https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/ue/Jx/ZEAMWGLA4T3U.PNGAsana - a great agency PM toolI work at a mid-sized digital agency that has used Asana for several years. When we first adopted Asana, I was the technical project manager. As the technical PM I was responsible for managing 20+ website projects at once as well as support tickets from previous clients. Asana was a great way to assign accountability to specific team members and assign due dates to keep projects moving forward. Before Asana, we handled everything through email. It was a nightmare trying to keep track of the status of each project and the relationships between tasks. For me, more than anything, Asana is great for assigning "ownership," which is key to actually getting things done. Though I am no longer a PM, I still use Asana daily to assign responsibilities to my team and keep track of project calendars.,Fast: Unlike other PM platforms I've used, Asana is very fast. In fact, it's so fast that when you leave a comment on a task, anyone else looking at that task at the same time will actually see updates as you type. You can easily move tasks into different projects by dragging and dropping. There is no lag time between opening new projects and tasks. Everything seems to load instantaneously. Intuitive: Asana doesn't have a steep learning curve. The default view is list-based. Your team will have no problem learning how to add new tasks, use the WYSIWYG editor, or assign tasks. Use familiar commands like "@" to tag a follower on a task. Keyboard shortcuts: The keyboard shortcuts are incredibly helpful. Simply press enter to enter a new task, tab+backspace to delete, use familiar copy/paste and undo commands, and much more. PMs with a lot to juggle will appreciate the shortcuts. My Tasks: The "my tasks" view provides a single, centralized location for you to see everything on your plate. Use section headings and drag and drop tasks to re-order. I use this to prioritize my week. It helps me focus on what's really important. Searchability: The search in Asana is intuitive. Our task backlog dates back three years, and I can still almost always find what I'm looking for via a simple keyword search. Projects are archived, not deleted, so I always feel like my historical information is safe. Flexibility: Projects can be set up as a waterfall/list view or as kanban. This product should work well for teams with different styles. Integrations: Asana integrates with everything. There's a great Slack integration, but my favorite is the Instagantt integration. Using Instagantt in tandem with asana is a super easy way to create attractive digital project calendars.,Emails: Asana can lead to inbox-overload. By default, you are subscribed to updates on any task that you create or follow. Updates include someone marking a task complete, leaving a comment on a task, or adding a file to a task. This means that if your coworker adds a file, makes a comment, then assigns the task back to you, then marks the task complete, you're looking at 4 emails in 10 seconds. You can always unsubscribe from emails or write rules to categorize them in your inbox, but the default setting will leave you inundated. Assigning responsibility to multiple team members: It is possible to assign a task to multiple members of your team, but I don't like the way asana handles this. Rather than assigning the one task to multiple people, asana creates DUPLICATES of the original task. This can be frustrating because it creates redundancy. Dependencies: Assigning dependencies is a new feature for asana. While it's great that this is now possible, it's pretty clear that it's not a focus for the software. The dependencies don't show up clearly in the list view, though they are obvious within the task view. Overwhelming: This is probably more of a governance issue for my team specifically, but our Asana has gotten overwhelming. I count the flexibility of Asana as a pro, but it does come with risk. The lack of rules and controls leads to a "wild west" situation where anyone can organize tasks, projects, templates, etc. anyway they want. We have some team members organizing all their tasks by team function, others organizing tasks by project, others using entirely separate Asana workspaces, etc.,9,I think Asana has had a positive ROI for our business because it allows us to complete projects on time. Without a project management system, I think it's really easy for tasks to fall through the cracks, which leads to project delays and unhappy clients. Because Asana integrates with Instagantt, it prevents us from needing to buy separate tools. We were paying $10 per month for SmartSheets to deliver client calendars, but we were able to eliminate this expense by using the Instagantt integration. Collaboration is key to projects. Prior to Asana, most of our collaboration happened over email, where it was easy to lose track of action items. asana helps us organize collaboration around specific tasks, giving the team more actionable next steps.,Wrike, JIRA Software, Podio, Trello and Wunderlist,Balsamiq, InVision, TSheetsAsana is the best project management platform ever!I use Asana to organize the different projects of each of my clients and the task of each of my employees. It allows me to track the progress of each project especially when it comes to completion of task and sub-task. The ability to put due dates and hierarchy of urgency of each task allows us to see which task we should focus on first. I can easily manage the projects and my team through Asana. The comments feature in each section, task and subtask allow all the tag people to view the questions and comments of the assigned team members. The calendar feature is pretty cool too since I can view all the due tasks of the day and I can easily follow-up with the assigned team members. Overall, it keeps the project fulfillment smooth and easy.,Asana allows you to organize your task through a list or through boards. Asana has a great user interface so it's easy for you to locate the projects and the pieces of tasks under each project. Asana's "My Tasks" feature allows you to see all the tasks assigned to you and you can re-arrange them according to priority level. Asana allows me to attach files to each task which allows us to see the progress of the project. It allows you to comment on the current files and the owner of the task can revise