SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM)

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

We are using IPAM as part of our SolarWinds Orion deployment. The main purpose of it is to eliminate the need for spreadsheets. We are able to scan subnets to see what IPs are being used and what aren't. We also added DHCP and DNS servers. When we first started using SolarWinds IP Address Manager we had real small subnets so monitoring DHCP allowed us to set up alerts when there were less than 5 IPs available.
  • See the devices on DHCP you didn't know about
  • Monitor your DHCP scopes, available IPs
  • Monitor your subnets and available IPs
  • Remove the need for spreadsheets
  • The layout of information, DHCP, DNS, and IP are all separated
If you are using spreadsheets to manage your subnets you need SolarWinds IP Address Manager. If you have small scopes for DHCP or any DHCP scopes, IPAM is a great way to manage and monitor those scopes. IPAM can be set up to scan subnets so being able to see and get alerted on new devices is also a great security feature.
SolarWinds has Thwack, which is a great resource as well as its Customer Success Center. Recent updates to the Orion platform have also made updates a breeze.
Michael Gombosi | TrustRadius Reviewer
IPAM is a great tool to see how your IP networks are being used at a high level. You can check out what your DHCP utilizations are or how much of a specific subnet you are using. I put a huge emphasis on useability and organization, so it's great the way you can organize IPs in groups by the site to see the health of your specific locations at a glance.
  • Organization: Great seeing site IP utilization at a glance.
  • DHCP Management: If you pair this with the right alerting you will never run out of IPs at a site.
  • Subnet Management: Similar to DHCP, you can tell when you are going to need to expand your subnets.
  • Built in alerting would take a lot of the guess work out.
  • Sometimes the DHCP utilization doesn't appear to be 100% in sync.
  • As with all modules, theres a cost to use additional features.
I feel as though a program as lite as IPAM is useful no matter if you're big or small. Smaller companies will have to consider the overall cost of a Solarwinds suite that some cheaper programs may cover, but, if your company can support the cost, then typically the SolarWinds products are hard to beat.
We are using it to manage our company's ips. It works well and also lets us know if the device is online or not. Makes it a lot easier than maintaining a spreadsheet.
  • keeps tracks of all ip ranges you set up
  • lets you know when a device is online or not
  • ability to reserve ips and label it so you know what it is for.
  • security breach has us worried
  • faster interface would be nice
  • entire orion platform has a lot of customizations and it can easily scare a person that is new to it.
IPAM will be well suited in an environment that has over 50 network devices in my opinion. More than that, it will be very difficult to keep track of all the IPs used in the environment. I came from spreadsheets and pinging devices to see if they are used and using IPAM takes that work out of it. Pretty happy with it.
Roman Fyler | TrustRadius Reviewer
SolarWinds IPAM is used by I.T. to monitor and maintain all of our IP subnets. This prevents overlapping IP addresses and prevents duplicate IP errors in our environment.
  • Keeps all IP addresses well organized
  • Prevents duplicate IP addressing
  • Scans all subnets to mark IP addresses that are in use
  • None
This is a great product and is well suited to any environment. It is licensed by number of IP addresses, so large environments can get a bit costly, but it's still a great value in its market space.
Nikhil Kumar Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using SolarWinds IPAM for IP Address Management as well as IP Allocation and De-Allocation automation via orchestration tools such as Ansible, Terraform etc. Solarwinds IPAM is helping us to manage Subnets and automating the IP Management process. With the help of Solarwinds IPAM API operations we update DNS records, A Records, Manage IP Status, etc.
  • IP Management.
  • Subnet Grouping.
  • IP Management Automation using Automation tools such as Ansible.
  • add more IP Management vendors such as Bluecat
  • Easy integration with Service Now
  • DNS and DHCP Management additional security layer or a warning so that new users know that changes can impact their production environment
