Microsoft's OneNote is a digital note-taking app, supporting photos, annotating, web page clipping, emailing, and synchronizing notes across devices.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/uE/GN/J25AHM6U2XEG.PNGOneNote - Move faster by remembering what's nextOneNote is being used by a mix of people across teams and departments. It's not being used universally by all teams and functions. OneNote is great for making and organizing meeting notes. It also has a nice iOS app, which makes your notes accessible across devices. Lastly, because it's backed by Microsoft, I feel that my information is a lot safer than it might be with a smaller company that doesn't have Microsoft's resources.,It makes it really easy to capture notes in different formats - text, pictures, copy & paste, videos, etc. It makes it really easy to organize notes by using the concept of notebooks - which are thematic ways to organize your notes The mobile app is easy to use and navigate, which means I can always have my notes with me, even if I'm not in front of my computer,OneNote should integrate with meeting management tools (e.g. Zoom) and automatically transcribe meetings and provide all attendees with notes OneNote should integrate with workflow processing tools so that any deliverables or goals coming out of a meeting can be captured and tracked against resources & timelines At a corporate level, OneNote should help companies find which employees are SME's in particular areas by analyzing their data and content,9,OneNote makes me more productive because I'm always able to remember discussion points and next steps for any meeting OneNote makes me less reliant on my laptop, when I'm having an informal coffee meeting, for example, which can be freeing OneNote can sometimes be a little slow to use, which can be frustrating when I'm trying to type fast and make notes,Evernote,SlackWhy OneNote? Because what it cannot do, I can count on maybe 3 fingers.Currently, my team and I use OneNote in the O365 version. We use it so that we can update our product and procedure notes and illustrations in real time. Moreover, when giving customer presentations, I have found that this is more organic and less formal than presenting a Powerpoint deck. It enables much flexibility to show the flow of the recommended solution and allow the customer and I to come closer together in understanding what we are looking to solve. The OneNote search feature enables the 'jumping around' rather than the stilted flipping through slides looking for the right thing.,Tabs-Enabling quick look up even without using the search feature. Also, because of the sub-tabs, items can be updated quickly and neatly. Search-As the content grows, this is without a doubt one of the more used features and it does not disappoint. Multi-Format and document linking. If there is something that is customer facing, I put these things into the short version when I am giving my presentations. Writing - With the growth of tablets, this seems to be a no-brainer. However, I use it to overwrite illustrations. Again as with the advantage of presenting in a more natural flow, using the pen/highlighting tools to draw attention is invaluable.,The phone app is too 'heavy.' A large download. Lists - I still keep the ToDo's on Evernote but hope that OneNote updates this to something a bit more friendly and maybe even something that can be written at the desk and then deployed to the phone. The cells on top of cells sometimes are frustrating when you are copying and pasting from one document to OneNote.,9,Real-time updating across the team No longer needing to search as much for the proper presentation before a call Sharing with end users made easier,Evernote,Salesforce.com, Evernote, Skype for Business,10,1,Hardware and Software portfolio and keeping it up to date. Customer presentations over PowerPoint for more versatile and conversation-based explanation rather than Death by PowerPoint. Concept review for self-education.,See the OneNote over PowerPoint point made earlier Communicating product updates Collaboration - neither unexpected or innovative but it keeps us out of hot water in ensuring we are using the most current data,New hire onboarding materials Pre/During/Post call or presentation checklist for follow up,10,Yes,Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation,I would not.,Coloring: As silly as this may sound, the makes finding sub-tabs much faster when flipping around. Layout - Moveable and easy to customize to your liking. Saving - If all of my other MS apps did this well, life would be easier. Screen capture Win+Shift+S and you get the capture and can automate what gets down with it, simply coped for pasting purposes of sent directly to a predesignated spot in OneNote.,Sometimes format can be kludgey. Different boxes on top of one another. You know how you can hit F2 in excel when you are in a cell with the end result of a formula, I'd like that same functionality in