• Setup fee optional

32 people want pricing too

What is The Okta Identity Cloud?

Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built in the cloud. IT can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or whether the applications are in the cloud, on premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps IT become…

What is Cisco Secure Access by Duo?

Cisco Secure Access, by Duo is a two-factor authentication system (2FA), acquired by Cisco in October 2018. It provides single sign-on (SSO) and endpoint visibility, as well as access controls and policy controlled adaptive authentication.

Google Authenticator Technical Details

Alternatives

Google Authenticator is a mobile authentication app.

What is Google Authenticator's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.6.

Who uses Google Authenticator?

The most common users of Google Authenticator are from Mid-size Companies and the Information Technology & Services industry.

Gregory Palenschat | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Google Authenticator mainly for stronger security. I use it at work and at home. It just gives me that extra layer of protection and over the years it has protected me in ways that just having a simple password can. I use it for my work apps and games at home.
  • It gives you an extra layer of protection beyond a password.
  • I love that it is an app on my phone so it is easily accessible from anywhere.
  • It keeps all of my codes in one place.
  • It runs on only a few platforms, specifically Android, iOS, and Blackberry and in my opinion it needs to be available on every platform that is out there.
  • SA drawback I have noticed is that if you swap phones you have to blitz the entire app and go back and sync up all the accounts again which can be very frustrating for new users.
  • It can also be risky ( for some ) having all all your data centralized in one place.
For me, it is important to have all of my data centralized and it works well with my Anti Virus to have it that way. If you just have one or two passcodes that you are trying to protect I would not recommend the Google Authenticator. In my opinion, this is for individuals who need to store multiple passcodes for multiple reasons.
We use Google Authenticator as a secondary security measure with security-sensitive sites. Each member of my team uses their own authentication app. Google Authenticator provides us with increased security, particularly with sites where increased security is necessary. Such as with financial institutions, and other highly sensitive companies or organizations on the world wide web.
  • Offers increased security
  • Verifies authenticity of user
  • Gives as sense of peace and security to its users
  • Helps companies verify users
  • Doesn't always work with every application (not sure why)
  • I'm not sure where else it needs to improve
Google Authenticator is extremely well suited for anyone (at any time) who is signing into a site that requires higher than average security. GA verifies that you are the user by sending you a time-sensitive code to your phone. I suppose they could increase security by making you sign into the GA app every time a code is sent...
Matt Hoffman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We've been using Google Authenticator for years. It's one of the easiest ways to ensure two-factor authentication.

