharing your screen or application works well.
  • Needing a lighter plug-in for customers who don't have Teams and need to download it to join your meeting.
  • If joining over voice and sharing screen, bandwidth requirements seem to go up more than other tools. I could be wrong on this or there are other factors going on here.
Teams works great for anyone who has Office 365 with other users in their organization. It is nicely integrated with Outlook to quickly create internal and external meeting requests. You can see all your recent files. You can request to take over another persons screen and control it. Video works great to easily have a virtual meeting to make everyone feel part of the meeting. I like being able to ping someone quickly throughout the day.
It is interesting how I end up using the tool the most of the people I communicate with use. Slack and Teams have been the 2 main tools I've experienced using. For doing demonstrations, online meetings, I've gone between Zoom (my favorite), GoToMeeting and Teams. If I want to have the presentation go as smoothly as possible with people joining easily, sound working, then I use Zoom. If it is only a couple people from a current customer, then I'm fine using Teams.
Read Quentin Goin's full review
Nicolas Poague | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 20, 2020

Solid collaboration tool with room for improvements

We started using Teams internally with the IT department in order to collaborate and communicate about upcoming projects. Since Microsoft began putting a lot of attention into the product, we saw it as an opportunity to use across the company within departments and teams. Right now we are continuing to evaluate Teams as a possible replacement for another chat/softphone application. It seems that Teams is becoming more integrated with many common phone systems; if that continues to be the case, it will likely become more easily adopted for us.
  • Chat.
  • File-sharing.
  • Calendar integration - easier to sync with Outlook calendars especially in channels using Planner.
  • Spell-check performance - seems to be a significant delay in the time it takes for spell-check to register.
For departments with multiple projects or team collaborations, it makes communication, planning, and file sharing very simple. It may be less suitable for simple department or company communication, where you may be better going with more of an Intranet implementation. Teams is best suited for constant chatting and sharing related to specific projects or initiatives.
Read Nicolas Poague's full review
Stephanie Majeran | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

Microsoft Teams works well for smaller, globally based teams

I use Microsoft Teams as part of my contractor role with another company. It has been SUPER helpful for keeping me in the loop about what is going on since I'm only in the office with the team members sporadically. The different channels are great for posting things that are relevant for the whole team, the chat function has been helpful as well. I have also used it to conference call in and share screens for training purposes. I like how all of that is housed in one spot, instead of having a separate place for chat and another place for video etc.
  • Great combination of communication avenues
  • Notification of relevant posts to email, in case you're not logged in
  • It is not overly intuitive. When I first jumped in, with no training, it took some time for me to get the hang of where everything lived.
  • Opening other Microsoft apps FROM Teams is ugly
Microsoft Teams has worked great for this small-ish consulting agency, particularly because they have consultants all over the world. It is a great way to keep us all connected without flooding email boxes and gives one spot to house things to be communicated and referred back to. I like that there aren't multiple tools that are needed to chat, video, and make general posts. Larger firms I think may find it a little less ideal, work would need to be done to come up with relevant channels so that people wouldn't be too overwhelmed with irrelevant information. Likely some policies about what is appropriate to post to a public channel and what isn't would be helpful.
Read Stephanie Majeran's full review
Melissa Rances, PMP | TrustRadius Reviewer

Microsoft Teams Review

Microsoft Teams is being used within my internal team to communicate and collaborate on multiple projects. We use it to share files and store and update live documents through SharePoint. We use it across the whole organization to collaborate with other teams in different locations in our company. We also use Microsoft Teams to communicate with our customers who are outside of our organization so that we can be in constant communication with them as we work on their projects on a daily basis. It gives them instant access to us instead of writing a lengthy email and allows them to see if we are currently in a meeting or not since Microsoft Teams can sync with our calendars.
  • Collaboration with others inside and outside your organization
  • Ability to access Microsoft Teams on any mobile device
  • Limitations to what and how apps can be added to your team when you add a tab; for example, you cannot add an existing project from Planner to your team. You have to create the project from Planner once you add it as a tab in Teams
  • I just created a team from scratch and for some reason, it keeps disappearing from my dashboard.
Microsoft Teams is well suited for projects that need a lot of collaboration between stakeholders that are in multiple locations and need to be in constant communication with each other. It is great for file sharing as well. It is less appropriate, though, as a project management tool as it does not possess the dynamic functionality that other project management tools, such as Asana or Jira, have.
Read Melissa Rances, PMP's full review
Cindy Arco | TrustRadius Reviewer

