Slack Reviews

Divesh Kumar | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 18, 2020

Great communication tool within an organization

Slack in used in our organization as a messaging platform over the web, where we connect with our colleagues and share information i.e, files, documents, pictures, etc. Slack is an alternative to most of our bcc's and cc's mail. It is used across the whole organization. Through Slack, we form a small group while working on a project, we do this for quick and easy passing of information.
  • Easy to use. Nice UI and UX.
  • Get a notification for every message that we receive.
  • Can form a small group to communicate with others while working on a common project.
  • No automatic messaging send option available.
  • Sometimes message notifications are received with some delay.
It is best suited in all sorts of organization, small or big, it well suited in all firms. Its best use is that it can be used to form a group for communicating with our colleagues while working on a common project. It also can be used as a reminder for our important stuff.
Read Divesh Kumar's full review
Tom Laughlin | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 25, 2020

How our remote offices use Slack to remain connected

We use Slack as our primary inter team communication tool. We have integrated a number of the platforms that easily work within the tool as well as the in-platform call feature. We have created channels where we can communicate product or department specific information. We have a variety of social channels as well where we can share music, choices and lately, photos and ideas on how we are coping with the work from home status. My favorite feature is the ability to easily search issues or items. Other similar tools don't have such robust features like this so it helps me quickly see if my issue has come up.
  • Channels (specific groups)
  • Integration
  • In-platform calls
  • History
  • Customization (some limitations)
We have a remote work environment as well as several international offices. We needed a tool that allowed us to communicate among individuals, teams and different parts of the organizations (Product, Support, etc). By using Slack, we can easily share information, create unique channels to share data and then integrate many other tools that we regularly use. The in platform phone allows us to easily call one another as well.
I don't need to be very technical to use the Slack or to integrate tools into Slack. Adding an app (integration) is seamless and the platform walks me through the process. I can communicate with my colleagues quickly either with chat or by using the call feature to phone them. If I ever have a product question, I can quickly go to one of our product channels and search for related questions or pose a question that our experts monitor. These features have made me more effective in my day and in managing my customer base.
Read Tom Laughlin's full review
JaCoby Marston, CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

Lightning Fast Communicating

I love using Slack. It is by far the best communication system out on the market for businesses to use. I have been using Slack for over a year and I love how easy it is to create group chats and individual chats. I am able to connect with fellow employees with ease. It is super easy to share files and links with co-workers. Another cool thing is if another company has Slack, you can connect with them which is super nice because you can have a live chat with any user of Slack. Slack is my go-to for communicating with co-workers because it allows me to get almost instant answers.
  • Easy to communicate with fellow co-workers
  • Ability to communicate with other companies that have Slack
  • Slack downtime is very rare, if any.
  • It gets very expensive if you have a huge company
  • Unable to unread messages to remind me to read again
Slack has been built to work on your web browser, as an app on your computer, and an app on your smartphone. Slack has spent the money to make sure that their program rarely has downtime. I love how easy it is to communicate with my co-workers on Slack. It is easier than sending an email to a co-worker. Slacks improves efficiency in the company because employees are able to communicate with each other with ease especially if the company has multiple locations across the country or across the world. Slack will even let you know what time it is for the recipient you are sending the message to which is great if you have overseas employees.
Slack has built a product that has rare downtime which means that the company is investing the time and money to constantly have a well-running product. I have never had the need to reach out to Slack for support help, but I have read articles about how great their support is and how they care about their users.
Read JaCoby Marston, CPA's full review
Logan Turner | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 10, 2020

Positive Slack Review

We use Slack for all communications within our company. We communicate via direct messages or via specific channels related to departments, tasks, customers, marketing, news stations or general communication. It allows us to keep track of all things related and refer to any conversations that we had in the past.
  • Communication.
  • Organization.
  • Notifications.
  • Giphy.
Slack is very easy to use and can be very effective. I enjoy speaking through gifs, so the Giphy option is very friendly and always adds some fun to my communication. I am able to communicate with all members of my team, regardless of where they are in the US.
I have not had a problem with Slack to date. It has always worked for me and allows me to communicate with all members of my team regardless of if they are in the office or not. I am able to search for all conversations and refer to anything previously mentioned. Gifs are awesome too.
Read Logan Turner's full review
Mary Vasquez | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 14, 2020

Slack is a very good tool for maintaining communication between departments and managers in any company.