OneNote but all of the perimeters of the boxes get highlighted. This may exist but I have yet to find a shortcut. Speaking of shortcuts, even though I did laud the screenshot and what comes after [as to where it get goes or gets deposited], I miss the shorter version of the screenshot shortcut. Also, and this is more OS blaming than OneNote, OneNote has to be open for the 3 shortcut functions to work.,Yes,9OneNote Provides Outstanding Structure for OrganizationOneNote is an all-in-one notepad/project planning tool that almost everyone in our company uses to capture critical notes from client calls and design sessions. The tool makes it easy to log many project notes to one application through its easy tab structure.,Easy to use tab structure to separate note topics. Ability to create new notebooks for different projects/clients. Great at attaching other files to the notebook like pictures, powerpoints, etc.,The tree structure on the right side could be better at allowing adding/subtracting child sub-sections Opening new notebooks forces you to select who you are sharing the contents with - no need for this to appear by default,10,One easy to use tool that is included in many Microsoft suite packages. Standard across many organizations to share, send or use in any industry/company.,Google DriveOneNote - great collaboration toolI primarily use OneNote as it is part of our Microsoft Office 365 Suite. We typically use it as a form of Wiki - where we might share information on certain products that we sell or support. We use it to take notes in meetings and share with the team or to collaborate on a variety of projects and initiatives. Personally, I use Evernote for capturing day to day notes and have for many years, but OneNote is getting more use by me because it is easy to capture and share content with colleagues on a Corporate approved solution.,Collaboration with colleagues - edit the same doc in real-time - leverage as a repository for knowledge sharing With iPad app and Apple Pencil, you can take handwritten notes and quickly organize them Syncs seamlessly with OneDrive,I find the organization of the notebooks, sections and pages a little clunky compared to Evernote. Not quite as intuitive as Evernote for me,8,I cannot provide any hard numbers, but OneNote has definitely made me and our team more efficient in learning new material, and collaborating on projects. It saves us time and effort in that it is easy to search and find the content you are looking for.,Evernote,Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Analytics, SlackOne Note is your one stop shop for note taking!OneNote is being used on an individual basis throughout the organization. Because it is now freely available, many users use it as their preferred note-taking platform for jotting down notes, action items, and capturing other content for later consumption. OneNote enjoys integration with the Microsoft Office suite of tools and as a result, users enjoy integration with OneDrive for Cloud syncing and other benefits.,OneNote handles cloud sync across multiple devices extremely well. It syncs my notes between my Home computer, my work computer, my iPad, and my iPhone all without issue. OneNote's system for organizing notes is very hierarchical which is beneficial if you think that way. Personally, I find it easy to organize my notes by Notebook, Section, and the headings for each entry, enabling a simple yet very well organized note taking system. OneNote is also good at capturing multiple sources of input - drawings, web clippings, graphics, and others. This enables you to enrich your notes with any and all relevant content, without necessarily needing to remember where it came from.,OneNote could improve on its web clipping features. Evernote still beats it in terms of robustness, but OneNote is sufficient for most purposes. OneNote could also improve on its tagging system. Its the other major way of categorizing notes, which Evernote uses to great effect, but OneNote de-emphasizes this in favor of a hierarchical ordering. This is a silly point, but it drives me mad. OneNote's free-form editing on pages, meaning you can click anywhere and start editing makes for sloppier notes that aren't as well aligned. This could be an enjoyable feature for some, but for me, I like my pages orderly.,9,OneNote has become our organizational standard method of taking electronic notes (though some still prefer pen and paper.) It has been a zero cost outlay due to its freely available nature. Its integration with other Microsoft Office products makes it easy to share notes and content between products, allowing for easy collaboration where needed. OneNote's integration with OneDrive ensures that individual's notes are always safe and secure, taking away the tedious responsibility of backup from the user, and makes it happen seamlessly in the background.,Evernote,Evernote, Dropbox, Mozy, Backblaze, Carbonite, Code42 (formerly CrashPlan)
OneNote

