Best Data Modeling Tool
January 25, 2019
Best Data Modeling Tool
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with erwin Data Modeler
We are using erwin Data Modeler for initial design, development and deployment phases. We use it to design ER diagrams for our new databases or incorporate change requests into existing. We then forward engineer deployment scripts for erwin directly and deploy it to various database environments. This has helped us version control and release control in our database environments. It is also easier to discuss with functional team by presenting them with ER diagram block instead of talking to them in database language.
- Reverse Engineering: I love the way we can import an SQL file containing schema meta data and generate ER diagram out of it. This is specifically useful if you are implementing erwin Data Modeler for an existing database.
- Forward Engineering: We use this feature very frequently. Where we do database changes in our physical and logical data models and then generate deployment scripts for the changes made.
- Physical vs Logical Models: I like to have my database model split into physical and logical models and at the same time still linked to each other. Any changes you make to logical model or physical model shows up in the other.
- For large models, it gets tedious to print the diagram in a single pdf. I have to often make adjustment and if i use the fit model feature, it kind of changes the alignment of entities in my ER diagram. Erwin may let us make pdf of the model as is.
- I have used reverse engineering using for Oracle schemas. It will be very good if it supports reverse engineering for more vendors, so i can use erwin data modeler for database conversion activities too.
- erwin Data Modeler had been a great tool for our database development and application DBA teams. The thorough data modeling and release control helps us to back trace any issues which are pointed to us at a later stage in the development cycle.
- Initially, some of the team members saw it as an extra effort to maintain data models while they can simply create scripts without models. But overtime, people have realized how it avoids problems and discrepancies over time.
erwin Data Modeler Feature Ratings
Evaluating erwin Data Modeler and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Product Reputation
- Prior Experience with the Product
Prior Experience with the product. I have used this product in past and few other data modeling products, I strongly recommended to chose erwin Data Modeler.
Using erwin Data Modeler
The product is well designed and intuitive to use. The number of buttons and options can look a bit overwhelming initially but they come very handy when you get used to product.
Like to use
Easy to use
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Reverse Engineering: It sounds like a big term, but creating models from SQL scripts is super easy.
- Comparing two schema SQLs. This highlights the differences and helps you incorporate the differences in your model.