Super-intuitive, scalable, and affordable!https://www.trustradius.com/infrastructure-as-a-service-iaasDigitalOceanUnspecified9.1621012019-01-14T19:42:22.872Z
January 14, 2019
Super-intuitive, scalable, and affordable!
Score 9 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with DigitalOcean
We use DigitalOcean for all of our cloud computing needs, including cloud instances, managing DNS records, floating IP address, Kubernetes instances, and load balancers. It is directly utilized mainly with engineers and developers and is used in combination with a selection of other SaaS to complete our development environments and backend. We also self-host some other developer tools and marketing tools on our DigitalOcean servers as well.
- Pricing is very straightforward - DigitalOcean uses a simple monthly pricing model (charged per hour), where pricing for instances is structured in clear increments, $5, $10, $20, $40/month, etc...
- Amazing UI - DigitalOcean has a very clear, intuitive UI. It takes mere seconds to create a cloud instance.
- Super scalable - As long as you're not changing a disk/SSD size, all the components of a cloud instance are editable, and seamlessly integrate with other DigitalOcean products like their DNS records manager, load balancers, and floating IPs.
- There is downtime somewhat more often than competing services - DigitalOcean is getting on top of this, but on average, every couple of months, there tends to be server maintenance that can disturb server function.
- Limited products - DigitalOcean only recently introduced their Kubernetes product, which was offered by cloud computing competitors a long time before.
- Limited regions - DigitalOcean has fewer regions, compared to AWS and Google Cloud Platform, but they are quickly scaling and introducing new data centers.
- No GPUs - DigitalOcean does not offer cloud computing instances that have GPUs.
- Positive - Elastic computer instances make it possible to pay for only for what you need.
- Positive - Competitive pricing - some of the products that DigitalOcean offers are much cheaper than those offered by competitors.
- Negative - Having to go to other cloud computing platforms for more specific, advanced services like Computer Vision optimized services, GPU cloud compute instances, etc...
Amazon has a very complex UI and many products to offer. They haven't polished up their UI and it has a much greater learning curve compared to DigitalOcean. However, Amazon Web Services (AWS) does have more comprehensive cloud computing services, which forces some companies to migrate their backend and other services to AWS as they scale up.
DigitalOcean is wonderful for startups that are looking to quickly create a backend, API, or cloud computing infrastructure. Most of the products that DigitalOcean offers makes it really easy to set this up. For companies that require more complex or advanced cloud computing resources, like Computer Vision, AI, etc... DigitalOcean doesn't offer these specific services, so a different cloud computing service may be better suited for this purpose.