Slack has been used in my company as a communication tool between departments and co-workers in order to maintain a tight-knit community and for everyone to be clear about their activities and roles within the organization as such. With Slack we have addressed the main problem in any IT company: effective and proactive communication. Like other tools that do the same job, Slack brings together all the chat options on demand so that both users and managers can have the ability to communicate without any major problems.
  • Enables effective and proactive communication between departments and managers in the organization.
  • Brings a great benefit to projects that your company is currently working on, organizing all the medium to long term objectives
  • Slack is a very easy-to-use platform and intuitive for first-time users.
  • Slack's technical support needs to improve its response times, sometimes taking longer than usual, making it unreliable software.
  • Slack performance is sometimes affected by saturation effects on the company's server, making the whole process look a little slow.
  • I would like to see more features in Slack such as: implementing the ability to make video calls without the need for other external software.
Slack is very good at creating communities and establishing links with departments of any organization, which makes this tool a fundamental pillar in terms of communication. However, Slack cannot be relied upon to implement action plans in private conversations due to the minimalist and unconventional nature of its chat tools.
Slack's technical support needs to improve a lot in terms of customer service, sometimes they treat customers badly, and many times we prefer to call support in English. They are friendlier and empathic in that sense. Also, they need to improve their response times. When you send them a ticket, they take up to 7 days and their answers are not very clear and offer a vague idea of what you can do to solve any problem you have.
Read Mary Vasquez's full review
Simisara Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 18, 2020

Good communication platform for business needs

Slack is used as an external communication channel with our stakeholders which are based in a different time-zone. The platform is used specifically for a project. The tool makes file sharing as well as holding impromptu meetings easily. An added advantage is that groups can be created for specific needs with desired team members. The channel saves all chat records and has an inbuilt thread feature for all chats which makes it easier to track conversations.
  • Provision to create chat threads.
  • Saves chat history as per the pricing plan.
  • Provision to create channels and add guest members to specific channels.
  • Provision to add external members.
  • Call option which has good voice clarity.
  • All files shared to cumulate on a central repo could have been easy especially for admins.
Slack is well suited wherein there is an organizational restriction to communicate with external stakeholders.
Read Simisara Johnson's full review
Victoria Loza | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

Slack for professional mobile communication

Slack is perfect for communication between large organizations and within different departments. I like how you can send announcements to entire departments or to individual workers.
  • Slack offers notification features for different departments.
  • Slack allows one to send private messages to administrators.
  • Slack allows one to send group messages.
  • Slack could allow for a video chat feature.
  • It needs to feature more emojis and stickers for its messages.
  • It also needs a voice messaging feature like Whatsapp.
Slack is well suited as a platform for professional announcements to large groups. It is not well suited for personal video chatting.
Support is good when needed, but I haven't needed it much. It is perfect for business but lacks a video chat feature.
Read Victoria Loza's full review
Marco Carnevali | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 21, 2020

Slack Review from a Product Manager

We use Slack for the whole company: we divided each department by Slack channels. We use it daily in order to connect every office [that are in different time zones.
  • Integration with third-party apps
  • Good time zone support
  • Slack Calls
  • Slack Price
Slack is the best communication system if you have offices all around the world and if you use software like Google Suite, Salesforce etc. I don't think it's appropriate for really small companies with less than 5 people.
I have never used Slack support; it's always worked 100%.
Read Marco Carnevali's full review
Srinivasa Rao Boddeti | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2020

Excellent Collaboration and Integration Tool

I am using slack in my current company and [used it at my] previous company for 3 years. It has a rich set of options, we can integrate [it with] our build tools. Some of my favorite [features] include integration with SumoLogs and alerting if there are exceptions, group chatting with the concerned department, and creating channels for groups. We can't run our regular job without Slack. I am using Slack mostly for 40% of my work. I hardly use email after using Slack.
  • Integration with other systems like Sumo Logic, GitHub
  • Group chatting and screen sharing
  • Ability to dynamically add other people to a group channel
It is a really good tool if a team is working remotely and needs to work collaboratively. It is excellent with integration to Jira and Sumo.
Read Srinivasa Rao Boddeti's full review
June 12, 2020

