Asana Reviews

page V | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 10, 2020

Asana: Best all around project management tool

Our team is using Asana with other teams in collaboration in a project management capacity. We are using it to:
  • Break down the multiple components of our projects into tasks, responsibilities, roles, and timelines.
  • Track multiple pieces of a project across complex team structures and time zones.
  • Plan time and logistical execution for our parts of the project moving forward.
  • Observe the overall project's progress as a whole (Kanban-like progress board).
  • Document processes that need to be completed so that others can implement them.
  • Timelines: With Asana, you can create Gantt charts that show you preceding/needed action items. When a part of a project is delayed, you can track how that will affect the forward trajectory of the project.
  • User management / Roles in relationship to tasks: Asana allows you to see individual users and assign them tasks in an overall project, while also being able to see what items are needed as a whole. It allows you to see who is doing what and when.
  • Organized File storage: There's one master view for file storage, OR you can store files in individual tasks. Overall, for visually-driven individuals - and for those who need a strong sense of organization, it's not that helpful.
  • Visual organization inside of tasks: The view inside of tasks could be improved for visually focused individuals; I find myself wanting more of a "notebook" view that better integrates different types of media and notes altogether.
Our team has evaluated several team collaboration tools. If your organization (five or more) needs a place where your team can collaborate, track tasks, track time, manage users and come together to get something done, Asana is going to be one of our top recommendations. The ability to see progress in a project, integrate Asana into the rest of your workflow and tools, document notes and processes inside of the process, duplicate boards and projects, and manage the process is pretty well planned. Note: It's more vital for you to know your processes and how your team works before picking out a software tool for it. However, we still recommend Asana highly.

Asana is NOT a good fit for you if you have a smaller team, don't have reliable processes, don't like seeing user management or task boards, or are looking for a free tool.
We haven't had to tap into support. Everything has been very straightforward in its use. We have been able to show up inside of other projects (with other teams) and be ready to jump in with very little need for outside assistance or support. All of the techs have worked, and we've never had to reach out to support.
Read page V's full review
Sandra Jackson | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 10, 2020

Asana improves productivity and team collaboration

We use Asana withing our business department to manage the graduation projects for our senior students. Asana helps us to save meetings time and reduce email communication. In our department we supervise around 20 projects per year and Asana helps us to keep track of all the projects and see the progress of each one.
  • Nice and simple platform for project management.
  • Great calendar tool to monitor deadlines.
  • Great for collaboration and team work.
  • Customization dashboard.
  • Poor exporting features.
  • Limited functions in mobile app.
Asana is one of the best platforms to manage projects and collaborate with teammates. It improves productivity by assigning tasks to each member and put deadlines for the submission of the project. It allows our students to stay focused on each task and is useful for our department to keep track of each project.
Very responsive customer support. I once needed help to integrate a planner software with Asana and I was able to get help within 24 hours.
Read Sandra Jackson's full review
Chad Carman | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

Worth every penny to increase productivity

We utilize Asana through our marketing department to keep on task for a variety of projects, procedures, and work orders. It enables us to ensure that none of the 100s of concurrently running tasks or projects miss their due dates. We sync it through Slack to increase productivity of conversations within the department as well.
  • Ability to set it and forget it. Create a task as soon as you have it and assign a due date then you have no worries about forgetting it.
  • Keeps priorities in order
  • Allows for communication on specific tasks within Asana keeping most relevant files available.
  • Would be nice to be able to print task calendars as we keep our content calendar in Asana
Asana is best suited for groups that have multiple projects running concurrently. It allows a business organization to quickly shift projects or tasks to other individuals when certain employees or departments get bogged down. Keeping quality notes on progress allows you to see the status at an immediate glance. We couldn't maintain our efficiency without it.
Read Chad Carman's full review
May 21, 2020

