OneNote Reviews

Gavin Scott-Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 09, 2020

OneNote to rule them all.

Our company provides a Microsoft 365 license to its employees. So having the application pre-installed was what made me look into it to begin with. Our company uses it to varying degrees, though I personally use it as a repository of all information that isn't better suited as a full fledged document.
  • Cloud Syncing. It is great to just open the app on any computer or phone and have everything you need right there
  • Outlook integration. It is really easy to take notes from meetings and sync right to the calendar, as well as sync todos with outlook
  • Flexibility. Its really nice to be able to use OneNote however best suits you. You can create templates for these as well
  • Task management (it would be nice for one note to be able to send notifications to your device)
  • Integrations with other services (Ifttt, etc.)
  • It would be great for the iPhone application to support drawing
OneNote is really great for taking quick notes. It is also great for smaller 'documents' that you will reference frequently. I think that it is less well suited for more full document management. OneNote is NOT Microsoft Word, and OneNote is NOT Microsoft Excel. If you keep this in mind. Then OneNote will be great!
Read Gavin Scott-Miller's full review
Kavita Thakur | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 04, 2020

OneNote for every note

Our department is using OneNote. I am pretty sure many people in my organization use OneNote. It is an excellent program for multi-user collaboration. I use it to create training manuals so that I can share them with my team. I also use it to manage my own workload. We can make notes, drawings, screen clippings, attach emails, and audio commentaries, which is excellent.
  • It's great that I can use it on Android, Apple, and Windows devices. It syncs perfectly with phone, desktop so i can access any information anytime.
  • The user interface is simple and thought out. Very user-friendly.
  • You can take notes - you can draw or write or record your voice in the middle of your notes as you wish.
  • It allows you to link different pages, add calendar, add notes, create templates, and save them.
  • It can add some formatting options, like headers, dark mode, and some organizing features which are included on the desktop app.
  • It doesn't have Integration with Google calendar & Gdrive.
OneNote is well suited if your purpose is to take notes, share with the team as it allows you to tag people, notes, calendars, etc. It syncs well with your desktop app, so you can access anything anywhere you want. I like how many different formatting options there are, and its syncing ability. I use one note for business meetings for note-taking, and I love how I can upload screenshots or pictures, charts, and graphs, etc.
OneNote has a sound support system. I have hardly faced issues with it.
Read Kavita Thakur's full review
Justin Harbin | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 24, 2020

Onenote - excellent for collaborative brainstorming!

• I use OneNote on a personal level to take notes and brainstorm less formally - integration with the Office for Business Suite, which my institution employs has been a significant reason for my own initial use. I use OneNote to collaborate with other faculty members and stakeholders as we co-design online and blended courses.
  • OneNote is primarily used within the Office of Digital Learning and Center for Teaching & Learning, rather than the entire institution. It provides a cloud-based canvas for brainstorming and notetaking for these teams who do not reside all in one location.
  • Fully integrated into the Onedrive for Business suite, so the transition is smooth if you are familiar with these products.
  • Clear tracking of collaborative work, including version tracking.
  • Can experience breakdown when collaborating with others who have a OneDrive account that is not a Business account - some faculty members had trouble logging in properly when the notebook was shared.
  • We often use a template to start collaboration on design, and the current version of the product lacks this feature to quickly and easily set up a notebook (there are workarounds)
  • Onenote is excellent for less formal brainstorming and collaboration. My go-to uses are in meetings with others where I hand-write notes (I'm using a surface pro with stylus). Where greater structure and task management are needed, you'll likely need to supplement with a different product. Email notifications could also be improved, which is again where a more structured program might be useful if you need task management pieces.
  • I've often thought of it as my digital 3-ring binder, which others have also found easy to acclimate to compared to other similar products.
Microsoft does an alright enough job supporting issues in OneNote and updated as of late have brought welcome features. Several years ago they were not as supportive, but current rating reflects updates as Microsoft has seemed to consolidate around the Microsoft Store app.
I haven't had many issues where I directly needed to call support.
Read Justin Harbin's full review
March 16, 2020

A very well put together product!

