Score 8.9 out of 10

What is WP Engine?

WP Engine is a website hosting service built to host WordPress for companies of any size, with features such as daily backups, firewall,SSL, and proprietary caching technology.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of WP Engine, and make your voice heard!

Startup

Growth

Scale

*Per Month

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $29 per month

What is WP Engine?

WP Engine is a fully-managed WordPress hosted solution. One of its main features is the capability to create a staging site. It also offers curated recommendations for plugins and themes. Hosting through WP Engine delivers Wordpress along with extra security features and curation of plugins and themes for help with site optimization; also EverCache Technology, the WP Engine custom-built caching technology to speed the delivery of content.

Pricing for hosting starts at $29 for a personal site (10GB of local storage, unlimited data transfer with up to 25k visits per month, $99 for Professional hosting services (10 WP installs, 10k visits per month, and 20GB of local storage), $249 for Business hosting (25WP installs, 400k visits per month and 30GB of storage), and the custom-tailored Enterprise level. A 60-day trial is available, during which a refund may be requested if the user is not happy with the hosting service.

WP Engine Video

Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIMFnHmRB5M to watch WP Engine video.

WP Engine Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

WP Engine starts at $29.

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.7.

The most common users of WP Engine are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

WP Engine provides premium WordPress hosting. I haven't dealt with other dedicated WordPress hosts, except for WordPress.com by Automattic, which is good, but WP Engine is professional-grade, dedicated WP hosting. I have found that generally, non-dedicated WordPress hosting either doesn't give you the same degree of control or doesn't give you the security and reliability of WP Engine. Of course, proprietary site builders give you reliability but little control. WP Engine is a niche product, but it fills that niche very well.
Kelly Michael Skelton | TrustRadius Reviewer
WP Engine and Go Daddy both had great support offerings and were both very competent when it comes to hosting websites. We chose WP Engine because their platform was just much easier to use and our marketing personnel could perform the majority of the essential daily tasks that we encountered.
DreamHost is good as well, but overall I really enjoy the experience I have had working with WP Engine with all of our clients. The support is pretty good with all three that I mentioned, but WP Engine is superb. WP Engine is really great and the interface is super easy to navigate.
Thomas Petty | TrustRadius Reviewer
There's absolutely no comparison between the other companies and WP Engine. WP Engine is far superior in all ways. Every time I do a security audit on a potential client's website, I can tell right away that it's on an overloaded server at one of the competitors. The first thing I recommend is to switch hosting companies to WP Engine.
We were originally on GoDaddy until we got a malware attack on their shared server. Cleaning up an infected server is almost impossible, so we decided to jump ship and set up our sites on Site Ground. We needed faster hosting anyway. Site Ground was decent, but their customer service was very slow and their control panel was very difficult to use. WP Engine had a migration tool that allowed us to move all our sites over much easier than it was to move to Site Ground. The WP Engine User Portal is so much easier to use than Site Ground, and the WP Engine customer service is just amazing.
While we still use GoDaddy for some services, WP Engine definitely has been a major upgrade for our WordPress hosting. In addition to faster load speeds, WP Engine has been more adept at allowing us to manage a high number of websites without straining the system. We have never used Network Solutions for our own hosting needs, but when we do interact with them on behalf of our clients, their systems always seem to be clunky and hard to use, and they often overcharge customers by selling them products they do not need.
Josh Peichoto | TrustRadius Reviewer
Other hosting companies are garbage by comparison. Budget, shared environment hosts are clunky, slow, and not as secure. Larger hosts generally require someone with a decent amount of knowledge with configuring and maintaining the hosting environment. WPEngine fills the void in between. It allows creatives and developers to do their thing without getting caught up in the technical details of server management.
Quentin Aisbett | TrustRadius Reviewer
We've evaluated many hosting providers over the years and in fairness, we've now been with WP Engine for 5 years so I'd imagine each of them has improved over that time also. However, WP Engine's support team, product development, and user experience is better than any other hosting provider I've seen.
I used a solution from Rackspace years ago which was just their dedicated server product (not available for selection above so had to choose managed hosting). They pretty much give you shell access to a box and then it's up to you to manage everything yourself. This is obviously different from a managed hosting provider like WP Engine.
I used to work for GoDaddy when they released their own WordPress hosting. It's not bad, but not nearly as well developed. They have too many irons in the fire if you ask me, and WP Engine is so laser-focused on WP hosting. A2 hosting is a great budget solution that is also based in the USA, but their support is nowhere near the level that WP Engine is at. I use A2 for some of my personal sites and clients, but for those that understand their budget better, WP Engine is the best overall balance of features vs. cost.
Jeremy Estes | TrustRadius Reviewer
WP Engine blows all these hosting companies out of the water when it comes to WordPress hosting. I ultimately moved to WP Engine when my to WordPress sites continued to go down, performed slowly, or got to the point where they were impossible to manage. Now, if I see someone using WordPress and they DON'T have WP Engine, I recommend the switch.
Alec Dibble | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used WP Engine for several years and love the service. Their technology, security, speed & support are unparralleled. I've had to file several support tickets & the experience was really good every time. Being a consultant & tech integrator, I often have to deal with B2B tool support services, and WP Engines is easily my favorite to deal with.