OneNote Reviews

OneNote
Filter 488 vetted OneNote reviews and ratings
June 13, 2018

Review: "OneNote - Move faster by remembering what's next"

• It makes it really easy to capture notes in different formats - text, pictures, copy & paste, videos, etc.
  • It makes it really easy to organize notes by using the concept of notebooks - which are thematic ways to organize your notes
  • The mobile app is easy to use and navigate, which means I can always have my notes with me, even if I'm not in front of my computer
  • OneNote should integrate with meeting management tools (e.g. Zoom) and automatically transcribe meetings and provide all attendees with notes
  • OneNote should integrate with workflow processing tools so that any deliverables or goals coming out of a meeting can be captured and tracked against resources & timelines
  • At a corporate level, OneNote should help companies find which employees are SME's in particular areas by analyzing their data and content
OneNote is great for making it really easy to take, organize and access your notes across devices. It's not great for collaboration (which is probably by design). Also, sometimes the interface can be a little slow to work with.
Read Gagan Kanwar's full review
May 17, 2018

Review: "Why OneNote? Because what it cannot do, I can count on maybe 3 fingers."

• Tabs-Enabling quick look up even without using the search feature. Also, because of the sub-tabs, items can be updated quickly and neatly.
  • Search-As the content grows, this is without a doubt one of the more used features and it does not disappoint.
  • Multi-Format and document linking. If there is something that is customer facing, I put these things into the short version when I am giving my presentations.
  • Writing - With the growth of tablets, this seems to be a no-brainer. However, I use it to overwrite illustrations. Again as with the advantage of presenting in a more natural flow, using the pen/highlighting tools to draw attention is invaluable.
  • The phone app is too 'heavy.' A large download.
  • Lists - I still keep the ToDo's on Evernote but hope that OneNote updates this to something a bit more friendly and maybe even something that can be written at the desk and then deployed to the phone.
  • The cells on top of cells sometimes are frustrating when you are copying and pasting from one document to OneNote.
Well Suited: Portfolio 'Bibles' - Just like the old 3 ring binder notebooks that salespeople used to haul around, OneNote is the digital equivalent but much more tidy and less bulky.
Less Appropriate: Generating new content. Because of its amorphous [for want of a better term] nature, it is easier to go to another application in the office suite and drag/copy over to OneNote rather than starting and finishing within OneNote.
Read Brad Bratcher's full review
May 30, 2018

Review: "OneNote Provides Outstanding Structure for Organization"

• Easy to use tab structure to separate note topics.
  • Ability to create new notebooks for different projects/clients.
  • Great at attaching other files to the notebook like pictures, powerpoints, etc.
  • The tree structure on the right side could be better at allowing adding/subtracting child sub-sections
  • Opening new notebooks forces you to select who you are sharing the contents with - no need for this to appear by default
Dealing with a new client every few weeks allows me a clean interface to group project notes for current projects and hide notes from projects that took place years ago. Sharing notebooks is also great for team collaboration as OneNote makes it easy to view multiple team members notes.
Read Steve Vogt's full review
May 22, 2018

User Review: "OneNote - great collaboration tool"

• Collaboration with colleagues - edit the same doc in real-time - leverage as a repository for knowledge sharing
  • With iPad app and Apple Pencil, you can take handwritten notes and quickly organize them
  • Syncs seamlessly with OneDrive
  • I find the organization of the notebooks, sections and pages a little clunky compared to Evernote.
  • Not quite as intuitive as Evernote for me
OneNote is well suited to group collaboration and sharing content and notes related to projects, initiatives and the like. Can also be used similarly to a wiki, where people can create a page, list FAQs, and other general knowledge sharing. I would think of it primarily as an "internal" tool rather than an external one.
Read Matt Smedley's full review
July 19, 2018

OneNote Review: "One Note is your one stop shop for note taking!"

• OneNote handles cloud sync across multiple devices extremely well. It syncs my notes between my Home computer, my work computer, my iPad, and my iPhone all without issue.
  • OneNote's system for organizing notes is very hierarchical which is beneficial if you think that way. Personally, I find it easy to organize my notes by Notebook, Section, and the headings for each entry, enabling a simple yet very well organized note taking system.
  • OneNote is also good at capturing multiple sources of input - drawings, web clippings, graphics, and others. This enables you to enrich your notes with any and all relevant content, without necessarily needing to remember where it came from.
  • OneNote could improve on its web clipping features. Evernote still beats it in terms of robustness, but OneNote is sufficient for most purposes.
  • OneNote could also improve on its tagging system. Its the other major way of categorizing notes, which Evernote uses to great effect, but OneNote de-emphasizes this in favor of a hierarchical ordering.
  • This is a silly point, but it drives me mad. OneNote's free-form editing on pages, meaning you can click anywhere and start editing makes for sloppier notes that aren't as well aligned. This could be an enjoyable feature for some, but for me, I like my pages orderly.
OneNote is extremely well suited if you have Notes that generally fall into less than, say, 10 categories. That makes it easy to set up 10 different notebooks, or 10 different sections within a single notebook for those topics. Any more than that, and the hierarchical model starts to break down, and that's where tag-based organization becomes stronger. However, if you have a small number of categories, I prefer the hierarchical way that OneNote organizes, making it generally pretty easy to find the content you were looking for.
June 15, 2018