it then according to your instructions.,It's not that easy to change or update the name of the title. You need to click the arrow down button beside the title to edit. I believe it should be easier like just click on the current title and change it. I would like Asana to put a feature like Facebook and LinkedIn where you know who's online and who's not online. Because if the person-in-charge is online you can communicate with him real time rather than waiting for him to respond later on. I would be glad too if they add a voice call or video call feature so that if you have concerns and the person you would like to talk to is online you can speak with him right away. Some comments or revisions just needs to be explained through a call to eliminate misunderstandings.,10,Asana allowed us to finish our projects on time which allowed us to please the client and get more projects from them. Asana helped my team to be more efficient in fulfilling their tasks since they know to finish the most important task first down to the least important task. Overall, it helps us to be more efficient and effective in doing our work and it helped us to get the loyalty of our existing clients. Our revenue increased and employee satisfaction increased too.,Trello and Basecamp,Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Dropbox, Xero,10,2,We use it for project fulfillment of web development projects. We also use it for tracking our research projects. We use it to efficiently and effectively collaborate with each team member.,We were able to use Asana to pinpoint the less important tasks from the most important tasks. Our style is once you're done with the task, you assign it to your immediate head for review. We put a comment we are the done with the task and we provide the file link in the comment box. This way all our task are getting reviewed before they are marked as completed. We found that the "Team Conversations" feature is a great way to collaborate on some ideas or concerns. It's our brainstorming area.,We can use Asana track our specific business goals and see how we are progressing so far. We would like to use Asana as well to track our admin tasks and creating project templates. We can use Asana to eventually track services that we need to upsell to our existing satisfied clients.,10Asana is great for your A team!Asana was being used as our primary task tracking software after we switched from Basecamp. We were only using a task tracking software for our marketing department but then decided to switch to Asana when we wanted to integrate more departments into the mix. Asana has helped us keep a larger number of team members more organized than we were able to with Basecamp.,Asana is great at keeping a slightly larger group organized and on task. It is a great "to do" list, I love checking item off when completed. And call me a millennial, but I love that you can turn on those cute animations as a reward for each task you check off. Asana is great for keeping files in order and sharing files amongst our team in addition to tracking our tasks,Right now we're migrating from Asana to Monday. In comparison, Asana seems like it is MUCH more basic than Monday. I'd say, it would benefit Asana to implement some of the capabilities which Monday offers.,9,Asana has allowed our team to improve out ability to complete tasks in a timely manner so it has to have been a benefit. I really don't see it being a hinderance in any manner.,monday (formerly dapulse),monday (formerly dapulse), SlackIf you are just starting, this is how you collaborate.We start the lifecycle of the product using Asana, Designers are assigned tasks to create wireframes and minimal designs which are uploaded and linked to the group with checkboxes. This is then passed on to following teams, and the process continues until testing.,Ability to integrate bitbucket. Commits on one place can reflect here. Ability to let the whole team know what page other developers are on. Letting the management know how the deadline is approached, and what are the areas where things got stuck, the reasons, and rectification for next release,Pricing for smaller businessess The starting package can have more number of minimum users. Integration with UI tools like Zeplin, sketch, and terminal can be added.,9,I went for the free model of the product. It was good for the team when we were small. Overall progress was visible everyday Removed scrum meetings for us in the initial days,Trello,Trello, JIRA Software, SlackAsana - Taking our Design Team to the next level!Several departments within our company use Asana. Each in a varying capacity. Our design team uses Asana to organize everything from basic ideas to fully approved designs. It is so nice to be able to log on and quickly identify the status of a project, who is assigned to it and any updates you may have missed. Also, the assigning of tasks to individuals is very convenient and eliminates any opportunity for miscommunication or doubling effort resulting in mistakes or wasted time. It is very visual which is extremely user-friendly for the environment in which we use its capabilities.,Multiple users can access the program at once without stepping on each other's toes or having to wait until someone is out a project to add something. It is definitely a group friendly program. We like how visually pleasing it is. It is not at all intimidating to first-time users as it is very user-friendly. You can quickly find what you need and become comfortable with its features and functions. I personally like being able to assign different tasks to different employees and be able to receive feedback and progress directly from that assigned person as well as view it myself.,I personally have not found anything that I would recommend at this time. However, I have noticed that the older generation of employees struggle with its style where the computer savvy and younger generation thrive. I have no idea how Asana could overcome that obstacle.,10,Our design group is working more fluidly and productive as a team with Asana's help. Asana keeps our many projects organized and on point. Improved productivity with easy monitoring The employees enjoy the program as much as the managers do. It allows each person to move at their own pace.,,Mavenlink, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions, Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Asana