Asana gives me peace

As an instructional designer, I guide a number of faculty in developing fully online courses. I use Asana to track the progress of each course development. This use includes long-term programs as well as temporary projects. Currently, there are only a few of us in the organization using Asana, but I hope to get my team on board to replace the tool we use for collaboration.
  • I find Asana's user interface easy to navigate and manipulate. Drag and drop options are built-in, the graphics are clean and clear, and it is easy to figure out how to accomplish tasks I hadn't previously done.
  • Asana is versatile, allowing various layouts (list or tiles) to accommodate the various programs and projects I need to manage.
  • Asana has good collaboration tools. Team members can receive real-time updates (if they choose) when tasks are completed, and messages can be sent within Asana.
  • Asana has great integration with Google, Microsoft, Slack, and other tools to really tie it into my organization's existing tools.
  • Asana uses a "freemium" model. I currently use the free instance, but there are many more useful features available for the Premium model.
  • I have never found My Tasks, the to-do list of Asana, to be particularly helpful. I would like to see an opportunity to prioritize those tasks on the to-do list manually.
  • Asana has a number of icons available for project links, but it would be nice to upload custom icons.
Asana is great at straight out project management. Some advanced PM tools, such as Gantt charts, require paid subscriptions, but for creating and maintaining categorized task lists and assigning tasks to specific people, Asana is a pro. I originally used Asana at my wife's multimedia production business. Now that I am working on educational projects rather than media projects, I find the principles to be so similar that I am using Asana anyway. I think it's worth it.
I have found most of the answers I need in Asana's knowledgebase. There were a few times I didn't like the answer, but I was still able to get an answer. I did not rate Asana's support any higher because the knowledge base is the only tool I have used. I have not experienced other types of customer support.
January 14, 2020

Project Management is a breeze. Thanks to Asana!

Asana is being used to assign tasks throughout the entire organization. We have remote employees in Canada, the United States, India and the Philippines. Due to everyone working in different time zones, communication becomes a problem. By assigning tasks via Asana, everyone knows your schedule for the day and when a task is completed, the next task can start by the next person in line. Previously, we used Wrike and Trello but these tools did not provide a proper way of communicating among the team members. In Wrike, when a person up the project line changes a task's due date to a later time which affects the entire down line, there's no way of informing the other affected employees. For Trello, it was more like a post-it note. Good for planning but not easy to hold people accountable for tasks not being completed.
  • Able to create a template that can be copied. This is good for projects that has to be constantly repeated. For example, on-boarding a new employee.
  • Able to assign due dates and tasks dependency. So for example, if Task B is dependent on Task A being completed and Task A was moved to a different date, employee assigned to do Task B will be informed of the change of due date of Task A.
  • On a daily basis, everyone is able to see what needs to be done for the day and prioritize their time accordingly. And managers can easily check if tasks assigned to employees for the week is too little or too much and tweak assignments easily.
  • The ability to assign projects based on templates with a start date and the number of required days per task. In this case, Wrike is more capable. For example, if I know Task A needs 3 days to complete before Task B can start, I would like the ability to assign Task A to start on Monday and have Asana automatically assign Task B to start on Thursday when template is being copied. Unfortunately, this is not possible with Asana.
Asana is well suited for companies with employees in different time zones. Everyone starts work at a different time but with the tasks assignment system, everyone knows when a task is required to be completed and when it can be started. I think Asana works among cross-functional teams too. For example, if the marketing department needs design work to be done before handing off to an outside agency for advertisement, people from different teams are involved. The project owner can scope out the entire project and start assigning tasks to stakeholders. And when the stakeholders get the assigned tasks, it is easy to communicate among the entire organization if they have comments or issues through the assigned task. Best of all, everyone is held accountable for the tasks assigned to them. If a due date is changed or if tasks are not completed, managers can hold the task owner accountable for the delay. I find that Asana also makes employees more accountable for their actions if they know that everyone involved in the project is aware of their actions or inaction.
Personally, I have not contacted Asana customer service. But seeing how Asana has improved over the last 2 years, I feel that Asana is listening to their users and implementing changes to help make it better. So in that regard, Asana is continuously supporting their users.
March 18, 2020

I love Asana!

We use Asana across our Organization to keep organized and keep on task. We use it for setting tasks in our Warehouse to ensure deliveries are done in a timely manner and can be easily seen by all in our location and tracked if necessary. This makes things run a lot smoother for us overall.
  • Shipping
  • Organization
  • Tasks
  • More user friendly
  • More Options
  • Area for tracking information
Asana is great for tracking orders and ensuring a timely shipment. All employees have access and can add/change tasks in Asana. It can be used for so many different roles in our organization so we can all have a hand in using it and staying organized. This is highly recommended.
I have never had an issue with Asana that their team could not help us navigate through and find a resolution. I am highly pleased with their customer support and willingness to ensure all our needs are met and handled in a timely fashion. I would recommend them to anyone who needs tasks!
Adam Lumley | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