Bringing a more social touch to everyday business

We use Slack across the entire organization, within all departments. We were a very distributed team where collaboration with people around the world was a regular occurrence. A tool like Slack simplified communication within individual teams, but also allowed for easy communication across teams where, for instance, a customer support representative could contact an engineering team member to get some help or explanations. Slack was also integrated with a few other systems that allowed the centralized broadcast of information, such as tweets mentioning our products or the release of new software builds, where anyone who is interested could consume it.
  • Provides great flexibility to structure your conversations and the information within (channels, 1 on 1, groups, threads). Being able to structure conversations makes it easier to find relevant information later and can allow the splitting of the casual and important.
  • Ease of use. Slack is easy to get into and use while still offering many advanced options for those curious and adventurous enough to use them.
  • Great potential for integration. Slack has many apps and integrations that allow easy access to other systems or to quickly share information across systems. By connecting multiple systems you can access a lot of data from a single place which can save time.
  • The search feature could really be improved. It is quite difficult to find something specific with the search function as no matter the parameters and filters that you set, it seems to never return what you are looking for.
  • The UI could use some help. The basics are there and easy to use, but Slack offers a ton of ways to customize the experience and this causes the setting screen to be a huge convoluted mess, but also switches and options can be found in numerous places. This makes it quite difficult when you are trying to find a specific option or need to know if it even exists.
  • The Android mobile app (can't speak for iOS) can be buggy at times. Navigation sometimes doesn't work as expected and the read/unread status on the contact list can be erroneous. I mostly use it for after hours messaging so it's very light use and therefore not a big issue, but it could be annoying to a mobile-only workforce.
Slack is a great tool to facilitate communication in large and small enterprises alike. Having the ability to send quick messages to colleagues around the world without the formality of an email makes communication more efficient. The emojis and gifs also bring a bit of whimsy into the office which in turns makes for a more comfortable office atmosphere. For a remote workforce, this tool makes staying in touch and communicating much easier while providing a helpful social aspect, after all there is no water cooler to gather around. For smaller businesses and non-distributed teams, it is still a valuable tool to keep track of and share information but definitely not a necessity.
There is a lot of online documentation available and it is quite easy to open a ticket and get a fairly rapid response. Some more in-product help options would make it easier for the less technically inclined folks to find answers to their questions more quickly though. Being an end user, I can't speak to the quality of the support given when reaching out directly to the Account Manager.
June 25, 2020

Looking for a great option for chatting with your team?

At this time Slack is being used within our department. Since Covid-19's changes, we have been working remotely for the last 3 months and Slack has helped us stay connected throughout the day. It's easier to quickly get a question out to the team and discuss in real time, rather than awaiting emails or getting everyone on a different platform. We love it!
  • Easy to use.
  • Free.
  • Great for large groups.
  • Not the prettiest app to look at, looks a bit old school.
  • Inability to block users.
I believe Slack is a great alternative to group chatting with co-workers in different departments. It's free to use, and easy to navigate. You can have multiple groupings which is great!
I have not had the need for support from Slack, which in a sense shows their support on the back and has been seamless.
May 21, 2020

Slack... One-stop solution for business communication

Slack is used by one business unit in our organisation. That business unit is responsible for providing engineering services to different clients. Slack is used for internal communication in our project. Slack provides some great features like private and public channels, where team members can communicate. We can say that Slack provides all required features to avoid communication gap between team members.
  • Private and public channels, direct message.
  • We can integrate few useful apps like Polly, Outlook Calendar, etc.
  • We can pin important messages in channels.
  • We can star the important message in direct message chats.
  • We can send piece of code in well formatted manner.
  • We can not share message to public channel from direct messages.
  • Some UI improvements are required, the old UI was great but the new version which was updated recently needs some UI improvements.
  • In text snippet, auto suggestion can be introduced for popular programming language.
Slack is really helpful when we need to discuss anything with team members. We can ping them or can Audio/Video call as well. This provides screen sharing feature as well. In channels we can tag right person for any relevant task, I personally like that feature. But still some improvements are required like we cannot schedule future calls here although we can integrate Outlook calendar plugin, the second one is, in screen sharing we cannot pass controls access to other person like Teams or GoToMeeting.
Their documentation is good. We can easily learn about any newly launched feature using that. In past, I went through the documentation to integrate Slack with few monitoring application like AppOptics and documentation was well described to easily set up the things.
April 15, 2020

Slack is a solid group-communication platform. Clean, easy, intuitive. Offers a rich feature set and integrations.

