April 10, 2019
Score 5 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SharePoint Designer
- SP2010 workflows are the easiest way to get a text from a lookup field.
- Workflows are free.
- Fairly easy to use, intuitive interface.
- Branding and CSS styling on the master page.
- Cross-site and cross-site collection lookups.
- Get text from lookup fields in 2013 (or next release). It is cumbersome to need multiple workflows for one task.
- No ability to edit DispForm.aspx, etc.
- Positive: Where we can use it, it saves the cost of a Nintex workflow.
- Negative: Nothing really. It doesn't have all the features I would like, but what it has worked fine.
- Nintex Platform
SharePoint Designer is a free tool. We use it where ever possible.
Well suited for simple workflows and easy conversion of lookup fields to text. Not well suited for complex workflows. Not well suited for cross-site lookups. The issue I am facing is that we have a list of all shop locations. The list lives on the root site of one of our 3 site collections and has many details about each shop. There is also managed metadata with just the shop location name to be used as a lookup field in many lists in all three site collections. This can't be accomplished in SharePoint Designer.