Asana for Project and Team Management

Asana is used in multiple departments. My departments manage all of our work through Asana and collaborate on projects with other departments with it as well. It allows us to manage deadlines and responsibilities to get the job done on time. We also keep track of new ideas so that we always have a record of them to go back on. Without tracking, projects are at risk of being forgotten as other priorities arise. Asana keeps them alive.
  • Project management. Asana makes it easy for anyone to organize their projects and break them down into sub-tasks.
  • Accountability. Being able to break down projects into tasks and assign due dates, who is responsible, etc is very helpful. Asana sends reminders for the project owner to help keep everyone on task and makes it easy to follow up.
  • Communication. We have our Slack and Outlook integrated so we are able to keep tabs on our project no matter what and read it all in one place (Slack).
  • The inbox feature can be a little overwhelming if you are work with Asana just from its project boards and only checking it periodically. It would be great if it auto-cleared once a project/task is marked complete.
  • Email notifications can get excessive. You have complete control over them but initially, they can be annoying until you set the frequency you want them. It would be better if this was set during the sign-up process.
  • Notes, discussions, and attachments in subtasks sometimes go unnoticed if working from the main project board.
If you are working with a cross-functional team with multiple projects on the go regularly, Asana is a lifesaver. Everything can be shared in one place. Delegation is a breeze. Communication happens in real-time.

If you and your employees all have unchanging duties daily, this probably isn't something you need in your organization. You could adapt it and use it as a "checklist software" but I wouldn't see much value in paying for it if you won't use it to manage projects.
I haven't had to use their support so I can't rate it. The fact that I haven't needed them reflects the ease of use of the product. I would recommend that any new users schedule a complete demo of the product to ensure that they are using it to it's fullest (there's a lot of useful features).
Read Adam Lumley's full review
Kate Knight | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2019

No compromises with Asana!

Because I work with someone hours away, and we typically work opposite schedules, having a software where we can log projects we're working on, tasks that need completed, posting schedules, etc. was extremely important for the success of our organization. We were looking for an easy to use software that also offered a well put together app, all of which Asana offered.
  • The app is extremely useful.
  • The subtask feature has been extremely helpful when we have several steps that need to be taken care of for a project.
  • Email notifications - For each task, subtask, comment, I receive an email. This is unnecessary when I have the app on my phone.
  • Software integration with Gmail would be a huge benefit.
Asana is well suited for an organization that has employees working in distance with each other. It is also well suited for organizations that may have multiple projects going on at one time, with various schedules and due dates. We think the organization Asana has provided has been key to our success.
Overall, we love Asana. It is easy to use and easy to stay up to date with. We were looking for software that would do all we needed but wouldn't take a large chunk of our time to learn and that is exactly what Asana provided! The opportunity to utilize software purely for our benefit, and not take away anything from our organization. No compromises with Asana!
Read Kate Knight's full review
Debbie Gillum | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 09, 2019

A great tool for tracking to-dos and projects

I use Asana for my personal To-do list. Previously, the entire marketing team used Asana for project management and to keep tasks on track. It is not being used by the whole organization to my knowledge. It addresses the business problem of keeping everyone accountable and on the same page.
  • To-do list tracking
  • Project management
  • Work flows
  • Scheduling
  • I wish it implemented easier with Outlook or Gmail. I would like for it to be easier to send tasks from email to Asana.
  • I think there's room for improvement in terms of how easy it is to make new Section Headers for tasks and lists.
  • I'd like for more aspects of the interface to be customizable.
Asana keeps you on track and helps you prioritize projects and to-dos. I like that you can see what you've previously worked on and accomplished. It's less appropriate for teams who are very active inside their email, like Outlook, and prefer to use the Tasks function already in their email software. Asana is rewarding to teams and helps projects be completed on time.
I've never had to use the support for Asana but I imagine it would be great and they would be able to resolve any questions or issues.
Read Debbie Gillum's full review
Catherine Zauner | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 26, 2019