Slack is used across our whole organisation, both company-wide and intra-departmentally. We not only use it for communications, but also for a variety of other use cases such as field info sharing (while mobile), polling, project collaborations, data input, news and info distribution, among others. We've found that some of the use cases we used email for has shifted to Slack as well.
  • Clean, intuitive UI.
  • Easy, custom functionality development.
  • Notifications can be overwhelming at times. It would be great to have a smarter way of filtering.
  • Channels may get unwieldy. Better ability to prioritize would be helpful.
Slack is fantastic for real-time info sharing, wide dissemination, and soliciting fast responses. It is very easy to create channels and groups, enabling a user to route info effectively or communicate in a targeted fashion; it is also seamless to create side channels. Slack is great at integrating various media forms brilliantly in a clean UX.

It is not as great as a structure, prioritization, tasks, workflow, etc. It is also not easy to categorize various topics in a channel for easy reference and retrieval.
We've found them responsive when we needed them. But in fact, the online info and the usability of the product were straightforward and sufficient. We haven't had to test support for anything critical (yet). In general, we are satisfied to-date.
February 16, 2020

Slack, the best 4 in 1 solution

Slack is the central communication tool for our organization. When I started, we were only really using Slack for instant messaging. That has grown over the years to the point where we use Slack for internal calls, messaging, company wide and private communication channels, online meetings, and inter-office calling. I really like the evolution of the solution and it has replaced multiple tools that we'd otherwise use in our organization (like email, gotomeeting) into one single solution. I really like the mobile app and the experience between devices is seamless. My only nit-pick is that sometimes searching within the app can be a little wonky. Finally, the api for the system is nice and allows for nice integrations with our internal project management tool. Their app store is also comprehensive and the salesforce integration is useful.
  • instant messgaing
  • video calls
  • integrations-ability to create help tickets with commands within Slack
  • the internal searching mechanism could be better
  • sometimes run into bandwidth issues on calls
  • have had some issues picking up the microphone on my headset sometimes
It is an excellent communication tool. It is especially useful for a remote office. The screen sharing is very well implemented. VOIP quality is also good. In many ways it will replace long email strings and dedicated voip systems for inter office communication. The app marketplace also allows for a variety of plugins that can connect slack to tools like the g-suite and salesforce.
I haven't personally had to rely on Slack's support, but from what colleagues have told me there are no issues with contact Slack's support team in a quick and comprehensive manner. .
March 17, 2020

Slack

We use Slack as a whole to communicate service issues throughout the world and to track our Jira Service Desk tickets.
  • Through Slack you can collaborate within your terms very well.
  • You can use it to video call.
  • I do not think there are many cons to the product.
Slack is perfect for the IT industry due to the need to be able to communicate and video call with people around the world.
I am indifferent because I haven’t had to use Slack support for any reason.
Cat Nguyen | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 03, 2019

Slack Supports Thriving Culture of a Global 1300+ Employee Company!

Slack is currently being used by our entire organization. There's a small number of employees at headquarters in New York City, but the rest of the company is remote, spread all over the U.S. and the globe (UK, Germany, India, Japan, Korea). My specific department consists of 1200+ employees, and Slack is THE way that we communicate. It's a seamless, vital part of our work lives. Truthfully, we wouldn't be able to function as a company without it!
  • Flexibility around notifications. Being part of a 1200+ employee company & a member of multiple channels & groups in Slack, it's fantastic being able to control that notifications I WANT to receive (and which I'd like to "mute," another helpful function).
  • The ability to create separate "channels" & groups. This has been key in making sure communication is organized & categorized in a way that makes sense. For example, we have separate channels for announcements, tech-related troubleshooting, different departments, etc.
  • Ease of use & just plain fun. With emojis, "reactions," and gifs built in, communicating can be quite fun :)
  • A channel initially created as private can't be changed to public. (However, the reverse is possible -- public channels can be made private.)
  • The flip side of all the features, functionality, and "fun" aspects of Slack is that it can be a distraction from real work if you're not careful (there IS such a thing as falling into the Slack rabbit hole!).
When there's a team that spans time zones and continents, Slack is the perfect tool for communication & collaboration. It houses a workplace directory, so any employee can be searched for by name. Sending a direct message to any individual in the company is as simple as finding their name, then typing a message & hitting send! Essentially, it's a hub for all communication -- individual, team, and company-wide announcements can be quickly & easily disseminated using Slack.
I haven't yet needed to reach out for additional support. Perhaps this speaks to its straightforwardness & ease of use!
Read Cat Nguyen's full review
Benjamin Plotkin | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 28, 2019

