Demandware is our eCommerce Platform. It is currently being used by the Digital team. One of the best benefits is the time to launch the site to the market: it's quicker than other heavy body platforms such as ATG, IBM Commerce etc.
- Quick implementation
- Reduced cost to implement the full ecomm site
- Easy catalog, price and promo maintenance
- Add on cost for every feature: there is nothing exciting about Demandware other than ease of maintenance once the site is launched. Any added functionality costs more and more.
- Order management: Currently there are no inventory or order management features in Demandware. It relies on feeds coming to it on a periodic basis. It gets tricky when an item is sold on multiple channels and the inventory picture is changed even before the next feed is out to Demandware. These scenarios are very common and result in many more cancellations than usual. Having an Order management (OMS) will help having more control over inventory and orders.
- Multi-channel capability is completely missing.
- Increased employee interest and efficiency due to simple GUI to maintain catalog, inventory, promos etc
- Hybris,Oracle ATG Web Commerce,IBM Sterling Commerce
Selection of Demandware happened prior to I joined the company.
Personally, I am not aware of Demandware's feature roadmap for the next 2-3 years. Bringing this awareness to the industry will help boost confidence.
Its good for retailers who just want to launch a site and be done with that. It becomes harder and expensive when new functionality have to be added.