Great tool for collaborative teams

Multiple departments use this platform to manage projects. This allows our teams to collaborate, streamline and schedule project due dates and keep track of who is working on what. This is very helpful for when people travel, there is transparency around what is due and other teammates can step in when needed. This is a great platform for efficient collaboration.
  • Project management - the ability for us to track our projects all in one place is very helpful. transparency makes it easy for everyone to be on the same page.
  • Marking projects/events complete as they happen - the fun animation makes every completed task feel like a win, and it makes using the tool more fun. Very helpful when doing something that is normally tedious.
  • For what I use it for, there is nothing I could recommend.
This product is well suited for teams where different folks are collaborating on assignments and there needs to be a clear outline as to who is working on what. It helps set very transparent expectations for progress and follow up. It may not be necessary for non-collaborative environments.
I have not used their support, and there is not an option for N/A. This is not something I can comment on because I had no interaction with the Asana Customer Support team. If this was something our managers used, I was not privy to that information, so I am unable to comment.
Read Catherine Zauner's full review
Richard Peterson | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2019

Asana is our global solution

Asana is used by our digital marketing team with locations in Hartford, WI and Drummondville, Quebec, Canada, and our Chinese operation. It is great to keep track of all the fellow team members and their tasks, across different time zones. It has allowed us to reduce the sharing of spreadsheets to keep people up to date. If I want to know where a team player is on a project I check the Asana dashboard and I can get a quick update without having to write yet another email.
  • We like the detail that can be put into the updates and we have learned to say more with fewer words.
  • By updating your tasks in Asana you are letting people know where you are on the items, without them having to reach out to me.
  • We like the fact that you can all alert by task by an individual to keep key stakeholders informed. And it is easy to add or delete these alert recipients.
  • The only complaint we have is making more features available in the bases product. Some of the more popular features are upgrades costing a larger investment.
  • Quarterly credit card billing would be appreciated.
  • More training modules (video or PPT) would help the on-boarding of new members greatly. We sometimes have to do a quick WebEx to get new members up to speed.
The ideal application for this product is when you have team members that need to work closely together but are separated by thousands of miles and in some cases by languages. We like the English option and feel this tool has increased our ability to communicate faster and more accurately as a team, which makes us look good to our bosses.
Asana has a good library of resources but could use more videos, short videos.
Read Richard Peterson's full review
JATIN GUPTA | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2019

Asana # Development is easy now...

It is used by our organization in both modes application and web. It provides us the complete solution of product development and the way its dashboard is designed it makes our work easy. The communication among teams is clear, everyone knows the development stages and plans and works accordingly as per requirement.
  • Project development stages and content sharing
  • Internal Communication is strong point of asana.
  • remote and easy access, as its application version is also available.
  • The new request of projects must be as per order.
  • The communication mode on online active calling must be added
  • cost need to be re considered.
Asana is best suited in the environment of development where the need is rapid development and results. The communication and team designing are quick with their dashboard. Asana proves to be most powerful in terms of software development at same time it does not suit for small scale projects where we need to follow traditional waterfall models.
The major reason to rate 9 ton asana are:
1. Customer support is very good and fast.
2. The e - mail reply to the user is within 24 hours and to efficiently handle query each issue allocated with a unique id number.
3. The cost is under budget not so high, but provide a lot of advantages.
Read JATIN GUPTA's full review
Berlynn Pierce | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2019

Asana: yes to communication, no to visual assets

Asana is being used across the organization, however, it is being under-utilized to assist in cross-channel coordination. Each team manages their own tasks and timelines differently and we have yet to unify or understand how to personalize the Asana experience and flow based on the team. For example, the Creative Team and approving assets need to adapt their flow from the Email Marketing Team processes.
  • Simple to create teams depending on which group you need to be part of. I am currently only able to view one team which happens to house 10 Projects.
  • I can easily communicate with multiple people on one project and can avoid email chains.
  • A board can be easily made that is visual in nature and can help the user see where a request is in the process.
  • Comments can get crazy: a single comment is emailed out to the entire group (that can be 10+ people). And it can be very difficult to go back in a conversation and view what the comment was referencing.
  • You can only comment on a project and not add another image or document.
  • The Description and team are always able to view but not always previous work done. For example, in a creative team, I can see the delivery but not the previous copy or design work just that it is complete.
Asana would seem to work well for anything other than assets or for a creative team. We may go back to Basecamp for communication and delivery of assets. We have many teams using this but not much collaboration which can create duplicate work, additional emails, and overall a longer turnaround time.
I have not needed to use Asana support other than training videos which are extensive but not for what I needed (looking for a way to set up Asana for my unique audiences that would be custom compared to how other teams are managing projects).
Read Berlynn Pierce's full review
Anish Walinjkar | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