On the Slack Line: a Fun and Balanced Communications Tool

Our department is among a handful that uses Slack as their primary work messaging tool (the organization default is Microsoft Teams). Slack is being used to support direct messaging and group chats between on-premises and remote employees, as well as service providers and vendors. It provides a system-agnostic communications workspace that can easily be ramified into various private and public channels as changing needs demand.
  • Slack is a solid chat tool that works across a variety of platforms, with a very low barrier for entry: new users can be invited via email, and can use web-based, desktop, or mobile versions of the application.
  • Slack has really captured the zeitgeist of digital culture, including strong support for customizing look and feel (including custom emojis), and a plethora of integrations with popular web-based tools, including Pivotal Tracker and GitHub on the productive side, and Giphy.com on the fun side.
  • Slack continues to refine and improve their product, with new features being rolled out just about every month.
  • Slack offers a great value in their free version of the app, with most of the tool's functionality available for no cost.
  • While their focus on continuous product improvement is admirable, the pace of change sometimes introduces bugs to existing features.
  • Some workspace administrative options require logging in to the workspace website -- it would be great to be able to manage all configuration directly from the desktop app.
  • Allow me to be petty for a moment: Why can't we have bigger emojis?
Slack is great when you have a working group that is spread out over various locations; beyond facilitating productive chat sessions -- as well as video conferencing and screen sharing (depending on your pricing tier) -- Slack's fun features can really help to build team camaraderie.

Slack may not be a great fit for working groups that prefer face-to-face communications, or those teams that are already well-acclimated to another group chat tool.
Whenever I've had to troubleshoot an issue with Slack (which, to be honest, has not happened very often), their online documentation has been easy to locate, easy to understand, and effective in resolving my issue. Slack's ever-growing popularity also means that there's a large community of practice out there that can be depended upon.
Read Benjamin Plotkin's full review
Raúl Galera Domínguez | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 17, 2019

(Probably) The best chat tool for tech companies

Our entire company is on Slack, which is great since we have employees located in different countries. I particularly like the sense of transparency it gives to our organization: We have a lot of different channels for business areas (marketing, engineering, etc) but they're all open for other employees to join and see what's being discussed.
  • Categorize discussions by channels.
  • Fast, powerful mobile app.
  • Almost all-in-one communication tool (chat and audio/video).
  • Integrations with Google Drive, Trello, etc.
  • Ability to share my screen on the web version.
  • For big organizations, (probably +150-200 employees) it might add too much noise if not managed correctly.
Scenarios where Slack is well suited:
  • Distributed teams and/or companies with multiple offices.
  • Startups: Helps new employees get a quick view of the "bigger picture" -- everything that's happening inside the organization.
  • Teams that need real-time communication to run their operations (eg. customer support, engineering).

Scenarios where Slack is less appropriate:
  • Large organizations with several hundred employees if not managed correctly -- it can add too much noise/distractions.
We haven't really had any issues with Slack -- so that's part of their support: Having a product that works perfectly out of the box and doesn't need additional setup/support.
Read Raúl Galera Domínguez's full review
Harshit Bhattaram | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 31, 2019

Slack! All amazing items in a single package.

At our current workplace, we are connected to two teams via Slack. One is our own and the other is of a Fortune 50 company which also uses Slack. So Slack as a whole is used by the entire company and also customers/clients we interact with on a day-to-day basis. The primary business need being staying connected with colleagues and also collaborating on work is what makes Slack great software to use on a daily basis.
  • Multiple channels/groups for a specific purpose.
  • Excellent functionality for code snippets.
  • When pasting a large code snippet it hangs and has to be force closed.
  • Video calls can be improved by giving more functionality like pass control and so on.
The ability to collaborate between multiple teams including customers and clients is a superb pro feature when dealing with Slack and it's a scenario where we find Slack to be useful.
However when it comes handling a video call where multiple people speak and they are sharing the video and also want to share the screen or maybe request access to control the desktop, Slack needs improvement and it's less apt.
We've been as an organisation thoroughly impressed at the way Slack has helped us become more productive and made a positive impact in the way we get things done. The support team has also helped us in solving any issues we faced during installation and also an upgrade to meet more requirements as we grow and become a bigger organisation.
Read Harshit Bhattaram's full review
Gabriela Band | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2019