OneNote is currently being used in my organization. We use it to keep attendance and logs in our meetings. OneNote has allowed my department to keep track of important action trackers and their progress.
  • Easy to use.
  • Very organized.
OneNote is well suited for companies that are looking to manage their meetings in an very organized way. OneNote allows companies to keep track of past topics from previous meetings and to keep track of important actions that need to be completed by employees.
I give OneNote a 9 because of how accessible it is for myself and my team members. I really like the ability to access OneNote whenever I am working remotely.
Jeff Henkel | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2019

OneNote Review

I use OneNote mainly for copying web addresses and articles into one location. I have multiple tags all for different uses. I find that sometimes when I am researching an issue for a client, instead of printing out the article I tag it under various topics in OneNote. In addition, while I am searching for information on one topic I may run across another topic that sparks my interest. So OneNote has become the one place where I can not only place research topics for current use but also store ideas and resources for future problem solving or brainstorming.
  • OneNote is a great tool for storing ideas that can be accessed for future use.
  • OneNote works great for storing "how to's" about workflow and work ideas that I don't use often. I don't have to worry about remembering where it is or how to do it.
  • OneNote is an excellent tool for having all you want or need in one place. I use it for both personal and work.
  • Since I use Office 365, I sometimes have difficulty with the sync feature. It doesn't always seem to sync immediately between the desktop and the cloud versions.
  • Sometimes the different types of ways to save a web page or document don't display properly. It may be the difference between the desktop and the online Office 365 versions.
OneNote works for copying web addresses and web articles. If you like to have all your resources in one place and want to organize them by topic or otherwise, OneNote is perfect. I have used OneNote only slightly for entering fresh data and ideas and it seems to work well. I just love that instead of having to copy or print documents or webpages all over the place I can have everything in one place.
I honestly have not had to deal with support but based on my experience with Office 365 I have not had any problems getting answers when something hasn't worked properly.
Read Jeff Henkel's full review
Jill Liegghio | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

You MUST, MUST, MUST try OneNote. It will literally revolutionize the way you stay organized.

I began using OneNote when it was released in 2007 as a way to reliably store notes. Prior to this, I used the notes function that existed in our various email programs - which were notoriously unreliable - and paper notes! I use it every day and store meeting notes, passwords, items to save, work instructions, ideas, links to articles - you name it. Our Finance leadership team uses it to keep meeting notes and our IT team uses it for work instructions. We all find it very, very useful.
  • It reliably stores notes. No worries about losing a sticky note or trying to find where you stored a file on your computer.
  • You can share your notebook with specific people - allowing for collaboration and security.
  • It allows you to be very organized - setting up sections, pages, and additional notebooks.
  • You can use the cloud-based version and link it to things like MS Teams and Sharepoint.
  • It's very dynamic. It can save written text, screenshots, URs. A far better version of a paper book. Most technology-savvy team members always have it ready when attending a meeting.
  • I wish the cloud version had all the robust tools available in the desktop version.
One Note is fantastic for keeping track of information. I find it especially useful for meeting notes, allowing you to mark items as open, and create Outlook tasks with due dates. You can keep track of the people who attended the meeting, you can link files or attach files to share in the moment or just to share for your future use. I get it, not everyone likes to bring a laptop or a tablet to a meeting because maybe it feels too impersonal - but this tool is so powerful, I find it hard to believe anyone would choose a sticky note or paper after seeing what this can do.
I've never had to reach out to support for OneNote because it is actually quite intuitive. You can take some fantastic classes on it through LinkedIn Learning, and I'm sure you can easily find other tutorials on-line. Working where I do, it's very easy to tap the IT team for insights on how to do something in OneNote I haven't yet learned - so very good tribal support.
Read Jill Liegghio's full review
Lukas Sundahl, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 10, 2019

OneNote is the one you need

It is being used in our department to keep track of various contract documents. It helps us organize everything that relates to a specific contract in one place. It helps keep everything organized and in a format that allows for expedited retrieval. The time stamp feature allows us to organize content so the most recent updates are at the top.
  • It is so easy to organize your data by topic.
  • OneNote is user friendly and it can quickly be picked up by people who have never worked with OneNote before.
  • The features are very similar to other Microsoft Office products which makes using it and sharing with other employees simple.
  • It is an affordable way to group and organize company information.
  • It would be nice if OneNote had some more robust table features.
  • I would like to see Linked Notes with an improved way to connect to Excel.
  • OneNote could have more drawing tools added to make it that much better.
OneNote is well suited when you have data that can be organized by department, job, contract, etc. Each tab in OneNote allows you to quickly add documents and hyperlinks to quickly get users the data they would need instead of navigating a shared network drive. OneNote allows you to quickly create new Notebooks allowing users to move to a new notebook at a specific time interval.
The support for OneNote seems to be relatively high. I think that as more companies fully leverage Office 365 they will start using OneNote to help them with business documents. I think that more marketing dollars could go towards OneNote making more people aware of it and all that it can do for businesses.
Read Lukas Sundahl, MBA's full review
Kaleb-John Loo | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 12, 2019

