January 17, 2019
Score 6 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Bim360
We are currently using it for active design projects within one of our offices. The main issue BIM360 is addressing for us is the ability to have live updates between files. The communicator feature gives us the ability to monitor who is in a file and what activity they are accomplishing. Some of the other features allow for non-Revit users to review and comment on documents during the design process as well.
- Live updates between design teams. This keeps the team up to date for quicker design and frees up personnel from having to do file transfers.
- The cloud-based platform gives your company a little bit of a break on computer requirements.
- Allows multiple offices and/or cloud-based consultants to collaborate on a design as if they are one office or one company.
- The ability to rebuild a model cannot be done. You have to rename the original file and then reload a new model.
- When you roll back your file using history, it deletes all the history back to the rollback. It would be nice if all it did was bring the history file up to the current.
- It would be nice for your files to automatically update to BIM360.
- We are able to complete a design quicker.
- The fact that your files are not on your servers. Anytime that the Autodesk servers go down you are down; it does not happen very often but when it does there is nothing you can do about it except wait.
- Because of how BIM360 licensing is setup it does force you to manage the personnel on a project closer. This can at times be viewed as a negative but in the long run is positive because with better management comes better profit.
BIM360 serves us better for live collaboration than any other product. Because it is under the Autodesk umbrella it is compatible with Revit and AutoCAD MEP and Civil 3D. Unlike the other software where the data sharing is a static process. We went with BIM360 ultimately for the live data capabilities.
The best scenario BIM360 is suited for is when you have multiple consultants working on a project. Another good time is when you use a sub-consultant on a project and the sub-consultant needs live access to the files. A scenario where it is less appropriate is when the design team is in the company or when live updates are not necessary.