Asana Reviews

Asana
Top Rated Award
Filter 674 vetted Asana reviews and ratings
May 29, 2018

User Review: "Asana - a great agency PM tool"

• Fast: Unlike other PM platforms I've used, Asana is very fast. In fact, it's so fast that when you leave a comment on a task, anyone else looking at that task at the same time will actually see updates as you type. You can easily move tasks into different projects by dragging and dropping. There is no lag time between opening new projects and tasks. Everything seems to load instantaneously.
  • Intuitive: Asana doesn't have a steep learning curve. The default view is list-based. Your team will have no problem learning how to add new tasks, use the WYSIWYG editor, or assign tasks. Use familiar commands like "@" to tag a follower on a task.
  • Keyboard shortcuts: The keyboard shortcuts are incredibly helpful. Simply press enter to enter a new task, tab+backspace to delete, use familiar copy/paste and undo commands, and much more. PMs with a lot to juggle will appreciate the shortcuts.
  • My Tasks: The "my tasks" view provides a single, centralized location for you to see everything on your plate. Use section headings and drag and drop tasks to re-order. I use this to prioritize my week. It helps me focus on what's really important.
  • Searchability: The search in Asana is intuitive. Our task backlog dates back three years, and I can still almost always find what I'm looking for via a simple keyword search. Projects are archived, not deleted, so I always feel like my historical information is safe.
  • Flexibility: Projects can be set up as a waterfall/list view or as kanban. This product should work well for teams with different styles.
  • Integrations: Asana integrates with everything. There's a great Slack integration, but my favorite is the Instagantt integration. Using Instagantt in tandem with asana is a super easy way to create attractive digital project calendars.
  • Emails: Asana can lead to inbox-overload. By default, you are subscribed to updates on any task that you create or follow. Updates include someone marking a task complete, leaving a comment on a task, or adding a file to a task. This means that if your coworker adds a file, makes a comment, then assigns the task back to you, then marks the task complete, you're looking at 4 emails in 10 seconds. You can always unsubscribe from emails or write rules to categorize them in your inbox, but the default setting will leave you inundated.
  • Assigning responsibility to multiple team members: It is possible to assign a task to multiple members of your team, but I don't like the way asana handles this. Rather than assigning the one task to multiple people, asana creates DUPLICATES of the original task. This can be frustrating because it creates redundancy.
  • Dependencies: Assigning dependencies is a new feature for asana. While it's great that this is now possible, it's pretty clear that it's not a focus for the software. The dependencies don't show up clearly in the list view, though they are obvious within the task view.
  • Overwhelming: This is probably more of a governance issue for my team specifically, but our Asana has gotten overwhelming. I count the flexibility of Asana as a pro, but it does come with risk. The lack of rules and controls leads to a "wild west" situation where anyone can organize tasks, projects, templates, etc. anyway they want. We have some team members organizing all their tasks by team function, others organizing tasks by project, others using entirely separate Asana workspaces, etc.
Overall, despite its drawbacks, Asana works really well for our team. I think this is an appropriate [tool] for a mid-sized digital marketing firm, like ourselves. A software development team is going to want something more robust, like JIRA. However, if you're just shopping for an easy-to-learn tool that will help you manage responsibilities without relying on email? Asana is perfect. Its flexibility also makes it a great fit for most work-flows in almost any industry. Asana is simple out-of-the-box, but it does have robust functionalities that will allow your team to ramp up if desired.
Read Elizabeth Coppinger's full review
May 07, 2018

Review: "Asana is the best project management platform ever!"

• Asana allows you to organize your task through a list or through boards.
  • Asana has a great user interface so it's easy for you to locate the projects and the pieces of tasks under each project.
  • Asana's "My Tasks" feature allows you to see all the tasks assigned to you and you can re-arrange them according to priority level.
  • Asana allows me to attach files to each task which allows us to see the progress of the project. It allows you to comment on the current files and the owner of the task can revise it then according to your instructions.
  • It's not that easy to change or update the name of the title. You need to click the arrow down button beside the title to edit. I believe it should be easier like just click on the current title and change it.
  • I would like Asana to put a feature like Facebook and LinkedIn where you know who's online and who's not online. Because if the person-in-charge is online you can communicate with him real time rather than waiting for him to respond later on.
  • I would be glad too if they add a voice call or video call feature so that if you have concerns and the person you would like to talk to is online you can speak with him right away. Some comments or revisions just needs to be explained through a call to eliminate misunderstandings.
Asana is very suitable for creating milestones for app development, web development, marketing projects, lead generation projects, project fulfillment and tracking the progress all the goals and targets of the team. It less appropriate for tracking sales, storing customer details, software development (JIRA is more appropriate for this). I will highly recommend Asana to start-ups as well as corporate teams to organize their workflows very well.
Read Brent Lionel Mausisa's full review
August 08, 2018

User Review: "Asana is great for your A team!"