We use it to access all work-related accounts, including shared accounts which we have multiple of.
  • New code generated about every 30 seconds.
  • Backup codes are provided.
  • Easy login via a normal google account.
  • Very basic UI.
  • Doesn't give the option to refresh code if only a few seconds remain.
  • Sometimes glitchy.
[It] allows you to add an additional layer of protection to any account supported. I prefer using Authenticator compared to normal SMS 2-factor [authentication], as there's less of a risk of potentially losing access to an account. Pairing this with a password database such as KeePass allows you to have the highest level of protection without going completely overboard.
Pretty Varughese | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Google Authenticator for adding a layer of security in the existing environment. We have configured Google Authenticator with network devices & mobile device management to access the data securely over remote network. We are using Google Authenticator across all the departments. We are also using it to integrate with our secure web-app login.
  • Easy to integrate
  • Time Sync options is easy
  • Third-party tools integrations
  • Need to build library for third party tools integrations
Google Authenticator is recommended for everyone as it provides additional security to the infrastructure & also it is easy to integrate with third party tools. Also it is cost effective & easy to manage with app functions also.
Arti Agrahari | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Google Authenticator for two-factor authentication of our network devices as well as the Mobile Device Management solution. Google Authenticator is easy to integrate & prevents bad actors unauthorize[d] access in our environment. We are using it across all the departments & configured it as a google chrome plugin as well as on mobile app.
  • High availability & secure.
  • App based solution & easy to configure for everyone.
  • Easy to sync & add new application via QR code.
  • Time synchronization not work properly sometime.
Google Authenticator is the need of the hour as due to pandemics most of our users are working from home & cyber attacks are also rapidly increasing nowadays. So having an additional layer of security with Google Authenticator is really good. Also, it has high availability & easy to configure.
Vinit Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Google Authenticator for Two Factor Authentication for our application as well as cloud services. We have integrated it with Network Devices for Two layers of security. We have also configured it for our AWS user logins for MFA. After using Google Authenticator it helps us to protect our network as well as our resources.
  • Multi Factor Authentication
  • Easy to Configure via QR Code
  • The Session timeout after code generate is good for security measures
  • We can add multiple accounts with a single application
  • We face sync issues sometimes
  • Browser plugin crash most of the times
Google Authenticator is easy to configure & Manage in easy to large infrastructure as well. You can easily integrate it with third-party software for 2FA. Adding an additional layer of security always helps. Also, it helps us to integrate into the Mobile Device management solution of our organization.
Neha Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
Everyone want[s] more security for their personal and professional devices. Two-way authentication is one of the best option[s] for secur[ing] you[r] device and applications. Google Authenticator [is the] best option for everyone who want[s] dual authentication. You can connect it easy and configure [it] with any device or application and it generate[s] the code timely. We are using this application for our devices for more security.
  • Easy to configure.
  • QR code.
  • More secure.
  • Easy to connect with any application and device.
  • Face lots of time code sync issue.
  • Not responding or crash issues.
I am using this application for my organization's devices and connect all the network and server devices with this. All are connected with two way authentication. So my devices are now more secure as compare[d] to normal credentials.
Basant Gupta | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google-authenticator is an application that provides two-way authentication for your devices. You can eas[ily] connect your devices with this software. This is time-based software that provides the six-digit code and is continually synced with your devices, mak[ing] your devices more secure. I am using this software for the last 2 years and connected this with almost all devices.
  • No need expert to configure and manage.
  • Provides more security.
  • Backup option.
  • Password protected option.
  • Generate multiple codes in one software.
  • Google sync time issue.
  • Take[s] time to open.
In my organization I was worr[ied] for my devices, which are single username and password protected. Anyone can easy to open. I added the google authentication with all my applications, all my devices and now I am feel[ing] relaxed for security. This is very easy to configure and everyone can manage this. You don't need any expert guy for configur[ing] this.
Christopher Sawyer | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used indirectly as a two-step verification service is needed for certain software applications that are in use. I have also used it at a previous company as a way to provide authentication for services like Amazon Web Services and Okta. I use it at home for personal apps as well.
  • Easy to setup and use.
  • QR code scan ability.
  • No issues have occurred.
  • Password-less functionality.
  • Ability to re-order codes.
  • Ability to organize/ add folders.
Google Authenticator is a simple and easy-to-use app that can be used by various applications to provide two-step verification. It is also more convenient than carrying around a physical key fob. Or it can be used to increase the security of sites you most likely already use like Amazon.