I would say that a great second choice is Flywheel. They have done an excellent job at creating a local development tool & their pricing is fair. I tend to still stay with WP Engine because of my previous experience & their quality support.
Collin Berg | TrustRadius Reviewer
WP Engine has a no worry solution for automatic backups and free SSL is great for $30/month. They scale to our needs as well so we never have to worry about being throttled if we get a lot of press. and at $1 for every 1000 visitors over your quote, hits one of the cheapest solutions. As far as WP dedicated hosting goes, their support is far superior to GoDaddy's WP support and hosting servers.
I have worked with other top web hosting companies and none offer the simplicity of WP Engine. WP Engine is more expensive, however we deem the cost justifiable for the features that are included.

Other web hosts are simple boxes that give you more control, however do not offer some of the same perks, or the support isn't as quick and eager to resolve problems.
Will Paccione | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used to use HostGator in the past. We feel they've gone downhill in the past few years. When other hosting companies offer free SSL certificates through the trusted "Lets Encrypt", HostGator still down't offer it (last I checked). Support takes a long time. Ability to use a temp URL with the "~username" was removed for security reasons. I understand the decision, but got no warning. It really put my company in a terrible bind.

SiteGround is who we send people to when they don't go with WPEngine. They're a really good hosting company and beneficial to the new business owner that is trying to save some money. Currently, I'd choose SiteGround over HostGator all day.
Rachel Maner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Prior to WP Engine, we had an off-site consultant hosting our site. It was terribly inconvenient and counterproductive. We selected WP Engine because the platform is intuitive and the price is very reasonable. I've never used another hosting service, so I can't speak to how they stack up against the competition.
Eric Mann | TrustRadius Reviewer
WP Engine was cheaper than the alternatives, and our site was already present on their servers. It wasn't so much a choice of WP Engine over another hosting company as it was a choice to stay with WP Engine rather than invest the time required to switch to another provider. All three hosts have quality offerings, and are well worth their disparate prices. That being said, choosing Pantheon or Liquid Web over WP Engine would likely have given us more control over the environment, but would have cost us more financially over time.
I don't know if I can repeat myself another time, but I suppose I will. WP Engine is a WordPress first hosting solution. If you are looking to build a simple or complex WordPress website, you should use this solution. Whether you're a company that builds WordPress websites or just looking for a hosting solution for a personal website, WPEngine is easiest and best.
Tim Colling | TrustRadius Reviewer
There's no comparision in terms of reliability, uptime, convenience, flexibility, pricing, and especially, tech support. WPEngine support is just simply superb. GoDaddy support cannot come close, nor can the others. inMotion Hosting has been very unreliable of late. So was A2 the last time I tried to use them - in fact, they were horrible to work with and very, very unreliable.
Robert Allen | TrustRadius Reviewer
By usability, DigitalOcean wins. I love DigitalOcean for a lot of reasons, but their setup process is clunky and their feature set is fairly limited. Their setup requires technical competence but after that they are a breeze to work with. For what they do, DigitalOcean is perfect. WP Engine is in a different class. Their products are aimed at somewhere between novices and experts depending on the specific feature, their UI is clunky and clearly designed by engineers, but their customer support is excellent. This is an odd comparison given the distinct feature sets.

By features, WP Engine wins. There is no comparison. DigitalOcean is a simple server with simple functionality and stellar hardware. WP Engine is a complex product with a ton of bells and whistles, though they run on dated hardware (shared HDD instead of VPS SSD). DigitalOcean has virtually no features, WP Engine has all of them.