Google Authenticator Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Christopher Fritz profile photo
We use it as an extra layer of security on specific applications like VPN and so on. We use it in the whole organization and users do not have an option besides using Google Authentication. Everyone has access to a mobile device so everyone can with ease use Google Authentication.
  • Easy to set-up.
  • Easy to use.
  • Easy to remove.
  • Google Authentication is a brilliant tool that can be easily selected for use in most applications nowadays. This means it is easy to integrate into an existing IT environment.
  • Transferring the account to a new phone is a bit complicated.
  • Sharing an authentication code could be useful.
It is well suited in business situations and private situations as well. I personally use it in both cases and I really enjoy it and find it easy to use. Security for work and in our life outside work can each affect both. So the availability in different applications makes it a very attractive piece of software.
Read Christopher Fritz's full review
Google Authenticator is being used as a two-step authentication for user accounts. It provides another layer of security when logging into my user accounts and works similar to how two-step authentication using a text message verification code would work.
  • An extra layer of security for your user accounts
  • The two-step verification can be a code from your phone or a USB drive as a security key
  • Once you lose access to your device you will be locked out of whatever accounts that you had set up to use with this app
  • Can't transfer the codes to another device
It's great as a device-specific security code for authentication and good for an employee or business user with a business phone, etc. It would be less appropriate for an everyday user that switches phones often, depends on multiple devices, etc.
Google Authenticator is being used across the entire company as a multi-factor authenticator.
  • Google Authenticator: easy deployment and integration with different platforms and applications.
  • Ease of use from the user perspective.
  • Backed by Google security and ISO compliance.
  • Ability to import and save barcodes.
  • Missing the ability to copy the code and use it within the different mobile apps within the specified time frame.
  • Ability for administrators to push the code and manage user support.
Google Authenticator is very well suited for an organization using G-suite and Android platforms. It has full integration with IOS platforms as well. It is least appropriate if you are using Google Authenticator to authenticate on an app on the same platform. With limited code expiry timer, it usually times out before you authenticate on other applications on the same device.
We found we really wanted to secure more of the logins at our company, and some of the other authenticator apps either froze up or wouldn't recognize the programs we were using. We implemented Google Authenticator as a one-stop-shop to enable 2FA in an easily adaptable, quick way across the company. All departments utilize Google Authenticator.
  • Easy to set up: this is helpful because no one likes trying to set up glitchy tools for something they know will make their lives harder.
  • Compatible across numerous platforms: I can use it with email, with Salesforce, and I never have to worry if I'll need a secondary program.
  • Easy to use: doesn't freeze up, works in real-time, and I never have to worry about missing a text for a confirmation code.
  • I wish Google would work with partners more to make it easier to know if I can use Google Authenticator.
  • This is lame but I wish the branding on the app reminded me more of Google than it does. I almost always go "where is this?" because I don't recognize the logo of the app.
  • I'd love to see an "authorize app" button vs HAVING to put in the code. LastPass Authenticator has this and it's great.
Google Authenticator is great for companies or groups of people that want to secure their logins, like if they travel a lot and there's the possibility their laptop could get into the wrong hands, or anyone dealing with a lot of data that needs to be protected because if your account gets hacked it's just a good extra level of security. In my opinion, I wouldn't use it unless I had actual data I needed to protect. If you're mostly worried about passwords I'd do Last Pass so the passwords are encrypted and such. So in my opinion, it's good for businesses that have a lot of people with different phones and such, less great for personal use.
We currently use Google Authenticator to assist with Okta single sign-on on our mobile devices to allow us to securely access work applications like Gmail, Google Drive, and various other programs that have apps that are downloadable to a smartphone. It's used by the entire company and allows IT to easily manage security.
  • Very easy and straight forward to use.
  • Simple to install and set-up.
  • Great security.
  • May take some help from IT to get installed for less experienced users.
Google Authenticator is a great app that's simple and quick to use to easily verify and login to company apps and sites on a mobile device. It's the perfect one-stop solution to verify identities and credentials. For most, it is easy to download and set up with minimal assistance from IT. For some less experienced users, it may require one phone call to IT to complete the installation.
June 13, 2019

