Appian Direct Route
Updated December 29, 2016
Appian Direct Route
Score 8 out of 10
Direct Route 22.214.171.124
Overall Satisfaction with Appian DirectRoute
Appian (Direct Route) is used by our centralized routing team, servicing 40 Distribution Centers across the country. It assists in building a route plan for a private fleet of over 800 tractors. Aside from generating a delivery plan, it houses all critical customer data (lat/long, receiving hours, etc.). The software can be used to optmize routes, to reduce miles / routes and generate cost savings, and also for modeling purpose in project analysis.
- Software integrates well with other on-board monitoring devices (plan transfer to truck/driver)
- Product does a great job of assisting in off-router stop placement to assure the impact to miles is minimal.
- Direct Route tool is essential in project analysis to determine impact to miles/hours for proposed changes.
- Transit times are sometimes inaccurate/inconsistent.
- Software can slow down as a route file undergoes many changes.
- Large quantity of input files can sometimes create confusion/inconsistency when route files are shared by multiple users.
- Improved service to customers by being more aware of ETA's and how they relate to each store's receiving hours.
- Reduced transportation costs in dynamic environment where routes are optimized daily using Direct Route.
- Better customer service to field by generating e-mail notifications for following day's ETA's, along with notifications when trips are behind schedule.
Direct Route software if best suited in a dynamic routing environment with milkrun/peddle routes. If a company is running static routes with one or two stops, the tool most likely will have limited impact on cost reduction. However, if a company delivers to many stops and has an opportunity to reroute their network, the tool would most likely reduce miles/routes and generate cost savings.
Using Appian DirectRoute
Appian products have become an instrumental tool within the company, from a daily tactical standpoint building route plans, to a strategic standpoint in assisting with project analysis. Since the tool is able to interface with many different on-board computer vendors, it is something that could be used by the company long term.