• Asana is great at keeping a slightly larger group organized and on task. It is a great "to do" list, I love checking item off when completed. And call me a millennial, but I love that you can turn on those cute animations as a reward for each task you check off.
  • Asana is great for keeping files in order and sharing files amongst our team in addition to tracking our tasks
  • Right now we're migrating from Asana to Monday. In comparison, Asana seems like it is MUCH more basic than Monday. I'd say, it would benefit Asana to implement some of the capabilities which Monday offers.
I'd say Asana is appropriate for small to medium sized teams/companies/departments. Our needs have grown and as such, Asana just can't fulfill some of those needs. We have a lot of people working remotely so it still offers the benefit of keeping everyone on track but we need something that offers better real time communication almost like a messaging service.
Read Kelly Reumann's full review
June 21, 2018

Asana: "If you are just starting, this is how you collaborate."

• Ability to integrate bitbucket.
  • Commits on one place can reflect here.
  • Ability to let the whole team know what page other developers are on.
  • Letting the management know how the deadline is approached, and what are the areas where things got stuck, the reasons, and rectification for next release
  • Pricing for smaller businessess
  • The starting package can have more number of minimum users.
  • Integration with UI tools like Zeplin, sketch, and terminal can be added.
  • Well suited - For smaller products, while designing an MVP.
  • Less appropriate - Bigger product with too many members.
Read Saurabh Yadav's full review
May 07, 2018

Review: "Asana - Taking our Design Team to the next level!"

• Multiple users can access the program at once without stepping on each other's toes or having to wait until someone is out a project to add something. It is definitely a group friendly program.
  • We like how visually pleasing it is. It is not at all intimidating to first-time users as it is very user-friendly. You can quickly find what you need and become comfortable with its features and functions.
  • I personally like being able to assign different tasks to different employees and be able to receive feedback and progress directly from that assigned person as well as view it myself.
  • I personally have not found anything that I would recommend at this time. However, I have noticed that the older generation of employees struggle with its style where the computer savvy and younger generation thrive. I have no idea how Asana could overcome that obstacle.
If you have a team of employees that you would like to view their progress, assign different tasks to various employees based on their specific talents or qualifications and have all projects tracked while doing so, this is the program for you. It has options to hold ideas, images, mood boards, as well as your products being developed and put on the market. It keeps everyone in the department up to speed and not just the one person in charge of it and their supervisor.
June 27, 2018

Asana Review: "Excellent Collaboration tool"

Most of the projects are managed through Asana. This allows us to organise and plan out our current a future workloads. It also allows us to easily provide customers with updates based on the progress of their project and any task outstanding. We can use the template feature to recreate the projects and update the specific tasks as necessary.
  • I can keep track of everything that's happening with my project in a very simple way.
  • It is simple to use, great looking dashboard. Asana has the right amount of features for people looking to add to their regular to-do apps.
  • The Android application contain all the basic functions. However, it's much more convenient to work from the desktop.
  • Reporting is quick weak.
Asana is a great tool even if just used at a basic level. However there is lot of added benefit from spending time learning all the additional features that can be used and turn it into a very powerful project management tool, such as task dependencies, recurring tasks, sharing tasks between multiple projects etc.
July 13, 2018

Asana Review: "Great for task management"

Our entire marketing team uses Asana for tracking and managing almost every project and task we do.
  • Great for keeping track of projects and tasks.
  • Dependencies are really useful as well. You can mark certain tasks as being dependent on other tasks.
  • You can also create project timelines which are great for visualizing the lifetime of a project.
  • There's a lot of stuff that gets lost in Asana. Sometimes you really need to be able to keep files in a universal place and not have them get lost in a task or subtask of a task. In that regard things can get confusing sometimes.
Great for task management. But must be used in conjunction with services like google drive and an internal knowledge base.
October 20, 2017

Asana Review: "Best tool for productivity enthusiasts."

Well designed for managing team projects and workflows, Easy to handle task management. The board system is really useful and its great to handle activity tracking of employees. Mobile app is very easy and nice UI.