Helps Make a Winning Team

Microsoft Teams was implemented across our entire organization but then used for individuals teams and departments. Microsoft Teams provides a one-stop-shop/"landing spot" for members of a team to share valuable information, documents and keep track of each others' progress on critical projects. It allows team members to collaborate more seamlessly than with previous methods, such as regularly emailing each other information, documents, and project updates.
  • Great Layout - Microsoft Teams has a great layout/interface.
  • App Integration - Microsoft Teams allows integration for several other apps/programs, including those from Microsoft and other developers.
  • Team Management - anyone can create a team, so if there is no direction from upper management about how to best use the app and who should be leading. Its integration within an individual department or team, you could quickly end up with more than one "Team" on the app.
  • Replication - some of the functions, like the chat feature, replicate the functionality of other popular apps many companies already use, like the chat feature and Skype. So you could end up with multiple chats going on the same project that aren't all within the Teams app.
  • Microsoft Teams can work well for small-medium size teams that collaborate closely on specific initiatives and projects. Even if team members are geographically dispersed, they can manage everything smoothly and efficiently within the Microsoft Teams digital space.
  • Microsoft Teams is likely not a good fit for a large team that reports to the same supervisor or manager but doesn't work specifically on projects together.
Read Cindy Arco's full review
Matt Varney | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

Microsoft Teams - A lot to it!

We have been a long-time Skype customer (and before that Lync and Office Communications Server), so we're following the evolution path for internal communications workloads. We are using Teams all across our organization. As an education institution, we have also used Skype and will be using Teams in a classroom setting to support teaching and learning activities, particularly for our online and distance education offerings. Aside from the communications aspects and needs of our various internal groups and classes, we are also starting to leverage Microsoft Teams for our more collaborative groups that create and manage a lot of content and documents. Many of those groups have been using a combination of email and traditional SharePoint team sites (going back to SharePoint 2007), but the Microsoft Teams experience allows them to work more collaboratively and in a more connected way, while still having the power of the backend storage in SharePoint. For example, our team that manages policies and business procedures recently completed a large effort to review and revise many of those documents. Using Teams, they were able to take advantage of simultaneous document editing to make those processes quicker.
  • It allows for "in the moment" or "in the flow" collaboration. For instance, you can share a document while chatting about it. The chat and document are always connected and it is easy to see the surrounding context of comments and how they relate to portions of a document.
  • The Teams mobile client is excellent. Far superior to the Skype mobile client.
  • The name "Teams" can be confusing, particularly if your organization has used SharePoint team sites much in the past. Also, it is a plural noun name, so it can be grammatically awkward as an IT person to suggest to a group that they "may want to try a new Teams".
  • There is a lot to the Teams experience. The communications portions (chatting and Teams meetings) can be fairly straightforward to understand on a basic level, but when you start combining that with ongoing work for standing groups (i.e. real-world teams), then Teams can get overwhelming to think about how that team works. It isn't a technology capability problem - it is an issue of making sure the work (and processes) fits the technology.
To accurately answer this, there may need to be some distinction around the functionalities Teams can provide. So for online meetings, chatting, and even webinars and online events, Teams is a great option. Licensing variations may be a bit confusing, but an organization could easily use Teams to hold meetings and other online events for groups internally and externally. That meeting content can be recorded, transcribed, and even translated on the fly for various audiences as well. If the people in your group (or organization) are naturally open and collaborative, then this technology can easily support and extend those actions while still providing the necessary security and compliance needs around any content or documents. If your people aren't as open or collaborative, then Teams will not fix that issue. No technology will. If your people or organization are not open and collaborative out of a desire or a perceived need, then Teams may be able to put some of those concerns to ease if properly implemented and trained. The security and compliance controls are quite strong and are worth a look.
Read Matt Varney's full review
Taylor Martz | TrustRadius Reviewer

