The Onus on Varonis
March 17, 2017
The Onus on Varonis
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Data Governance Suite
Data Governance suite was bought in for a couple of reasons, firstly to help with the organisation classification project and secondly to control and monitor access to data across the company. In both cases this tool provided a way of viewing what data was out there along with putting some control on who was accessing what and allowing the information owners and approvers to have a realtime view of what they are agreeing to when authorizing user access.
- Ability to structure unstructured data
- Help with data classification projects
- Put access controls around data
- Find out what is happening with your data
- Implementation can be challenging in some areas and can only be executed by the vendor
- Implementation can only be executed by the vendor and additional work can be chargeable
- Licensing can be improved upon
- Agent based so implementation can be longer than expected
- Initial high cost of product suite
- Additional modules have helped with cryptolocker type viruses
- Automation of manual tasks has time savings
- Additional work from vendor encounters additional costs
At the time of our purchase Stealth Bits did not have the same functionality that we initially wanted, so Varonis was the better option and across the available modules again Varonis could cover more future use areas. As of now Stealth Bits has really caught up and as they do not operate an agent logic of data capture can be a lot easier and quicker to install.
Data Governance is well suited to areas where there is a requirement to control user access and privileges to unorganised data, if an organisation is taking on the challenge of a data classification project then this is a great tool for finding out what data is out in the organisation. Some additional modules allow information owners and approvers to authorise user access through a web portal cutting down on a manual process and lets profile administration be auditable.