Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight
I am the only one in my organization using DraftSight. I use it at work for different projects mainly to verify dimensions and I use it personally at home doing shop drawings and as built drawing and some construction drawings. I have used both the Premium 3D as well as standard 2D and found that I was able to use 3D since it is similar to the 2D drafting and you can jump back and forth easily.
- It seamlessly reads and writes dwg files.
- It is reasonably priced.
- You can do 3D as well as 2D drawings.
- It has commands that make sense like makeblock.
- I found it a little difficult to get in touch with someone when I had questions.
- It was a little different from AutoCAD so there was some learning curve.
- Since I am the only one using it, I wish I could have it on two computers, my laptop and desktop, without paying for a full subscription for both.
- I have a side business that I do shop drawings and as builts and I don't do enough to afford AutoCAD. DraftSight allows me to do it affordably.
- I saved enough on the software for 2 projects that I was able to afford upgrading my computer.
- If I don't have more work on the side, paying the annual subscription is tight.
I have used AutoCAD and AutoCAD Light as well as Catia 2D and IBM CADAM for main frame computers. DraftSight is equal to AutoCAD in every function I have used. Catia 2D and IBM CADAM were both superior to AutoCAD and DraftSight because you don't have to scale lines or text. With AutoCAD or DraftSight if you use a dashed or hidden line, you have to set a scale for that line or you can't see that it is anything but a solid line. Catia 2D and IBM CADAM both automatically adjust the scale of lines when you zoom in or out a hidden or dashed or phantom line always show as that particular line. The same with dimensions when you zoom in or out you can always see them.
The price is reasonable compared to other CAD programs. I have used it more for personal than at work and did have to upgrade to a new desk top at home. Again, when you are the only user, it would be nice to be able to have it on more than one computer without paying for a 2nd full price license.