Varicent for Comp Plan Creation
Updated February 25, 2015
Varicent for Comp Plan Creation
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Varicent
Currently my department, Sales Operations, utilizes Varicent to build out and manage the compensation plans for our salesforce. There is another version of Varicent used within our company as well for payout of the compensation plans, however, I don't manage that portion, it is handled through our Commissions department. The system was built to have the management team access the information directly, hopefully resulting in quicker turnaround time, however, due to system issues we have faced since implementation, we haven't been able to roll out that portion of the system yet.
- The implementation team listens to your overall business and strategy and is willing to work with you to address your specific needs. Our company was the first Varicent worked with to build out the implementation of the plans versus the payout of the plans.
- The trouble support team responds to issues quickly and efficiently and escalates them if needed.
- There is always room for upgrade if you're willing to optimize your model and put in the time and effort on your own end.
- We tried to utilize a third party to implement Varicent several years ago. After months of sitting with them explaining our process, they brought us a demo of what they thought we needed and it completely missed the mark. This left us frustrated and feeling defeated. Varicent needs to make sure the third parties they use to implement their product come across as they themselves would.
- We have had an on-going issue since implementation two years ago; we tried to utilize the service and ticket system and after a year were told it was beyond their control and to utilize a specialized team we would pay for, to come in and resolve our issue in 1-2 weeks. We got the funds to have the team come in, and unfortunately 6 months later, the issue is still not resolved. Their follow-up lacks, as does their resolution of large issues.
- Our last system was a home-grown system, therefore support was in-house which allowed for faster response times to any issues that arose, however, it was not as flexible.
- The system has allowed for increased employee efficiency and fewer errors on the plans.
- The system has also allowed for increased efficiency between the two versions of Varicent as we can export the information and import it into the other version of Varicent with less manual manipulation.
As I said before, since I have been with this company, we went through two variations of homegrown systems, the first through Access the second through a web based client. The Access system was not robust and was very time consuming to run and make changes in. The web based client was efficient, however, not as robust as Varicent. I would never go back to the other systems now that I have used Varicent, however, it is important you get your Business Applications department involved during implementation so you can have someone with technical expertise to help you if you run into issues.
Since I work on the front end of the compensation plans, with over 500 payees, all of which have customized plans, I found it imperative to have a system that was flexible. Varicent allowed for us to be flexible with year over year changes to continue to grow the system to adapt to the new plans.
Until I find another system that can do the creation and maintenance of the plans, and not the payout as most of the systems focus on, I will remain with Varicent. It took over 6 months of planning with the implementation team, working with them side by side and that time is precious to a department of 2 people. To develop another system to give us the same information Varicent does would take just as long and the system may not be as flexible as Varicent.