A great tool for any business

Slack is used across all of the organization to help us communicate, collaborate, align and focus. I think it is the killer productivity app that helps us be more efficient on our day-to-day. The multiplicity of integrations is what generates the most value. The possibility of creating channels and threads is very helpful.
  • Works on any device.
  • Integrated with a lot of PM tools.
  • Reliability issues. Sometimes the app stops working.
  • Notifications are very annoying.
I think Slack is a really good product for organizations of all sizes. It works for startups and big corporations alike. Since it can be expensive according to the plan you choose, it is really important to make sure you take full advantage of its functionalities and not use it only as a chat software, since there are cheaper alternatives for that.
I never encountered any issues working with them. Most of the information you need can be found online without the need to contact support.
Read Gabriela Band's full review
James Buchholz | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 12, 2019

Slack is so important to the way we communicate

It is used in 2 of our 3 offices. It addresses 90% of our communication needs. We don't even remember what we did before Slack to communicate.
  • It's PERFECT for getting quick answers and having quick light conversations with coworkers.
  • Downtime is very rare.
  • It integrates well with other programs and has great little add-ons.
  • It can become a crutch when people become so accustomed to instant answers.
  • Can hinder productivity with add-ons and apps like Giphy.
Great for any business that needs more immediate communication than email provides. Well suited for business where workers don't work in the same room, e.g. remote workers. Slack can make it almost as good as if everyone were in the same room.

It's less well suited for serious conversations and again can hinder productivity if people start losing their focus on their project just to answer every little message.
We've never had to contact support for Slack, which in my opinion, speaks to the quality of the product.
Read James Buchholz's full review
Lokesh Meena | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 12, 2019

More than a mobile messaging app, it's Slack...

Being honest, we are not on Slack now. We left it a few months back and now our whole organisation uses Workplace. But when we were using Slack for our organisation, we used it for internal communication and live chat in various departments and to share project updates or documents which needed to be shared quickly. It is still very easy to use but doesn't fully meet all of our requirements.
  • It has a nice UI and is easy to set up and use. New team members could easily get updated from a particular channel as well.
  • It has both mobile and web-based versions available allowing us to use it on the go.
  • It is free for most of the cases and allowed us to create different channels or groups for different departments, teams or projects.
  • It offers easy integrations with most used services like Google Drive, GitHub etc.
  • Its paid plan is very expensive for startups and businesses having low revenue/big teams.
  • For large organisations too, it creates chaos because large numbers of users generate large data. Slack does not support much management of this.
  • Sometimes it looks like we are using a messaging app instead of a professional service, as it has all the features of instant messaging apps, like emojis, etc. Professionally sometimes, these don't seem to be useful.
Slack is very well suited if you have employees situated at different places or offices, especially if some employees have to go out for field work. It's very easy to update the task or work done remotely using Slack's mobile app. Slack doesn't seems to be useful in cases of full professional needs, as it lags in many ways in comparison to its competitors.
Slack has a nice knowledge base and documentation. Slack is a well known and widely used tool, so we could easily find support articles over the internet. And most of the time, support wasn't needed, as its UI explains most of the things in advance. There are so many blogs about it too.
Read Lokesh Meena's full review
Jason Smith, DPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 08, 2019

Second go around with Slack not so good, why do we use this thing?

