Overall Satisfaction with docStar
I was a former student assistant at the University of Washington, so I am not sure if it was used in the entire organization. However, our department used the system on a consistent basis. We used docStar to save documents and make them easier to access once they had been entered into the database. It helped us organize documents based on their content, through the templates we were able to create. It also made it easier to retrieve documents, because we could organize the title the way we wanted to by use of the templates.
- Templates - By being able to create templates for each document type, it made organizing files much easier. It also made the titles similar in format, which also allows for better organization.
- We were able to scan documents directly into docStar, which helped us eliminate extra steps. For example, if we were missing a page from a document, and we received it at a later time, we could scan just that page into docStar as opposed to scanning the entire document again.
- The functionalities are straight forward, so it is not hard to use the docStar system.
- There are constantly errors that make it difficult to understand the problems. It made our department work with the IT support desk on a consistent basis to get docStar to work.
- When creating templates, it is better to have more settings to limit the entry of the person scanning the document. For example, I had a hard time, when trying to limit people to two letters and five numbers. More functionalities on the back end would be great.
- The search functionality is sometimes not accurate. We would search for a document, and the search result would not show anything. Once we went into a specific folder, we were able to find the document.
For a smaller department, such as ours, docStar was efficient in the way we used it. When docStar went down, we were not heavily reliant on the database, which made it easier for us if we did not get the documents we wanted in a timely manner. For a bigger company and a bigger department, I would assume that docStar would create more problems. With the inaccurate search results, it would make it much more difficult to go to a folder on an individual basis, trying to find these specific documents.