Overall Satisfaction with Carbonite
We are a reseller of Carbonite. It is an easy to use a cost-effective product to backup your data. For a user wanting to back up their personal data, it is a great fit. Restoration is straightforward and quick (depending on download speed). We do not recommend this for business-critical data or system state, SQL databases or Exchange.
- Backs up local files to the cloud
- Easy to access/restore files when/if misplaced or deleted
- I do not recommend this for critical business data (only personal use).
- Cloud only backup option could take a VERY long time to restore (depending on your bandwidth).
- Retention in the cloud limited to only 30 days.
We have also used Mozy Pro and Dropbox. They are all pretty similar in functionality/features of backing up data (not system state or databases as I don't think any of the 3 are well suited for that). To me, it comes down to personal preference and choosing a product that is universal for multiple users, for ease of management.
Carbonite is a good solution for a stand-alone PC, a home PC or a laptop that leaves the office and has data on it. Definitely not an enterprise solution, even though they do provide higher-end packages, I would not recommend it to a client. I also question to call this a disaster recovery solution as it's retention is only 30 days.