Teams at a glance

Microsoft Teams is currently being used by our entire organization. It was rolled out this year as part of an effort to increase employee communication and engagement. Previously, the only form of communication was through email (not including phone and videoconferencing). The speed at which we can now communicate has helped add to the overall production of our workforce. In addition, it's built camaraderie. Employees interact more frequently across the organization and around the globe and can get answers to their questions much quicker.
  • Allows for "groups" to be formed to help segment and organize chats and communication for projects, teams, departments, etc.
  • Allows file sharing and storage within the platform.
  • I feel the user interface is a little clunky and could be more modern/smooth.
  • The "call" and "video chat" feature does not work well with overseas counterparts.
If you are already operating within the Microsoft Office 365 platform, then Teams easily integrates into the O365 environment across the organization. You are able to incorporate OneDrive and SharePoint files and links within the chats and "Teams" feature, which helps keep work moving. I don't know if it's best for places where you'd need a paper trail or need a written word for legal issues (as these aren't as easily accessed). I also feel there are some enhancements and improvements that need to be made before I would willingly want to share this format with others.
Read Taylor Martz's full review
Rodrigo Amigorena | TrustRadius Reviewer

Microsoft Teams - Can’t Live Without You

Microsoft Teams is being used across the organization. We are in the process of rolling it out more extensively as we still have Skype for Business. Teams is a great tool to reduce the email volume and provide a secure and centralized place to share content within a team.
  • File Collaboration
  • Reduce Email traffic
  • Custom Lists
  • Custom permissions for files
It works very well to share content within a defined team. It is not ideal if you need to share content with people outside your team. The risk is to get a proliferation of teams that then become dormant
Read Rodrigo Amigorena's full review
Heather Robinette, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Collaboration and Communication Tool for All Teams

Microsoft Teams is our main resource of collaboration, communication, and projects. It is used across the entire organization and it helps cut down on the number of applications we have to use. Everything is slowly being integrated into Teams so it is a one-stop-shop for everything we need. We use it for everything from the channels to chat to scheduling meetings internally and externally.
  • Easy to use platform - It is easy to set up and it is easy for users to learn how to use it.
  • Integrations with other Microsoft Products - I like that it integrates with SharePoint and Outlook. I'm able to easily schedule meetings and share files.
  • It is continuing to evolve - It seems like every few months there is something new.
  • Lacks the ability to make one screen the main screen during a video call, it would be nice to pick a primary one if you have one main presenter and multiple people on the call. We use it to show our white board.
  • I wish the button to take notes for a meeting were more obvious. You have to join the chat to start the notes, which took me a while to figure out.
  • I wish the file structure integrated a little better with SharePoint and new folders weren't necessarily created.
Microsoft Teams is well suited for almost every scenario I can think of. Whether it is a large or small team or a non-profit/for-profit business or even a college, I think it can be a very valuable tool for everyone because of the way it promotes collaboration and gets you away from email. It is a lot easier to track conversations.
Read Heather Robinette, MBA's full review
Muhammad Mulla | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Teams, the natural progression from Skype for Business

We are using Microsoft Teams in our organization for chat, sharing, collaboration, and for telephone calls and meetings (voice as well as video). It is a great all-in-one tool, and the teams that have access to all the features have embraced it quite quickly. We often get requests from people who are still on Skype for Business that they should be fully enabled/migrated to Teams as we are doing a phased migration.
  • File sharing for the team
  • Chat
  • Sometimes a single-pane of glass may be difficult for people to use.
Microsoft Teams is well suited in a collaborative environment. Especially if you have remote team members, it is probably less well suited if the only people you need to communicate with for your role are located in your immediate vicinity.
Read Muhammad Mulla's full review
Guillermo Villamizar | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2019

Great software for communication within the company

Microsoft Teams is being used by the whole organization, and it allows the entire company to be communicated at every moment. It is really easy to set up a call or a meeting, and it allows to add more participants if needed without any problem. It really helps to stay closer to your coworkers.
  • Easy to set up phone calls.
  • Easy to set up meetings.
  • The audio codecs could be a bit better.
  • Login in the app fails sometimes.
We have multiple companies in different countries across America and
Europe. With this software, the capabilities of communicating with
anyone across the company has expanded and even with people on-the-go
because they can use the mobile app to stay in touch with their co-workers. Excellent for companies with branches in different locations.
Read Guillermo Villamizar's full review
Eddie Moncayo, MBA, SWP, RACR | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 28, 2019

