Tableau fits our needs as a small companyhttps://www.trustradius.com/business-intelligence-biTableau ServerUnspecified8.16661012018-10-31T16:17:19.665Z
October 31, 2018
Tableau fits our needs as a small company
Score 9 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Server
At Vinyl we use Tableau to develop dashboards for insight into our business. It houses most of our day to day reporting and we are now developing our KPI system on it.
- Access to our data sources such as MS SQL and MySQL
- Ease of use and administration
- Relatively small footprint for hardware
- Reasonable pricing
- Better exposure of the engine components for diagnostics and reporting
- Having to uninstall the product and reinstall to upgrade is odd and cumbersome
- Bring the command line options into a modern web admin interface with better information like backup processes and history
- Admin reporting on use of data sources and ability to search out dependencies in the database
- We recently reduced our licensing due to scaling down the company and Tableau had a reasonable process to accommodate us.
- The most recent version we use (10.4) has been much more reliable - looking forward to the 2018 version that we will implement next month.
- Many times changes in version cause our analysts headaches by changing small things we don't always catch at first and we don't have the means to run a test environment for all of them.
We run an on-premise system on a VM at our data center that runs quite well with minimal hardware. It has had a few issues during upgrades that have caused some problems in the past but more recently it has been much better.
We have been able to delegate the proper authority to dashboards and data based on user log-ins and groups.
We use MS SQL and MySQL primarily and have a mix of live connections and data extracts that work quite well. I would like a better admin ability to see what data sources are being used and the dependencies in the database.
The subscriptions and alerts are good and the control to what is available is good overall. The export process can be a little cumbersome and it would be nice to be able to see who has exported data from where to where
I have had to use the online documentation many times and have had mostly a positive experience. The tech support has been good when we have had to use it, especially for licensing issues.
Tableau does a great job of providing a simple interface to access various dashboards by groups, and has powerful development tools, but they can be a little quirky. It would be much better if there were better admin tools to analyze data sources, the dependencies in the database, and who owns the various dashboards throughout the system.