Asana - Best of the breed for project task management

Asana is used in our Product Engineering Services (PES) part of our business. In this, we develop software products for our customers or sometimes for internal needs. Most of the teams in PES use Asana for task assigning, monitoring, and tracking purposes. It's one of the best tools to manage and collaborate on project tasks in parallel to any other project management tool like Primavera, SAP-Projects Systems, or Microsoft Project.
  • It is easy to use and record a project's tasks.
  • The manager or any responsible team member can assign/reassign a task to other team members. It also sends email to all the participants and team members who are responsible for delivery of the task
  • The free version of Asana also comes with lots of features - like task assignment, monitoring, and tracking, email alerts, status tracking based on due dates etc.
  • It is good for managing tasks but has limitations if you need to track bugs/issues. For a bug tracking system one would also need some other information fields like Bug ID, Customer, Severity / Priority etc.
  • Adding custom fields - Not sure whether Asana allows it.
  • It allows you to attach documents. But it should allow you to put a screenshot in line with the text so that the person reading the description of the task/issue doesn't have to refer to an attachment for small screenshots.
If you are a manager or a team lead, Asana is one of the finest applications for managing, tracking task that keeps you in control of your deliverables. It also keeps track and records historical data and tasks. You can also refer to old similar issue if you have across in the past. It also allows you to merge, duplicate or delete a particular task. For quick review, Asana also has a mobile app that can be downloaded.
I don't remember if we've had to get into a customer support call. Most of the functionalities are easy to use or explained on their website.
Read Anish Walinjkar's full review
Ryan Durry | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 21, 2019

Easy to use but flexible enough to solve most of your daily problems

We started using Asana in just my department (creative services), but it organically caught on when other teams saw us using it, and eventually the organization decided to upgrade to the paid account for all staff. It has become an essential daily tool for all teams for a huge variety of tasks.
  • Ease of use and access.
  • Shared locations for tasks and notes.
  • Easy retrieval of historical data and notes.
  • Does not work well as a communication tool -- email and chat functions still used to supplement daily workflow.
  • Daily calendars are not an option -- meeting invites and availability still fall to other tools.
  • Workload and portfolio management tools have moved to more expensive tiers and are out of reach for our team.
Asana is exceptionally well suited to replace your daily notebook or pile of post-its. Ease of use and access mean it is always there for you and won't slow you down. Meeting agendas and shared notetaking have really improved our office. The only areas it falls short are in calendar management and communication. I would be thrilled if I could move further away from Outlook in my daily work, but Asana just doesn't quite do it.
We have not encountered a lot of issues, and Asana training opportunities have covered most of our needs, so our need for support has been minimal. When I have worked with them though, the experience has been pleasant and helpful. My biggest gripe is in rising costs and features (like Portfolios) being pulled out of lower-level tiers and put behind the higher-cost access.
Read Ryan Durry's full review
Alicia Barevich, bCRE, bCEE | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 21, 2019

Pretty Project Management!

Asana is a great project management tool for complex projects with lots of tasks and lots of participants. It is quite customizable, though many of the visual tweaks need to be made each time—there isn't excellent/smooth "template" capability, which hinders its "out of the box" usability. However, when project plans are made thoughtfully, they can be exceptionally beautiful and well organized.
  • Ability to hold editable information in multiple locations across a project plan. Steps, comments, sub-steps, etc.
  • Ability to check off tasks with an audit log.
  • Email reminders
  • Different customizable views.
  • I wish there were better "template" options. In order to streamline many projects with a similar look and feel, a lot of effort needs to go into creating a style guide for how they should be set up. This isn't critical but can maximize the use of Asana. However, with the granular effort it takes, and leaving room for human error when managing it, your projects can turn disorganized fairly quickly.
  • There are numerous menus and views but they can get cluttered together. Similar to templates, I wish you could better customize all of the elements of views and what you see in menus.
Project management, especially with multiple users! You can clearly specify who is responsible for each task, and they can complete it. Participants can have a dialog with comments and pass tasks between each other. It's an easy way to manage projects and analyze accountability.
I've never contacted Asana support.
Read Alicia Barevich, bCRE, bCEE's full review
EDUARDO SANDOVAL | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 27, 2019