Microsoft Teams Makes Collaboration and Communication Easy

Microsoft Teams is an incredibly powerful tool that easily makes communication and collaboration possible for remote and dispersed teams. Its chat function is stellar and it's document sharing easily makes it a must-have for any organization. The ability to access additional add on apps, along with its ability to make phone calls and share calendars is a game-changer.
  • Document loading and sharing is a game-changer for instant collaboration, especially with multiple individuals.
  • Chat functionality easily rivals Slack and the integration of chat with Teams other powerful functions makes it a must-have for communication.
  • Calendar and voice functions are also integrated into the tool and essential.
  • More third party apps are needed.
  • When transitioning from Skype to Teams, some quirky things occurred when identifying user statuses.
Microsoft Teams is suited for business of all sizes, so long as you can pay the licenses for all of the users. The tool is incredibly powerful and integrates beautifully with Office 365 products. It's especially strong when collaborating with workgroups needing to drive projects and presentations to closure. The calendar integration is also a nice touch along with the ability to communicate via voice.
Read Eddie Moncayo, MBA, SWP, RACR's full review
Jonathon Elslager | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 19, 2020

Teams Great Tool and Group Collaboration

We use Teams across our whole organization. We use it to communicate internally on different department channels and then breaking it down to each project that we have.
It helps us to solve our complex communication and teleconference needs. It allows us to stay organized and have all of our conversations in one place.
  • Teleconferences/Screen-share.
  • Spaces that separate out different projects or Teams.
  • Add-on apps.
  • Speed.
  • Better integrations with outlook.
  • Better notification control.
Microsoft teams is well suited for companies that have large teams or multiple departments that need to communicate effectively. Teams of people can keep track of every detail that was discussed or add topics to the Wiki. Teams is overkill for smaller groups and teams.
Read Jonathon Elslager's full review
Sierra Schubach | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 15, 2019

Microsoft Teams gets the job done!

Microsoft Team is being used across our entire organization. We use it to communicate between different departments and within our own departments. We did not receive any formal training, so we are just now starting to use it for our conference calls and meetings. We use it to share files and calendar integration is very useful for our company.
  • Outlook integration
  • Outlook calendar integration
  • Creating different teams for communication
  • It isn't as intuitive as I would like, I find myself clicking around a lot when I am looking for a certain task
  • Notifications are limited and don't always work
  • Settings are limited
This tech is well suited for communication between coworkers and teams within an organization. The meetings option is awesome and very user-friendly both on desktop and on a mobile device. I personally love dark mode. The teams options is great for sending mass messages and collaborating. Sharing files is easy and making calls is also great within the program.
Read Sierra Schubach's full review
Matthew Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 09, 2019

Microsoft Teams for Project Management

Right now, our company uses Teams for daily operations, meetings, and training. We have several groups set up as different departments, each with their own channels set up as projects. Each channel allows multiple tabs, in which we insert OneNote, Word, Excel, and web links to increase efficiency. The chat and screen share function is utilized daily.
  • A place to collaborate.
  • Native workspace to bring in other MS products, and even other web-based sites, and resources.
  • Increases efficiency between multiple MS products and features.
  • Wish you could share/send a channel between other groups.
  • Would like to see better web support for viewing Excel files, or other websites.
  • Can be a bit time consuming when managing the Wiki data, especially when removing old channels from OneDrive.
In a collaborative setting or one that requires information to be shared across offices and locations, Microsoft Teams is well suited. If you like the SharePoint site ergonomics than no, teams is not SharePoint. It's another way to interact with the same information, though.
Read Matthew Smith's full review
Melinda Saternis | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 17, 2019

An Effective & Fun Way to Communicate

We use Microsoft Teams to communicate throughout the company. It's still being implemented in some sections but is rolling out quickly and able to meet our needs.
  • It's fast with very few issues revolving around connectivity
  • It's significantly updated compared to some other chat programs that we also use.
  • There are more features making it more enjoyable to use.
  • I actually haven't come across any true issues with it yet. It's been able to meet all our needs and then some.
In my line of work sometimes I just have a quick question that doesn't necessarily require an email being sent, this is the perfect way to accomplish my task. I'm able to send off a quick chat directly to the person and hear back instantly. My particular space is very quiet and when I need to ask a coworker next to me a question, this makes it easier.
Read Melinda Saternis's full review
February 26, 2020

The Right Fit for a Microsoft Heavy Workplace

Microsoft Teams is being used virtually exclusively by myself and my co-workers for work-related chat and rapid communication. What started as a shout-out for it from one of our managers that likes to try new things exploded into a full-organization adoption of the software within a week. Our former software that we still use for VoIP had a chat function that was clunky and limited, but Teams has been a breath of fresh air, adding personality and useability to our internal chat function. The ability to share spreadsheets with previews, GIFs, and screenshots seamlessly without having to attached anything manually is a huge plus.

