Reviews (1-3 of 3)
We used BI Manager to develop and maintain all of our ETL packages.
- Easy to use GUI
- Integrates nicely with SQL Server
- Simple single server deployment
- Lacks versioning control.
- Lacks support/native driver for alternative database.
- Only plays well with other Microsoft products.
Read this authenticated review
BIDS works well if you're committed to using all MS products. It does take some serious consideration if you know you will end up working outside of that, such as working with AWS products.
April 05, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
We're using SQL Server Business Intelligence Manager to monitor our SQL Server BI platforms (analysis services, reporting services, and integration services). It's great at collecting metrics and KPIs regarding query execution and performance for SSAS in both standard and cube models, and also provides great insights for packages executed by SSIS.
- Great monitoring capabilities for SSAS, SSRS, and SSIS.
- Tuning features for SSAS cubes.
- Configurable alerts.
- Some advanced features are hard to get without proper training.
- Usability has room for improvement.
Read Gedson Silva's full review
MS SQL Server provides nice monitoring tools for its core SQL engine, but that's not the case with the BI components (SSAS, SSRS and SSIS). SQL Server Business Intelligence Manager is great at filling this gap, providing valuable insights and alerts for these critical tools, and also great tuning capabilities for cubes.
November 09, 2016
Score 7 out of 10
We were using SQL Server BI Manager to monitor the health and availability of our entire SQL Server BI environment. This includes SSIS, SSRS and SSAS. The business problems that this addresses are all related to ensuring our customers get the best BI solutions available. Currently it is being used by our reporting department, but we assume it might spread shortly.
- Shows an excellent dashboard
- Allows easy monitoring of multiple instances
- Created an environment that can be self healing
- Drill down can kind of be cumbersome
- Deep knowledge is needed to understand metrics
- Some light training is needed to take advantage of all features
Read Samir Patel, PMP's full review
SQL Server Business Intelligence Manager is well suited for organizations with large scale BI deployments. When tracking all of your SSIS, SSAS and SSRS processes that are spread out and disjointed, this tool will enable one user to get a holistic view of the whole environment. If you want to be proactive in handling performance issues before they happen, then this tool is good too.
SQL Server BI Manager Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About SQL Server BI Manager
Houston-based Idera's SQL Server Business Intelligence Manager is an IT infrastructure monitoring option.
Categories: SQL Server Performance Monitoring
SQL Server BI Manager Technical Details