Excellent 2D CAD Software
August 14, 2020
Excellent 2D CAD Software
Technician in Information TechnologyElectrical & Electronic Manufacturing Company, 11-50 employees
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight
DraftSight is being used by individuals in several departments across our organization to create detailed drawings of products we design and manufacture. In the past we used AutoCAD LT for our CAD drawings, but the cost for AutoDesk's AutoCAD software has risen drastically over the years. DraftSight has all of the same features that we used in AutoCAD LT at a much more reasonable price. The annual cost of software needed to run our business was the biggest problem DraftSight addressed. Switching to DraftSight drastically lowered our annual software expenses. After using AutoCAD LT for so long, we were concerned that switching to another solution would mean a steep learning curve for our users. While testing DraftSight, we discovered that it was possible to modify the interface to closely resemble the interface in AutoCAD. Users were able to go from AutoCAD LT to DraftSight overnight without any impact on our productivity.
- Great for creating 2 dimensional CAD drawings.
- Compatible with most file formats used by other 2D CAD solutions.
- Technical support is lacking.
- Product activation needs improvement. It would be nicer if they had a web interface to keep track of and manage your active licenses. If the product isn't deactivated properly before upgrading a workstation, or moving the license to a new workstation, it can become impossible to reactivate that license without contacting technical support. This can be frustrating.
- The Webpage for managing DraftSight subscriptions isn't great. There aren't many options to modify the subscription other than the ability to cancel it or change payment information.
- We cut software costs in half by switching to DraftSight.
- We saved time and money on training since it is so similar to other products we used in the past.
- Unfortunately, getting issues resolved takes longer after switching to DraftSight since technical support is lacking.
DraftSight is comparable to AutoCAD LT and in my opinion they are perfect matched. That being said, DraftSight lacks the 3D CAD features found in AutoCAD. If you need 3D capabilities, DraftSight will not measure up. For your typical 2D CAD drawings, DraftSight is a great, low cost alternative to AutoCAD.
DraftSight is an excellent 2D CAD solution comparable to AutoDesk's AutoCAD LT software, at half the price. DraftSight is great for anyone doing 2D CAD work. The only real drawback I see is that technical support seems to be lacking compared to other products. If that is an issue, then DraftSight may not be a good fit.