MS Sharepoint/SQL review
November 29, 2018
MS Sharepoint/SQL review
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with MS SharePoint / SQL
Microsoft SharePoint/SQL is currently being used by our organization by almost all the departments as it proves to be a very standard platform. It helps in maintaining data on the portal with security and ease of use.It is a very handy and a powerful tool that can be used by almost anyone in the organization even though they dont know how to operate it. It helps maintain data and documents easily without us hiring someone to create portals and use advanced programming to achieve the same.
- Ease of use - It is very easy to use and can be used by almost anyone with any hierarchy. This helps us save money and not hire programmers.
- It can be integrated with other applications to create more robust and difficult reports.
- It can be role based and secure. This helps restrict all users from making changes.
- It has mobile support. It has a responsive design that can be automatically incorporated with mobile devices.
- Integration with other tools is not very easy. We were trying to extract reports from QC and post them on SP and found it difficult to accomplish.
- The design is not very sleek - the design can be potentially improved so that it is intuitive.
- Sometimes sharing and editing files by multiple users can create issues and not save all changes.
MS Sharepoint costs less and stacks up very well with the other tools. It has excellent updates and continuous improvement from microsoft. It has great integration capability with other Microsoft tools. It can also be used to create reports, post URL's, documents, download files and create dashboards. It does not crash and can be easily adapted by any organization.
Data sources can be merged with Sharepoint. However, we have to add plugins and make certain settings to do so. Integration is not very straight forward, it requires more technical skills other than the UI part. Real time data analysis can be done upto a certain level but it is not very specialized with this tool. It can be done only up to a certain extent. Manual functions are required to check real time data. Other tools and .NET would be more preferred comparatively.
Reports can be easily distributed across teams and it also has great role-based features. Security is also significant on this tool. the portal has to be actually accessed to share data. With advanced programming, this can be automated but it would be more preferred to use .NET/C# in that case as that opens a gateway for more flexibility. In-case we look into hiring someone for this tool, we would prefer to go with the regular programming way.
It is still a highly recommended tool as it results in cost saving and you still get a basic structure which can be used up to a certain level. It is less suitable when there are complex reports or reports are required from other tools and databases. In the latter, a separate portal is required.