Overall Satisfaction with MariaDB
We are using MariaDB Enterprise 3-node cluster setup in production with 10.4.13 version and on top of the cluster using max scale router to load balance read/write OLTP traffic. In the 10.4 version, there is a lot of improvement done for InnoDB performance and especially the changes regarding the instance drop of any table fields. I also found very useful the use of the SQL-mode feature for strict typecasting.
- Strict type checking with default mode on for STRICT_TRANS_TABLES
- Instant drop column operation (instant add column is already available), a big part of schema changes can be performed ad hoc
- MariaDB 10.4 will benefit from faster extension of VARCHAR columns, additionally, character set and collation changes on non-indexed columns will be instant.
- MariaDB 10.4 comes with an option for expiring user password
- Galera 26.4 - MariaDB 10.4 will benefit from a new Galera version with features like streaming replication or improved SST thanks to backup locks.
- MariaDB 10.4 you can set SQL-mode = MSSQL
- Explain and analyze works as a separate command as compared to other MySQL products
- With MariaDB setup: we have achieved our high availability objective
- With strict table features enabled as default, we came to know about improvement areas of our lagecy application.