It helped with:

• Task management.
  • Team project and Workflow maintenance.
  • Activity tracking of employees.
  • Project management and workflow
  • Create customized lists of tasks and reminders.
  • Employee activity tracking
  • One-time solution for project tracking
  • Little complex UX for beginners
  • Site is a little heavy to load
Well suited

• Project management with a large team.
  • Manage proper workflow.
  • Managing very big projects.
  • Activity tracking for employees.
Read Jestin Sebastian's full review
October 10, 2017

Asana Review: "Digital Manager for the Digital Age"

I worked as a marketing consultant for some time and was able to manage up to ten projects with Asana at the same time. This service helps to virtually eliminate working with e-mail and work much more efficiently. People in my team know exactly what to do and when to do it. My clients know exactly what is happening with their projects. And I know how to plan my day. Communication is directly related to tasks and results - this is really important.
  • Excellent iOS app (beware of the product for Android)
  • Free of charge, if you do not need to run a large team into the project.
  • Smart, intuitive interface
  • Configurable task repetition settings.
  • Supports hot keys
  • There is no Russian language version
  • No push to the browser
  • No project templates - this is a big bummer :-(
  • Not the best visual layout; something like DropTask
- At least 2 times a day go to the My tasks section and select the Calendar tab to monitor the task status and deadline
- Transfer tasks from work immediately from mail / chat to Asana
- You can not change the date of the task without comment
- If the user performed part of the task and had to transfer it to another responsible person, but forgot to do this, he and the project manager are to blame. If the task was moved to another user after 18:00, you also need to change the date by putting out tomorrow, and indicate the status in the comment to the task
- At the end of the working day there should not be a single task with the date of the current day
Read Oleg Galimov's full review
October 06, 2017

Review: "Asana is the queen of project management"

For my internship, it was used to assign editorial tasks. For my current job, it is used to assign tasks to various team members on various projects. Typically, the project manager does this, but if someone in another department needs to assign something to someone from another team, this can be done by any employee. It usually helps with any urgent tasks that anyone needs to outsource to another team, and lets people know what something needs to get done ASAP.
  • Keeps an organized list of what needs to get done.
  • Great tool for project managers to use to consolidate things into one interface.
  • Aesthetically pleasing interface.
  • It would be nice to have a list of the past tasks that I have completed, just so I can review the information that was in the description of the task, and gain access to whatever I turned in or attached to that task
  • Some of the features seem unnecessary, like the conversation one seems redundant, and the calendar, it's said in the task itself when it is due, no need to have calendar.
  • No need for an inbox when are tasked things, and they show up in your "my tasks".
Having an aggregated source of information in one place, it is a great tool for project managers, and team members to get things done more efficiently. It probably wouldn't be an appropriate place to have discussions, just because it will feel crowded with commentary and chats.
Read Suthe Mani's full review
February 16, 2018

Review: "Asana - a bit complicated, but does a good job"

It's being used as a task management and project management tool. Its easy integration with Gantt charts has made it very suitable to our company's needs. Creating tasks, assigning them to different people, setting deadlines, uploading files, leading discussions on every thread are just some of the features that the platform offers.
  • It's very easy to learn how to use its basic feature and start working with it straight away.
  • It could be used for company, as well as private projects.
  • Different teams can create individual channels and invite any team member to their respecting team.
  • Adding the option for a chat on the platform would be great.
  • It's very complex and in order to use all specific features, everyone needs to watch all tutorials, which is time-consuming.
  • Most of the time I find it difficult to find what I am looking for just because there are sections, subsections, project names, etc.
It's well suited if the company is willing to organize a training for all the employees, so they could use all the features of the platform. In case just a simple task management tool is needed, Asana is not suitable, as it is too complicated.
January 29, 2018

Asana Review: "Good if you successfully implement it"

We use Asana across our entire company for all projects, including recruitment, product, and internal operations. This platform is primarily leveraged by our younger associates and managers to track and assign projects, although our whole team is set up and has project assignment on the platform. Our more senior managers and executives do not use the platform because forcing behavior there is too hard and the platform is too complex to onboard them.
  • Allows you to assign projects to other teammates
  • Manage up by assigning superiors tasks to review, as opposed to bothering via email
  • Nice daily view that lets you see your most pressing tasks, and hides more long-term goals from view to avoid clutter
  • Great visual timeline feature to see project progress and deadlines
  • Really hard to force behavior on this platform - when I use it, I like it, but we are not consistent enough across our team to truly utilize it
  • Steep learning curve - it is not possible to really master this platform without the videos and tutorials, even for young tech-savvy employees
  • Hate having to add a specific date for each deliverable, but if you don't add a specific one, it clutters up the top of your task list
Asana is well suited for small to-do tasks and for managing up by assigning tasks to peers/ managers. It is less well suited for larger tasks, as the subtasks feature is not well tailored. It is also hard to use across a less tech-savvy team, as the layout is not terribly intuitive and doesn't follow any existing platform format.
November 21, 2017

User Review: "Project Management with Asana"

We use Asana organization-wide, it has been our saving grace when working to outfit tradeshows and management of everyday projects. We love being able to see open and closed tasks and communicate between departments to ensure that all information for a project is available to all and stored in one location!
  • Allows for uploads of attachments so all relevant back up is available.
  • Timeline and meeting scheduling and reminders all in one place.
  • You can clearly see what tasks have been completed and what is still outstanding.
  • Different options for project views
  • The ability to remove a member from a project even if you didn't start the project if an employee leaves the company.
  • Different snooze notification options.
Asana would be useful to any organization from corporate offices to restaurants, for task list keeping or supply orders, across the board, it's a great platform.
January 15, 2018