User Review: "OneNote Keeping my Day Organized"

I utilize OneNote to make notes, take meeting minutes, document changes, etc. It allows me to keep everything in one place between my devices. It helps solve the problem of being organized and being able to look back to see what was agreed upon or the direction.
  • It does well for note-taking and organization. It allows me to label and color code everything--making information easy to find
  • It does well with synchronization across devices. I am able to take notes on my computer or phone and always have them with me in one centralized place.
  • It does well with ease of use. It is a very simple software with little to no learning curve.
  • OneNote could improve by allowing users to create a customized note template.
  • It can improve by allowing graphic design orientation features like guidelines and snap lines.
  • It can be improved by letting users import document links into the notes window so it is easy to track a topic.
OneNote is well suited for meeting minutes and general note taking. It is not well suited for anything that will need to be printed or presented.
July 21, 2016

Review: "OneNote - for individual users on a daily basis"

OneNote was used individually by me in order to take notes during classes and meetings.
  • Easy to create a note/notebook any time, from any device.
  • NoteS are saved on the cloud and synced frequently.
  • More flexible than Word or another text editor to quickly create documents of different formats/media types.
  • It tries too hard to be used every time. Taskbar icon begs to be used. Sometimes I don't need OneNote.
  • Pen recognition is not as quick for handwriting as other alternatives (e.g. S-Note from Samsung on Android devices)
  • OneNote relies on OneDrive, which is does not do as great as other cloud storage providers in terms of reliability/speed
If you own a Microsoft portable device (e.g. Surface Pro) you will definitely be using OneNote all the time :)
Read Tiago Martines's full review
July 19, 2016

"OneNote Reviewed"

This is being used across our organization for note taking in meetings. It allows us to link these meeting notes across devices and across platforms. People were using a wide variety of tools to accomplish this and to be able to standardize on one tool has been invaluable to our organization.
  • Taking notes during meetings
  • Attaching pictures to your notes to allow for more detailed notes.
  • Creating different workbooks for different projects that you are working on.
  • The ability to either type or use a stylus for your notes.
  • Should allow your notes to be stored in more 3rd party cloud providers instead of Microsoft OneDrive.
  • Should be able to link your notebooks to multiple accounts. This would allow you to see notebooks from your personal and work for example.
  • Should be able to secure and manage more features with MDM products.
It is well suited as a note taking app that can be used on multiple platforms and keep users notebooks up to date across these platforms.
Read Brad Daugherty's full review
June 24, 2016

OneNote Review: "Best Note App Ever!"

I use OneNote for personal note taking for classes or just general things I need to write down during the day. I am constantly making and editing to-do lists and OneNote makes it really easy to do so on the go. I always have my phone on me at the very least so taking notes across different platforms is really convenient.
  • The mobile version is wonderful.
  • Love being able to use a stylus.
  • Android has a floating badge that stays on screen to allow quick access to notes anytime.
  • Updates can cause more problems than they solve sometimes.
OneNote is a great note taking app for everyone, students specifically. Sharing your notes is a breeze, which is helpful for collaborating or even just helping out a friend. Sometimes I even use it to make a grocery list to send to my boyfriend.
Read Jeannette Saysomvang's full review
April 26, 2016

Review: "Using OneNote as a CRM Replacement for consulting"