The OneNote You'll Need

OneNote is great for taking notes and sharing them within your company. It allows for a lot of customization and has many macros and plugins that make note-taking very efficient. Then, the information can be given to anyone by simply sharing the notebook. OneNote also allows users to access their notebooks from any computer as long as they have access to their account. This means that you can take your notes anywhere and work on them at your leisure. OneNote provides a lot of options and is very easy to use to organize notes.
  • Sharing notebooks with anyone.
  • Sync account on any computer and access notes.
  • Easy to use interface allows for easy organization.
  • Shortcuts for linking.
  • Use of templates.
  • Different versions of OneNote have changes that take getting used to.
  • There is a difference between the OneNote Windows App and the OneNote program that seem restrictive.
  • There are things you can do in Word that it seems like you should be able to do in OneNote.
OneNote is good when you want to keep an ongoing record of notes. It has a standard organizational structure to start off with that will be sufficient for a large majority of note keeping. It is extremely useful when you want to maintain your notes on any device without having to worry about saving separate documents for each note and then having to worry about being able to access the notes from another computer. OneNote, however, does not replace the other products in the Office Suite such as Word or Excel.
OneNote has decent support, but it doesn't seem like there is a lot of information on how to achieve certain results. The built-in information is more than enough to support the average user's requirements, but for the very advanced features, it will take some experimenting to get the desired result. Microsoft doesn't seem to offer too much help in that regard, but what they offer out of the box is sufficient.
Read Kaleb-John Loo's full review
Amy Welsh | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2019

OneNote for Education

OneNote is currently being used by our entire organization. We use OneNote Class Notebooks to interact with our students both inside and outside of class. I post content, assignments, assessments, remediation and extension for my students to access. I also interact with my students by providing feedback in their notebooks. We also use OneNote as a way for faculty to collaborate.
  • I love that OneNote syncs between all my devices, so no matter what - I am able to access my information.
  • The collaboration between myself and my students in invaluable. My students have instant access to my content, notes, etc.
  • As a department, we are able to share information almost instantly to collaborate even when we can't meet in person.
  • I would like to see the desktop version of OneNote continue to be supported.
OneNote is great for collaboration - and for situations where you want to write and type.
I am able to find the answer to any OneNote question I have on the Microsoft support site.
Read Amy Welsh's full review
November 07, 2019

OneNote Is Like the Jam to Outlook's Peanut Butter

We use OneNote individually, departmentally, and interdepartmentally throughout the entire organization. It is an excellent tool for capturing notes, meeting minutes, checklists, and project-related tasks. It enables collaboration and improves communication by allowing shared notebooks that multiple users can edit at the same time. It also automatically tags edits with the user's initials who made them, thereby providing a basic level of traceability.
  • Creating task lists and daily notes that can link to Outlook.
  • Generating collaborative content that is easy to search and edit.
  • Creating "live" work instructions that can be updated and maintained.
  • Creating basic wireframes and prototypes for software development.
  • The table editing tools are too simplistic and lack the features found in other Office products.
  • Some content loses its rich text formatting when being pasted into OneNote. A workaround is to paste the content first into Outlook or Word and then copy/pasting that into OneNote.
  • Microsoft is moving away from a local install of OneNote, which means notebooks have to be in the cloud in Office 2019. This will actually reduce the usefulness of OneNote in some environments and opens the door to competitor products.
  • Update: Microsoft has now announced that it will continue to support OneNote 2016 through 2023. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/Your-OneNote/ba-p/954922
It is well suited for capturing weekly departmental task lists. For example, each week we create a new page in a shared departmental notebook. In this new page, each department member enters his/her top 3 accomplishments for the week and the top 3 things which the member will attempt to accomplish in the coming week. We then use this page during our Monday morning stand-up meeting and it helps provide an agenda, structure, and discussion points for the meeting.
OneNote is widely used so that there is a lot of helpful content that can be found for support by simply conducting web searches.
Microsoft has been receptive to product feedback provided through https://onenote.uservoice.com/, including making the decision to continue to provide mainstream support for OneNote 2016 through 2023 (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/Your-OneNote/ba-p/954922).
October 21, 2019

One Note is your one stop shop for note taking!