SolarWinds IPAM is well suited for requirements such as - Subnet Management, IP Management, IP Request requirements, DNS and DHCP Management. Since then API has evolved within SolarWinds and specially in IPAM module automation, things have become easy and that has increased the value of SolarWinds IPAM module. However few more changes would be required such pulling more information from DNS and DHCP server such as Gateway information, Host Mac Address and then integration with npm Discovery.
We have not got much deals on SolarWinds IPAM yet since we did not face any complex issues which could not be resolved on our own. However above rating is not just based on IPAM, but overall SolarWinds support which is, sad to say, deteriorating day by day since support engineers do not know much being new in the system. We expect support engineers to know everything on very first place which is not the case now.
Sneha Puri | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IPAM in IT to manage IP addressing across all our offices and job sites. We use it for alerting on DHCP scope and have it integrated with UDT. We had no way to track IP addresses for all the job sites and used to manage the office IP addresses on an Excel sheet.
  • Alerting on DHCP scope
  • UDT integration
  • Find out IPs in use and available
  • Easier overall view - for example: show me all subnets and their names instead of drop downs.
SolarWinds IP Address Manager is best for small- to mid-sized IP address usage. We have over 90 job sites across the country that we manage. To keep track of it all on an Excel was cumbersome. We also use it for devices that get added/removed constantly. It's easy to run a scan and see what IPs are available and what are not. Additionally, we use it to track IP addresses in our cloud environments--some don't have an offering that shows you available IPs.
Between thwack and support, it's been good. Thwack is an amazing resource for gaining more knowledge and getting questions answered.
We use IPAM to manage the up-time of all of our endpoints. If an alert goes out, an email is generated and a helpdesk ticket is created for someone to respond to.
  • Setup is easy.
  • IPAM works without issues. Up and down messages go out consistently
  • Management console is very intuitive.
  • Messages and notifications are easy to understand
  • The DNS Management could be better.
  • Importing custom properties could use some improvements.
  • Would like to see better reporting.
  • I would like to see some custom mapping to Visio
Solarwinds works really well in a single data center environment, but when you have multiple a downed line could end up in several hundred alerts. It would be nice to have some automation around data lines and actual servers or devices being down. For example, having the main data line notification silencing other alerts.
Ken Orr | TrustRadius Reviewer
When I worked at the VA a few months ago, it was the primary IP Address Manager for our Network Operations Center. We also used it for keeping track of some of the other business lines within the VA. Here at the FAA, I am not sure of what scale it is used for yet, but it is in the organization.
  • Subnet Ranges
  • Categorization
  • Ease of Use
  • Better navigation for admins
  • Better graphical interface
  • More features
IP Address Manager was great for keeping track of what IPs were in use and which ones were available within the VA Network Operations Center. Unfortunately, other organizations didn't see the value in it and didn't keep track of their IPs like we did, so the tool wasn't being used to its fullest potential.
Usually support has been very responsive and easy to deal with. They are very knowledgeable and when and issue needs to be escalated, it is done so in a very quick and easy fashion. Also, the support interface (Customer Success Manager) is very good, better than many other products I have worked with in IT.
Tim Short | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using it to hand out IP addresses and to verify if an address is in use or not and we are currently working on using it to help automate server builds to hand out IP addresses across our entire company to increase speed and help get server build done faster
  • Scans DHCP ranges for used IP's
  • Stays current with used IP's
  • Gives an easy to read graphical interface to see what IP's are in use
  • I hate the look of it
  • Manipulating the data on the page is very old school and clunky
  • Sometimes the discovery takes a long time to run
I find it works best on our smaller network segments and desktop segments anything with a /24 or smaller. on our /22 network segments it seems to not work nearly as well and seems to be cumbersome and not willing to run and when it does run we seem to always have issues or bomb out.