A very easy to use project manager

Asana is a very good option for the management of projects and the monitoring of assigned tasks, in my work I have several people in my team, so it is necessary to constantly monitor the tasks and projects in execution to ensure that they are carried out in the best way possible. It is there that Asana makes my work much easier since the application allows me to do the respective follow-up to the work without having to move from place to place.
  • Asana is very easy to use.
  • It integrates very well with other applications allowing data sharing.
  • It is an economic solution.
  • It is an application that is well oriented.
  • Technical support is sometimes slow.
  • Does not allow for customization of funds.
  • It does not have a very reliable security system.
Asana allows us to collect the weekly advances and present them easily in a single report detailing the projection, progress, and delays.
It is a point to improve, on one occasion I entered a support request and it took more than three days to respond, and when they gave it was no longer needed.
Read EDUARDO SANDOVAL's full review
María Lucía Santagata | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 21, 2019

Asana: friendly interface to keep your projects healthy and happy

Actually Asana is being used across the whole organization, but my area was the one that introduced the tool to the company. We needed to find a tool that allows us to track our tasks and to organize the team's tasks, share the projects with other areas, schedule the projects, set due dates, share files and information, etc. Asana address all those issues.
  • It's very intuitive to use and its interface is modern and nice. Other project management tools don't have as nice an interface as Asana has.
  • It allows you to manage a LOT of projects and to customize them separately depending on the characteristics of each one.
  • It works smoothly in different navigators and also the desktop version works very well.
  • It allows integrations with great tools, such as Everhour.
  • The free version is very plain, I understand that nothing's for free but I think that, if it had some more functionalities available in the free version more people would buy the complete one.
  • I would like to use Asana in my phone without having to download the app.
  • Sometimes the notifications get spammy, I know you can deactivate some and activate others but, as default, they end up being spam and most of the times I lose the only ones I care about (when a task is done and when comments are made on a task).
In my experience, Asana solved a lot of problems where I work, a growing department at a growing company. When we had fewer clients (or small clients) it was easy to work without a friendly project management tool, but when clients got bigger and we started to [have] A LOT our work became messy and stressful. I think it's a well suited tool when your area or your company gets bigger.
Honestly I had to ask them for support only one time, so I can't rate them properly. That one time they gave me adequate support and the response came in an adequate time too. Being a tool as easy to use as it is - it's not very frequent that we need support from them.
Read María Lucía Santagata's full review
Erin Harris | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2019

Asana for easier project management

Asana is being used by Cantle Tech to manage projects of remote employees. We are located all over the country and we work on cross-team platforms. We needed a project management package to keep up with everything on a task-by-task basis.
  • Organizes Tasks among members of a project team
  • Keeps the timeline current
  • Ability to integrate with Google Drive
  • I lose tasks in the lists.
  • Email notifications get confusing
Asana is well-suited for remote teams who work on multiple projects at once. You don't have to be an expert to use Asana. It's very user friendly and adaptable for organizations.
I haven't had to reach out to their support.
Read Erin Harris's full review
Jessica Sforza | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 14, 2019

Great tool for timeline and big picture project management

We used Asana in collaboration with another agency on an event campaign for a Fortune 500 client. It enabled us to timeline out the project, share with the wider team and list to-dos. It worked well as the project was a rush so we were able to highlight key areas that needed addressing quickly by the client.
  • Waterfall view of the timeline.
  • I like the drag/drop feature, and simplicity of using the tool.
  • Limited functionality.
  • You're able to see the big picture of what we need to accomplish, but not a great collaborating tool if the team is remote.
  • I found it tricky to sign-up and get set up in the tool.
Asana is great for high-level timelines and sharing with clients. It gives a great snapshot of everything we need to achieve or have already completed. I wouldn't describe the tool as full-service as I couldn't really collaborate in it or work on risks/opportunities. However, it is great for sharing directly with clients. For this reason, I would recommend it.
I haven't had to use the support for Asana yet!
Read Jessica Sforza's full review
Eric Serdar | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 14, 2019

I love Asana!