We currently use OneNote to share and sync our important client details for job visits, etc. Instead of having to publish a full suite CRM to manage customer calls we have templates created in OneNote that include the job details and blanks for the consultants to add notes for the work done and any recommendations. These pages can then be formatted and printed to PDF to provide to customer with the fixes and recommendations from the visit. Since all data is synced anyone can pull it up and there is always a backup copy on the cloud.
  • Note sync
  • Easy collaboration
  • Cloud backup of notes
  • Ability to make templates that are shared
  • Better layout
  • Make templates easier
  • More sharing options
I think it is best suited for collaboration of project ideas. Where it would be less suited would be for someone looking for a replacement for a full fledged collaboration suite.
Read Alan Matson, CCNA:S, MCP's full review
April 13, 2016

User Review: "OneNote for us"

With so many staff using different devices working together has been a difficult thing for much of our staff to do. We had been on the hunt for something that would help with the ability of groups to work together. We stumbled across OneNote after hearing some other groups had been using it and were really enjoying it. We had started using it as a demo group and saw all the functionality we could use. The addition of being able to use pens that are on so many devices has been a great boon for our staff.
  • Cooperatively work with other people.
  • You can use touch screen devices.
  • You can use pens that are coming with devices now, such as the Surface and Ipad Pro.
  • Easier to work cooperatively.
  • A more streamlined interface
Ideal for sure when staff needs to work together no matter where they happen to be working either in the same area or even different parts of the country. While it is very versatile, the share and functional part of it is not as easy going as using Google Apps. It should be noted that it is a much more robust program.
Read Barrett Ford's full review
April 12, 2016

Review: "OneNote good for more than just taking notes"

OneNote is available to all users in my organization. It's not something anyone is required to use. It's available as a tool and my team has adopted it as our primary means of documentation.
  • One of the best things about OneNote is the ability to quickly enter data of many types without much effort. There are many different types of intake methods from browser extensions to mobile devices and of course the traditional desktop.
  • I find it very comforting that I can quickly record information about something then go back and easily reformat it.
  • As a team we share a single OneNote so it makes updating or sharing info very simple.
  • Users can manage multiple personal OneNotes along with the one we share as a team.
  • Maybe a little better integration with native spreadsheets. Currently it appears to force your spreadsheet info into a choice of several predefined formats.
  • Page updating for our International users is definitely slow at times.
It's great for sharing info within a team but if you want to export that info it can be a bit clunky.
Read Ben Tusa's full review
March 22, 2016

OneNote Review: "Cleaner notes"

OneNote is used to keep track of information that users would typically put onto physical sticky notes that in the past could have been lost or misplaced. Using OneNote allows sticky notes type of notes to be stored digitally and also allows us to quickly find notes. OneNote is also used to save a list of items that pertain to a particular task that we need to perform periodically. One such example is the steps required to file a batch of UCCs, there are several steps we must take to extract the data from our system and import it into our UCC partners' system, after which we must also extract responses and return the responses to our system.
  • Notes on procedures taking several steps
  • Sharing notes
  • Storing notes digitally so they are not lost
  • Better encryption options
  • Ability to use personal clouds
OneNote is well suited as a replacement to physical sticky notes.
Read dan berezowski's full review
March 10, 2016

Review: "OneNote - my mac replacement for Evernote"

I use OneNote on my Surface Tablet Pro - mainly as the Windows version of Evernote (even though yes, you can use Evernote on Windows as well). I find it an easy way to keep track of all my notes, and I love the built in organizational system of OneNote as well. Lots of times I have hundreds of documents, and I want to be able to easily access them and switch from one to the next without having to go into my documents, open other folders, etc. It's nice to know that all of my important notes can literally be accessed with the touch of a button (by touching the top of surface pen).
  • Ability to write notes with your pen as well as type notes - love being able to switch between those options!
  • The ease of access with opening.
  • The organization built into OneNote - the tabs and folders.
  • Formatting issues - the space to write originally does not go across the entirety of the screen.
  • More color coding options - yes I know this is the lamest 'con' ever haha but I use color coding for all my organization and would love more colors!
  • Emoji integration would be incredible.
It would be incredible for teams who all use OneNote - because the integration of being able to share and collaborate on notes can be very useful. However, since most people seem to be Mac users - then it's definitely hard to collaborate if only half can use all of the features of OneNote.
Read Shannon McNamara's full review
June 13, 2016

Review: "OneNote - New place for Requirement Gathering"

We used OneNote while developing a health care exchange application, and to have the business requirements in agile scrum. It was easy for business analysts, developers and QAs to have a single place to write, review, and update the user story and include a date modified and history etc.
  • Note updating and taking.
  • Office OneNote does really well in history and comparison of notes. This helped us to know when the Business Analyst or Product Team updated what.
  • The recently available OneNote Online, is also an addition.
  • OneNote and OneDrive should have some kind of link. If they bring that it would be excellent.
  • In Windows 10, the OneNote App needs some improvement from a UI perspective.
OneNote is well suited for business requirement gathering as per my experience. Students can also use it to have their notes from a lecture/class in a date wise manner.
Read Babin Saha's full review
December 28, 2015

User Review: "OneNote, your new best friend!"

