My Riak Review
December 11, 2015
My Riak Review
Senior Software Engineer
Esperdyne TechnologiesComputer Software, 1-10 employees
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Riak
We are using Riak as a backend to our weekly build cycle that processes data for millions of industrial parts each week. The system that we actually feed to is not always 100% reliable, but we simultaneous feed metadata about each item to Riak to keep as a reliable picture of what our front-end *should* look like. This is also useful for purging old data. We built this system several years ago and have been using it consistently and reliably.
- Reliability -- we rarely have to do anything to maintain our Riak instance. It is just online and available for whatever we throw at it.
- The Riak Python client is an excellent tool and handles parallel writes/reads very well
- There is a large and very receptive community or Riak users and developers who seem to be able to help with most technical questions that have arisen.
- It would be nice if there was a better way to configure Riak for multiple nodes with less manual configuration. Really, it's not a big deal, but I am being asked to write a "con" so this is what I thought of.
- Riak has been a key part of our company's build process for our client's search backend. It is valuable for is in that it provides a reliable way to view the current search index.
Riak works well for us and requires almost no effort to maintain. It is free and has a huge community of developers and users. As long as we have a need for it, we will continue to use it.