Asana is our project management tool that we're using to keep track of our projects, tasks, and most of our strategic initiatives. It's used extensively by most of the company. Our Dev team still uses JIRA for running its sprints, however, marketing, operations, and business development all use Asana and it has helped us coordinate better and reduce lag time between departments.
  • Task management - It helps us keep track of all of the tasks that we're working on, prioritizing them, and making sure that they get completed.
  • Team collaboration - It makes it easy to work with other teams/departments and collaborate together.
  • I would love the ability to comment on files in the app. If someone uploads a pdf or a doc that needs review, then I have to download it, comment on it, and then reupload it. I would love it if it had a way to make comments on the document itself.
  • I wish that I could see all of the tasks that I'm a follower of. If you're not the one that the task is assigned to, then it doesn't show up in your feed. Having some sort of report of tasks that you're a follower on would be really helpful.
We do a lot of cross-team/department work so it's been really nice to tag someone in the task and ask for their review/approval. They can easily pop into the task, review, approve, and leave comments for us to review. It's sped up our process and eliminated drag in our organization. It is also really nice to have a paper trail of what was communicated and to refer back to in cases where we're not sure what we agreed upon on previously.
I haven't had to have any interactions with their customer support. So, I guess that means they get a 10 because I never have to talk to them! When the recent system outage happened, they were very active on twitter trying to communicate with people and give an update on what was going on.
Read Eric Serdar's full review
Veronika Baranovska | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 12, 2019

Bring some Asana into your working day with this gem of a project management tool! 💎

Asana is used almost across our whole organisation, except the development team who are using JIRA instead. For marketing, sales, customer success, sales and management, Asana is a brilliant tool that helps us improve:
  • Project management and delivery
  • Productivity and teamwork
  • Clarity and cross-team communication
There are a few aspects that make Asana stand out among other project management tools that we've used in the past. The most important to us is transparency and usability.
  • Most of our teams organise their work based on Sprints or Kanban, and Asana allows us to not only to plan our work but make it visible throughout the whole company. This not only improves communication between teams (when those requests come in) but also helps us record all of our work, track results and eventually, celebrate our wins.

• If you've logged into Asana at least once, you will know what I mean about good usability. The app is such a pleasure to use! The colours of the UI and where all features are places help you feel even more satisfied when work is done.
  • Broad functionality to suit teams of different sizes and styles of project management
  • Pleasant user experience
  • Easy to use and learn
  • Better workflows and structure for developers
  • Work in offline mode (new feature but could save a few minutes when my Internet connection cuts off)
  • Can be slow to load on big projects ( very rarely )
All types of marketing projects suit Asana very well. From running campaigns that have multiple aspects to managing a content calendar and creating content pieces, marketers tend to love Asana for the ability to visually represent their work and plan it in advance.

I know our customer success team also likes to use it for different types of processes, playbooks and handovers for clients as the template feature helps streamline any kind of repetitive work.
Have never needed to get in touch with the support on Asana and I think that's more than most SaaS companies can say. I'm sure they get enquiries from enterprise clients but for a small-to-medium business like us, it's perfect and no additional support has been needed.

Asana also has a brilliant user forum and blogs explaining everything you might have a question on.
Read Veronika Baranovska's full review
Valentina Gutierrez | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 11, 2019

Asana is a great tool for managing projects

Our organization feels very satisfied with the use of Asana, mainly because it is so economical and is of such good quality. Asana is very good integrating to all types of external platforms. Its API tool is very useful when it comes to improving integrations and optimizing results. Asana offers many online options when it comes to training on the use of the platform. We really liked your seminars, because they are quite complete.
  • It has monitoring of the percentage of progression of computer projects.
  • It gives us tools for displaying errors and can be installed on both desktop computers and mobile phones.
  • It has an excellent monitoring of milestones and a good collection of documents.
  • Your marketing planning software does not provide the ability to manage expenses.
  • In business process management you do not have data mapping or a complete analysis of the processes.
  • Your campaign management has no activations per event.
Asana is one of the easiest software to use to manage project processes and tasks. It helps not waste time and is beneficial in terms of a functionality-price ratio. Asana organizes all the team's work as goals, calendars, files, notes among others. Therefore, any organization, small or large, can be sure to use this software to streamline their projects and tasks while all members collaborate.
My satisfaction is completely satisfied with each part of the support team, they always have time to turn out every doubt or problem that arises. If it is a team, it is extremely easy to make an investment.
Read Valentina Gutierrez's full review
Chandos Schorstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 10, 2019

Asana, project management at a great price....Nothing!