Excellent 2-step

Google Authenticator is used as a 2-step verification method for all account authentications with various software services that support its use. There are numerous forms of 2-step verification and so the entire organization is not making use of this particular method. It, along with the other methods, provides an added layer of security that is necessary within an enterprise as a security best practice.
  • 2-step verification
  • Convenience as an app
  • None. It works really well and does its job.
Google Authenticator is well suited as a method for 2-step verification for authentication requests to various software systems. It is more convenient to use than a hardware security key (FIDO) since it is just an app installed on your mobile phone rather than a separate piece of hardware. With that said, it is not as secure as a hardware key.
Ravinder Gupta profile photo
We are using Google Authenticator for 2SV (Two Step Verification) for internal application login pages. This way, we are preventing any hacker throttling our applications and overloading it, thereby making it hard to use for real users. This is being used for our current client only for a particular system transformation project we are working on.

Google Authenticator uses TOTP (time-based OTP) and HOTP (HMAC based OTP) algorithms. The product is very reliable and easy to implement.
  • Easy implementation: The product is very easy to implement both from embedding it into the application and from end users using it via their smartphones.
  • You can use Google Authenticator to manage multiple two-factor authentication keys.
  • Easy to add keys options: You can scan a QR code to set up 2FA in Google Authenticator. You can also do a manual entry using the unique key provided by the application you are setting up 2FA for.
  • I once performed a factory reset of my smartphone which had Google Authenticator. I didn't have a backup for the device. When I restored my phone with the same google account, I was not able to restore the authenticator app settings. I had to add all the keys back into the app to use it. This is cumbersome, but I understand it is set up this way for security reasons.
  • I don't like the ease with which it lets you delete a key. If I accidentally delete a key, I am doomed to get my 2FA key reset, unless I still have the QR code saved somewhere.
Google Authenticator is cost effective and easy to configure. It is a reliable two-factor authentication device. It also lets you chose between TOTP and HOTP by turning on/off the time-based feature.
Read Ravinder Gupta's full review
Nathan Sichilongo profile photo
Google Authenticator is used in authenticating our passwords to specific portals. Using 2FA and Google Authenticator, it makes our work of accessing sensitive information and accounts easier. Also adding 2FA & GA to accounts helps us control who has access to accounts especially for users who have usually set weak passwords.
  • Google Authenticator is fairly simple to use. The interface is intuitive and the setup process is easy, simply open and add an account. You can download the app and secure your accounts within 5 minutes.
  • I like that authentication is fairly straightforward. In some cases, you may need to enter a six-digit code, but in many instances, it's a simple yes/no selection and someone can log into their account.
  • The app itself is also fast, you barely notice any delay between setting it up and getting a 2FA confirmation. One of the beauties of 2FA apps like Google Authenticator is that you get near instant notification when asked to authenticate accounts.
  • While I like that Google Authenticator is a 2FA app, I find that some websites need a different kind of authenticator like LastPass or Microsoft's Authenticator. It would be great if you could add all your sites into one app instead of having multiple apps.
  • For 2FA to work effectively you need to have your phone on you. One thing I noticed is when you reset your phone or change phones, you have to create all your logins again and get codes for each one. It seems a bit tedious but if there was one account that I could sign into and then use for 2FA instead of losing all my information when I change phones or reset it.
If you work with a lot of Google-based products and the G Suite, you can benefit from using Google Authenticator. It is especially true if you share sensitive company information and need to make sure your accounts are secure. It also works with AWS (Amazon Web Services) and other services, however, if you use Microsoft Outlook and other Microsoft services, you would be served better by Microsoft's own Authenticator app.
Read Nathan Sichilongo's full review
Leah Jakaitis profile photo
Google Authenticator is used for 2FA (2-factor authentication). Google Authenticator displays a frequently-refreshing sequence of numbers that one inputs into the login interface on Gmail to gain access to one's account. It is used across the entire organization and integrates with the Google suite of services/products to keep access secure and limited to organization members. It provides a more reliable form of 2FA than SMS messaging (texts) or phone-call verifications.