I haven't had to call them much. But every time I have contacted them their first go-to for me is to look at the online library of videos they have which gets annoying and discourages me from wanting to call them because they seem to not want to help as much for IPAM as their other products.
SolarWinds IPAM is utilized to manage IP address space across our global data centers. Operations teams are able to have full realtime visibility into IP information without contacting the network team.
  • Minimal setup and configuration required
  • Integration into SolarWinds Orion portal
  • Ease of Use
  • Better ability to identify discovered IP addresses
If you're looking for a basic IPAM tool, SolarWinds IP Address Manager is good solution. If you're already a SolarWinds Orion customer; its integration into the rest of their offerings makes for a good value play. If you're looking for a standalone solution and are not interested in the larger SolarWinds ecosystem, you would probably be better off looking at other non-integrated competitors.
SolarWinds IP Address Manager helps me make sense of what is on my network at my locations and how many IPs are being taken up in my VLANs. Much easier to use than what is built into Windows. I can get alerted if I reach a threshold of IPs, which is important for our lab environment. I am never surprised by this tool on what's going on device-wise.
  • Lets me know how many IPs are being used in my network
  • Lets me know about any possible IP address conflicts
  • Gives me history of MAC addresses that have used this IP
  • Able to easily export my IP data
  • Would like to know what ports are open on the IPs
  • Would be useful if they helped you configure this with best practices when you get it
SolarWinds IP Address Manager is well suited for a medium- to large-sized business with lots of VLANs, so you can keep an eye on what's going on. For a small office, I think this would be overkill. Especially useful with lab environments and dev environments with lots of change, so you can keep a handle on it.
When I first got this product 5 years ago, I could tell you that I would have given this a 10. Now, they are slow to answer and when you finally get them on the phone they are great. They need to hire more people and get support back to 10.
For years, we have used SolarWinds IP Address Manager to keep an inventory of all our networks, both IT and OT, which allows us to have more than 24000 IP controlled at present. The service makes it easier for us to know which networks are starting to have free IP availability problems and other value-added utilities that make routine tasks much easier.
  • Inventory
  • Security
  • Networking
  • User Support
  • Develpoment
It works well in areas that already have management procedures, and works worse in those network departments that do not have established procedures.
Always when we need technician or commercial help, the official support service, as well as the community and support forums, are very active and with a very high response time.
Prior to purchasing SolarWinds IP Address Manager, my team primarily relied on manually updated Excel spreadsheets for IP management. Initially, this approach was manageable, but it very quickly become too difficult to maintain. Because of the manual approach, the spreadsheet would become outdated very quickly. With SolarWinds IPAM, the dynamic updates take away the overhead associated with the spreadsheets and allowed us to not worry as much about whether or not the information we're looking at is up to date. Also because the interface is web-based, my team had a much easier time collaborating and access the necessary information.
  • Host discovery
  • Easy setup
  • Dynamic IP updates
  • Web interface can be slow and clunky
  • Initially is not user friendly
  • Allow more options for organization of devices
SolarWinds IP Address Manager is useful to organizations ranging from small to large, but particularly small. The reason for this is due to the fact that a smaller organization will have less manpower to manage a manually updated spreadsheet. SolarWinds IPAM's ability to dynamically discover and update its database removes the overhead typically associated with spreadsheets.
SolarWindows support can be hit or miss depending on who you get on the phone; however, all of my interactions ranging from basic setup to troubleshooting issues were professional and excellent. Software updates come frequently enough so I know the product is still supported well and has not been forgotten about.
November 11, 2020