OneNote is being used on an individual basis throughout the organization. Because it is now freely available, many users use it as their preferred note-taking platform for jotting down notes, action items, and capturing other content for later consumption. OneNote enjoys integration with the Microsoft Office suite of tools and as a result, users enjoy integration with OneDrive for Cloud syncing and other benefits.
  • OneNote handles cloud sync across multiple devices extremely well. It syncs my notes between my Home computer, my work computer, my iPad, and my iPhone all without issue.
  • OneNote's system for organizing notes is very hierarchical which is beneficial if you think that way. Personally, I find it easy to organize my notes by Notebook, Section, and the headings for each entry, enabling a simple yet very well organized note taking system.
  • OneNote is also good at capturing multiple sources of input - drawings, web clippings, graphics, and others. This enables you to enrich your notes with any and all relevant content, without necessarily needing to remember where it came from.
  • OneNote could improve on its web clipping features. Evernote still beats it in terms of robustness, but OneNote is sufficient for most purposes.
  • OneNote could also improve on its tagging system. Its the other major way of categorizing notes, which Evernote uses to great effect, but OneNote de-emphasizes this in favor of a hierarchical ordering.
  • This is a silly point, but it drives me mad. OneNote's free-form editing on pages, meaning you can click anywhere and start editing makes for sloppier notes that aren't as well aligned. This could be an enjoyable feature for some, but for me, I like my pages orderly.
OneNote is extremely well suited if you have Notes that generally fall into less than, say, 10 categories. That makes it easy to set up 10 different notebooks, or 10 different sections within a single notebook for those topics. Any more than that, and the hierarchical model starts to break down, and that's where tag-based organization becomes stronger. However, if you have a small number of categories, I prefer the hierarchical way that OneNote organizes, making it generally pretty easy to find the content you were looking for.
November 06, 2019

A must-have if you use MS Office

We use the entire Microsoft Office suite at our company and everything ties into Office. We use Outlook for email, Skype for Business as our chat/virtual meeting environment, OneDrive as our cloud storage, and of course OneNote as the preferred note-taking utility. Everyone in the company has a license for Office, including OneNote and it is the main utility that is supported by our IT department.
  • Integration with other Microsoft Office products.
  • Syncing between multiple accounts if needed.
  • Syncing between desktop and mobile applications.
  • The ability for multiple users to collaborate on the same notebook.
  • The software seems a bit heavy and takes up space, which seems normal for Microsoft software.
  • I have to re-enter my login information frequently to keep syncing between different computers and mobile applications.
  • The clip to OneNote tool is a good start but it would be nice to also have a small "sticky notes" type application that ties into OneNote.
If you use Microsoft Office products then OneNote should be your go-to tool for note-taking. You can have private notebooks that can be sorted by projects and pages (meaning you can organize a LOT of notes quickly) and you can also share certain pages with other people so you can collaborate together. It also tracks changes between different users, similar to Word, which makes it easier to know who made certain changes and when. If you are not a user of Office then there are other options that may integrate into your work utilities better, but for my company, it's a no brainer.
Since it is part of Microsoft Office and used across the globe there are a lot of support options available. It's quickest to just do a google search which will have plenty of articles to help you since there are so many OneNote users but as an Office customer you also have access to Microsoft support and I have had good experiences with their support (probably because I'm with a large company who is a large customer to them).
December 13, 2019

Awesome Cloud Solution For Managing Documents

OneNote is being used by our organization to manage the employee documents in a secure and organized manner. It's very convenient to update and access them at any place, and it helps the HR job get done easier and quicker.
  • Accessibility and easy to collaborate.
  • One place to store all the documents, pictures.
  • 5GB free space storage.
  • Easy to organize and saves lot of time in finding the files and sorting them.
  • More free space storage can be provided when compared with other competitors like Google.
  • UI can be improved little better.
  • Activity log feature can be integrated to track the changes happening on a folder lever.
  • Machine learning feature integrating natural processing language to find the files.
OneNote has a great UI and is a simple and robust solution to manage files from a centralized location. This can be used for both professional as well as personal purposes for managing the documents, pictures, and other files from any place.
August 12, 2019

