June 04, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with IBM Sametime
IBM Sametime is being used globally in almost all departments from down to top in our company. We use it as a instant messenger to communicate with internal staff only in our day to day work. It is not the only instant messenger tool in our company but the most widely used one for sure.
- The license cost is comparatively low so almost all staff have it installed in our company. We can use it to contact all internal staff.
- It’s light and fast with almost no downtime. It also provides easy to use APIs for the user to build automation process on it. We have an internally built robot running on Sametime to answer frequently asked questions and do some repetitive tasks.
- Chat history can be saved as per user’s preference and it is easy to be searched.
- Whenever I drop Sametime and relogin, I have to ask somebody else to invite me to chat rooms. It would be great to have a function to show me which chat room(s) I was previously on and give me an option to rejoin by Sametime itself.
- Not always able to see chat history in chat room. If the invitor forget to check allow to see chat history, or the history the invitor cannot be seen, I will not be able to see.
- Can not send files via Sametime.
- Easy for day to day communication with internal staff.
- Has API provided for the user to build automation processes. We have an internal robot running on Sametime to do repetitive tasks.
We use Jabber globally in our company and Symphony (no relevant app in able list) in some of the teams as well. All these are instant messenger tools, but Sametime is the easiest one to be used and its chat history is easy to be searched. Sametime can be used to contact almost all internal staff as it’s included in default computer package. Symphony is used to chat with front end business while Jabber is used for call.
Sametime is good at day to day communication. It’s fast, simple and easy to use, especially good for text or even screen capture communications. However, it does not support attachments. If we need to discuss file content with other parties, we can either capture a screen or send the attachment via email which is not very efficient, especially during a crisis.