IPAM in a nutshell

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) is being used in a department with my customers environment. The customer approached me as he was looking for a solution to move away from his spreadsheet tracking of IP addresses. After research and running a trial of SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM), I suggested IPAM as his solution.
  • Network scanning
  • IP address tracking
  • Request certain IP addresses
SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) has enabled my customer to scan his entire network [to] determine devices, IP addresses, and SNMP information. This is an advantage of their previous method of IP tracking via a spreadsheet. The IP address request feature should be enhanced, so when a user requests an IP address through the interface, they should be given an option to select a certain IP address instead of IPAM defaulting to the next available address within the subnet.
When running through the trial of SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) we had a SolarWinds support engineer assigned to guide us through the installation and configuration. He then also gave us a demo to see how it would fit in our environment.
November 09, 2020

IPAM is worth a shot

We use SolarWinds IPAM to keep track of our networks. By doing this we get a better view of what we have, where we have it, and how much of a network is used.
  • Organizing networks with site names.
  • Keeping track of what IPs are in use and what is using it.
  • Ease of use for DHCP scope management.
  • The feel of IPAM is a bit clunky.
  • Adding large number of sites at one time is a hassle, as there is little you can do to customize the labeling on individual portion of what you are entering.
SolarWinds IPAM is well suited for frontline IT workers to easily track down a user without having to log into a networking device.
IPAM is cumbersome when you have a large number of different sites as it becomes a pain to navigate. If it was modernized a little bit then this could change
SolarWinds has always had great support and is generally pretty fast in resolving any issues we have.
December 14, 2020

SolarWinds IPAM Review

We use SolarWinds IP Address Manager to manage our entire corporate network. It's incredibly useful in seeing what is on our network as well as identifying conflicts.
  • IP address conflicts--instantly identifies conflicts on the network
  • Managing our various scopes
  • Setting up reservations for various devices
  • One portal to view all the devices along with easy to read descriptions of what the devices are
  • I can't really complain about the current implementation. It just works brilliantly.
SolarWinds IP Address Manager provides a single portal to manage the entire network, whether that's DHCP scopes, reservations, or just having an overview of what's on our network.
Always great support from Solarwinds, whenever we've had any technical issues. They are quick to respond and always resolve the issue fast.
We use SolarWinds IO Address Manager (IPAM) within the IT department. We use it for statically assigned IPs in DNS and to address IP management of all of our subnets in DHCP. This helps us track the use of IPs where there may be several "hands in the cookie jar" when it comes to assigning statics.
  • Gives you DNS and DHCP access for all your servers in one place
  • Allows you to see quickly if a DHCP scope is running low on available IPs
  • Add it to your other tools in Orion for a on stop shop
  • WMI access level for for DHCP and DNS servers is admin level; not good for security.
  • Wish the DHCP portion looked more like Windows for management, but I am sure there is a licensing reason
  • Wish npm and SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) were better integrated with each other
If you have a hard time tracking DHCP IP availability in many scopes, it would be great to have. If you do not track static IPs in DNS or DHCP reservations, it wouldn't be all that helpful.
I tried resolving a permissions issue with WMI admin rights and I was told it is how it is, and that was it. I would like to have been bumped to a tier three, or whatever terminology is used for your engineers. We did purchase the highest level of Solar Winds IP Address Manager (IPAM), after all.

We currently use SolarWinds IPAM to track used address space across a large global network that includes multiple data centers, many remote office sites, and a major cloud provider. We initiated a company-wide network a year ago and included expanding and re-IP'ing at most locations.

Our Systems and Network groups are the primary consumers of this tool, however, it has proved useful to other teams including our desktop and helpdesk users. For us, this tool gives us instant visibility into every subnet we use. Setup is point and click; 50+ DHCP/DNS servers and can be added in a few minutes. Summaries, Top charts, issues, and more are all instantly accessible. It also points out DNS record mismatches, IP conflicts, and other pertinent events from those servers allowing us to spot and resolve problems we did not know existed. This tool makes it easy to proactively fix problems!

The IP reservation feature can be used to eliminate spreadsheet based tracking easily. SolarWinds is aware of what is using every address in near real-time. That makes a lot more sense than a tracking spreadsheet!