We use Asana to manage both personal and group projects across many different ministries in our church. We have groups, assignments, dates, and more for projects that range from long term to quick to-dos. Its best feature is how easy it is to assign and track projects to people to keep them accountable for the work they're doing.
  • Time management is fantastic. I can set multiple dates within a single larger project by using subtasks. That allows me to set overall goals as well as reminders for the smaller parts of jobs.
  • Assigning projects to team members, and myself, is a breeze. It's easy to identify at a glance who is responsible for what task in any given project.
  • Having a personal to-do list is also helpful. It keeps track of all of the projects you're assigned in one place.
  • Asana's inbox feed is great for keeping track of conversations you have on projects, reminders for due items, and anywhere you've been tagged or added to any project.
  • The cost for Professional is more expensive than our non-profit/church can afford. If there were either lower-cost options, or better pricing for churches, we would love the additional features Asana offers
  • The notifications aren't great. It overwhelmingly sends too many emails, so much so that I had to turn off notifications completely, and just rely on the internal Asana inbox.
  • There absolutely needs to be a desktop app. The mobile app is great, but not having one on my Mac makes using it cumbersome when it shouldn't be.
Asana is great for organizations that have many people working on many projects, and where you have managers who like to see the big picture when it comes to project management. It's also extremely helpful for orgs where multiple people are working in many projects as a way to easily keep track of progress and to-dos. Smaller organizations may be a bit overwhelmed by how large Asana can get, but it can be used simply or on a larger scale. For some non-profits, specifically churches, you don't qualify for their discounted rate, so upgrading can be quite expensive.
I have yet to have to contact Asana's support, other than to request info about their non-profit pricing structure. Based on how quickly they responded to that, and how well everything works, I would imagine their support is top-notch. However, I can't guarantee that, as we have never used it.
Read Chandos Schorstein's full review
Billy Barker | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 10, 2019

Creative Directors ♥ Asana!

Originally, our Marketing Team started out using Asana, which then rolled out to the entire organization based on how effective it was in managing projects and daily tasks. Speaking specifically about Marketing, we have so many different tasks to complete each day, and before Asana, task management was handled using a combination of my Email Inbox and a notepad on my desk -- obviously, Asana completely solved that outdated task management problem.
  • Collaboration: Asana is a huge time-saver for each team member to be able to see what everyone is working on, in regards to the status, due date, etc.
  • Task Management: Asana makes task management easy. I have one monitor dedicated to my Asana Tasks screen, and I always know what needs to be worked on and what's coming up.
  • Efficiency: The ability for team members to easily assign tasks to one another, with notes, due dates, etc. is so much easier and faster than communicating these details via Email or in a meeting. This makes things more efficient for me, so I can stay more focused on the work at hand.
  • I would like the ability to block available due dates when co-workers assign me tasks. For example, if I am going to be out of the office for 7 days, 3 months from now, I would like to set those 7 days as unavailable. Then when co-workers go to assign a task to me, they do not select those dates, and understand I will not be able to complete any work during that time frame. This resolves the issue of wasting time having to go back and forth messaging one another or figuring out a more accurate due date when it could have been avoided from the start.
To me, Asana seems like more of a project management tool for teams that have to manage a lot of tasks, with a lot of important details. I don't think Asana is as valuable for personal use, or if you need to manage a few minimal projects every so often.
I've never had to contact support. There was only one time that I started to look into contacting support because Asana was not loading, but then I found their status page on their website that showed Asana was down at the moment. Other than that, it's been no problem at all.
Read Billy Barker's full review

Task Management (100)
Resource Management (84)
Gantt Charts (2)
6.5
Scheduling (91)
Workflow Automation (76)
Team Collaboration (100)
Support for Agile Methodology (7)
Support for Waterfall Methodology (7)
Document Management (87)
Email integration (82)
Mobile Access (85)
Timesheet Tracking (6)
6.1
Change request and Case Management (4)
Budget and Expense Management (43)
Project & financial reporting (1)
5.5
Integration with accounting software (20)

About Asana

Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives. The vendor states that with Asana, teams are more confident, move faster, and accomplish more with less, no matter where they are located. Asana boasts more than 75,000 paying organizations and millions of free organizations across 195 countries as users, who manage everything from company objectives to digital transformation to product launches and marketing campaigns. Teams do great things when everyone has clarity and is empowered to do their part. Asana aims to give teams the confidence to plan, organize, and execute their most ambitious work from anywhere.

Asana Features

Has featureBudget and Expense Management
Professional Services Automation Features
Does not have featureQuotes/estimates
Does not have featureInvoicing
Does not have featureProject & financial reporting
Has featureIntegration with accounting software

Asana Screenshots

Asana Integrations

Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Microsoft Teams, Jira Software, Slack, GitHub, Zapier, Microsoft Power BI, Salesforce, Adobe Creative Cloud, Tableau

Asana Competitors