I'd be lost without Microsoft OneNote! OneNote is basically a notebook which lets you have pages of notes or text in one place. I use OneNote for ideas, meeting notes, project notes and as a small task tracker. I export meeting invitations to OneNote and take my notes for the meeting. It's great because it shows meeting participants. I don't carry a paper notebook around anymore.
  • Exports meetings from Outlook
  • Drawing capability
  • Stores notes with several subpages
  • PDF viewing capability
  • Phone app for Android (have not seen it out there)
  • OneNote to Outlook Calendar capability
OneNote may not be for everyone. I would recommend it to anyone that has to organize thoughts per project and task. It is also great to add in voice or video recordings for a meeting. This product is ideal for anyone that needs to take minutes for a meeting and send them out. OneNote makes it easy.
Read Ilicia Lopez's full review
January 19, 2016

OneNote Review: "Good Note Taking App"

Sometimes I use it as an alternative to OneNote.
  • Easy to Use
  • Free
  • Nice Desktop App
  • Bit tough to use on Mobile.
  • Chrome Extension is really bad.
  • Syncing is not better.
It's free to use but it is not better than Evernote.
Read Mohammed Anzil's full review
March 18, 2015

User Review: "OneNote will amaze you!"

Everyone in the company has access to OneNote; some departments used it as a shared notebook for information and tacking of workload. Individuals use it for their own benefit. Productivity and having information available to a group to access immediately.
  • Enhances your paperless office environment
  • Easily access important information that you need
  • Search capability to find what you need
  • Remembers websites you retrieve information from.
  • Allows you to attach pictures, videos and record
  • Hard to think of anything you haven't thought of
Ease of use for the users.
Always available.

Microsoft OneNote is the best software that was ever invented. It helps you streamline your productivity with the added benefit of making you more productive and organized. I have used it daily for the last 3-years and it has made me more efficient about getting information quickly. How can I count the ways it can assist you. Hmm, let me try!

1. Enhances your paperless office environment.
2. Easily search for the answer you need.
3. Easily integrates with all the Microsoft Office tools including the Web.
4. You can print directly to OneNote.

These are just some of the highlights of what the tool can do. I am 95% paperless and I found once I integrated the use of OneNote into my process it streamlined everything for me.

How? You receive an email with information that you need to retrieve later down the line. Just click on the icon that sits in Microsoft Outlook to send it to OneNote. OneNote opens up you select the section you want to store it in. Bam it’s there, forever until you delete it. This also works with Word, Power Point etc.; just select print to OneNote and Microsoft takes care of it for you in a couple of minutes.

Instead of trying to remember where you saved the information, just open OneNote and do a search and it’ll tell you where it is within the notebook.

Another great feature of OneNote is its capability of remembering where you copied and pasted information from a website. Ever saved a blurb from a website only to forget where you got it from. Not anymore, with Microsoft OneNote; any time you paste anything from the internet, OneNote automatically pastes a link to the page you got it from. Makes it easy for you to refer back to the website you originally got the information.

You don't even have to save your work; OneNote automatically saves your work once you close out of it.

You don’t have to take a class to learn how to use it. I taught myself and was able to get a notebook created. There are numerous YouTube videos you can watch for free that can teach you if you want a visual.

I can go on and on and still not touch he surface of everything it can do.