OneNote - Great for Note Taking and Task Management

OneNote is frequently used by employees within the organization to keep track of information and tasks in Audit. It is used by employees in multiple areas of the organization to keep track of tasks and remember important information given to us by clients.
  • OneNote is really intuitive, especially if you have used other Microsoft office products.
  • It allows you to organize your notes easily and in a way that is logical to the user. It makes it easy to have your notes in a way that makes sense to you, including multiple pages and tabs.
  • I really like that you are not just tied to text. You are able to use videos, images, audio and other forms of media or notes that you may have taken.
  • I love how easy it is to search through your previously written notes for information when you are going back through them
  • While I haven't experienced this directly, I know people have concerns regarding the security of OneNote. I don't think this is a dealbreaker if you have other security software.
  • I guess the mobile version could be better, but the desktop version is really great and its all I really use. OneNote really lacks any problems. It is a well-designed program.
OneNote is appropriate for personal use by employees. It's really useful for individual employees who need help with task management or who take in a lot of information as part of their jobs.

It is not great for collaboration as everyone has different note-taking styles. While OneNote accommodates individual note-taking styles, it is not great for collaboration because of how customizable it is.
OneNote is a Microsoft product, and as such, they have a great customer support network. Their FAQ is quite useful for answering any general questions you may have, as well as the built-in "Help" section found in the toolbar. If you are really struggling you can send a message to customer support, but I can't attest to that as I haven't done so.
Jill Dickert | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 06, 2019

OneNote makes collaboration easy!

We use OneNote throughout the organization for a variety of needs. My department has created product and operation guides using the platform. It is a great collaborative tool as we are all owners of different products and can utilize the workbook feature to create a comprehensive manual that is easily updated and shared to multiple users.
  • Offers collaboration for multiple users to work on a product
  • Excellent tool for taking notes at a conference
  • Keeps documents organized in a searchable manner
  • I really don't see any needed areas of improvement
OneNote is definitely well suited for creating process documents for a manual or other type of guidebook for a large audience. I also personally found it incredibly helpful when attending conferences as I was able to devote a section to each session. OneNote allows the user to easily organize files and update pages. The searchability features are super helpful too.
Read Jill Dickert's full review
May 25, 2019

OneNote the Last Note-taking Software You'll Need

OneNote is used by several of the sales agents in my department as a digital file folder. It becomes home to all the important information needed for a sale: web research, budget projections, proposals, important emails from clients, brochures for the client, and anything essential to the travel project we are working on. It is a wonderful way to combine information from different programs into one location. For example, you can easily read emails and a printout of a spreadsheet without leaving the program.
  • Data Gathering - It is extremely easy and efficient to get information into OneNote. Outlook has a button to send emails directly to the program, there are browser add-ons to clip research, and you can print to OneNote from any program. Once in the program, filing the information into the right note/tab is a sinch.
  • It is not complicated. Several of my tech-challenged coworkers, use this program with ease. I even hear comments about how much they like it.
  • The styling and formatting options of the notes are limited.
  • Sizing an embedded spreadsheet is challenging.
  • Table columns auto size unnecessarily.
OneNote is great for projects. It can hold information in notes, notebooks and various tabs. This helps keeps projects organized and the information you need just a click away. It is also easy to share information with teammates. The online, desktop and mobile versions are handy when you need a cross-platform solution for your note taking needs.
April 16, 2019

OneNote is an excellent tool to house information and can be leveraged to collaborate

My entire organization adopted OneNote as a part of our shift to using the new suite of Office 365 applications exclusively. OneNote has helped to streamline collaboration across different organizations and business units at my company. It is an excellent tool for housing and organizing large bodies of information that can be shared with different users or be private. It serves as a scalable option to house anything from meeting notes, agendas etc., across the whole organization.
  • OneNote is very easy to navigate and is user-friendly, and Notebooks within the application are convenient to share making it easy to scale to new users who are not familiar with the platform
  • I enjoy being able to house meeting notes, agendas and other collateral content for different projects and programs with both individual stakeholders as well as with different project team using different notebooks and sections.
  • I can use OneNote to share documents, edit files and collaborate with other stakeholders offline.
  • While OneNote is easy to use overall, sharing Notebooks with different stakeholders can be challenging and I often have syncing issues with notebooks that are shared with other users.
OneNote helps improve collaboration for groups who may not all work in the same location which leads to improved business process improvement, agility and outcomes. I use OneNote to organize and collaborate around several projects and programs I manage forward that involve various stakeholders across different organizations and locations to collaborate around shared initiatives.
Joel Brache | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2018

An Excellent App for Notes

OneNote is used to capture notes throughout the whole organization. Many employees open multiple notebooks in OneNote so that they can share information between departments and so that they can segregate information appropriately. We use OneNote as a tool for capturing meeting notes, project information, account information, and just about anything a user wants to keep track of. With OneNote syncing across all of a user's devices, it opens up the ability for employees to look up information wherever they are and whenever they need it.