The software also interfaces perfectly with Outlook in terms of availability and calendar, something our former chat software wasn't able to do. The screensharing aspect of a call or video chat adds another convenience of not having to unplug the laptop and bring it to someone for them to take a look at what you're referencing.

The interface has a very short learning curve, and is in every way intuitive, even to my co-workers that are usually late adopters of new things.

A hidden gem that might not be readily apparent is the "more apps" area under the button that looks like an elipse. This allows interfacing with OneNote and other apps!
  • Filesharing
  • GIFs and other fun aspects of a chat software
  • "(name) is typing" display.
  • Interfacing with Microsoft Suite programs
  • Drawing contacts from Outlook
  • A taskbar widget that allows replies from right clicking the taskbar icon.
  • more GIF engines beyond GIPHY, or a native GIPHY interface complete with mood categories.
  • Recent Chats column collapsible to bubbles with initial before disappearing when narrowing the window, similar to Apple iMessage on Mac software.
For intra-company communication, Microsoft Teams is perfectly suited. Informal, quick, and fun, it's perfect from co-worker to co-worker.

Externally, Microsoft Teams is probably less appropriate. With client or customer contact, it's probably the best way to go.

Another factor to consider within the company is the importance level of the message and to what degree communications should be easily preserved, printed, or forwarded and copied to other individuals.
January 17, 2020

Microsoft Teams needs a serious UI/UX overhaul, and for now there are better options out there

Microsoft Teams is being used by various departments throughout our organization to coordinate team work and specific projects. We use it as a central repository for documents related to a team or project. We also sometimes use the discussion feature to communicate within our teams. Occasionally some of our teams will conduct Teams Meetings in lieu of Skype or WebEx meetings. Not everyone in the organization uses it, and some departments use it much more heavily than others.
  • It allows all of the documents for a project to be stored on the cloud and updated in real time, instead of on a network drive where changes are more difficult to track.
  • It allows teams to keep their communication and project files centralized, instead of in disparate places.
  • Navigation within a document set is clunky. For example, clicking "back" never takes you back to the previous screen or one level up, like you'd expect. It takes you back to the main document set. This causes clicking in circles if you are trying to edit multiple documents in a folder.
  • Moving documents from one place to another is also clunky and not intuitive. You cannot move an entire folder, but only a single document at a time. This wastes time.
Microsoft Teams is well suited for organizations where everyone is on board with it, and therefore all teams are using it. When you have some departments using Teams and others not using it, this leads to confusion as to where documents are stored, and access issues if someone needs to see a document but is not part of the appropriate Team. I also think there are more intuitive cloud-based file sharing systems out there. Microsoft Teams needs to work on its user interface to make it quicker and easier to organize and edit document sets.

Task Management (29)
Gantt Charts (11)
5.7
Scheduling (23)
Workflow Automation (14)
Mobile Access (34)
Search (31)
Visual planning tools (20)
6.3
Chat (39)
Notifications (38)
Discussions (37)
Surveys (13)
Internal knowledgebase (15)
Integrates with GoToMeeting (5)
6.6
Integrates with Gmail and Google Hangouts (5)
6.2
Integrates with Outlook (33)
Versioning (23)
Video files (26)
Audio files (26)
Document collaboration (35)
Access control (29)
Advanced security features (21)
Integrates with Google Drive (7)
Device sync (20)

About Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams combines video conferencing software with team collaboration tools. The communications platform allows MS Office users to conduct conference calls and share files via SharePoint, and join or initiate a group chat.

Microsoft Teams features three tiers of pricing. The first is a subscription-less, free option that offers the same features as the other two tiers but does not offer administration tools like analytics and access to on-premise servers, or support features like 24/7 phone and web support. The second and third tiers are based on the size of your business and its conferencing needs. Its “Office 365 Business Premium” option starts at $12.50 a month per user, with a required annual commitment, and its “Office 365 E3” option for enterprises starts at $20 a month per user, also with a required annual commitment.

Key Features
Meetings: Meet with teams of 10 or 10,000. Host audio, video, and web conferences with anyone inside or outside your organization or go big with live events.

Calling: Its Phone System feature enables PBX capabilities including call control in Office 365 and replaces on-premises PBX. Its calling features are customizable to fit your organization’s unique needs.

Microsoft Teams Technical Details