Start using it and you’ll love it.
Read Anita Arguello's full review
February 27, 2015

Review: "OneNote: One Place for Everything Important"

We use OneNote across our organization for various purposes. Primarily, we use it manage work assignments and travel. We use it to collaborate with our business partners and conduct research projects as well. For us, the biggest bang for the buck is its portability to various platforms and devices, Mac, Android, phone, tablet, computer.
  • Portability to popular platforms - When I travel, my entire itinerary is visible at a glance on my Android Ap. My right hand person is a Mac guy. So, he can use what he likes and I can use what I like and we both know what's going on with a project or assignment.
  • Content agnostic - There's virtually no type of content that can't be included in a OneNote notebook. I send e-mail messages there, insert PowerPoint slides, capture audio and video, as well as cell phone camera content on my Android phone. You can type, draw, capture screenshots. Nothing is off the table.
  • Nimble - We can start collaborating on an idea with a partner on a single page in a single section, then grow that notebook to be the project repository, and finally the location for all finished work.
  • Affordability - Free is a pretty good price!
  • I would love to see OneNote offer an option to sort pages within a notebook.
  • The look and feel of the online version is substantially different from the desktop app. Would be nice if they were more alike.
  • Tags are a great way to get an additional "layer" of organization. However, searching for tags is a little clumsy. Would love that to be a little more elegant.
This tool is ideal for managing projects, organizing travel, collecting research and collaborating.
Read Melissa Esquibel's full review
February 25, 2015

OneNote Review: "A Super Powered Notebook"

OneNote is implemented across the organization but it is up to the individual to learn it and incorporate it into their day to day job. It is an excellent resource to replace and enhance the use of traditional pen and paper.
  • Organization of day to day meeting and task notes- The best thing about OneNote is the ability to organize notes to make them easy to access and use as needed. The sections can be used to create a category and pages of notes can be added as subcategories to that section (think of a paper file folder filled with documents). The search functionality allows you to use any word within any file to easily locate a particular note page. Extras such as "to do", "important" tags and "question" tags make it easy to find and and sort by these categories as well.
  • Easy to Use- One note is so much like a traditional notebook, file cabinet and MS Word that getting started requires little or no training. The product is very intuitive to organize and use with only a small learning curve. All of the editing is very similar or the same as MS Word so anyone who can use Word can use OneNote.
  • Easy to Enhance with References- Beyond the ability to create and organize notes, OneNote allows you to easily insert links to web pages, other files such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint, photos, audio and video recordings and drawings. This makes it very easy to locate anything refereed to in the notes.
  • Ability to share notebooks with others- Although the product offers several ways to share with others it is confusing to decide which option to use and in some cases requires the user to create a Windows Live ID. This has made it challenging for me to use OneNote to collaborate with others.
I would recommend OneNote for any situation in which notes are taken such as schools, trainings and meetings. Although it's easy to fall back to old school pen and paper, the enhanced abilities of OneNote to let you add supporting links and documents, save to a cloud environment, organize and find makes it far more usable.
Read Bridgette Barry's full review
December 24, 2014

Review: "OneNote: Making Information Easy to Organize"

OneNote is used throughout our organization. It assists areas in many ways, but specific to my area, we use it as an information repository and a central point of reference for many topics, from meeting agendas, notes, and attachments to policy and proceedure housing.
  • OneNote makes organization easy!
  • OneNote can serve as a central repository for an entire department's materials.
  • OneNote can also capture just your own personal information. It's all about how you set it up and use it to organize information.
  • If you do not understand the basic structure of how to setup a OneNote database, it can be cumbersome to learn at first.
  • Regarding a shared OneNote database: Your organizational structure may not always be how someone else would structure information.
OneNote is fantastic at organizing information.

During selection, ask for specific examples of how information could be organized to generate ideas about how you would organize your content.
Read Ray Ideen's full review
September 29, 2014

Review: "OneNote your personal thought organizer"

OneNote comes with a standard MS Office package. I have to stress that it is not a compulsory tool to use throughout the organization but rather something to be used on a personal level. I am not sure about my other colleagues, as this is a personal preference tool.
I personally choose to use it for training purposes, mainly organizing loads of different information.
  • With all other online tools in place one might think there is no need anymore for OneNote, however it has some capabilities that not all little note organizing apps and programs have. For example it has built in calculation tools. You start writing e.g. 100 / 2 = and once you put space after = sign you get your answer. I have not seen other note compiling apps do that.
  • It gives the feeling of an actual note book with all the tabs of important information you want to store. Compared to other note keeping products where it is more tag based.
  • I love the search option, that is so convenient.
  • Screen clipping is much more convenient than any other program.
  • Sharing could be little bit easier.
  • I feel it has a little bit bulky file appearance (a folder with multiple files). I would say, it is not anymore OneNote but Multiple notes (even though it compiles it all together pretty nice).
I personally really like OneNote for developing procedures. You know when you start creating department procedures there are more and more things that pop out that need to be elaborated. Well as a draft version, before it gets published on the company online platform, it is a perfect place to organize your thoughts.
Read Ausrine Pasakarnyte's full review
August 20, 2014