Now that we have deployed Office 365, the use of OneNote has increased as has the overall productivity of our employees. Not only are notes now on the cloud and no longer on individual computers, but it is much easier to share notes, restore them, and keep them up to date. I always have multiple notebooks open so that I can separate any personal notes from my business notes. I often find myself looking up information on my phone that I entered on my computer. This is extremely helpful in meetings and when I'm out of the office or on my own personal time.
  • OneNote synchronizes across platforms very quickly. I often find that notes entered, or updated, on my desktop are synchronized to my laptop and smartphone well before I ever open them up to access the information.
  • OneNote has apps for just every major platform available. This includes Windows, iOS, and Android. The web app has plenty of features so you won't feel let down if you have to access your notebooks through a browser.
  • The multimedia features of OneNote are wonderful. I can draw pictures, add sound bites, add videos, add files, and much more. This helps me capture the full context of a note, including any references that I might need, all within the note itself. I don't have to go outside of OneNote to find a video clip, logo, or soundbite.
  • It is not always clear where your OneNote files are kept. I prefer to keep all my OneNote files in the cloud, but the actual location of those files in OneDrive can sometimes be a mystery. If I install OneNote on my home computer, I have to open up my work OneNote in the browser and then sync it to my PC. I'm not able to find and open the file in OneDrive through File Explorer.
  • The ability to find notebooks that are shared with you is getting better, but it can sometimes be difficult to locate the right one. I often see duplicate notebooks and end up opening up the wrong one. Would be great if Microsoft only showed you links to notebooks that were actually available to you.
  • Microsoft is shifting away from OneNote 2016 and moving people on to OneNote that comes native with Windows 10. The interface is different enough that I don't like it. I am staying with OneNote 2016 because of the ease of seeing multiple notebooks open at the same time and being able to get to the exact information I need quickly. If you don't like the native OneNote built into Windows 10, you won't like the future of OneNote.
Because the information is encrypted, I choose to keep account information (user names and passwords) in OneNote. I segregate my corporate and personal account information into separate notebooks so if one Notebook is compromised, I don't compromise all my account information. That segregation is one of the features I like the most since I can have a notebooks open for personal, business, personal business, and a shared family at the same time. I like the ability to segregate information and fine OneNote well suited for managing segregated information.

If you are not using the cloud to synchronize your OneNote notebooks, I think OneNote becomes less useful. Being able to access your information across devices is a particular strength to me. OneNote will let you keep information local only, so if that's how you want to roll, you can do that too.
Read Joel Brache's full review
Chris Hecox | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2018

Review: OneNote

OneNote is a powerful tool for personal note taking and client organization. OneNote makes locating specific notes easy using tags and search functions. I use OneNote personally and know others that use it as well.
  • OneNote has an excellent organizational system. Users can create a multitude of folders and subfolders, then drop whichever notes and files into each that they'd like. It's quick and easy to create notes and begin typing away. You can also draw images or insert pictures and hyperlinks.
  • OneNote has a great mobile app. You will need to wait for it to sync, but once this is done, you are able to take notes on the go, or reference notes taken on your laptop/PC.
  • OneNote makes locating notes/files easy and fast. You can search for keywords and instantly be able to reference any notable files or notes you've taken. Finding specific information is extremely fast, which makes for quickly referencing things in meetings on demand.
  • OneNote's interface is very quick to learn. It is not dissimilar to Office and other software, so the learning curve is short.
  • OneDrive can sync into OneNote, making for fast usability between the two.
  • You can import catalogs of notes from other users, but this process is not an easy one. It messes up some of the functionality of previous notes, and it's not user friendly to import. This is mitigated by sharing your notebook with another user instead of exporting it. This process is simple, but if you want a separate copy of a catalog, it's not easy to do.
  • You are able to click anywhere into a note to begin typing in that location. It's a nice feature because it's more freeflow than other document process programs (Word or Google Docs) but it's a learning curve, honestly. You won't think much of it at first, but if you prefer a more straightforward document style, it's a bit jarring.
OneNote is great for note taking for personal use. It's good for referencing clients as well. I imagine it could be useful in a small business to help take notes on what certain clients are expecting and how to address them when meeting together. This could be useful to share among business partners as they prepare for meetings and for them to be mindful of how best to be respectful and effective.