Asana Review: "Amazing Tool for Optimal Productivity"

In my previous job, we used Asana across the Marketing department. In my current job, I and a few others use Asana.
  • Extremely user-friendly
  • Great for collaboration
  • Easy to manage multiple projects across multiple departments
  • Ability to integrate with email calendar
Asana is an amazing project management tool as it allows you to create your to-do lists but also offers the ability to upload any files relevant to that specific project. It's easy to tag and assign tasks to colleagues, create multiple projects and keep them organized, in addition to collaborating across many departments without getting confused.
August 31, 2017

Asana Review: "Super-Powered To Do List!"

We all use ASANA to organise tasks within all work we do. It's the first thing to look at in the morning to organise your day. Because our small but growing workforce operates in several different locations an hour or two apart, ASANA helps us be a coordinated team.
  • Organise multiple projects simultaneously - for a startup this is so important because everyone has to pitch into a lot of different areas.
  • Headings within tasks helps a lot! Keeps a complex project organised.
  • We tried integrating a time keeping app to ASANA. It was fine but the truth is we didn't remember to start or stop the timer. What we really need is an easy method to estimate how long a task took right there in ASANA -- nothing too elaborate.
  • We would need to be able to download the projects and see how much time was spent on the whole project added up from the tasks within it -- the individual task times don't matter so much as time spent on a project by all working on it within a week or month.
Prioritising your day! I love to have a tick list of tasks to complete and deadlines for doing so. I did this in my notebook until ASANA came along to our office. Now tasks aren't so easily forgotten and they are kept up to date.
Read Karen Hansen's full review
October 17, 2016

Review: "Asana - fast and flexible task management"

We used Asana for project management and issue tracking across multiple departments. This helped us defined future goals, track current issues, and increase project visibility and communication between departments.
  • In my opinion, Asana is very easy to use and intuitive.
  • Setting up projects and organizing tasks is very quick and easy.
  • Granting outside access to tasks is very simple.
  • Multiple integrations exist to customize Asana to fit your particular style of project/task management.
  • Visibility into what other people are working on is limited.
  • No built in Gannt charting.
Asana seems very appropriate for small teams or companies with a flexible project structure. It is great for task management and organization but there other products that are better suited if you're looking for more traditional project management.
Read Ray Smith's full review
September 23, 2016

Review: "After several years, we moved from Asana to JIRA, but it's not Asana's fault"

We originally used Asana across the whole organization and segregated projects by department. The problems it helped address was communication and archiving of our issues. So, for example, if we needed to reference an issue that came up 2 years ago, we could easily search Asana, find it, and see the full history of that issue, including any attachments. This was one of my favorite features of the service.
  • The interface is intuitive, which makes it a breeze to use.
  • It gives a high level of visibility into each project with its calendars, user tagging and email notifications. I always know when something is updated and can see the changes right away.
  • The ability to tag everything made it easy for us to organize our projects to match our internal work flows.
  • We feel like it was missing some aspects of project management; specifically an Agile workflow for software development teams.
  • The dashboard doesn't seem to convey much useful information.
I think Asana is well suited for basic team communication and project management. I would especially recommend the free tier for small startup businesses who are looking for a team communication tool. I think it isn't suited very well for niche use-cases, like software development teams who prefer specific project management (PM) methodologies, like Agile, Scrum, Kanban, etc.
Read Casey Smith's full review
February 16, 2017

Asana Review: "The perfect program for telecommuting task tracking"

We use Asana to track all employee's projects, assign tasks and know their status. Asana keeps all the tasks simplified and everybody knows what they have to do. It's also pretty useful to set deadlines for the projects. Asana makes it really easy to see the development of every project. You can write comments, attach files, etc.
  • Track status of projects
  • Assign projects
  • Create a cooperative enviroment
  • Not too good for graphic projects..handling images etc
  • The app is quite chaotic
  • It could be easier to use
Really useful for telecommuting teams that work in different places and timetables and not so useful for a small office where everybody chats and have meetings frequently. If everybody is in the same room it's not necessary at all to have Asana and in my opinion, it can maybe make the environment less comfortable.
September 27, 2016

User Review: "Asana is awesome"

Asana is a great tool that helps track personal and company progress. We have used it for a couple of projects and have found it easy to use.
  • Progress tracker
  • Assigning/organizing tasks
  • Project management
  • Colors/theme customizaion
  • Conversations
  • Font/size options
Asana is great for organizing tasks and tracking progress, so it is great for professionals.
February 18, 2016

User Review: "Arts Administrator for Asana!"

