Google Authenticator is a mobile authentication app.2FA with Google Authenticator Keeps Things SecureGoogle Authenticator is used for 2FA (2-factor authentication). Google Authenticator displays a frequently-refreshing sequence of numbers that one inputs into the login interface on Gmail to gain access to one's account. It is used across the entire organization and integrates with the Google suite of services/products to keep access secure and limited to organization members. It provides a more reliable form of 2FA than SMS messaging (texts) or phone-call verifications.,Well-supported on mobile devices (Android, iPhone) with reliable app stability. Integrates readily with Gmail and Google Suite. Adds a complementary, supplementary layer of security to access (beyond password input). Can be readily implemented to add 2FA for personal Google accounts.,Setup can be cumbersome for people without experience using 2FA methods. Unable to access authenticator app if you don't have your mobile device available.,9,2FA is a business necessity: it provides another layer of added security to digital resources and information. Reliable security and access restrictions across the organization, and against outside influence/access,Yubico, Authy and LastPass,Yubico, LastPass, Slack, AnacondaThe 1st Choice in 2 Step AuthenticationIn a world where people have to maintain logins and passwords for numerous online tools, Google Authenticator fills a very important void. Google Authenticator enables us to quickly generate a code to verify we are the owners of our accounts. Ultimately, the tool serves a critical function in our two-step verification process which provides us with peace of mind and security.,Simple and easy to use interface. Effortless and reliable mobile app. It always works.,It would be great if it synced directly with LastPass for authentication purposes. Support for more platforms. It would be great to use it on more than one device.,9,Peace of mind knowing we have an additional layer of security. It provides an easy to use way of logging in to web services, without the need of email or physical tokens.,LastPass and Duo Security,Duo SecurityReview: Google AuthenticatorMy experience with Google authenticator is purely from a user standpoint. I have multiple programs I use that utilize Authenticator as a security step. I do not handle establishing Authenticator onto applications.,Authenticator is pretty easy to use. I use the mobile app to log into programs using the supplied code. Authenticator keeps my login processes safe so I don't have to worry about malicious intrusion.,The only complaint I have about this application is how I have to get into a mobile app to access certain programs. If I don't have my phone handy, I need to go find it, and you aren't prompted each time you open the software to use Authenticator, so it's always a gamble.,8,You waste a tiny bit of time opening the app to securely login and use a program or alter account settings, but aside from that, it's a very small price to pay for security.Google Authenticator works great for me.I use Google Authenticator to securely log into my accounts using two-factor authentication. My company consists of just myself. I love Google Authenticator because it is incredibly easy to set up and use. I have 5 different G Suite accounts and numerous social media accounts; I use two-factor authentication on all of them. Having Google Authenticator on my phone makes it incredibly easy to log in wherever I am. After using Google Authenticator for more than five years, I have not had one of my accounts hacked. I always have my phone with me, so there is not an extra device or fob to carry. I recommend wholeheartedly it to anyone who uses two-factor authentication.,Ease of use. Simply open the app and codes are there for all my two-factor protected accounts. Having Google Authenticator as an app on my phone makes it really accessible. Easy set-up. I had the app up and running within 5 minutes.,I have not come across any areas that need improvement for my use case.,10,When I present at conferences, it is a bit cumbersome to have to use it. This is more a factor of 2-factor auth than anything else.,,Camtasia, Snagit, G SuiteGoogle Authenticator easy to set upGoogle Authenticator is used in the IT and marketing departments mostly, and it has been used to give double security to some of the e-mail accounts and other login sites.,It’s very easy to configure. It’s very easy to manage if you have more than one account. It works without internet,You can just sync an account with one device.,9,The positive impact has been that our emails and other login sites are more secure; we haven’t had security problems thank God) so far. The negative impact is that these days, we run out of battery frequently and if something is urgent... you will have to wait until your smartphone turns on again.,,1Password, oneSafe
Google Authenticator

Google Authenticator Reviews

Google Authenticator
Filter 11 vetted Google Authenticator reviews and ratings

Leah Jakaitis profile photo
January 15, 2019

Review: "2FA with Google Authenticator Keeps Things Secure"

• Well-supported on mobile devices (Android, iPhone) with reliable app stability.
  • Integrates readily with Gmail and Google Suite.
  • Adds a complementary, supplementary layer of security to access (beyond password input).
  • Can be readily implemented to add 2FA for personal Google accounts.
  • Setup can be cumbersome for people without experience using 2FA methods.
  • Unable to access authenticator app if you don't have your mobile device available.
Some kind of 2FA is almost always appropriate, but the specific instance may be more or less suited depending on particular security requirements. For instance, working with medical/health information may necessitate a far more stringent security process using other, industry-specific tools (including hardware authenticators). 2FA relies on two factors, rather than 2 inputs (like security questions), and therefore adds an additional layer of security over conventional passwords. 2FA may be overkill for personal accounts.
Read Leah Jakaitis's full review
Dustin Hovey profile photo
November 18, 2018

Google Authenticator Review: "The 1st Choice in 2 Step Authentication"

• Simple and easy to use interface.
  • Effortless and reliable mobile app.
  • It always works.
  • It would be great if it synced directly with LastPass for authentication purposes.
  • Support for more platforms.
  • It would be great to use it on more than one device.
It serves as a valuable tool for business; employees can quickly complete 2 step authentication via the mobile app. It provides us with peace of mind that my (and my clients') information is secure.
Read Dustin Hovey's full review
Chris Hecox profile photo
December 17, 2018

"Review: Google Authenticator"

• Authenticator is pretty easy to use. I use the mobile app to log into programs using the supplied code.
  • Authenticator keeps my login processes safe so I don't have to worry about malicious intrusion.
  • The only complaint I have about this application is how I have to get into a mobile app to access certain programs. If I don't have my phone handy, I need to go find it, and you aren't prompted each time you open the software to use Authenticator, so it's always a gamble.
I appreciate Authenticator securing programs, but it can be slightly annoying at times. It's the best solution I'm aware of.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
Karen Chichester profile photo
October 25, 2018

Review: "Google Authenticator works great for me."

• Ease of use. Simply open the app and codes are there for all my two-factor protected accounts.
  • Having Google Authenticator as an app on my phone makes it really accessible.
  • Easy set-up. I had the app up and running within 5 minutes.
  • I have not come across any areas that need improvement for my use case.
When I log in to my personal account at school, I can log in securely and quickly. It also works when I log in to Facebook or another Google account. The only time I have had problems was when I misplaced my phone. I spent the day out of contact. However, this would be a problem for any device that I have to carry even if it is on my keychain or a lanyard.
Read Karen Chichester's full review
November 30, 2018

User Review: "Google Authenticator easy to set up"

• It’s very easy to configure.
  • It’s very easy to manage if you have more than one account.
  • It works without internet
  • You can just sync an account with one device.
It’s appropriate for all scenarios...business or personal, it works very well. We have never had any problems with it in our company. The only problem is when your smartphone or device runs out of battery, but besides that... everything goes well.

Google Authenticator Scorecard Summary

About Google Authenticator

Google Authenticator is a mobile authentication app.