Well we are on our second go around with Slack. We implemented it many years ago but it fizzled out. About a year ago we resurrected the product. I just don't know about how it fits in to our enterprise. There are some areas that use it a lot to keep track of say network or SaaS issues which are timely in nature. However there are others who just don't need to use it for much. I would say there is about 20% of our division that uses it actively. Unfortunately, much of the other 80% sees it as an annoyance. Furthermore, some of the 20% that uses it seems to think that they need to communicate what they say on Slack in a duplicate manner via email or vice versa.
  • It duplicates other services that we already have really well. For example, Yammer, our LMS, and other general communications tools.
  • I like that you can add pictures.
  • It is sort of retro, like ICQ.
  • Totally annoying and disruptive to getting anything done.
  • Seems to go down the most out of all our cloud services, and we got a bunch of them.
  • The UI is just bad. Not intuitive.
  • Not a good value.
Slack would be well suited if you had a development team in Mongolia and another one in France and they did not have to talk to each other a whole lot. Slack would be a good record of fact on what might be going on between the groups. It can keep track of things, almost like a log of human interactions.
Well there is not much to support so what else would you give it? Actually, I think that Slack deserves the above rating because it seems to go down and become inaccessible for a variety of reasons. It always seems that these outages are not explained and that kind of leaves you wondering.
Read Jason Smith, DPA's full review
Roberto Antonio Costinho Sosa | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 07, 2019

Slack is much more than an instant messaging application

We are currently using Slack in all work teams in the digital area. Each sector has its own Slack group and they are not interconnected. The marketing, web development, Windows application programming, and graphic design groups have their separate areas. Integration with external software tools is great. It has a very varied catalog and each digital production department makes use of the extra applications that are most convenient for it. There is also a space in Slack for the entire organization, which has a channel of official communications. It is very easy to send messages and receive them. This is where we resolve general issues and receive instructions regarding the company's management.
  • Perfect integration with external applications. The catalog is huge and responds before many needs of the digital work world.
  • Instant messaging is on another level because of all the features in the chats. The threads are great to continue a conversation.
  • Segment communication with channels that can be created at will. It's great to talk about various topics without mixing them.
  • The Search Bar is great: search even within the content of the documents shared.
  • At first, it is difficult to use Slack. It has many functions that are not intuitive to learn to use.
  • The browser application sometimes does not send notifications on time.
  • The license is expensive.
Slack maintains team communication focused on a single space. Productivity is greatly improved because integrated applications are kept in one place, which avoids distractions. It is great for digital work environments.
For occasions when you have to talk to staff who do not work in the digital areas, it is equally helpful. With the integrated Dropbox functionalities, you can share files referring to the important documentation of everyone in the company. It is not appropriate to use Slack without making the purchase of the paid license. The definitive limitation is that the free version has a limit of messages that can be saved, which includes the files that are sent.
Slack's support is very good, he has answered every question made in detail. He also suggested the implementation of some useful applications for the web development team. The attention was personalized and constant.
Read Roberto Antonio Costinho Sosa's full review
Amy Sternin | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 10, 2019

Slack- a great tool and embraced by our group!

Our department of IT project development uses Slack for communication between team members. This enables us to work remotely and more efficiently, and also allows us to target communication easily to individuals as well as custom groups. The whole organization has not started using this product at this time. But every member of the IT project development team is actively using this to discuss and share project issues and concerns as well as for department announcements, and various social uses- such as lunch planning, sharing various interests and items on the internet.
  • Sending notifications when messages are sent to you.
  • Ease of user interface.
  • Ability to add and communicate to people outside of your organization.
  • Ability to share images and documents.
  • We are happy with all the funcationality in Slack.
It is especially valuable in helping with communcation between remote team members. The ability to call and share screens is really helpful, and has become our go to method to communicate, eliminating the need for skype and our various conference call systems available in our company. Using Slack for calls and meetings is now extensive within our group, and is done many, many times per day. it is easy to add people and to share and give sharing capabilities to other team members.
Read Amy Sternin's full review

Task Management (95)
Gantt Charts (35)
Scheduling (70)
Workflow Automation (81)
Mobile Access (169)
Search (168)
Visual planning tools (48)
Chat (182)
9.7
Notifications (180)
Discussions (176)
Surveys (92)
Internal knowledgebase (94)
Integrates with GoToMeeting (48)
Integrates with Gmail and Google Hangouts (85)
Integrates with Outlook (54)
Versioning (74)
Video files (140)
Audio files (135)
Document collaboration (114)
Access control (100)
Advanced security features (85)
Integrates with Google Drive (105)
Device sync (109)

About Slack

Slack is a group messaging or team collaboration app that aims to simplify communication for businesses. Features include open discussions, private groups, and direct messaging, as well as deep contextual search and message archiving, and file sharing. Slack integrates with a number of other tools, such as MailChimp, Dropbox, and Google Drive.

The product is free to use, and also has paid plans with more features and greater controls.

The company has raised $340M in funding and boasts 800k users.