Giving students the Desire2Learnhttps://www.trustradius.com/learning-management-lmsBrightspaceUnspecified8.3611012014-02-15T23:14:08.015Z
February 15, 2014
Giving students the Desire2Learn
Score 9 out of 101
Desire2Learn is the college's main learning management system. It is used by all departments in the capacity of online, hybrid, and face-to-face learning. D2L is the way that instructors manage their course materials online. They are able to post documents, links, videos, and images. D2L also allows them to retrieve homework assignments, give quizzes that are graded automatically, and facilitate on online virtual classroom through the discussion board. Students can track their grades and attendance in the course as well as connect with their classmates. With tools like Rubrics and Chat Rooms D2L provides a robust online classroom experience.
- Easy to use - It is intuitive to navigate and create new assignments. Easy drag and drop features allow instructors to design their course layout with little training.
- Online Quizzing - There are many built-in features in the quizzing tool that give the instructor control over the management of the quiz. They can assign time/date restrictions, randomization, and auto-grading to their quizzes. The grades can then be populated to the Gradebook automatically.
- Calendar - There seems to be some recurring issues with the Calendar Tool. It is one of the more difficult areas to navigate and manage.
- Increased employee efficiency - Less time grading assignments and quizzes, more time teaching.
- Greater consistency between courses - D2L allowed us to create a basic shell of how all our courses are laid out. There is know no confusion when moving between courses on where to click to find the information the student may be looking for.
Before D2L we had WebCT (Blackboard) implemented at the college. D2L is leaps and bounds ahead of what we could accomplish with WebCt. The design of WebCt was outdated and hard to navigate. There were many inconsistencies between one course to another. There was no testing functionality which was a major selling point.
They are moving to a consistent upgrading process where all new updates will be automatically rolled out. They have been quick to resolve issues when they arise. This company is always adding new features that are requested of their clients. They strive to be the best at what they do and it shows.
Desire2Learn is great for online learning environments. They provide many tools that allow you to successfully manage online course work. There are still many features that we don't utilize to their full potential but are working on implementing more. They have other features that you can purchase to make it an all around perfect solution for your company. They are very flexible and customizable.