  • Well-supported on mobile devices (Android, iPhone) with reliable app stability.
  • Integrates readily with Gmail and Google Suite.
  • Adds a complementary, supplementary layer of security to access (beyond password input).
  • Can be readily implemented to add 2FA for personal Google accounts.
  • Setup can be cumbersome for people without experience using 2FA methods.
  • Unable to access authenticator app if you don't have your mobile device available.
Some kind of 2FA is almost always appropriate, but the specific instance may be more or less suited depending on particular security requirements. For instance, working with medical/health information may necessitate a far more stringent security process using other, industry-specific tools (including hardware authenticators). 2FA relies on two factors, rather than 2 inputs (like security questions), and therefore adds an additional layer of security over conventional passwords. 2FA may be overkill for personal accounts.
Read Leah Jakaitis's full review
Chris Hecox profile photo
My experience with Google authenticator is purely from a user standpoint. I have multiple programs I use that utilize Authenticator as a security step. I do not handle establishing Authenticator onto applications.
  • Authenticator is pretty easy to use. I use the mobile app to log into programs using the supplied code.
  • Authenticator keeps my login processes safe so I don't have to worry about malicious intrusion.
  • The only complaint I have about this application is how I have to get into a mobile app to access certain programs. If I don't have my phone handy, I need to go find it, and you aren't prompted each time you open the software to use Authenticator, so it's always a gamble.
I appreciate Authenticator securing programs, but it can be slightly annoying at times. It's the best solution I'm aware of.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
Google Authenticator is used in the IT and marketing departments mostly, and it has been used to give double security to some of the e-mail accounts and other login sites.
  • It’s very easy to configure.
  • It’s very easy to manage if you have more than one account.
  • It works without internet
  • You can just sync an account with one device.
It’s appropriate for all scenarios...business or personal, it works very well. We have never had any problems with it in our company. The only problem is when your smartphone or device runs out of battery, but besides that... everything goes well.
Dustin Hovey profile photo
In a world where people have to maintain logins and passwords for numerous online tools, Google Authenticator fills a very important void. Google Authenticator enables us to quickly generate a code to verify we are the owners of our accounts. Ultimately, the tool serves a critical function in our two-step verification process which provides us with peace of mind and security.
  • Simple and easy to use interface.
  • Effortless and reliable mobile app.
  • It always works.
  • It would be great if it synced directly with LastPass for authentication purposes.
  • Support for more platforms.
  • It would be great to use it on more than one device.
It serves as a valuable tool for business; employees can quickly complete 2 step authentication via the mobile app. It provides us with peace of mind that my (and my clients') information is secure.
Read Dustin Hovey's full review
Karen Chichester profile photo
I use Google Authenticator to securely log into my accounts using two-factor authentication. My company consists of just myself. I love Google Authenticator because it is incredibly easy to set up and use. I have 5 different G Suite accounts and numerous social media accounts; I use two-factor authentication on all of them. Having Google Authenticator on my phone makes it incredibly easy to log in wherever I am. After using Google Authenticator for more than five years, I have not had one of my accounts hacked. I always have my phone with me, so there is not an extra device or fob to carry. I recommend wholeheartedly it to anyone who uses two-factor authentication.
  • Ease of use. Simply open the app and codes are there for all my two-factor protected accounts.
  • Having Google Authenticator as an app on my phone makes it really accessible.
  • Easy set-up. I had the app up and running within 5 minutes.
  • I have not come across any areas that need improvement for my use case.
When I log in to my personal account at school, I can log in securely and quickly. It also works when I log in to Facebook or another Google account. The only time I have had problems was when I misplaced my phone. I spent the day out of contact. However, this would be a problem for any device that I have to carry even if it is on my keychain or a lanyard.
Read Karen Chichester's full review

About Google Authenticator

Google Authenticator is a mobile authentication app.