Arcoma L. Lambert | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Authenticator allows us to be assured that no one can get into our accounts without our phone to let them in. With the two-step authentication, it is not as easy for hackers to do damage to our business. Hackers will always be smarter, and we need Google Authenticator on our side to combat them.
  • It's secure.
  • It's easy to use.
  • It's app-based.
  • Time synchronization doesn't work sometimes.
  • Getting a new phone causes issues.
When you are looking for cybersecurity, you have to trust your provider. Google is the top tier of trust. They have made it their business to be on the cutting edge of innovation and trust. Google Authenticator works with the suite of other Google products to round out the experience. It runs on all devices and is easy to install.
Christine May Bustamante | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Authenticator is used across my organization. We use it as an addition to our password which adds an additional layer of security. Personally, I use it for other applications as well and this makes it a lot easier since I only need one app for the OTPs.
  • It's easy to scan QR codes.
  • Single view for all the OTPs.
  • You can import OTPs to other devices.
  • Provide an additional feature to give out the next OTP.
Personally, I use Google Authenticator for my financial applications. Every time I log in, I'm asked for the 6-digit pin and it's always been an easy process locating the OTPs for me. The application's user interface is really simple to understand. The authenticator is fast and very simple to use and I think this would work in any environment.
Stacey Medina | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google Authenticator as a two factor login for our Ubiquiti Dashboard. It is used by our IT department. We also use it for vendor secure portal logins. It is used by several of the sales and quality employees. The business problem is address is the extra layer of security needed for secure logins.
  • It is very easy to use and configure.
  • Easy install.
  • It has a great range of compatibility.
  • Interface is bland.
  • No availability of branding.
  • More training on importance of use.
Google Authenticator is great for any two factor login scenario. If have an option to use it use it to consolidate all your two factor logins. Another scenario to where Google Authenticator is well suited is home use also, it can protect your personal gmail account. I would not recommend it when a company offers their own that syncs with their servers.
We use Google Authenticator for several programs in our tech department. It helps prevent unauthorized access to our Google admin portal as well as our remote software. It's a great software and easy and to use and gives us confidence that our accounts will not be hacked from someone outside our department.
  • Security.
  • Ease of use.
  • Great software.
  • Takes time to log in.
Works great for access to email or the Google admin app.
Pardeep Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Authenticator is software that provides us two-factor authentication. You can use this with the website, cloud-based application, any application, network devices, etc. With the help of this, you can change single login to multi-factor login. I am working in an organization where I use this software for our websites and network device authentication.
  • One-time password
  • More secure
  • Time-based password generation
  • QR code
  • Easy to connect with any third-party application
  • Lots of times stuck during work
  • Code mismatch due to time sync issue
I always recommend Google Authenticator to any organization where they using singe sign in for login. With the help of this, you can make your infrastructure and application more secure. No one can access your devices or applications with this one-time password.
rahul Verma | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Authenticator is a security application which we use to generate the two factor authentication for user sign-in to the applications. Most of my clients are using this software to secure their mobile applications, cloud applications and network and server devices. With the help of this we can divide the login stage into two steps. In the first you will enter your username and password and in the second we will enter the one-time password. It means that now our applications and devices are more secure.
  • Time based code generated. You will get new unique code after 30 sec.
  • You can configure through QR code.
  • You can easily to take backup.
  • You can combine lots of codes in one application and use it.
  • Very easy to use.
  • Connect with third party applications.
  • Very secure.
  • Sometimes face code sync issue because this is connected with Google clock.
  • Many times takes time to open.
I think this is the best software and every organization should use this. Your devices are not secure only through single login. You have added two factors for more security. If any organization has many devices and servers then they can use this for 2 factor authenticator for more security.
Mochammad Zachri | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our business is using Google Authenticator in our platform. We use it as an One Time Password (OTP) alternative along with Short Message Service (SMS) and WhatsApp Notification Messages. Google Authenticator is solving the problem when our notification server can't send SMS/WA for OTP, it works offline too! No problem without internet connection, it still works!
  • Offline support.
  • Easy access.
  • Multi platform.
  • Easy transfer from devices.
  • Sync with Google account.
  • Option for the refresh duration.
Google Authenticator is good for One Time Password alternatives than SMS/WhatsApp/email, users just need to have Google Authenticator on their mobile (Android/iOS). They just need to scan Auth QR Codes to save their own security codes, and Google Authenticator will generate OTP code every 30 seconds.
May 01, 2021