Intersection uses Asana across all of our departments. Because we are interfacing with over 200 artists who use our Fiscal Sponsorship and Professional Development resources, we need a way to track all of the requests of our members outside of our inbox. Asana let's us track and prioritize our tasks in our daily and weekly tasks, but also let's us track the many individual requests we receive each day. It's also great that we can collaborate on tasks and gather information in one place, instead of creating long email threads.
  • Asana has an easy to use UI. Even if you don't get into the advanced things Asana can do for your project management, it's super easy to use and keeps even the most basic task lists organized.
  • Asana lets you view your tasks in multiple views. You can view all the tasks assigned to you or all the tasks under a certain project (i.e. HR). It also lets you customize the views within each project by due date or by other customizable priorities.
  • Asana's email to task and Google Chrome extensions make getting tasks out of your email and into Asana super easy. I forward a large percentage of my emails directly to Asana so that I can prioritize how I choose to follow up and respond to requests in my inbox.
  • I wish Asana had more customizable reporting. One of the benefits of using Asana is that you can track tasks and actually use those tasks to build repeatable processes, but decoding reports can be challenging.
  • Asana's printing functionality needs improvement. You can use Asana tasks to create agendas, for example, but it's not possible to print a clean agenda to share with a group who's not on Asana and/or doesn't have their computer at a meeting.
Asana is completely customizable! I would use it for almost all of my daily, weekly and one off tasks. It does take some time to start to think in "Asana-brain" rather than in "Email-brain." Asana works best when your whole team is on board and commits to using Asana as the main mode of internal communication. While it is easy to create templates out of tasks, you can't create project templates easily, so using it as a training module, for example, is difficult.
Read Melissa Miller's full review
June 09, 2016

User Review: "Asana - better team work"

I started using Asana for every project I run. Slowly more people in our organization started using it and we are currently less than 200 people working on the premium account. Different departments use it on a daily basis for managing their teams / projects. This is a great tool that is simple to use and customize. I would like to see better integration with TFS / JIRA and Salesforce so existing tools can talk with each other.
  • Simple to use, no need for admin to customize your projects
  • Get in fast and collaborate easily
  • Interact with your email system for those who still ike to use it
  • Easily deploy across your ORG along with your customers
  • Free integrations with TFS / JIRA and Salesforce
  • Add features for the management team (Directors / VPs)
  • Improve defects and SCRUM management capabilities
Asana is suitable for:

• Project management of remote teams
  • Custom ALM cycle
  • Cross ORG communication
Read Ronen Soreq's full review
November 11, 2015

Review: "Asana - All In One and Everything You Need"

At our company, we use Asana to manage all of our marketing and development projects and tasks. The platform is also used company wide to manage SOPs, interview process, on-boarding, bug-tracking, client relations, and AB test tracking, employee vacation tracking and more. It has helped us consolidate communication and reduce email overload by keeping relevant conversation and project artifacts in a single place with easy access and retrieval. It has streamlined our communication and collaboration on projects.
  • Full customizability - Asana does not force you to use their specific method of project management; instead, it allows you to customize the platform to meet your or your company's specific workflow.
  • DRI - Asana does go by the concept of having one Directly Responsible Individual per task, which helps eliminate confusion.
  • Extensibility - many other tools plug into Asana, allowing us to do things like consolidate a list of SOP's as Asana tasks with Google Docs links. We are also able to use plugins to track project and team member productivity and activity.
  • Reporting - it would be great to have full reporting available for tags, tasks, and projects. Currently, reporting is partially implemented and somewhat improved through third party plugins, but it could be much better.
  • Navigation - it's not always easy to navigate to places as it can sometimes be confusing when jumping between tasks.
  • Better calendar integration with Outlook/Google calendars could be useful for shared calendaring. We have work from home and vacation days that we add to our calendars and if we could write to our Asana project for that from our shared Google Calendar, it would keep things better in sync.
Asana can be used for many different applications and I don't believe there is a case where it could not be customized to fit the situation. As a team collaboration and communication solution, project management solution, or simple date tracking solution, Asana works across the board. I've helped implement it for construction companies, HR departments, software teams, marketing teams, customer service, and many more.
Read Kris Triplett's full review
September 30, 2015

Asana Review: "Effective organizational and team collaboration software for our small organization."

