Whimsical Reviews

November 09, 2020
Sarah Littlefield | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Whimsical as a UX designer to present user flows and information hierarchy to my team members inside of the organization and to clients when pitching ideas.
  • Very learnable and memorable.
  • Easy to present.
  • Ability to comment.
  • Ability to share.
  • Simple interface.
  • Customization of colors would be nice.
  • Adding chains can be finicky.
  • Moving boxes around is clunky - interferes with connections.
Any kind of hierarchy structure is easy to show as well as processes and connections. We use it to make org charts and user experience flows, as well as wireframes. It's pretty simple in features, so if you needed to do compex arrangements, it could be burdensome.
I've never used the support for Whimsical.
Read Sarah Littlefield's full review
December 09, 2020
Whimsical is used by the Product, Product Design, and Brand Marketing departments. It used used for live whiteboard collaboration, mind mapping user journeys, wire framing, and other collaborative—early stage—projects. It’s has replaced our reliance on similar tools like Balsamic, InVision’s Freehand, draw.io, and other such tools by offering the same abilities. Not only are these tools in one application, but they are available concurrently allowing for free form collaboration and more complete and complicated projects.
  • White-boarding.
  • User flows.
  • Wire framing.
  • Ideation sessions.
  • Export.
  • Sharing with stakeholders.
  • Temporary collaboration permissions.
Whimsical excels in early stage projects when details are not defined and exploration needs to be encouraged. It may not be the right tool for final output as the fidelity is basic and the ability to output artifacts is limited. Ideally it is used to refine and scope ideas allowing for another more refined tool to take over.
March 19, 2020
Brianne Matthias | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've used whimsical for a multitude of projects, however, my favorite to date was mapping out the workflow for our new onboarding system. I was able to present my team with a clear explanation and reason behind each step as well as provide a reference for future team members. We often use Whimsical as a workflow tracker and mind-mapping exercise.
  • Mindmapping.
  • Workflow.
  • Business/department structure building.
  • Basic wireframe builds.
  • The ability to share is a bit lacking (you can only share the link if the document is public).
  • Would be great if we had the ability to make the notes smaller.
Best suited for mind-mapping exercises. I use it with my clients to build out new processes and org charts. There are so many departments that can benefit from the product: HR, IT, Customer Service, Design, etc. The only challenge is how the individual would like to utilize it. I don't know that it's best as a board for notes and ideas. It would be a little difficult to codify with the platform.
I reached out to support, as I was interested in possibly investing in the organization, and they quickly and happily informed me they are a bootstrap organization and do not take on investors at this time. The swift response and information readily available for my consumption was extremely helpful and shows how solid the team behind it is.
Read Brianne Matthias's full review
March 19, 2020
Andrea Hester | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Whimsical for quick and efficient user flow mapping, sitemapping, and wireframing for our web development clients. It's an amazing tool that makes sketching and thought mapping quick and easy. It's actually quicker than hand sketching, and it's superior in that it allows easy collaboration for our remote team.
  • Simple low fidelity wireframing
  • Site mapping
  • User flow mapping
  • Limited design capabilities for more detailed wireframing
Whimsical is a great tool for both novices and experts. It's super simple to learn - if you can draw flow charts (or actually even if you can't!), you can use Whimsical. If you're looking for a tool for high fidelity designing and wiremapping, this is not it. But if you're looking for something for quick and easy concept mapping, it's the best one out there.
I've never needed to use Whimsical's customer support. I've been able to intuitively find answers to any questions about using the app. The tool is completely intuitive. I'm annoyed that I'm still typing and that this question is required even though it's not applicable to my use of the application.
Read Andrea Hester's full review

What is Whimsical?

Whimsical is a visual workspace application from the company of the same name in Denver, allowing users to create collaborative wireframes, mindmaps, flowcharts, and sticky notes.