Great app

Manuela Jacqueline Mercado Rodríguez | TrustRadius Reviewer
This app is an important resource for securing accounts by saving and generating tokens. We recommend it for all users not only in an organization.
  • Saves tokens.
  • Generates codes.
  • Associates them with accounts automatically.
  • If you lost your phone you will lose all the info. There is no association with the Google Account. Data is saved locally.
If you are sure you will not lose your phone or if you can do a backup, you can use it. Since data is saved locally, there is no risk of a third party accessing the data.
Multi-factor authentication is essentially a non-negotiable when it comes to cybersecurity. However, not everyone can afford to invest in managed per-user licenses. Google Authenticator is a great solution in these use-cases because it's free, widely supported, and available for almost any mobile device. We recommend this solution for our residential clients and small businesses with tight technology budgets.
  • Free.
  • Easy to use with most two-factor authentication options.
  • Compatible with most mobile devices.
  • Several issues with clients losing their keys due to lack of auto-backup.
  • Lack of central management.
  • Cannot do push notifications for non-Google sites.
Google is well-suited for the residential or home office user. The app is free and easy to use immediately after downloading onto the mobile device. In limited cases, it would also be well-suited for the small business with a tight budget. I would not recommend Google Authenticator in larger organizations that need central management and in-depth monitoring of security.
We use Google Authenticator across the university - we are Google based platform - so it helps us to ensure we have only those authorized to be part of the university in our network. It helps to ensure that those who are logging in and using our infrastructure should be there. We have been able to us this to identify potential threats to our system with someone misusing our network.
  • One strength is in how it checks identity to stop unwanted people from getting access.
  • Another strength is in cutting down on the frustration of users for the authentication process.
  • With the pandemic and needing to work away from the office it also provided additional security in keeping our network/infrastructure safe.
  • One thing that would help would be more information pertaining to changing of passwords. Sometimes those passwords and the requirements are not always known or remembered from time to time.
  • Sometimes its frustrating to have to constantly acknowledge that you have signed in from another device or computer - which comes with the territory in our day and age - but maybe making it more user friendly to understand how to remember a device that you will use more than once.
It works well in the university or educational setting because you constantly have new people coming into the realm whether they are students or faculty. So it seems to be well suited for this type of business. I also have my own business and have suggested this for a client who has less employees, but still needs to maintain security. I think it works in many different applications, but it depends on the platforms the business has decided to go with. Using Google Authenticator works well in our organization and it works in several of my clients' businesses too.
Google Authenticator is used across the whole organization for two-factor authentication to different services used by the company, using the employees' mobile phones to run the app.
  • Increases security.
  • Easy to use.
  • Integrated into many websites.
  • Cannot backup app data.
  • No desktop app.
Google Authenticator is well suited for any company or person wishing to secure their logins using two-factor authentication.
The app is much more secure than using SMS or email for two-factor authentication and is easy to install and friendly to use.
Our company is doing some of the legwork to get some of our accounts set up with two factor authentication and make them more secure for our employees. Google Authenticator is at the top of our list as an option to get this done in the most seamless way.
  • Great user interface upon login.
  • Adding accounts is simple.
  • Love the QR code feature.
  • The way it's set up you always need your phone on you.
  • Lose your phone and you won't be able to get your authenticator account info back.
It's a very simple idea and it's executed well. It's easy to add accounts and once you get it set up and use it you'll be surprised how much you rely on it. Authenticator is available for iOS and android, so any and all of your employees should be able to use it with little setup and little training needed.
We use a lot of online services that require login, and the best way to secure the credentials is by using 2 factor authentication.<br><br>Google Authenticator is the simplest and most accessible solution for most users, and the one I usually recommend my coworkers, as all you need is a Google or GSuite account, which everyone has.
  • Easy to use.
  • Compatible with any phone.
  • Known provider that's easy to trust.
  • Sync across devices in real time, to computer for example
  • Allow exporting the data to be able to migrate to other apps
If you want an easy to use, easy to recommend and reliable solution for 2FA, this is a great go-to.
If you want some more advanced features I'd go with Authy, or another solution that offers stuff like sync, export, privacy-first focus etc.

Additionally, some services only allow the use of text messages, which is a shame.. But for those Google Authenticator (or any other app) won't work anyway.
Google Authenticator has a mixed usage over many departments, competing with other products such as Twilio Authy for dominance. It provides quick and easy access to 2 factor authentication codes for a range of apps in use over the entire business.
  • Free.
  • Works with almost all apps.
  • Over-reliance on Google feels like a negative.
  • Not as smooth or platform independent as something like Twilio Authy.
It works well for more senior members of staff who just want to get their codes quickly. It is very bare bones with nowhere to get lost and little additional features. As a general rule, we tend to push people towards using Twilio Authy over Google Authenticator because it keeps the simplicity while providing usage on multiple devices at once with improved security.
We are using Microsoft services (Office365, SharePoint, OneDrive, etc.) for daily routines. We do not use Google Services (apart from Google Cloud Platform). However, I was using Google Authenticator application to make sure second-factor authentication for my personal google account. So, as such, we are not solving any business problem with Google Authenticator.
  • This application makes life easy because you need only one app for all the two-factor authentication requirements.
  • It is extremely lightweight and needs no internet. This really helps when mobile runs out of network coverage due to some blind spots at office premises.
  • You can manage multiple accounts with a single application. Adding this account is quite intuitive and easy. QR scan is also a great plus in this aspect.
  • It does not have any option of cloud syncing. So, if you have multiple smart phones, you will have to setup same things on each smart phone. This is painful.
  • There is no additional security for Google Authenticator like biometric[s] or [a] passcode. So, it makes the job of malware easy as the application is open. This is more serious for Android users.
  • It adds trouble when you lose your device. The only way is to have your backup codes handy. Because of this reason, I stopped using it.
Though two-factor authentication is a primary need for additional security, Google Authenticator is not doing the job up to the mark. It brings the simplicity of the UX but major functional aspects like cloud backup and sync across devices are missing. The other applications (specially Authy) do this job exceptionally well. If you are a Google fan, you can go with it however, [it's] worth exploring other apps for this purpose.
For 2-level security of used applications we recommend our users to use this and this ensures security is not compromised.
  • Easy to install and use.
  • Available on all platforms.
  • User friendly.
  • GUI can be improved.
  • Backup.
  • Notification features.
2 levels of security authentication.