I find it's most useful for personal note taking and organizing data.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
Daniel Cure-Boulay | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2018

OneNote makes those tedious tasks simple

It is highly recommended that all users utilize OneNote to outline, track, and share all notes/meeting minutes company-wide. This tool makes it easy to maintain all your notes so you never have to go looking.
  • Works seamlessly with Outlook so creating and sending out your meeting notes is as simple as selecting OneNote. It creates the meeting template for the meeting notes (including participants) and once you have completed the meeting, it's as simple as selecting 'share' and it sends to all participants.
  • Tracking all your meeting notes is made easy through a simple interface/structure which can be customized to your liking.
  • Can get to your meeting notes through all devices remotely.
  • There are times that formating can be difficult, especially if you're copying from other sources.
I find this tp be the perfect tool for managing meetings, taking notes, tracking, sharing and also as a high level task tracker.
Read Daniel Cure-Boulay's full review
Cordell Yin | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2018

Get rid of those spiral notebooks and just use OneNote

In my current organization, OneNote is installed as part of the Office suite but not promoted or encouraged to use. At my previous company, as an organization, we used it for notetaking, storing documents, and team collaboration.
  • It is a very easy notetaking platform. It allows the user to create their own electronic notebook, organizing it in sections and pages. It autosaves as well.
  • It integrates with Microsoft Office suite very well, especially Outlook. Content can be initiated from other Office applications and sent to OneNote. I particularly liked bringing scheduled meeting information in Outlook directly into OneNote before taking meeting minutes or personal notes.
  • If your organization uses SharePoint, then it can be a great collaboration tool. Notebooks can be shared among teams to collaborate and share notes, ideas, and documents.
  • I would like to see some sort of validated version where notebook entries could be published in some kind of locked-down fashion inside an enterprise version, and have digital signatures built in for legal purposes. For example in a research laboratory environment.
  • Easier video and audio recording capture right into the notebook.
  • Ability to play a video file that is stored in a OneNote page.
OneNote is definitely well suited to take notes, as if you were taking notes in a spiral notebook or a composition notebook. What makes it much more powerful is that it can be edited at any time, and it is searchable.

It is less appropriate if used as a document storage library. I have seen teams store files directly in OneNote notebooks to share files, but this might cause storage issues as the OneNote notebook file itself will grow very large.
Read Cordell Yin's full review
Brian Hopper | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2018

OneNote - Best notebook out there

We are largely a Google G- Suite company, but we use Office 365 for our Office licensing. I use OneNote for all of my daily note taking when talking to customers, prospects, leads, internal employees, and everything else. It's great because it is designed for note taking and syncs across all my devices.
  • Organizes notes logically into NoteBooks. This way I can keep certain topics separate from others but still only be a few short clicks away.
  • Syncs across all my devices seamlessly
  • Has rich formatting options, which is extremely helpful
  • The mobile app can sometimes feel clunky to use
  • The Mac OS integration is lacking compared to the Windows functionality, especially regarding shortcuts.
  • Having multiple accounts (e.g. personal and business) on one platform has caused issues in the past.
It works really well for taking longer form notes, especially compared to Google. Google Keep seems to geared more towards "sticky notes" and Google Docs isn't flexible enough for a "notebook."