• Tracks actual IP address subnetting use in real time
  • Correlates DNS with DHCP in effective views and charts
  • Spots issues with IP Conflicts and DNS mismatches
  • Identifies devices not managed by SolarWinds by MAC vendor
  • Provides a workflow for IP assignment for non DHCP scopes
  • More configuration options for workflow options for IP assignment would be great.
  • Customizable forms for IP management workflow would be a huge plus.
  • A DHCP Server management feature similar to the Network config management would be awesome.
Managing a large and sprawling network with many subnets is almost effortless with this tool. Proactively solving issues with DHCP and DNS--Solawinds has both the information needed and the built-in alerts to fix issues before end-users report problems. Tracking and reporting out on IP address space usage, everywhere for everything. This tool has made completely renumbering every network at multiple organizations a far simpler process.
Ted Sadler | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IPAM to manage our extremely large network of statically assigned subnets, VLANs, and addresses. The network we manage is carrier-scale and stretches over a thousand square miles, with each device on the network having its address manually assigned. Without being able to rely on DHCP pools, we are left to manage our addressing scheme and assignments by hand, which was previously done by spreadsheet. Now, with IPAM, we can easily track what devices have what IPs, what subnets are available for assignment/expansion, and what addresses can be retired or recycled without needing to manage a large, unruly Excel file.
  • Organizing networks, subnets, and addresses logically using intuitive folders and hierarchical structure.
  • Tracking and displaying statistics for subnet allocation usage, available space, and exceeded capacity.
  • Providing details necessary for future network expansion.
  • Making it easy to associate an occupied address with the assigned device in npm.
  • The interface is DHCP-heavy, so if you don't use that feature it can be annoying.
  • The interface assumes that full = bad, so if you have well-utilized subnets with lots of assigned devices, you'll also have lots of warning icons, which can be annoying.
  • If your network is SNMP-heavy, having to manage SNMP credentials in both npm and IPAM can be irritating.
IPAM is great for seeing where you are in your subnet assignments. If you have a DHCP pool that you suspect is getting too full, IPAM will tell you. If you're manually assigning devices and need to see if another subnet needs to be created, IPAM will tell you.

However, the scanning feature is not the kind of thing you'd want to use for full device discovery. Those kinds of functions are best performed by SolarWinds NPM.
The SolarWinds team (and thwack community) is always helpful and willing to lend a hand. With that said, IPAM's interface is intuitive enough that we haven't really needed any help with it!
SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) is a valuable addition to the network engineer's toolbox for planning, tracking, and managing the IP address space used in an enterprise network. SolarWinds IPAM's IP scanning solution offers all the features you need for automated and integrated DHCP, DNS, and IP address management and its versatility allows it to be deployed in enterprises both big and small.
  • SolarWind's IPAM IP scanning allows us to quickly create a view of the IP space in use and is an invaluable tool for mergers and acquisitions scenarios.
  • IPAM's ability to monitor IP addresses and flag subnet capacity issues.
  • IPAM's dashboard provides a single pane of glass view of IP address space utilization in the enterprise.
  • It would be great if SolarWinds IPAM had ability to schedule changes to occur later.
SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) flexibility makes it suitable for any size network environment both large and small. It provides a single pane of glass view into IP address space utilization, which is great for every kind of organization—both small and large. IPAM allows different admins or admin groups can be easily assigned specific control permissions, which is a necessity for large enterprises.
September 04, 2020

Good value for the price.

It is being used by the IT department and several sub-departments. It resolves the issues that can arise when utilizing addresses within a range and virtual IPs versus defined ones.
  • Tracking
  • Reference of utilization
  • Term
  • Reporting
  • Data extraction
It is well suited to an area that is building, maintaining or decommissioning systems that use IP addresses including desktops and mobile devices, servers, platforms and applications.
Support is generally available and the team has not found any significant issues with the response times or the information provided. The deployment of the solution was very good.
We implemented SolarWinds IPAM to eliminate the use of all our Network Spreadsheets. Not only have we accomplished that, but we have also found unique uses for the software, like passing interesting traffic over IPSEC tunnels to keep them active. IPAM also monitors all of our DHCP scopes and alerts the team if we are getting close to the maximum reservations.
  • IP Allocation
  • DHCP alerts
  • Proactive IP monitoring
  • I wish it integrated with the other SolarWinds products, without additional configuration.
SolarWinds IPAM is a nice solution if you are trying to track an ever-expansive set of IP addresses and monitor DHCP scopes. It has additional functionality that we do not utilize as we do not want it to have too many teeth into our AD environment.
August 23, 2020

Best IPAM tool ever!

