Overall Satisfaction with IBM Cognos
My organization is a consulting firm, and an IBM Premier Partner. My business unit specializes in the resale and implementation of IBM Business Analytics products, solutions and services to our clientele.
- IBM Cognos integrates a multitude of data sources across an enterprise into a single, manageable reporting and analytics environment.
- IBM Cognos integrates with and leverages enterprise directory systems to enable data, and object security within the reporting envrionment.
- IBM Cognos provides implementation and deployment options that support scalability to grow with your enterprise.
- While vast improvements have been made in recent releases, IBM Cognos still lags behind some of its competitors in the area of mobile.
- As with many other enterprise-scale software suites,, IBM Cognos' many moving parts and integration pieces result in some unintended functionality and feature flaws from time to time.
- IBM's standing in the Business Analytics market place makes for a great bridge to position our products and offerings to our clientele.
- The low footprint deployment (from the consumer's perspective) allows for organization to grow and scale their application and deployemnts relatively painlessly, and cost-effectively.
I myself have been exposed to Microstrategy, Business Objects, and Microsoft BI. While I do find strenghts in all of these tools, one area I do believe that IBM Cognos has distinct advantages when deployed in an environment where integration with other IBM products (AIX, DB2, WebSphere App Server , for example) are in play.
IBM's current investment in IBM Cognos Business Analytics tools are in the process of taking the product suite from already being a leader in the market place, to truly standing out in the cutting edge of the Business Analytics platform arena. The last 2 or 3 releases alone have shown staggering improvements in the areas of visualizations, mobile capabilities, and customization. The future for IBM Cognos is surely to be a positive one, given the direction that IBM is taking its product suite, and I certainly look forward to being a part of it.
For security-dependent business analytics solutions that require integration with differing data sources across an enterprise, and that will be deployed to a variety of consumers, with different roles, analytic consumption needs and methods, IBM Cognos should most certainly be in the top contenders.