Where I think Google Keep has the advantage is the sticky note type of notes, especially how you can pin them in Chrome.
Read Brian Hopper's full review
Kate Bowling | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 27, 2018

OneNote increases collaboration

OneNote was implemented last year as part of our company's migration to the Microsoft Office/Professional Suite. My manager helped roll out the tool from an end-user perspective. Our team provides training, both on-demand and live, for our Microsoft products, including OneNote. We are champions of the tool and try to influence other employees to use it. The ability to share notes from OneNote, edit them with team members, have notes archived and the other integrations with Microsoft tools has really enabled us to work more collaboratively. User adoption continues to grow and as people learn its capabilities, they get excited about the product. I have also purchased products (specifically a Rocketbook notebook) that is a smart notebook and using an app, can send my handwritten notes to OneNote. These types of products and tools that fully enable to work smarter plays a huge role in adoption. I really like OneNote and it's popularity continues to rise at my company.
  • Organization
  • Collaborating with colleagues
  • Easy to search within your notebook
  • OneNote app is very useful when I'm not able to use my laptop
  • I would love to have more visual organization options (borders around text boxes to distinguish notes from each other when they are all on one page).
Well suited:
  1. Ongoing team project work
  2. File storage
Read Kate Bowling's full review
December 22, 2018

Great tool for personal prodactivity. Also good for collaborating and sharing info and action iteams

OneNote is installed on everyone's workstation, as part of the Office Suite. Individuals can use it as they want, as a personal productivity tool, and also some teams are using it to gather and share knowledge among the team members. In the past, project-based teams also used it as a collaboration tool, to share notes, follow-up tasks etc., but I think this use case is now fulfilled by other products, which are designed for project related collaboration.

• Because of its flexibility and ability to hold different types of content (text, images, tables), it is a great tool for collecting content from different resources and organizing it in one place.
  • Technical support analysts are using sections for their support case analysis; they paste pieces of logs, screen-shots, document their steps in troubleshooting etc., all in one section, to get the full picture yet stay organized.
  • The logic of content structure; Notebook>Section>Page>Paragraph, allows you to manage and collect all needed information by the areas of the user's responsibility. For example; each of my projects has its own section, in which each page is a task.
  • Using the search functionality isn't comfortable; the search is run from a small text box at the corner of the window, and results are listed there as a narrow list of pages, without the context of the search-terms (no snippet, in other words). Searching by Tags is also uncomfortable and not intuitive.
  • Lacking integration with Outlook; because many people are using Outlook as their main tool for time management and self-productivity, it would have been great to have more options to export, or even better, export and link paragraphs to Outlook items like the Calendar and Tasks list.
  • Although there is an option to open an Outlook Task linked to a tag in Onenote, that isn't enough. Also, there is no option to tag people from the organization's directory, and that would have been great, especially for teams that are sharing sections.
  • The Draw options are not as far-reaching as in other Microsoft product (e.g. Word). Especially important is the option to group objects together and keep them as one image.
Organizing data and information objects, according to your own logic of structure. For example, organizing all info about the cases you are working on, so each case will have a dedicated section or a page. Collaborating with colleagues who are working together on a project, so they can share a notebook, a section, or a page, and from there share meetings notes, lists of action items, links to other resources, and more.

Gagan Kanwar | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 13, 2018

OneNote - Move faster by remembering what's next

OneNote is being used by a mix of people across teams and departments. It's not being used universally by all teams and functions. OneNote is great for making and organizing meeting notes. It also has a nice iOS app, which makes your notes accessible across devices. Lastly, because it's backed by Microsoft, I feel that my information is a lot safer than it might be with a smaller company that doesn't have Microsoft's resources.
  • It makes it really easy to capture notes in different formats - text, pictures, copy & paste, videos, etc.
  • It makes it really easy to organize notes by using the concept of notebooks - which are thematic ways to organize your notes
  • The mobile app is easy to use and navigate, which means I can always have my notes with me, even if I'm not in front of my computer
  • OneNote should integrate with meeting management tools (e.g. Zoom) and automatically transcribe meetings and provide all attendees with notes
  • OneNote should integrate with workflow processing tools so that any deliverables or goals coming out of a meeting can be captured and tracked against resources & timelines
  • At a corporate level, OneNote should help companies find which employees are SME's in particular areas by analyzing their data and content
OneNote is great for making it really easy to take, organize and access your notes across devices. It's not great for collaboration (which is probably by design). Also, sometimes the interface can be a little slow to work with.
Read Gagan Kanwar's full review

Versioning (31)
Video files (27)
Audio files (29)
Document collaboration (43)
Access control (35)
File search (42)
Device sync (44)
User and role management (24)
File organization (37)
Device management (23)
Performance (39)
Reliability (38)
Storage Reports (16)

About OneNote

Microsoft's OneNote is a digital note-taking app, supporting photos, annotating, web page clipping, emailing, and synchronizing notes across devices.