IPAM is an excellent tool for a network admin, as you can quickly validate available IP addresses on the discovered subnets, and also check the utilization history of IP Addresses. What I love is that this is just another module that you can run in the same server and same management plane.
  • Management of IP Addressing like subnets, IPs, etc.
  • Useful for troubleshooting, as you can always go back and see what device utilized that IP in the past.
  • Quickly allocation of new subnets or static IP's for new projects.
  • Reporting
  • Graphics
  • resource consumption
If your network is one of those kinds with maybe hundreds of branch offices, or if there are a lot of projects going on where you need to constantly be manually checking for the next available subnet or static IP, then IPAM is the solution that you were looking for, as it allows you to automate all these manual procedures.
Andrew Yudin, MBA/CCNP | TrustRadius Reviewer
SolarWinds IPAM is being used across the whole organization to procure IP addresses. It allows teams to perform automatic IP tracking and reserve IPs as needed. IPAM addresses network segmentation problems where all subnets are clearly defined and segmented within IPAM.
  • IP addresses tracking
  • DHCP assignments
  • DNS zone and server management
  • Needs newer/better web UI
  • Simplify discovery process
  • Improve alerting capabilities
SolarWinds IPAM is well suited for the organization with multiple subnets/VLANs that can be automatically tracked. It also servers as a DHCP and DNS management solution, which allows the organization to save a lot of money by investing in a single module only.
Arnab Mukherjee | TrustRadius Reviewer
SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) is used by our Infrastructure Team for reserving and assigning IP addresses when a new device is added to the network. It is used for Automated IP address tracking, Integrated DHCP, DNS, and IP address management. It is extensively used by our Network Team for VLAN management and helps with their daily tasks.
  • Organize IP Space
  • It has a Request Fulfillment Form for reserving IP addresses
  • Integrates very will with the SolarWinds Platform
  • Better DNS Management
It provides detailed real-time IP address status reports to ensure IP's are correctly assigned. It runs automated scans to ensure the Monitoring Tool has the latest and updated information for all devices in the network. You can use the IPAM interface to search across all your subnets, a group of subnets, or within a specific subnetwork.
Support is good. Sometimes if we run into issues, Support recommends to repair the module which is kind of frustrating.

What is SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM)?

IPAM integrates DHCP, DNS, and IP address management. Automated subnet discovery and IP scanning scours your network so you always know how IPs are used. Be alerted to and fix IPs conflicts, depleted subnets/scopes, and mismatched DNS entries. Delegate IP administration so system and network admins can manage their own range of IPs. Get the nitty-gritty details on IPs and how they’ve been used—even in the distant past.

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Features

• Supported: Automated IP address tracking
  • Supported: Integrated DHCP, DNS, and IP address management
  • Supported: IP address alerting, troubleshooting, and reporting
  • Supported: Multi-vendor on-prem and cloud DHCP and DNS support
  • Supported: IP Request Form for streamlining and automating IP address requests
  • Supported: API support with CRUD operations for two-way integration with third-party software

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Screenshots

Customize your IP address management dashboard to quickly focus on your top priorities.Manage your DHCP and DNS services in one place.Streamline IP requests with a simple intake and approval wizard.Automatically scan for subnets or manually add.

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Videos

Watch Get a quick overview of SolarWinds® IP Address Manager (IPAM) and learn why automated and consolidated DHCP/DNS and IP address management is a must-have in today's dynamic networks. SolarWinds IPAM provides centralized management, monitoring, alerting, and reporting on your entire IP infrastructure, all from an intuitive web console. It's simplified IP space management in one easy-to-use solution. SolarWinds IPAM delivers the advanced features required by today's increasingly complex enterprise networks, including: - Integrated DHCP/DNS management - Split-scope configurations - Scheduled scanning - Real-time monitoring - Customizable troubleshooting dashboard - Preventative alerting - Out-of-the-box reporting - Detailed event recording - Role-based access control - Historical IP address tracking - IPv6 migration planning With IPAM, companies can streamline DHCP and DNS management, optimize IP space utilization, and avoid IP address conflicts. IPAM helps IT organizations to effectively plan for network growth and control corresponding IP space issues to ensure the highest levels of performance of their IP infrastructure.

Watch IPAM’s IP Request Wizard enables IP requesters to directly request IP addresses from network admins, and can automatically reserves IP addresses after three easy steps.

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Downloadables

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Integrations

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Competitors

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Pricing

SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM) Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Orion Platform products can be deployed on physical or virtual servers on-premises or in the cloud. These products can also be deployed via Azure or AWS marketplaces. For detailed system requirements, visit support.solarwinds.com.