Updated February 04, 2015
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SDL Tridion
We use SDL Tridion as the content management system that supports our enterprise-level website. The Web & Interactive team manage the website information architecture, design, content, and strategy using SDL Tridion in support of the organization's online goals and marketing campaigns that drive traffic to our website. W&I are able to extend access to Tridion to individuals in various departments across the organization so that they can author and edit the content on their department-owned sections of the website, allowing them to make changes to the content on their pages as needed with minimal assistance.
- Our organization was able to customize the implementation of SDL Tridion so that it would fit our unique needs for a CMS; it is flexible in this regard, and we are adding new elements all the time to fit changing requirements and marketing goals.
- The user interface for SDL Tridion is very clean, and easy to use. This makes it easier for users with less web experience to navigate and use the CMS tool.
- SDL Tridion integrates well with our back-end organizational systems and applications, making the customer front-end experience seamless, and our back-end processing as smooth as possible.
- The search tool is really helpful when you have a lot of content to manage. We use the search feature all the time to find things we need if we don't immediately know where it is stored; it is a major time-saver.
- Tridion is complicated in enough ways that it makes it difficult to train new users. Therefore, we have to limit the number of people with access to the system since we have not yet implemented Workflow.
- When something goes wrong (items fail to publish, or there is unexpected behavior with components), there is little explanation provided that would point us in the right direction to troubleshoot. As a result, content Authors and Editors have to frequently ask for IT assistance.
- As an organization, we have been able to try out a lot of new marketing ideas as a result of moving to SDL Tridion for our CMS needs. Our previous system was extremely limited in its capabilities, and now we have a lot more freedom to do what we want on our website.
- Our Web team has grown, both in number of employees and overall knowledge and experience, as a result of our increased agility and web capabilities. Our technical expertise has expanded and our organization supports efforts to grow our online channel.
- We have been able to reduce the number of micro-sites that we manage, opting instead to move content over to our main website since we have increased our web capabilities.
SDL Tridion works well for organizations with a large website with a lot of content to continuously create and manage. The use of page templates and component presentations makes creating new pages fairly straightforward. It can be a little cumbersome when it comes to trying to "break from the norm" and build web pages that are outside of the template-driven format; however, there are ways around this to create pages that break away from the normal page-template format of the website. In this regard, SDL Tridion can be pretty flexible, allowing us to create a lot of custom functionality to keep up with constantly changing web trends.
Using SDL Tridion
Our organization has invested a lot into the implementation of SDL Tridion, and it's not likely that we'd abandon it in favor of another system anytime soon. We did a lot of research prior to choosing SDL Tridion to make sure that it was going to be a good fit for our organization; we are confident in our choice.