Asana is being used across the whole organization to manage multiple projects and tasks. We use it to collaborate teams across many different projects. Of particular help is ASANA's email reminders of tasks to be completed; this keeps critical tasks uppermost in our minds. The new project dashboard provides a visual representative of how a project is progressing.
  • Asana supports the management of many detailed tasks and keeps those tasks uppermost in our minds by emailing reminders of which tasks are upcoming and which tasks are due.
  • Asana simplifies team collaboration of complex projects. For example, within each task each team member can make comments, voice concerns, or ask questions. Then, each following that task receives an email update, and can respond. So within each task a running commentary and record is kept. Also, files can be added to each task so that each team member has access to documents that are pertinent to the completion of that task.
  • Asana assists in managing a number of complex projects at one time.
  • Asana has many functions that I wouldn't know anything about without accessing the "Help" guide. For example: I had no idea that I could turn an email that I received into a task. However, the "Help" guide is clear and detailed.
  • Asana is not totally intuitive in using and accessing all of its functions.
The entire team must be committed to functioning within ASANA in order for it to be effective in managing projects and tasks. Getting buy-in from first time users is not always easy; not everyone thinks, or functions, in this structured way. At the outset, it would be effective if one person became an ASANA specialist and provided training for new users.
ASANA is particularly useful if any of the team members are functioning remotely. ASANA keeps all team members in the loop of daily changes, additions, and communication.
Read Shauna Chymboryk, MPA's full review
March 18, 2015

Asana Review: "A winning tool that helps you win"

Asana is used as the main backlog system of record, task management and collaboration repository. Questions about features, feature capture and question resolution all reside within Asana. Automated task notification, deadline management and reporting all occur within Asana for us. It's used across the organization as we have no office and are small.
  • Manage tasks on a project level. Manage stories on a feature level.
  • Sprint management is very easy. I can organize a sprint quickly from the backlog and have a good understanding of what's being done and by whom.
  • A timeline feature would be huge for enterprise reporting. If you think about viewing a project, it's not just its sprint planning and task management that people want visibility to. It's, what happened and when over the life of the project. Having a timeline with a milestone-level view would help Asana gain traction in the enterprise.
  • A forecasting tool of delivery is a killer feature (remember killer apps?) for managers. Based on the delivery schedule for the past 50% of the project, we have X% confidence we're on track for final delivery. Now, some of this goes against agile principles but at the same time, so to people, projects and organizations.
well suited: teams of 1-10, agile development process and good tools to integrate with (github etc.).
less appropriate: enterprise teams of 11+ with no agile experience, waterfall process (or variant), with antiquated toolsets (Excel, MS Project etc.)
Read Ian Mortimer's full review
March 03, 2015

Asana Review: "Real task management and collaboration, not just document tracking/control"

Asana is being used in the Marketing and Communications department to manage and track our campaigns and quarterly content schedules, including social media tactics. Asana, an online task management tool, is used in conjunction with Google Drive integration (same with Dropbox) to make sure tasks, projects, and more importantly document management stays organized for everyone within the department. Without Asana, email would be the main communication/task/document management tool. When you do implement Asana, there has to be one dedicated champion and a second level person to help keep the tool running smoothly. Just like a file system or a shared drive, if you don't monitor it, anything that you save to it will be hard to find and become useless.
  • Everyone on the team can monitor the progress of all tasks.
  • Document control is managed with Asana as the front-end and Google Drive (or Dropbox) as the back-end.
  • There is no top-level admin therefore everyone can feel empowered to push tasks/projects along.
  • Documenting processes is simple.
  • Mobile app on both iOS and Android.
  • If you don't have a champion, the tool won't be used. Just like a shared drive, it has to be kept clean and organized or no one will use it.
  • No Gantt chart functionality.
  • Printing customization doesn't exist - i.e. doesn't show sub-tasks.
Asana could be used for a brainstorming tool but it really shines when tasks are defined, people are assigned and the project needs to be monitored and completed on time.
Read David Szostak's full review

6.5
Scheduling (32)
Workflow Automation (24)
Team Collaboration (34)
Support for Agile Methodology (7)
Support for Waterfall Methodology (7)
Document Management (30)
6.7
Email integration (32)
Mobile Access (28)
Timesheet Tracking (6)
6.1
Change request and Case Management (4)
Budget and Expense Management (14)
6.6
Project & financial reporting (1)
5.5
Integration with accounting software (7)
6.7

About Asana

Asana is a web and mobile project management app that according to the vendor, goes beyond typical PM software by enabling teams to track everything they're working on. With tasks, projects, conversations, and dashboards, Asana lets an entire team know who's doing what by when in order to help companies get results. Asana can be used for meetings, launches, or campaigns. Users can also add integrations for GANTT charts, time tracking and more. Asana is available on the web, iOS, and Android devices.

Asana Features

Has featureBudget and Expense Management
Professional Services Automation Features
Does not have featureQuotes/estimates
Does not have featureInvoicing
Does not have featureProject & financial reporting
Has featureIntegration with accounting software

Asana Screenshots

Asana Integrations

Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Evernote, Wufoo, Harvest, Slack, GitHub, Sunrise, Chrome Extension, Instagantt, Zapier

Asana Competitors

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Entry-level set up fee?Optional

Asana is always free for teams of up to 15 people.

Asana Support Options