Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery
We are currently using Unitrends as the backup and recovery for our on site servers. We have two domain controllers, an app server, a network attached storage server, and a server that runs some other service critical software. It gives us a trusted backup and recovery ability that we didn't have in previous products that were used. Being able to restore down to a single file was essential for us to have for some departments, such as finance, in case there was ever an issue with any data loss. We also have a secondary device that copies of the backups are stored for redundancy in our backup and recovery solution.
- The setup of the device is very straightforward and simple. It's not confusing when configuring the backup device.
- Adding assets to the system is very easy. The Unitrends agent that enables the backup of devices is simple to install. Once it is installed, you move on to creating a job for backing up the asset, which is also simple to setup.
- Looking at the whether backup jobs are successful has a well laid out UI. You can filter by almost anything you want to find specific jobs or assets to check on the backups that were made.
- Errors on backup jobs could be more clearly explained. As the administrator of the device for my company, I often don't know what caused an error, and can't tell from the error information what happened or caused the error.
- Updates of the devices should have an automatic option. It takes to much time to do an update to the devices if updates haven't been maintained.
- Shutdown and restarting the device should be available from the main UI screen to eliminate some time when doing updates or if you're doing some maintenance on the device.
- Our executive team has a greater peace of mind now that we have reliable and up to date backups should we encounter some sort of disaster.
- We are able to more expediently serve our users should some file be lost.
- We are able to backup more assets than with our previous backup solution.
Do you think Unitrends delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Unitrends's feature set?
Did Unitrends live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Unitrends go as expected?
Would you buy Unitrends again?
We previously used Backup Exec as our backup solution. It relied on USB 2.0 connections to backup data to removable proprietary hard drives that were used in a Dell removable drive system. It was very slow and unreliable compared to Unitrends. Doing the backups over the network delivers a speedy backup that we had not had with Backup Exec. The version of Backup Exec we were using was an admittedly old version circa 2012 or so, so it wasn't a modern solution. Not having to use the removable drives also greatly improved our backup solution reliability. The drives could fill up and if we didn't get the drives swapped out in time, it would cause problems.
If you have on-site servers and want a reliable backup and recovery system, then Unitrends is very well suited to the task. Easy setup, easy configuration, and ease of maintenance make it a quality system to implement in your on site data center. The speed of the backups also make the system very expedient when it comes to the backups that it does of your servers and workstations.