Overall Satisfaction with Apache CloudStack
We have to provide a private cloud infrastructure in our university in order to supply the demand for virtual resources for our researchers. Instead of each one of them deploying to a small datacenter in their labs, we can centralize all hardware in datacenters with redundancy, reliability and all services of an SLA. As the orchestrator layer, Apache CloudStack facilitates the management of compute, storage and network resources.
- The software permits a quick scalability of hardware.
- For end users, the interface provides the experience of total control of their resources as if they had a mini data center.
- Allow us to set resource limits and quotas for user accounts.
- VPN site-to-site allows interconnection between the cloud environment and the client local data center.
- VPC feature allow interconnection between two or more user accounts without the need to internet routing.
- Sometimes you can find undocumented bugs that can compromise the entire infrastructure.
- [If] you don't have an official support channel, you have try to find out the source of the problem by yourself.
- Volume size limitation. Other players allow you to create volumes up to 64TB while ACS allows only 2TB volumes
- Minimal impact at migration from the earlier solution used (Citrix CloudPortal), once both solutions have a common kernel.
- Reduction to 0 with payment of software license.
Apache CloudStack is the perfect solution for small and medium companies or for those who are starting in the world of cloud computing. From my point of view, there is an advantage against VMware solutions with regard to software license price and open stack solution in regards to software complexity.
Apache Cloudstack provides a complete solution for different end users' skills. It works fine with the most known hypervisors and also has a great cost benefit for small and medium companies. You are able to manage a complete cloud environment with a minimal support team. Unfortunately, Apache Cloudstack is not the first choice as a cloud orchestrator, so it can be difficult to find solutions for other companies to integrate their products to a cloudstack solution.