SimpliVity - Simplicity in the server room!
Overall Satisfaction with SimpliVity OmniCube
Currently we have 4 Simplivity OmniCubes in our environment. Two of them are hosing our Virtual Servers and the other two are hosting our VDI environment. We are using this solution to host all of our servers and VDI for the whole organization.
With the Simplivity OmniCubes we have greatly increased our backups as well as made a huge performance gain in our computing. Since everything is in one box we have been able to scale out our environment and made an easier path for upgrading and budgeting as we can add an additional two boxes each year to grow out our environment.
- Deduplication and Compression - SimpliVity keeps the space consumption to a minimum. We currently have 60 servers running virtually and we still have room to grow. This really helps with the backups as we can have longer retention.
- Backups - Ability to keep backups for longer and to create multiple backup policies for a VM is a breeze. You can have a backup policy for each datastore as well as a separate backup policy for the same VM.
- Creating Datastores is very easy. No more messing around with LUNS and iSCSI. Just go to the SimpliVity tab and select create datastore and it's done. You can also increase the datastore on the fly as well as have a datastore bigger than 2TB.
- File level recovery is included as well. The whole backup process in SimpliVity can help you do away with other software.
- A better dashboard to explain where the efficiencies are coming from.
- More types of boxes. Possibly a smaller server just for DR purposes.
- Bigger File level recovery. Currently you can only restore 4GB files at a time.
- Great Return on Investment. No longer need to budget for a SAN, a switch, and a new ESX hosts. Just budget for one box.
- Less server rack space required.
- Less AC requirements as there are less servers in play.
SimpliVity OmniCube supported NVidia Grid cards when we did our POC where Nutanix didn't.
SimpliVity also had a better business case for us as it gave us the DR planning that we wanted as well as a way to be innovating and reduce our space usage in the server room.
SimpliVity also gave us an extended POC to prove that it worked.
SimpliVity Omnicube is well suited in any environment. Especially if you are not currently using any VMware or Hyper-V products. It is a great gateway into the virtualization of your data center. For environments where VMware is currently being used, SimpliVity will be a great addition. Less cabling is required. Better performance is guaranteed.
Two boxes are required as they work as a high availability pair. As the years go by you can simply just add a box or two to grow your environment. You can also get them configured with NVidia Grid cards to bring graphical performance to the VDI environment.