Review: "OneNote and Surface Pro - No more paper notebook"

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and thoroughly enjoy OneNote. I picked up two desktop licenses for the additional functionality over the free version, one license is for my Surface and one for my workstation. The handwriting capability of the Pro 3 is marvelous, especially within OneNote. The OneNote Desktop application can search handwritten content.

The terrific search capability, combined with the handwriting recognition, allows me to finally dispose of my binder full of notes that I can't search. Too much information was being lost and had to be recreated each time I needed it. Export capabilities give a range of formats for sharing and backing up data. The master files are stored on my OneDrive account. Notebooks can also be shared with your individual personal and business Live.com accounts or with other Live.com users.

I use OneNote 2013 as a standalone application and do not use MS Office, we use LibreOffice for all documents, presentations, and spreadsheets. So, there is some integration with Outlook that I am not taking advantage of.
  • Great handwriting recognition when used with Microsoft Surface Pro.
  • Excellent search capability, even finds handwritten notes.
  • Can convert handwritten text to printed text when selected.
  • The OneNote Windows 8 app has some great features that are optimized for the touch screen interface of Surface. The OneNote 2013 Desktop lacks this, but the quicktools do help.
OneNote combined with Microsoft Surface can effectively replace my paper note pad, dramatically enhancing the value of my notes.
Read Eugene Bodrero's full review
July 05, 2014

Review: "OneNote is a good in-office note-taking program."

I do not use OneNote at my current job. As far as I know, it does not solve any business problem. It may be a choice for some employees to use OneNote when they are in a meeting, and want to take notes of the things people are discussing in a meeting.
  • I really enjoy how you can really write anywhere on the page. It's just like an actual notebook! This allows for more flexibility in what your notes look like, as opposed to dealing with alignments and margins in Word.
  • This software allows for touch and pen input (if your computer supports it) and it is really useful when you can't quite express something in words.
  • With Office 365, OneNote can now be synced with OneDrive, which is included in Office 365. This allows your notes to be accessed from any computer or device with an Internet connection.
  • Microsoft OneNote can't be accessed from a mobile web browser.
  • OneNote is a paid service.
It's appropriate whenever you want to take note of something around you. It's more appropriate in the workplace and in school, because it looks like an application you would use professionally. It's not so much something you'd use on a vacation or when you're with friends.
Read Jeremy Ma's full review
June 24, 2014

User Review: "OneNote Rocks!"

OneNote is being used sporadically throughout the organization. The sales team uses it to take notes during meetings. I specifically have different notebooks for different items. In my Work notebook I keep notes for internal meetings and create "To-Do" items which show up as tasks in outlook. I love that the two can interface very well and I know what my task list is even when I'm not in OneNote.
  • Record Meetings
  • Save annotations with notes or use a pen on a touchscreen laptop
  • The web clipper piece is great for screenshots and showing exactly what you were looking at or getting pictures to add to the notes.
  • I would like to see it integrate with other products like Excel better.
  • The recording is tough to find unless you know exactly where it is. It would be nice to have it more accessible.
  • When writing with a pen on a tablet, the touch options need to be easier to navigate. Sometimes it's difficult to erase while you are trying to write notes while in the middle of a meeting.
People who are using Outlook and Microsoft products should use OneNote. Now that OneNote is available across all of your devices there really isn't a scenario where it doesn't fit. You should consider trying OneNote and using some of the features and functionalities to see if fits for you. Most everyone uses Microsoft Office products, so why not use the note taking and web clipping/screen shot taking application.
Read Bryan Jacobs's full review

Access control (16)
File search (21)
Device sync (23)
9.5
User and role management (12)
File organization (17)