Overall Satisfaction with Meltwater Media Intelligence Platform
The communications team at my company primarily uses Meltwater for the media database. It has a few other functions but at the end of the day we hope to connect with specific people so Meltwater provides the data to do so. Currently it is used only by the communications team as no other team currently has a need.
- Up to date contact information. It is actually relevant and active info, not always the case with others.
- The user interface is better than most tools. While not perfect, it's pretty easy to figure out how to get what you want.
- Their support is excellent. Anytime I've needed help I can call, but better than this, they proactively call and assist.
- Their media monitoring leaves a little to be desired. I find Google Alerts gets as much as they do.
- I wish I could use this more as a CRM but the only thing you can do is create lists and simple notes of your contacts.
- They offer bulk emailing but it's very easy for a recipient to know if they are part of a mass email. Mass emails are not encouraged anyway but this is one of their "selling features."
- Press mentions have a high value, due to finding the right contact info I was able to garner good press.
- If time is money then Meltwater pays for itself in the time you save trying to find contact info.
Cision has a very poor user interface which makes finding what you want a little difficult. In addition, Cision is costly. I have the same amount of features and functionality with Meltwater that I had with Cision but the cost was substantially lower. In addition, I feel that the Meltwater contact database is more complete.
Meltwater works if you need an easy way to find contact info for people of influence. That's where they excel. I would not get it if you are only working with the same individuals from the same places. Growing your network is where this tool really comes to benefit a PR professional.