We currently use M-Files to organize and maintain our CAD and drawing libraries. It is used by myself and our other engineers. M-Files make finding and accessing data quick and easy by being able to search a variety of options.
- Finding files based on description, part numbers, etc.
- Finding related files, parts, and drawings when searching an assembly or part. It can tell you all the places a file is used.
- Being able to rollback to a previous version if a mistake is made or a previous design worked better.
- The only real problem I've had with M-Files in during setup. Sometimes it just doesn't want to connect to the server and I would get an error saying the DNS Server could not be found. It was a real pain. I called M-Files for support and they tried to help me out but to no avail. Eventually I got it to work fine by re-installing everything multiple times. I'd say the setup can be a bit of a hassle if things don't go right the first time.
- M-Files has made it possible to respond for requests for part information and drawings much easier. A simple search of either the description, name, or number brings all the results you could need.
- M-Files makes finding where a part is used very easy with its relationships data, making anyone (not just engineers) looking up the information spend less time doing research.
- Overall efficiency is increased simply by the ease of finding information you need.
Compared to using regular folders on a computer M-Files is worlds ahead. It was selected because it could be used to organize our thousands of parts used in our engineering designs and allow us to find them so easily. Its ability to rollback and its relationship listing is also an important aspect.
I would love to continue the use of M-FIles. It it simply simple. There is really no other way to describe it. The only problem is it can get expensive.
M-Files seems to be less suited to organize PDF files that need to be updated. If the PDF is given the same name you end up with multiple copies of the file with the same name. I'd ask about that if you do a lot of PDF files.
4 - Engineering, Purchasing, Management
They were very responsive but I fixed the problem myself.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
No - I can do it myself
I needed to consolidate licences. They did it right away.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using