Overall Satisfaction with SQL Server Integration Services
SSIS is a powerful tool to perform various ETL-like functions between homogenous and heterogeneous sources of data. It was widely used in all organizations I worked since it provides an easy way to create data transformations.
- Easy connection configuration
- Powerful wizard for data mapping
- Native exception handling
- User-friendly interface
- Easy to learn
- Package can be deployed via Visual Studio
- Requires programming experience for custom tasks
- Shell version of VS used for SSIS package development doesn't support C# as scripting language (needs at least professional edition)
- Some tasks are hard to debug, aren't they?
- SSIS provided good value for the money
- SSIS comes as a feature of SQL Server Standard/Enterprise etc. editions so we don't have to spend extra money for other ETL tools
I have used Informatica in the past and it doesn't really makes it easy for ETL. If you have some experience with SSIS, you can easily implement the same within SSIS and save money as Informatica license is much more expensive than the time spent for the development of custom ETL using SSIS.